April 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Re: April 2013

Pingo, I posted earlier this week, and it's still there.

I think "Picker" is an ipad auto correct fail.  I think Winter was referring to Icer but had a typo and it turned Icer into "Picker". 

There were log-in issues this week and past weekend due to extreme high traffic on BDC probably as a result of more people looking for news about the bombers. It seems to be getting back to normal today.

I'm an infrequent lurker/poster. With two kids under 3 around, it seems like I don't have a lot of time on my hands most of the time but I will try to jump in when I can. Usually end up posting in parents but it's nice to read CC to get a break from "kid" talk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, I totally agree - the increased traffic is affecting the forum software.  Come by whenever you want adult conversation.  By the way, I avoided Confidential Chat for the longest time because I thought it was VERY adult conversation from the name, LOL.  ;)  

Had a lovely afternoon shopping!  I bought a rayon skirt that is reversible and cut on the bias so it has a lot of movement.  The opposite pattern material becomes a slip for the outside pattern you are choosing to show.  When you turn it the other way, the "outside" becomes the slip/lining.  It's from Christopher & Banks and was on sale.  YAY!!!  I'm going to wear it Sunday night when SIL and her hubby go out to dinner with us, my impetus for going shopping today.  

And, while I was out I learned that Sbarro's has healthy, low cal options.  I had 1/2 a roasted potato side (about 100 calories) and a steamed veggie side.  It was delicious, garlicky and not over cooked.  I brought half of that home, too, so dinner is done.  Or, maybe I'll put it in DH's lunch tomorrow.  Whatever, I don't care, it's good food I don't have to cook!  I'm saving calories for Sunday so it was nice not to have to get pizza.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It's just starting to be light; how amazing to look out the window and see the fluffy little flowers on the maple trees!  Every tree has burst into bloom.  I was outside for a couple of hours yesterday and the sun was hot. 

My grape hyacinths didn't do well this year, I think they are being strangled by the other flowers and I am thinking I might move them to the flagpole area.  Anyone ever tried to transplant them before?  They have foliage but only one flower....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Rain here, hope it stops before I'm to go out.

Regarding the grape hyacinths, Hats, I almost think it probably is easier to plant new ones.  Last year or the year before G.T. lined my buddha path with them and planted a lot around the little pond.  He may have transplanted them from his gardens, I'll ask him, but I think they were new plants he bought.   If they aren't blooming where they are planted, you have nothing to lose by trying to relocate them -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, ladies. :)

Not raining here - partly cloudy.  Hope your rain clears up soon.

I was hoping to find more clothes yesterday than one lonely skirt.  But, DH did love it, and it was worth the trip - I'll feel good wearing it on Sunday, and I have a top that's perfect to go with that fits...I think.

Speaking of clothes fitting or maybe not, I'm going through the master closet today and doing the donate vs. fits piles and evaluating what I need.  Then, a trip to Natick or Wrentham will be in order to fill in the gaps.  I'm not looking forward to the bill, but I have to have more than bras and jeans that fit if I ever want to go out of the house in something that flatters me at all.  While I'm in the closet I'll switch over DH's wardrobe from Winter to Spring.  

And, my big trip yesterday that was inspired by needing more yarn to finish my baby blanket did not result in more yarn - Walmart was out of it, darn it.

Oh, there's the SUN!  Will try to send sunny vibes your way...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tilted these blinds and opened them up a bit, and the rain has stopped, and I can see a sort-of, trying-to brightening in one corner of the sky.  Thank you, Kargiver!:)

The new skirt you bought sounds so interesting, reversible?  So many different outfits you can put together with it.  Hope you do find that the top you're thinking of works with it and fits.  As for those discard/give away piles - Saturday for the luncheon I tried on a jacket I had put in the give away pile, and it finished off the outfit I was wearing perfectly!  Guess who has a new spot in my closet?  Funny side story:  one of the ladies there had a scarf on that would have looked perfect with what I was wearing.  I complimented her on it and told her my envious thoughts - she smiled and said, "I've only just begun wearing them, my daughter made me put this one on this morning.  I'll have to tell her I got compliments on it."  We all need to break out now and then, of our little boxes we have ourselves in.

Sorry the store was out of yarn.  That's why I have so many half skeins in my craft cabinet - I always overbought when starting a project, for fear I wouldn't be able to match the yarn dye lot.

Checked over my card list for those I'll still need the in the next month, and plan to stop in a card store on our travels today.  I'm afraid it drives my friend nuts, because I take so long to pick out just the right one, but I'll keep an eye on my watch and give myself only 15 minutes before moving on - but only if she agrees to lunch in downtown Mblhd!

Well, Cheerio has already beat me to the unmade bed, so guess that's only thing I won't have to do before going out.  Better get around and shower and decide on what to wear today.  Extra reminder to myself - don't forget to bring friend's Christmas present!

Have a good day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So funny about your jacket and her scarf.  Indeed, I am looking forward to breathing new life into my routine with things I already have.  Not working I'm in a gigantic, hideous rut wardrobe wise.  Saves a ton of money and is a lot of fun like going to a free yard sale in your own house!

