April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April 2011

Yeah, I don't expect we'll see the quasi promised 80 degree mark here!  It's damp and cloudy here, too.  Still no rain, though...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I was actually thinking of using the Agave Syrup (but less). But with all the things going wrong at the moment, I better not try to experiment. Just don't have the leisure  of doing it over.
    My "frozen" pecans went in the garbage. They tasted rancid. Apparently, they don't stay well. Some of the other nuts (cashews, raw peanuts and pistachios) I saved by sniffing and tasting, and I am going to make some spicy nuts for snacking. I usually buy nuts in large quantities and freeze them. They can stay forever - except when your freezer/ref. stop working.
    I won't tell you how much food I had to discard. I don't need another comment from Mr. Creepy. On a second thought, I should have offered it to him. That "poor little earthling boy" would probably have had a feast. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The one "hot spot" was supposed to be in my area, but last I checked it was only 57 degrees out.  So I'll believe that near-80 forecast when I feel it in my own cold bones. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad about your pecans and other food, Pingo!  Agave might work, too, but I know for sure about the brown rice syrup working great 1:1 (it's not as sweet so no need to reduce amount used which would change the consistency).

It's 57 at our house, too.  80?  Yeah, right!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Kar thos pics are amazing.  I might have been freaked out at first as well but would have tried hard to get over it:)  I would love to look at that each day.  Can understand DH thinking "hotelish" but when you are older might be nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Productive morning - a lot accomplished, including 6 trays of Pansies at Home Depot - $1.39 a tray.  Gorgeous out now, warm and sunny.  Have to catch the rest of Y&R and enjoy chicken croissant I bought (with chips, and pickles).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, allready!  Yeah, we got over the glass thing.  He just finds anything modern to not be to his liking, but it would be hard to decorate anything in that building in something more his style.  I'd like to live there no matter how modern the appoinments are at any age.  Oh, well, Gracie wouldn't do well there at all so we have at least 10 years. ;)  Although, DH's uncle has a full sized (50 lbs?) poodle...she seems happy, but she's no lab.

Nice job, tt. :)  Can I live vicariously through you today?  I've been lounging around.  Got the TV all registered, and found out that to get software updates we need a gadget that allows it to connect to our wireless internet connection.  But, that will also allow us to watch all the Netflix movies that are ready and waiting for immediate play.  Make me want to ask DH to move my elliptical trainer up to the living room, but what a montrosity that would be.  I'd work out ALL the time, though, if it were in front of this.  Right now, it's in the dank basement, and I have to balance the laptop on the handle bars and hope it doesn't fall off.  I definitely can't stare at the cement wall for 2 hours...call me lazy, but it just ain't gonna happen!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Less space to have to hang wall art as well:)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, no kidding!  But, the cleaning!  I'd rather dust paintings than clean all those windows, but, then again, they have a cleaning service that takes care of that...and a decorator for that matter to adorn what walls they have.  Gosh, it's a tough life they live!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

oh good point didn't think of that.  Yes the windows would have to be cleaned all the time for the full effect.  But if someone is there to do it for you all the more power to you.
    Anyways that picture is getting me through the day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What do you think, Icer, are they going to knock Sharon off?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Enjoy!!  I, on the other hand, can't look at the photos anymore - I want to go back already!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good afternoon everyone!  Kar, WOW, is all I have to say about that view!  I'm glad you got your TV, too.  Sony is a trusted brand, so I'm sure DH would approve.  His experience is that it is worth it to pay more for a brand name on these things. Otherwise, he says, if it breaks you might as well throw it away for lack of parts and service on the no-names.

Pingo, sorry you lost all that food!  I hate to waste food, and it must have been heart-wrenching to toss it.  You are right though that the timing was good.  What a huge mess (and stink) it would have been had you been away.  Speaking of which, are you all set for your trip?  Just a few days to go!

