April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: April 2011

Oh Kar, crossing my fingers -- hoping it could be!!!

DH and I watched that "animal show" this morning as well. Cheerio is "underfed" by comparison. But how interesting to have the cats walking on a leash. DIL tried with their cat, but gave it up. He wriggled out of the leash, before they got out the door. I just loved the segment, where the large dog jumped away from the kitty. What a coward - wouldn't want him to protect my home.

Since we will be leaving Wednesday, it is workday today. Too bad with the beautiful weather, we are having. But I can bear it. Next week we will be enjoying a few days off with our sons and DIL in nice warm weather and swimming in their pool.

Enjoy the day - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I love Bill Giest.  That was a cute segment with him and his goldfish.

Just took the cover off the crockpot to give it a stir and oh, the house smells so good.  Put it on high at 7:00 so it should be ready around 1:00 to have with rice and peas.  And, of course, one of those Pepperidge Farm banana tarts I made yesterday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I tried putting a leash on one of my earlier cats and walking her around the yard - she didn't like the feel of the grass on her feet!  Never had been an outdoors cat, so walking her around our large yard really didn't seem like much of a treat to her.

Did you see the part with the woman who invented the cat carriage?  That's exactly what I wrote about a year or so ago when a woman used to walk by here with her cat.  Thought about her the other day and wondered if all was well.  Haven't seen her in a long time.  Perhaps she takes a different route, I may have been too "overbearing" since I was amazed when I saw it, ran out, and had all kinds of questions for her.  She had ordered it on the internet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    ..... And would you know - that eggs can stay in room temps for 2 - 3 weeks before spoiling. The shell has some kind of antibiotic in them, so unless they are cracked - theyarev good. Just sniff them, and unless they smell rotten - they are good to use. I did buy new eggs, but it is a good thing to know. However, I may just make a huge omelet for dinner. I just hate to waste food. Sometimes, I think - we get carried away. I remember, my mom always had her eggs in a basket sitting on the counter - never refrigerated them --- and I am still alive.  Hope you all are enjoying this beautiful day. Blessings - Pingo
    Posted by pingo

Pingo:  You probably know this, but you can test eggs by putting them in water.  If they stay sunk on the bottom of the cup or bowl (I usually use a large measuring cup), they're safe to use.  If they float, they're not.

I think Martha Stewart has a more involved method, but I've found plain water works fine -- and is a whole lot easier:  It's a good thing.  ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I just bought a harness for my monster cat, but I missed the story on leash training -- my kids had control over the remote this morning and Nickolodeon somehow won out over Sunday Morning -- go figure!

So far, the monster is not too crazy about the harness -- it doesn't help that he has long hair, which makes connecting the clips and adjusting the fit very tricky.

I'll post a picture of them one of these days -- the photos are all on the other 'puter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Sandwich. I made a huge 8 egg omelet last night from the room temperature eggs, with bacon and chives, the eggs were fine, the omelet delicious and none none of us got sick. Glad I didn't throw them all out - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Sandwich,

There was also a segment with a women who sells a cloth slip on harness and she says the cats adjust better to that because the part that attaches to the leash sets further back on them and is more comfortable, not so apt to have a choking effect.  Really looked quite comfortable, because there was no leather parts rubbing against the cat's skin.  Googling cat harnesses would give you a pic, I'm sure which would explain it better than I can.  With my cat, I had bought a small dog's slip on harness and tried that, but she really didn't like it.  This was years ago.  I was disappointed, thought she and I could walk the neighborhood!

Would love to see pics.  There are a lot of us cat lovers/owners on this thread.  Bg has Stitches (she calls him Juvenile Delinquent) and Amber has Tigger and Boo.  Mothermitzi also has a couple of cats, as well as Icer having "Baby".  We've all posted pics at one time or another, me being the one abusing it the most !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have the heat turned down today and windows open in each room.  Fresh breeze blowing through the house.  Love this time of year before it gets too hot, and I have to watch for my turtles that come up from the pond cutting down across my land, to cross the street heading for another pond.  Last year someone stopped and picked it up on its way back after laying her eggs, and took it.  I was so infuriated.  Happened to be sitting here at the computer and yelled out the window at him to put the turtle in my driveway that it was on its way back to its home in the pond in back.  He paid no attention, probably thought I was a lunatic.  Between getting turtles and baby ducks across the street, Spring is a busy time here on this busy street.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Managed to get the harness on the monster this afternoon and my DD and I took him out for a "walk".  It was a good thing we went out together because it really was a two-person operation.  Didn't take the monster long to walk right through a fence (and back and forth and back and forth....) so we had to take turns with one of us running to the other side and grabbing the leash.  The fence was the easy part -- it was the roses and holly bushes he kept running through that posed a challenge to those of us without thick fur coats.

Don't know why I expected him to be better behaved outside than he is inside!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The show said that it works best when folks start the harness training with kittens, but that with practice most cats will take to it.  Be patient. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The show said that it works best when folks start the harness training with kittens, but that with practice most cats will take to it.  Be patient. :)
    Posted by kargiver

He took to it fine, he just had his own ideas about where he wanted to go!  ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like my dog!  She was tough to leash train, very head strong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Hats, according to the USPS the postage is indeed going up on the 17th. But their website is very vague about it. Looks like the 44 cents stamp will stay as is. Really confusing - but thanks for putting us on alert. - Pingo In Response to Re: April 2011 :
    Posted by pingo

Yeah, thanks for misinforming us, hats!

