April 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: April 2013

Last night I heard a warbler; they are birds that sing sweetly around dusk from the tops of trees at this time of year.  Last year we had one in our yard, every night I could see him silohouetted against the sky.  It's wonderful what you can hear if you listen hard.  When we were in Florida there was a flock of mockingbirds behind the house, singing away in the lemon tree. 

Thanks for reminding me about the stpring peepers, maybe tomorrow night I will listen for them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, tt - I remember now.  Imagine a whole peeper city going at once!

hats, the birds, too, are really singing these days out here, too; no need to listen very hard out here in the quiet (or not so quiet, lol) back woods. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!  

After a really early morning yesterday (5:20) and late night (DH got home at 10), we had a super lazy morning today getting up at a record 6:50.  So, here we are, DH having just gotten off to work and me making my first cuppa.  Feels like noon to me, actually...weird.

Maybe because I'm already thinking about lunch, lol.  Finishing up the meatloaf "muffins" that I made with the lamb and chicken on Sunday (DH has them packed for lunch, too).  And, some leftover kale steamed in TJ's tomato pepper soup (diluted by 50%).  I recommend cooking it that way - one big bag of kale (TJ's has fabulous kale all ready to cook out of the bag) to 1/2 cup soup, 1/2 cup water, with a little lemon pepper and salt.

Haven't seen the weather, but DH said something about snow/sleet on Friday...yuck!  Hoping today is nice.

Have a great day, everyone,

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. What a nice day today. Snow? I think closer to Boston we are getting rain on Saturday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, Spring and Fall is when we up here in the hills can get snow when East gets rain...sigh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Lovely day yesterday. Was out and about enjoying it. No winter bundle up. Spent time w/ DS on our deck and I was looking forward to enjoy my cuppa there this morning, but -- oh, well.

Snow Friday? Are you serious, Kar? Re your bras. Since my weight loss, I needed new ones as well. So I ordered 3 on line. My favorite bra, I have worn for years, but a band size smaller. Of the three only one fit perfectly. The band on the other two was not to measurement. One was too small, the other too large (even using the measuring tape). So they are both going back, and I will keep returning and exchange them, until I get 3 that is just right. It is a real pain. The problem, as I see it, is that a lot of our clothing these days is made overseas or South America, where there is no quality control. They just crank them out with cheap labor. DH had similar problem with a pair of designer jeans. He tried on one pair, that fit him perfectly. Then picked up a second pair from the shelf to take home. Same model, size and length. Would you believe it, they were 32 inches long instead of 30? Marked wrongly. Fortunately I could just shorten them, so not much harm done. But the lesson learned is, that these days one has to try everything on, before buying.

November, I am always so pleased to hear, when someone nurses. Makes me smile. But don't be surprised, if you can't wear your old bras. You will most likely need a larger cup.

I am sure you must be looking forward to Lily and family's visit on Sunday, tt. My hips and knee felt fine yesterday, but I am aching this morning. What about you? Feeling better. The weather change has definitely something to do with it. Hoping the warm weather in TX will do them good.

Not much on the docket for today, except for getting the house ready to go away. And that means a good watering for all my house plants. And setting up watering systems for the ones that can't live for 10 days. DH will be back in a couple of days, but he kills them by over watering them. So I rather, he doesn't touch them. And then of course, I have to pack.

Oh, and this I want to mention. If anyone is looking for roses for their garden this year, Costco has the Knock-Out-Roses for only $13 each. They sell for $25 - 30 at the nurseries. DS and I picked up 5 yesterday. Beautiful stock. Nice and healthy in large pots. We can't plant them right now, but I know, they would be gone, when I get back. I will leave them in my mudroom, that has a skylight and they will get plenty of light and hopefully sun there.

Have a good day everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nice to see a nice newsy post from  you, Pingo.  Copied and sent on your rose info to G.T.  One section of their garden is devoted to roses.  Speaking of which, wish you could see (via pics) his plants inside.  The gardenia is huge as are some of the other blooming plants.  The bird of paradise I brought back from Hawaii 25 years ago reaches the ceiling.  What a beautiful room to sit in and read the Sunday paper.