Gosh, yes, that's why I underbought this time - I didn't want yet another 1/2 skein that I'll never use but can't throw away. LOL!

Have a great time today, tt, at your lunch and definitely take that present with you or it may become her NEXT Christmas's present. ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you want to see the skirt, go to www.christopherandbanks.com and search on "reversible."  It's the skirt in the second outfit that pops up, the one with a turquoise floral print.  I'm wearing it with a black button down rayon blouse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just googled it - so pretty!  Like it much better than the black and white print.  the blouse you're thinking of will look great with it.  You'll be "swishing" around all night!  When I saw it reminded me of a last minute skirt I had found, along with a top, to take when I went to Hawaii.  Loved that outfit and got many more comfortable wearings out of it.  Only mine was a rose, black and white print, and the top a solid rose that had its own wide elastic waist.  Enjoy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. So this is the third time I've tried to post. Kar, I had a reversible skirt before and it was great. I remember taking it on a cruise and I was excited that I had two outfits in one, just changed the color of my shirt. So they took our fence down yesterday and left promptly at 4:30, with just one panel up. DH is not home today, so we'll see what's down when I get home. Think it's going to look good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is it a stockade like the one that was there?  Yeah, all workers seem tied to that 4:30 quitting time.  I think my roofers actually left at 3:30 days, of course they started at 7:30 when  possible.  Reminds me, have to call them and remind them about repainting the toyroom ceiling.

Nothing from G.T. yet about the plantings, he must be in an early morning meeting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

From G.T. re question about transplanting grape hyacinths:

"Good morning,

No, you can transplant them without any problems. Any time is OK.  The ones around your pond are new.

We were just commenting that our are spreading quite a bit in our yard."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, we are getting a six foot white vinyl privacy fence. I'll post a before and after picture once it's done. They started at 9am yesterday. We won't know what time they start today beacuse we are both at work by 9.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo and I can post in LoseIt, but not here.  This is my third attempt.

Thanks for the compliments on the skirt!!  I hope I can take it somewhere - your travel stories inspired me.

I've written more in previous posts that failed so I'll sign off early this time...can't type it all for a 3rd time only to be lost!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Love those vinyl fences.  They always look so neat and clean.  The old stockade is in the photo you printed of the plant project - how is that coming along btw?  Don't soak the soil too much. How many days and counting now?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, I just had a problem too, had to try 3 times in and out of cc to get the blank posting square to type in.  Go back to "Forums" and then come down and try again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ironically, now that I cut my comments short, I can post here, again.  Sigh.  They weren't that important, lol. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

They are probably working on some aspects of it - being able to post pics again maybe???

ETA:  I can get in to make corrections now, and obviously could add this ETA - progress!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Thanks to TT and GreenThumb for the info!  If I get around to doing it, I'll let you know.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes the stockade fence was starting to fall down and we just like the other one so much, we went with it. It was alot more expensive, but it has a 25-year guarntee and doesn't need to be painted, etc.

Nothing is sprouting from the plants. We've been watering them a half cup every other day. We planted them on April 15th, so it's day 10. DS is starting to get nervous as if they don't sprout he would fail his science fair project and likely the class.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

That is crazy he will fail the class if you can attest to the fact that you were following the directions and participating.  Has he checked to see if others in class plants have sprouted?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Well when the project is worth 60% of the thrid quarter grade he'd fail the semester. If he fails the semester I guess he wouldn't fail for the year, but his grade woudln't be that great. It's a science fair project so not everyone is doing the same project.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

hmmmm  I understand the whole percentage thing but on the flip side you can't control if a seed sprouts or not right:)  Maybe they were "bum" seeds.  I am not a gardener but I have friends who have planted and nothing happened and have been told the seeds were not good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If they were watered too much for too long the seeds will have rotted by now, and I suspect that might be the case.  There's a chance they might still come up, but I'd start new seeds pronto just in case these are dead.  And, yes, you can get seeds that are doomed from the start and not know it until they don't grow.

For the new seeds, instead of watering on a schedule, water only when the soil seems to need it.  Letting it get a bit dry is better than soaking it such that the seeds rot.  Make sure they are covered loosely and get as much light as they can.  If you do start new seeds, I highly recommend the actual seed trays; they are designed to yield the best possible results in the least amount of time.

Or, you can bag the seed idea altogether and buy plants.  Re-pot the ones that consistute the organic soil group in organic soil and go from there.  It's not perfect, but it's better than failing the project and class.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Can you use Miracle Grow seed starter dirt?  I planted Morning Glory seeds in 23 of those little fiber pots, put them in a tray, wet them down good and covered the whole tray with saran wrap, had plants sprouting 3 days later! 

I did soak the seeds in lukewarm water for 24 hours prior.

I never even watered them, just planted them outside a few days ago, most of them appear to be  making it!

PS: I put 3 seeds in each pot, only 4 pots turned out to be duds.