I was operating under the assumption that the cost of a postage stamp would not be going up any time soon

But thanks to your passing along bad information yesterday (which prompted others here to post the correct information), I now know that, ummm, the cost of a postage stamp wont be, ummm, going up any time soon

How about that?

But anyway, folks...

Like pingo said, thank you for keeping us on "the alert" (oy)

Dont know what we would do around here without you...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats,
    Don't feel bad. - Pingo
    http://www.usps.com/prices/pricechanges.htm?from=home_lgpromo&page=NewMailingPricesApril2011

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It was a confusing read, Hats.  I had to reread it a couple of times to be sure.  No harm done.  He's just kidding with you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

All the more reason to buy the "forever" stamps!

Maybe the USPS is just trying to drum up sales of them.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I buy my stamps at S&S right at the check out when I'm doing my shopping.  The Forever stamps are what they sell.  Couldn't tell you what I pay for them, don't really take notice because they're added right into my order.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello All, yes I did see the cat walking piece on that Sunday show some of us watch...I didn't think any of those cats looked like they were enjoying themselves...just my two cents...

We had a router trouble over the weekend, our new router came Saturday but we didn't get it going until Sunday...

Nice to catch up with all the comings and goings though!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  It sounds like everyone had a great weekend.  Kar, beautiful condo your in laws have, you are very lucky to have such a beautiful place to visit.  My weekened was nice.  I went to a wedding Saturday and then cleaned the bathrooms yesterday....not to exciting I know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Starting to brighten here.  Have a list of about 5 stores to go to today to pick up different sale items I saw in yesterday's papers, and I'm looking forward to getting out in the warm weather.  Have a completely free week, and that feels good.  Hate to have to be on the go every day.

Hearing songs of birds that have come back after the winter, and see a lot of activity in the backyard.  Hoping one of these days I'll get the mockingbird back.  When I get through posting will check and see what attracts them.  Had one here for years until he left a couple of summers ago.  Hope you all have a chance to enjoy the day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We've got a lot of birds, too!  I must refill the feeder...

It's supposed to rain here today - hope you don't get it, tt, while you're doing your errands.  Nice to have an open week. 

DH is back to work after a lovely vacation.  I'm all spoiled, now, and am a bit lonesome.

The TV is great, but I'll have to rearrange the living room back to the way it was before we moved the little TV down here and had to move everything closer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sounds like all you girls have a lot planned for the day. So do I. The ref. problem set back a lot of chores, I wanted to accomplish before we leave Wednesday.
    Was up at 5 this morning to get the guest rooms ready. It was on my mind all night. So I decided, I might as well get up and do it. Didn't wanted to wait until I get back from TX.
    Then I tried to set up my watering system for a couple of my large plants. Found, the ropes I use had deteriorated (I left tem out all winter - silly me). Need to go to Jo-Ann's to buy new ones. And I want to go and have my feet pampered. Hot weather means sandals. I am hoping, I get to make the Pecan Pie and the Hermits (or at least one of the items), but time is now essential.
    Sandwich, you cracked me up with your story walking your "monster". I could just imagine you and your cat all tangled up in the fence. That was hilarious - maybe not so much for you.
    Congratulations on your new TV, Kar. As you know, the lamp in our TV blew. We replaced it and the picture was just awful. But by changing cables here and there, we now have a beautiful picture back again.
    tt, we had a Mocking Bird last year. I hear they don't like fir trees, but that was his favorite place - way up high. He would come and eat the seeds, we put out for the other birds, even though they are supposed to like insects. Haven't seen him as of yet. We now have 5 - 6 Gold Finches feeding at the sack. Do you have any yet? They are just so beautiful.
    Ok, the dryer just sounded - back to my chores. Or I will never make it - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No finches, but then I don't put out the nyger seed.  The only time I will see them is when the thistle in the backyard goes to seed.  Then they magically appear balancing on the stalks.  Birds have been at the edge of the little pool trying to drink.  Beats me why they want that old stagnant water when I put fresh water in the birdbath.  Crazy birds.  Guess they're used to drinking out of puddles in the gutter.  Must be downtown birds!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad the Pingos didn't have to invest in a new TV!  We swapped out everything to no avail - kept losing signal and had wavy lines that wouldn't quit.  We contacted Samsung, and our only recourse was expensive repair.  The bulb kept blowing, too, and we'd had it.

All these errands on your lists for today!  Too bad about needing to replace your ropes, Pingo.  The winter is so unforgiving; everything here is a mess.

If you make pecan pie, I hope you'll try the brown rice syrup since I know you and your family likes things less sweet than most, and it's a 1:1 replacement for the corn syrup that makes a big difference - the taste of the pecans is not eclipsed by the super sweetness of the filling.

I'm starving!  All this talk about food...I just realized I didn't eat breakfast.

Must go scrounge up a bite or two.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just stuck my nose out the door to see what the temp was - not all that warm.  Still very damp here.  Oh well, I'll dress accordingly in sweats.

Sections
Shortcuts