I forget who was asking about the meatloaf recipe, but mine is pretty basic... 1 lb of ground beef, 1 egg, 1 can of tomato soup, bread crumbs to your desired consistency, and about 1/2 can of French's fried onions (1/2 of that into the mix and the other 1/2 sprinkled on top).  Cook covered with tin foil for about 45 min at 375, then take the foil off and go about another 10 min to crisp up the onions.  I usually throw some potatoes in to bake along side it.

tt- DH and went to dinner Friday night with friends.  There was a table of 4 women, obviously friends for a long time, chatting and laughing and having a wonderful time, and I thought of you and your upcoming Finz trip.  Don't know why, but you just popped into my thoughts.  I hope that you enjoy it as much as these ladies were.  And, tight top be damned, have dessert!  Life is short, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi all,

Very busy at work today, so finally getting a breather.  My meatloaf recipe is very simple too.  It was my mom's.  I buy the meatloaf mix from S&S.  It has ground hamburg, pork and veal. I buy 2 pounds.  I cut up a green pepper and an onion, sometimes I will add a can of mushrooms. 2 eggs, bells seasoning, can of hunts tomato sauce (leaving some left for the top of the meatloaf) add seasoned bread crumbs.  I spray the meatloaf pan with olive oil spray. I find the meatloaf comes out easier. I put the mixture in loaf pan and pour enough of the left over tomato sauce to cover the top.  I bake 1 1/2 hours or until knife comes out clean. I let mine sit for about 20 minutes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Nov, I know your DH said to go non-3D, but we aren't using that feature, and, frankly, I don't know if this is "3D ready" or what - the box says something about it...?  I get so motion sick just watching regular TV that 3D is way out.  LOL

It was shakersilly who wanted the meatloaf recipe.  I like mine a lot because it sneaks veggies in there without being a veggie dish, per se, or ruining what I love about meatloaf - the meat.  Gives it nice moistness so you can go with leaner ground meat and not have it come out dry.  And, the balsamic/ketsup topping is surprisingly delicious.  I've gotten nothing but the highest praise for all my Bobby Flay reproductions.  Love him...wish I could take credit for all the rave reviews of "my" food, but I can't!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, I agree with everyone that view is stunning.  I'd be looking outside constantly.  Novem, nice hearing from you.  Is work still hectic?  Our living room set isn't coming in until the 23rd, but that gives us time to paint the office so the stuff that belongs in there can get out of the living room.  I'm actually having meatloaf tonight.  My recipe isn't anything special.  1 lb hamburg, one egg, 1/2 cup of italian bread crumbs and a pakage of onion soup mix and 2 squirts of ketchup.  I bake it at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Caught a little snooze, and have opened the windows again today.  Deciding who to call to dig the holes for my trays of pansies - guess it will have to be my youngest, he's the only "two armed bandit" I have left in these parts!

I have a mini meatloaf for 4 that I make, could be doubled or extended, I'm sure.  I'm no connoisseur of meatloaf, I love any, and those posted above sound great, but I'll throw these ingredients out there for your look/see - my DIL loves this.  Makes a very moist loaf.  (SS I may have already given you this recipe.)

3/4 lb. ground beef
    1 egg
    1/2 c lightly sauteed onion
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Mix

Soak stuffing in milk then mix with hamburg, egg and onion.
    Press into a 5x7 loaf pan. 
    Mix 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. yellow mustard, and 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp. ketchup and pour over the top.
    Bake 350 for 1 hour.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

that sounds yummy tt...  will def have to try that

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novembride, flattered that I popped into your mind when you saw the table of women enjoying each other's company - funny how we do that - one of my grandsons was away with parents and saw a bunch of women in a Red Hats group laughing and having a good time and said, "I can picture Nana doing something like that."

Amber, yours sounds delicious too.  Lots of ingredients that I like already.  Was thinking I'd give that a try.  Maybe divide it up into my mini loaf pans? (now that I know how to bake them!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speaking of cooking and Easter -
    Icer, have you ever made petit fours?  Looking through the file I have with all sorts of tried and not tried recipes, found a recipe for Petit 4 Glaze.  That would be a nice addition to G.T.'s Easter - do you think?  I'd have to make the little rosebuds before hand, unless I can find some already made and not too pricey at Michael's.  Hmmm.  Wonder how long ahead of time I could make them ??  At latest count there'll be 12 at his table.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

What does G.T stand for.
    For the life of me can't figure out.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Green Thumb - girls on this board dubbed him that because he was answering their questions about plants.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Thanks!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, good to see you. :)  I didn't tire of staring out the windows - it felt like we were almost outside even 15 stories up.

Just rearranged the entire living room so it's back to a "big screen" configuration.  Much better.  

All the windows are open, and, surprisingly, we've hit the 70s, and it's sunny.  Did the rain totally miss everyone?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Nice to see you too Kar :)  We didn't get rain.  I went out for lunch at around 1:15 and it was lovely.  I may even plant the two new roses I bought over the weekend when I get home.