April 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: April 2013

Kar, that turkey sounds like a great idea.  Will keep it in mind. 

Right now I have soup in the crockpot made with the bone from the Easter ham, some navy beans, onion, celery, carrots, a little garlic, some mustard powder and a bit of spice mix from Penzeys and pepper.   I'll salt it later; don't want to keep the beans from cooking.  It smells great!  Usually I make pea soup but found that I had the navy beans and felt there was no reason to buy peas. 

TT, hope you and Nanny friend decide to go to the Buddhist session so you can report back.  It sounds interesting.

Finishing up some scraps of projects, such as that closet.  Found an empty storage container so the very last hats and scarves are on the shelves now; there's actually a little unused space!  Be still my heart!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmmmm, that soup sounds divine, hats!  And, space in your closet, too...what a DAY!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw the shadow of a large wingspan mid afternoon - the hawk is back.  Seems to head down over the side to the pond as his final destination swoop.  He was right on the wisteria vine this afternoon.  A beauty.

Haven't heard from Nanny friend, hope she didn't take a walk up while I was out this morning. From her house she wouldn't be able to see if my car was in the yard or not.  I think she would have called and left a message.  She thought this particular session was tomorrow, but googling it, I couldn't match up the time/date and place that she said.

Pingo you must be just about ready to pick up your son.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day.  I spoke with G.T.'s partner - they are antiquing in Maine and having a great time.  He said G.T. had picked up a lot of treasures.

Well, think I'll take a chance and get into my nightie and robe.  Always good to relax after supper- which was very uninventive - opened up a can of potato soup, added a chunk of butter, and some black pepper and saltines.  Remembered to take out some hamburg to do something with for dinner tomorrow.

ETA:  Every time I look at my avatar I want to go, "Da Da Da Daaaah!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Cheerio is purring away here, all's right in her world.  She had her breakfast and then a few snipits of bacon, an egg plate to lap, a sip of milk, and now the blinds in here are open to lay a large patch of sun on the floor that will toast both sides - what more could she ask?

My heat has gone on a few times, so I guess it's not as warm out yet as predicted.  Wishing I could do some raking - when I was in Job Lots yesterday there were quite a few rakes being bought.  I miss being able to do those simple things, always loved the Spring raking and uncovering surprise little green shoots that were popping up underneath.  Have been keeping an eye on a very fat robin (coming or going, I don't know) that's alone, but covering quite a bit of territory in my back yard.  Watching to see if she is ready to start nest building, and where it will be.  A couple of years ago it was right at the foot of my driveway in the smallest of the topiaries.  Must  have been a first time mother, because she certainly had a lot safer places to build her nest.

Have dared to linger in my nightclothes - usually on a Sunday I hop to it and get dressed right away, always thinking my NH nephew might pop in - and pop in, he does, usually with a phone call around 8 or quarter of!  They're early birds and like to get on the road at the crack of dawn, forgetting that not everyone else is the same.  After 8:30 now, so I think I'm safe to maybe glance through the Globe and check out the sale papers, before hopping in the shower.

Pingo, I can picture your kitchen table laid with a delectable breakfast for that son of yours! So glad you are having this visit.  Warms my heart to think of it.  What do you have planned before leaving for Texas?

Enjoy the day, everyone.

("Da Da Da Daaaah") !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I just went out with just a sweatshirt on and it is nice and sunny and comfortable.  I took some chicken out of the freezer to defrost and will decide later what to make of it.  I have started the laundry; I think it's going to be a quiet day here.  Puttering around, cleaning up and out, starting projects, maybe a trip to Michaels because they have a couple of good deals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice lunch of a sloppy joe with sour cream on top.  Split the buns, laid them open and ate with a knife and fork.  With a beer, tasted delicious.  Concocted a peanut butter brownie recipe that I'm dying to cut into and try.  Wanted to use up about 1/2 cup of peanut butter in the cabinet, and the last half of the toffee bits.  Smells delicious - we'll see.

Intown son stopped by returning trifle bowl and said, "cupcakes and trifle were good, Ma".  Another vote for your recipe, Hats.  I myself am enjoying the jello cupcakes that I froze.

