April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Re: April 2011

All, I bought new appliances at Sears in 1984 (Kenmore) they survived our move, and then had to replace them in 2005, was told by the owner of the applicance store we went to this time, that nothing lasts that long anymore.  He was right.....6 yrs. later I needed a new dryer!! SS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I use a Bobby Flay recipe for meatloaf.  It's AWESOME.  Make about 1/3 of the glaze, though, it calls for WAY too much.  I love that it calls for grated veggies; makes it moist and healthy.  You can use whatever blend of ground meat you like, not just his choices.  I've served it with pride to company and got rave reviews.  Oh, speaking of reviews, it gets 5 stars with over 200 online reviews.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All this talk about Easter, - time to change avatar back to Cheerio's pic on - "Was that the Easter bunny???"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Have been spending all morning defrosting our small "beer refrigerator". The icebox was one solid block of ice. Of course guys do not think of doing these thing regularly.  It is now on,  and hopefully I will be able to use it this sometime this afternoon.
    In the meantime I have been discarding stuff from the big one. Not much I can or dare to keep. Our garbage collectors will not be happy with us come trash collection day, which fortunately for us is only a few days away. Whatever can go in the disposal goes, but there are still plenty of containers and other stuff for the trash bags.
    The place, where we originally bought the appliances from, said we were lucky it lasted this long. About twice it's "life". But the price he quoted us for a new one, was completely out of line. Guess they think they can, when people are in need. On the internet we will get it for a lot less, but still it does not come cheap.
    Ok, enough venting. But also a warning: Don't ever buy built-in stuff. It looks great, but is such a pain to replace.

Kar, what a lovely condo your in laws has. Such gorgeous view. Like the rest of you, I would certainly have to get used to all those glass walls. On question though. What do they do about the sun, when it is really hot out? Do they have some kind of blinds? Didn't see any on the pictures. We are having trouble with our huge glass windows, and they are not nearly as large as those. Hope they have someone come and clean them.
    I am glad to hear you had a good time. That golf room sounds amazing. What happens to the balls though? Don't they crash the screen? I am not a golfer, so maybe it is a stupid question.

SS, if you go to the "Recipes to contribute" thread, you will find several meatloaf recipes to try. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes - such homey food.

Just took a break. Still more stuff to discard. Only thing, I am so grateful for is, that it didn't happen next week, while we are away. What a mess that would have been to come home to. I am counting my blessings. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The cost of first class stamps goes up on the 17th, so I will be mailing my Easter cards before then...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the heads up, Hats.  I hadn't heard that.  I'll get them stamped and out before then.

For a change, was able to find some cute ones for the teens.  Stopped in the Paper Store in Beverly in sort of a round about way home from Danversport yesterday.  What a selection of cards they have.  I know there's one in Vinnan Square too, will have to check it out and see if they give as many choices.  I love cards, love to buy them and love to receive them.  Ever since I got out of school and started working, I would send a card at the drop of a hat.  Hallmark has several branch designs (at least I'm assuming they're Hallmark) that are cute and nice quality.  I remember a neighbor told me that no one ever sent her cards, other than birthday, since she has grown up.  I thought that was so sad - always make sure to find a sweet one to send her on the different holidays, from "A Secret Pal".

P.S.  No, SS, you are not that neighbor, even tho I did send you one one year signed "A Secret Pal"!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

I have my Hats. Any idea how much the postage will go up?  Will they be selling "Forever" stamps......I have penpals and I'm a card freak so I use a lot of staMPS.Hope I can catch my mailgirl, maybe she will have some news about the increase.  SS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, how much? Truly, I haven't followed it. Thanks for the heads up. - Pingo

ETA. I try to google it and it does indeed says that there is a stamp increase on 4/17. But looks like a first class stamp will still be 44 cents. I am confused.

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    [QUOTE]The cost of first class stamps goes up on the 17th, so I will be mailing my Easter cards before then...
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

The postal service proposed increasing the cost of a first class stamp, but it was not approved. Letters will still cost $0.44 for the first ounce.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back from shopping. What a lovely day is is out there - why can't it stay like this all year?
    Well, I guess in CA it can - this is the kind of weather son had, when he was living there.
    Have been hunting around for sunflower seeds. Finally found them in a large bag a Hannaford. Those are for the Chickadees, Titmice and the  Nuthatches. Our Goldfinches are eating from the sack, like there is no tomorrow. Have to make sure I fill it up before we leave on Wednesday. I still have plenty of Nygar seeds left from last year.
    I am still in the process of cleaning my ref. - have already discarded a lot. But for every thing I pull out, I check how long they can stay at room temp. before they spoil.
    Marinated stuff - like olives, pickles, ketchup, hot sauces etc. don't spoil. And would you know - that eggs can stay in room temps for 2 - 3 weeks before spoiling. The shell has some kind of antibiotic in them, so unless they are cracked - theyarev good. Just sniff them, and unless they smell rotten - they are good to use.
    I did buy new eggs, but it is a good thing to know. However, I may just make a huge omelet for dinner. I just hate to waste food. Sometimes, I think - we get carried away. I remember, my mom always had her eggs in a basket sitting on the counter - never refrigerated them --- and I am still alive. 
    Hope you all are enjoying this beautiful day.
    Blessings - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think you're right, Pingo.  I just googled it too - reads to me as tho it's only additional ounces on first class mail will increase.  I always just stick an extra stamp on when I know the card is one of those that says needs additional postage, or if an envelope I'm mailing is heavier than usual.  Probably will be something in tomorrow's Globe.

