April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April 2011

I hate our stainless steel appliances.  They look beautiful when clean.  Then, you touch them (or breath on them) and they are dirty.  I did find something that cleans them exceptionally well, though, and I have to use it every day or they look terrible.  I close my dishwasher with my stocking feet so as not to get finger prints all over.  They do not simply wipe off with a dishcloth or paper towel.

If you get or have stainless, I recommend this glass cleaner from QVC.  I've tried stuff specifically for stainless, and it doesn't work.  This does, but honestly, you have to use it every day or your whole kitchen looks dirty no matter how clean it really is.  And, of course, it works great on the windows and mirrors, too.

Oh, and my gas range top?  Black enamel.  Grr.  The glass cleaner works great on that, too, though.  Better than anything else, and I've tried everything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Maybe you should place it on a very conspicuous, so you see it all day long. - Pingo"

It is in a very conscipuous spot, on my bod!

Ooops, my ride is here.  Chat later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Great recommendations Pingo and Kar.  I will be sure to try all and let you know how I make out.  Thank you again!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Hmm we have stainless steel and don't have to clean that often.  I very rarely see fingerprints.  Everyone once in a while something will stand out and I get aggravated but on an everyday basis no big deal at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I just clean my appliances weekly as I don't have time during the week, but I find they look fine until then, but then again, it is just me using them, so maybe that is why.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If it were just me I'd clean them once a week.  DH notices the smudges and doesn't like it.  If you touch it, it shows.  Whether it bothers you that it shows is personal.

As non-intuitive as it might seem, I honestly think white is easiest to keep clean - doesn't show fingerprints at all, just actual gunk.  I've had white, black, and stainless.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---I close my dishwasher with my stocking feet so as not to get finger prints all over. ---

I know, it is not funny at all, but it did make me chuckle visualizing, you doing so.
    Thanks Kar for the QVC link. I will try use it for my windows. I never can get them as my parents used to have theirs. And it bothers me terribly. My father ued to clean them. He would wash them. Then dub them all over with a small bag of chalk and wipe that off with newspapers. Result: beautiful, see through windows.
    I clean mine, and no matter what method I use, there is always a haze. No streaks, but a haze. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I don't see fingerprints on my appliances, so that is weird or maybe because I use the handles on my fridge dishwasher etc.?  But if I seen fingerprints every day, I would have to windex off as that would drive me crazy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I use the handles.  It might have something to do with the type of finish. Ours is brushed so you'd think it would stay looking nice, but it doesn't.  Alas.

Pingo, the glass cleaner will clean your glass like the days of yore.  However, you must use very little at a time and dry it well with the cloth or paper towel.  The reason newspaper doesn't work anymore is that they changed the ink to cheap junk that smears off making it much less effective at cleaning - you end up with ink on the windows that shows as smears and smudges.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hey Kar, sounds like you might have been on Singer Island? We visit friends there every year....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I agree i can touch my appliances and i don't see fingerprints unless i was to lean on them for a while I guess.   i have folks at my house for parties etc and many going in/out of fridge and nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We have black front appliances and so far so good, they don't show many fingerprints.  Well I gues the dishwasher could but we've been good at using the handle. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, ladies I had a delicious lunch - a baked acorn squash with shrimp and scallops sitting inside and a creamy honey sauce.  It was delicious. 
    Danversport was jumping, and I did see their notices of both Easter brunch and Easter dinner times, Pingo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    [QUOTE]Good morning, Yes,tt, - I will be looking for a new freezer/refrigerator. It will not be much scouting, since it is built in and we do not have much of a choice. Already looked at the net - will be in the vicinity of $6000.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

A $6000 refrigerator, huh?

Must be one of those fancy models Ive heard so much about with the diamond studded ice dispenser and the gold plated crisper drawer...available only to well-to-do residents of Planet Pingo

Meanwhile a poor little earthling boy like me gets by with my only slightly less ostentatious Amana, purchased years ago at a price 1/5 to 1/6 that of yours

It isnt a "trophy fridge" like yours is, pingo, but it's mine, and so far it's done the job...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, we were on the intercoastal waterway (to the West) and the Atlantic Ocean (to the East).  I think it was West Palm Beach or Pompano...all ran together to me, but I know it wasn't an island. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

These were taken from the in-laws' condo (15th floor) - all the outside walls were glass, floor to ceiling, and edged with balconies with glass walls, too.  It was a little disconcerting at first!

To the West from our room (bed in foreground) facing intercoastal waterway

To the East 

Pool and tennis courts (not sure if courts will be visible, but they are to the right)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

By the looks of things, your in-laws are loaded, Kar, so obviously you married well. Bravo. That condo will be yours one day

Btw do you know how much they paid for their refrigerator???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ache, you crack me up.  But, alas, DH wouldn't want it - he kept calling it their "hotel room."  All the appliances are Viking...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

He is funny, Kargiver.  Great with the one liners.  Nice to start the day with a chuckle. 