Nanny friend is stopping up later this afternoon with a tape someone loaned her of one of the buddhist sessions.  She said this particular group's chant she finds irritating rather than soothing.  Wants me to listen before we make plans to go.  Isn't today, anyway.

Fell upon "Signs" on TV and even tho I saw it many moons ago, don't remember some of the opening scenes.  Will take the rest of my beer and go in and wait for brownies to cool enough to cut.  Had to bake them longer than usual - amts of ingredients may be off.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Why would Nanny friend want to even consider going to a group that irritates her?  Oh, well, at least you get a nice visit out of it. :)

I got ground lamb on sale yesterday because was "use by" yesterday.  I actaully pushed it and made meatloaf with it and ground chicken today - it smelled and looked good.  (I hope it was because we both chowed it.)  I am LOVING the meatloaf muffins and will always think of pricesscal when I make them (and I'll never make a loaf, again).  I love the extra browned surface on each, the fact that they cook very evenly, and it only takes 30 minutes.  I don't top them with the ketchup and balsamic mixture before baking; it would slide off and make a huge mess, but I just spoon it on cold afterwards.  DH said this time that he likes the meat "loaf" so much he doesn't want sauce next time, anyway!  Served it with baked potato.  My meatloaf recipe has as many veggies as meat so I don't need a veggie side dish.  Having a nice beer as dessert.  

Yes, milder today, thankfully.  And, a quiet day here, too.  Maybe I'll make more brownies...or not, we still have cupcakes in the freezer from DH's birthday, and they are still as good as when they were fresh.

Saw my wedding dress seamstress today, again, on "I Found the Gown" on TLC.  Her name is Anahit, and it brought back great memories.  I took my best friend, the mother of the triplets, with me.  They had just gotten married themselves...my how life has changed since then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I can see why friend was a little disappointed .  People just try to help, and a lady at the group we go to for meditation loaned her this "beginner's tape and little booklet from a buddhist group she goes to.  You would have to have a booklet right in your hands to be able to join in and follow along.  Not every group is the right one for each individual.  Gave my older son a call and he gave me some different headings to type into google that might bring up a less ritualistic group meeting/lecture/meditation/spiritual guidance session. I'll see what's to be found within a reasonable distance around here.

The brownies are very interesting - very rich and moist.  Next time I will scatter the health toffee bits on top instead of incorporating them into the batter - that way they will retain their crunchiness.

Nice memories seeing your dressmaker on TV, Kargiver.  Time goes by much faster than we realize.  Nanny friend was saying it was 3 years since she sold her condo and moved back here - she had thought she'd be a lot further along in her life by now than she is.  Made her realize she has got to get herself out there in the world.  She's a lovely person.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon,
    Just wanted to say "Hi". Busy morning having brunch and hanging out. So much catching up to do. Jet lag overcame DS, so he went in for a nap. May not see him for a while. He is 5 hours ahead of us and last night was late, before we turned off the lights.
    The lamb/lentil dish last night was so good. Wish I had made double the amount to freeze. But when I shopped for it, I had in my mind we would be leaving the house in just a couple of days, so I didn't wanted leftovers.
    I am with your nanny friend, tt. I can't stand the chanting either.
    Have a good evening all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good Monday morning, everyone,

tt, indeed, that would not be a good fit for me, either - the point (imo) of a chant is NOT to have to read it to go along.  Simple and easy to repeat...right?  Anyway, like I said, a good visit with Nanny friend is worth it.  She does sound lovely, and time DOES go fast.  But, we all need breaks in life, I think, not always pushing toward something, but resting and rejuvenating from what lies behind...for a time, anyway.  Sounds like she's decided she's had enough recovery.

Interesting brownies?  They sound delectable!  DH is spoiled rotten with a "safe" baked good every day since Easter and wants more.  Why not, life is short, and these don't hurt him except for their being 350 calories each.  At his requeset, I've helped him lose 50 lbs since we got married, and he has about 10 to go (his estimation, not mine!).

Pingo, can just imagine the fun you are having!!  And, you'll be out there before you know it.  What a great year 2013 is shaping up to be for you and yours.