Made a tray of chocolate chip cookie bars to reward myself for what I knew I was going to do - clean the kitchen cabinets with Murphy's Oil Soap.  They do look a lot better.  Now I'm eyeing the two area rugs I have in the l.r.  They are so dirty.  I've been afraid of damaging the hardwood floors underneath, so just have been sprinkling baking soda on and then sweeping.  That does freshen them, but I think tomorrow I'll try a wrung out cloth of a strong solution of Woolite.  Can't hurt and might brighten them a bit.

It's gorgeous out.  Cleaned the birdbath and refilled, but no takers yet.

(Only saw your post redfish/bluefish after mine posted) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you and I posted at the same time. As for your carpets, there is a product called "Oxy Clean Spot and Stain Remover". It comes in a spray bottle. It did an outstanding job on our carpeted downstairs entertainment room, where people tend to spill whatever. Highly recommend it. - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The rugs aren't spotted or stained, just overall dirty.  I have the Woolite out on the counter - may tackle it a little later.  Baking some Pepperidge Farm tart shells to fill with banana cream right now.  Obviously my tight top yesterday didn't make that much of an impression on me!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Really pleased with the way it came out.  So much so, that I did the smaller runner, and both cat rugs I have by Claire Murray.  Highly recommend it for anyone who has a small wool area rugs.  Just make up a couple of gallons of cold water in a bucket with 1/4 cup Woolite, take an old nubby rag, wring it out good and scrub in circular motion.  See the results for yourself -

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

so sorry to have been been giving misinformation.  Still a good day to send those cardsl Patriots' Day/School vacation week will be a busy one with Maundy Thursday and Good Friday in the mix as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

WOW!!!! tt, that looks just fantastic. But I guess, one has to be on hands and knees to do such a beautiful job. What does that do to an old body like mine and  yours? Good job, tt - I am proud of you. Btw. nice carpet.
    Question: How long does it takes to dry? I have a carpet I want to do, but it is in a passage way. (Could probably move it to somewhere else.) - Pingo

[QUOTE]Really pleased with the way it came out.  So much so, that I did the smaller runner, and both cat rugs I have by Claire Murray.  Highly recommend it for anyone who has a small wool area rugs.  Just make up a couple of gallons of cold water in a bucket with 1/4 cup Woolite, take an old nubby rag, wring it out good and scrub in circular motion.  See the results for yourself -
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, according to the USPS the postage is indeed going up on the 17th. But their website is very vague about it. Looks like the 44 cents stamp will stay as is.
    Really confusing - but thanks for putting us on alert. - Pingo

[QUOTE]so sorry to have been been giving misinformation.  Still a good day to send those cardsl Patriots' Day/School vacation week will be a busy one with Maundy Thursday and Good Friday in the mix as well.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Thanks, Pingo.  The rugs looked so nice this morning when I stepped into the l.r.  The best part is that you don't really soak the rug (really wring the cloth out good), so it doesn't seep through, it's just a circular scrubbing motion on the top area.  Mine is just an area rug in front of the couch, so I could easily avoid stepping on it and the runner last night.  I can't say how long it would actually take to dry, but I would think if you did it late in the day as I did, certainly by the next morning it would be fine to walk on.  As to the position required to get down (only one knee I can kneel on!) you don't want to carry that picture in your mind - it's more than you want to know!  The runner and cat rugs were easier, I put two wooden TV tables end to end and laid each across as I was doing it, sliding it as I went along.  Expected to have hips, back screaming at me this morning, but apparently they liked the work out!  You could count it as your leg/back exercises for the day, Pingo!

Trying to clean out the freezer of odds and ends and found a couple of boneless ribs tucked in the back.  Just threw together ketchup, cider vinegar, hot sauce, brown sugar, chicken bouillion, garlic, mustard  and covered the ribs and a cut up onion in the crockpot.  Can't wait for the wonderful smell to fill the house.

Don't know where all this energy is coming from, other than my usual Spring cleaning frenzy that hits me every year, but do attribute it to being able to move without pain.  Can't wait for tomorrow, hope to get out in the warm temps and do a little clearing of the leaves off some of the gardens.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, there are sheers and Roman blinds on the windows to block the sun.

Got super carsick out with the girls - driver didn't keep even speed.  Still ill. :(

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Are you sure it's just the result of the car?  Usually that lets up once you're on solid, steady ground again. - - -  Could it be????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks - I suppose it could be, but it's not unusual for me to be sick 2 or 3 days from motion.  I've been extremely sensitive to it since I was just a tiny tyke in my carseat.  But, the timing would be about right...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, are you watching Sunday Morning?  Seems to be an "animal" show today.  In a minute they're going to have "star of the cat walk".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm watching, tt - did you see the enormous ones?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

6th try and 5th login - -

Yes, and I feel sooo much better about my portly Cheerio!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cheerio is positively slim, trim, and super svelt!