Beautiful area, obviously, where your inlaws live.  The glass would throw me tho, I wouldn't be able to stand too close to the windows.  Also the height.  Did you do any shopping while you were there?  How is your fil doing post surgery?  Gracie must have been beside herself when you went to pick her up and bring her home.  She probably won't leave your side for a couple of days - or more likely, your DH's!

Good to have you back on the boards.  You were missed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, I missed you guys, too.  We brought the laptop, but no wireless and no desire to paw around in FIL's office even though he'd have said it was OK.

The glass WAS disconcerting, but we both got more at ease with it and could even lean on the railing by the last day, although, it still wasn't my favorite spot.  We didn't go shopping, but MIL offered to take me.  I think I'll be going down with SIL next year (her kids will all be out of the house) if DH can't take time off of work, and she's a shopaholic so we'll hit stores then, but it's not really my thing.  You know how much I stressed over buying those eggs, and that was under $100.  LOL.  Gracie did go nuts to see Mommy, but you guessed it, it's all about Daddy.  She's happy to be home, but I know she enjoys her buddies at the kennel and the owner, too.

Gotta get DH's pancakes in the pan.  Have a great day, everyone - it's great to be home with you!

~kar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

This came in my email this morning - cute for us grandmas.

The computer swallowed Grandma,

Yes, honestly, it's true.

She pressed 'control and 'enter'

and disappeared from view.

It devoured her completely,

the thought just makes me squirm.

She must have caught a virus,

or been eaten by a worm!

I've search the recycle bin

and files of every kind

I've even used the Internet,

but nothing did I find.

In desperation I asked Google,

my searches to refine.

The reply from him was negative,

not a thing was found online.

So if inside your "inbox",

my Grandma you should see,

Please 'copy', 'scan', and 'paste' her

and send her back to me!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good Morning all...Looks like a terrific day out.  tt, re the MIL situation, no matter what I said, did, gift I gave etc...nothing was right, I kept trying tho right up to the end, she is gone now,but I'm grateful to her as she taught me all the things not to do when I became a MIL.  I get along real well with my SILs, and their moms adore my daughters, maybe things would have been different if I had ever had that son I did so want.
    Got my dinner already for the13th, Easter decorations all up (only have 27 sets of Easter s&ps, still have some cleaning to do, inbetween the trips to the Drs. clinics and testing sites for Mr. DH.  Take care all & Keep Smiling. SS

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, SS, who wouldn't adore your daughters!  It is different tho with the MIL/DIL mix.  I think lots of times DILs go into the marriage with preconceived stereotype idea of what a MIL is like.  Lucky for me I really lucked out with the DIL married to my oldest.  She was eager and waiting for a new "mom".

Easter?  I just barely have most of the shamrocks put away, and then again, as you know, not all - those shamrocks on my kitchen windows stay up year round!  I just can't believe how close Easter is.  Finished up my card buying yesterday, but haven't even started on stuff for the kids' baskets.  Should get upstairs this week-end and bring down some of the decorations - particularly the large Easter bunny.  Don't know that Lilly has ever seen that, waving its paw, I don't think she's been here at Easter, usually we're at G.T.'s or I'm at their house.

That's great that you've got the mtballs/sausage/sauce all made for Wednesday.  I love a good spaghetti feast.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Ambergirl and other meatloaf lovers....care to share your recipes??  Please!! I love meatloaf, but for the life of me I can't make a good one, I've tried many recipes.....when I was younger my Mom made a terrific one, and boy did I enjoy those cold meatloaf sandwiches...alas, I assumed she would always be here and never asked for her recipe.  Thanks in advance. SS

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's always too bad when a MIL is overbearing and critical.  They should respect their son's choices, I think.  Thankfully, my MIL (and FIL, actually) are very supportive and more like friends than in-laws.  She's never said one negative thing about me, my housekeeping, cooking...anything.  She treats me like her own.  I'm sure you're the same way, SS. :)

We've decided on a 60" Sony Brevia LED-LCD TV (November, would DH say that's a good choice?), and I think I'll be getting it this afternoon after a Girl's Afternoon Out spearheaded by our neighbor, the one who had the jewelry party last month.  I'll have to remember to wear my bracelet.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the one ammenity DH truly enjoyed was the virtual golf practice room.  It was magic, I swear.  You use real golf clubs and balls and hit them into a screen with a golf course scene.  The magic golf genie then shows your ball flying through the air and landing where it would have if you'd been outside.  It gives you stats on how far off center it lands, the trajectory, the angle the club came in and hit the ball at...everything you'd ever need to know to make corrections and improve your game.  You can play a game with other players or practice your putting all afternoon in the A/C.  Now that he can get into.  That and walking on the beach were his favs.