Well, it's 7:51, and I'm still in my jammies with my cuppa and cereal...got to put the keyboard down and get moving to make my appointment.

Chat later, everyone - have a great morning!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Sounds like everyone has has a busy weekend. Food sounds good all around. Helped a friend move on Saturday and yesterday was a catch up with laundry day, still not done. Made the slow cooked pork chops with egg noodles and corn. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Just juice here for breakfast. We ate enough yesterday; needed a break. But with this juicer it is easy enough. Cantaloupe, carrots, grapefruit, ginger, strawberries, spinach and cranberries. Yummy!
    Have to drag DS to Costco today. Didn't get the bird seeds over the weekend. They are to heavy for me to lift, so I can't pick them up, whenever I go there. Had to buy a small bag last week at S&S. Too expensive.
    Maybe a trip to the mall afterwards. He wants to get new jeans. Levi's are twice as expensive in Europe.
    Your slow cooked pork chops sound like a good idea, Winter, when you were busy moving.
    Some laundry to do too. Have to get ready to pack for TX. Have a good day everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

How I wish we could post pics - Newton DIL just sent me a pic they took Sat night of a baby owl sitting on one of their outside patio tables.  Cutest thing ever.  Hope it's mother was in a tree close by.

Pingo, when do you actually leave?  I should have followed your lead and just had "juice" for breakfast this morning, instead, fell back to my old old habits of 3 brownies and a cup of coffee!  Those peanut butter ones I made yesterday taste even better today.  I'll have to freeze them or I'll go right through them.

Dermatologist appt. today and then I've got to drop off a card at my cousin's for a party I'm not going to for a relative on her side, this week-end.  Suppose I will go down to BabiesRUs as long as I'm that close - that "dreaded Route 114".

You were a good friend to help someone move, Winter.  I should have done catch up washing yesterday too, but knew Nanny friend was coming up at some point, and never got down cellar - again, those "dreaded cellar stairs"!

Time to get showered and dressed so I can get out of here on time.

Mothermitzi, still thinking of you and wondering how you are doing.  Wish you would/could post a few lines to let us know where you are and how you are doing.  What we picture is probably/hopefully worse than what you are going through at this point.  Meaning - I hope you are well on the road to complete recovery and your old self.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, that's a comfort meal from my childhood, a favorite of my mom.  Very nice!  And, helping someone move...yikes, that IS a big favor.

tt, I'll help you with those peanut butter brownies...just put them in the freezer and I'll come by in another dream.

I haven't tried to use the photo button as of late.  I guess you have, though, to find it still doesn't work.  Too bad we can't see the baby owl...

pingo, I'm sure you're DS was happy to go with you to Costco and help with the big bags. :)

back from the chiro and TJ's.  had to put away the cold stuff before going out to lunch. I'm reconsidering going back out though because the princess is basking on her bench in the sun, happy as a clam, and I don't want to roust her and put her inside.  We don't leave her out anymore.  It was a risk, but I do miss the convenience.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hi everyone!  Just talked to a friend who was widowed a short while ago and she is ready to rejoin the world so we made a lunch date; something for both of us to look forward to!  She says she is ready because she has finally straightened out the financial complications, but I wonder how much the change in the weather has to do with it too!  My daffs are about to pop; will be so nice to see those nodding yellow ladies.

Daffy-down-dilly has come to town

in a yellow petticoat and a green gown!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back in, scanning the posts, and Princess, you're conspicuously absent.  That doctor's appt. last week, did it go alright?  Hope it wasn't necessary for you to go into the hospital again.

Did my errands this morning, even down to Route 114, and driving it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be.  Baby shower gifts are all set.  A lot of their stuff is definitely over priced, but I got one of the blankets she had on her list which was a decent price, and a decorative storage box she had listed - again a decent price, so I was quite pleased.  Had thought box would come all opened up and I planned to do it  up with $5 gifts inside and tie up like one of my gift baskets in a clear bag - but it comes flat, so rather than drive myself crazy, will put both in a gift bag.  Wanted to stop for a Reuben, but instead ran into Job Lots to pick up a tan sweater similar to the one I got a couple of weeks ago - gone.  My choice then was to go across the street for a sandwich or head home and catch the last half hour of Y&R.  Of course Y&R won out.

Glad your friend has agreed to luncheon, Hats.  One of the girls I get together with lost her husband a year ago, but she has scores of different sets of friends, right back to college chums who get together and go to the Cape each summer.  It took her a couple of months before she was ready to jump back into her active life, and we were talking last week, it's still hard for her.  I think mainly coming home to an empty house.

OK, got to get out of my "pretty" clothes and into some "do the washes, clean the house" duds.  That is, unless the mail truck I see across the street brings me some magazines to look through!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Gosh everyone it's beautiful out, go breathe some warm air if you can!

ETA; and say a fond goodbye to Annette Funicello and Maggie T!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah, robin redbreast has a mate hopping around the back yard with him this afternoon.  I'll have to watch and see where they head for their nest building.  Today they're standing with their heads tilted, listening, and pulling up either worms or grubs from the soil.

Beautiful day out, a good one to be out doing errands.  Have more to do tomorrow and Weds. along with some grocery shopping squeezed in there somewhere.  So much chicken in freezer, should go through my recipes and plan a couple of meals using it.  One would be my chicken/cheese that I haven't made in a while.  Think I have everything in the house for that except the Peppridge farm stuffing mix.  A chore to sit down and write out tonight so I'll have list with me when the opportunity presents itself.  Maybe invite Lilly's fam down for the chicken/cheese dinner.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning.  Looks like you have all been busy as usual.

TT - what's your chicken and cheese recipe (if you don't mind me asking)?  I'm always looking for a new chicken recipt. . .hopefully something easy!

Have a good day everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. I went home sick yesterday. My son had a stomach bug on Saturday and looks like I had it yesterday. I'm feeling better, so I came into work today. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Winter.  When I was sitting in the dr.'s office yesterday, the receptionists were talking about a "terrible stomach bug that is going around".  First I'd heard of it, and boy, I want to stay clear of it.  The one I picked up in December did me in.

Princess, the chicken/cheese recipe is time consuming to make, not a quick and easy one.  I'm sure there are similar ones to be found by googling.  I'm a  little leary now of posting.  Glad to see a post from you this morning.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all,

Got up super early with DH so he could get ready and go to Providence for the day (and dinner on the company) and am just coming alive, now.  I am not a morning person, lol.

Hats, I'm happy for your widowed friend now coming out of her mourning cave.  Spring, indeed, must have something to do with it, but so does having good friends to enjoy like you.

Winter, sorry you are sick with a stomach bug going around; hope you are feeling better.

tt, good for you getting the shower gift all set.  Isn't baby stuff expensive?!  My triplet family is struggling with necessities being so over priced; she is looking for a jog stroller since she's a runner, but holy cow!  If I'd been you out there contemplating a Reuben OR errands, I have to admit I'd be driving home with crumbs on my face rather than with the errands done - that is my favorite sandwich (and I ask for extra dressing!). 

Pingo, how is the visit going?

Prin, good to see you - hope you are feeling well.

Looking forward to a super warm day and walking without any outer duds.  Yesterday, I wore a fleece, but I was hot so I can imagine today I'll be more than set.  And, I'm foot loose and fancy free for dinner so I'll probably just have cereal - what a luxary!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar, there are lots of mothers groups out there that do tag sales of used items - especially mother of multiple groups. Maybe you could suggest the trips' mom google to find one near her?  You could also ask on the I&T board if anyone knows of one in the trips' area.  Baby necessities are pricey, and they go through the stuff so fast!!

Prin - easy chicken/cheese combos:   if you have a mac and cheese receipe that you like, simply throwing in some shredded chicken makes it a different meal, or coat chicken breasts with honey BBQ sauce and sprinkle with chedder and bake (like chicken parm, but not coated), and of course, my favorite grated cheese/garlic powder/italian dressing mix that we talked about last month.  We eat a lot of chikcen.  LOL...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Nov, it's a good thought, but given the 3 baby + toddler situation, whatever they need has to be delivered, LOL.  Unfortunately, we live too far away for me to be able to drop in and sit more often than I do go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, I think MissLily mentioned a mulitples sale in the metrowest area at times.