I'm feeling fine this morning, but do have to get around and get things done.  One of the reasons I like having company - spurs you on to do what you should be doing.  Have decided instead of individual strawberry shortcakes, to make a strawberry trifle.  Thought of that as I spied the half of cake in the freezer, leftover from the one I made for the last trifle.  -  See how easily that word rolls off my tongue now?  HaHa  You'd think I'd been making them for years!  Thanks to you, Hats, I'm thinking of all kinds of combinations I can put together, this one just cake, strawberries, vanilla pudding, Cool Whip -  - layer upon layer.

Still not sure what day you leave, Pingo.  Ten days there?  The boards are quiet enough without the absence of you for 10 days.  Maybe you can get a post or two in from TX.  I'm sure we'll chat again before you leave.  Take care and enjoy that visit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you can SO relate to my bra problem - you described it perfectly and I'm sure you have the ultimate cause nailed too - terrible quality control.  I've got SO many to return!!  My credit card bill is way over what it usually is right now, but it will return to normal once all my failed bra attempts go back, LOL.  

10 days?!  Oh, what a lovely time you will have!  You can really settle in and relax in that amount of time.  A week often feels to short whenever I travel.  I know it was in Aruba!!!

Is this the year of the trifle, tt?  LOL, I love it!  They must look so pretty.  I should join the trifle party; I do have a plain, glass salad bowl from Crate and Barrel that would work nicely, I think.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh thank you for the roses information Pingo. I could use one or two. Novem, as for bras after nursing, even though I did it for 9 weeks I still needed to go up a size. It was much different 12 years ago, companies didn't have to give you a space to pump, etc. Had I been offerered that I would have done it longer. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Quick note - they are thinking of putting in a koi pond where the roses are.  He said they do well in the Spring, but come summer, quickly fade.  He thinks it's just too hot in the spot where they are - I'm wondering, how about the koi?  You don't want them to cook in water that gets too hot.

ETA:  Kargiver's and Winter's posts weren't up before I posted.  Sort of lost the continuity - "they" are G.T. and partner, in response to info about Costco's roses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Beware if they start serving fish at the nursery... ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re Costco;  I bought lots of bulbs there and they did not come back after the first year.  I would be wary of their plants/flowers other than annuals, I think they force and feed them for maximum show and not for steady year after year growth.  Just my opinion. 

Mostly, I love Costo stuff.

BTW here's a nasty trend I have noticed at Home Depot and Market Basket; plants no longer have hardiness (zone) information on them, instead they have a Q code and you are supposed to use your smartphone to find out whether the plants are suitable.  It sure has cut down on my impulse buying!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't the local box stores only sell plants that thrive in the area of the store?  Why would they sell stuff that wouldn't grow where the store is located?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry, Hats,  about your bad experience w/ Costco plants. Or was it only bulbs? We have only had good results buying from Costco. We bought all our Azaleas from them, and the show you will see in the Spring in our front yard is just phenomenal. Our Costco  Mandavilla,  I keep on my deck every year, are now 7 years old and coming back again this year. Plus I made 3 babies, that now are full grown. My Costco Hibiscus I have indoor is now 10 years old. It is 6 feet tall with a with an abundance of flowers. And I prune it and prune it, so I can still enjoy it inside.
    The Knock-Out-Roses I bought are very healthy. It is one of the easiest rose to take care of. The two we got from a nursery a couple of years ago blooms from the first frost free day until the last. We cut them down every fall and they come up again stronger than ever. It is the most disease resistant rose you can get and so easy to take care of.
    http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/kohome.showpage/pageID/45/
    I didn't notice the "Q" code at MB and HD. Have to look for it. It would definitely stop me from buying there. It really bothers me a lot, that the merchants  thinks everyone has a smart phone these days.

Kar, I would imagine the box stores would only sell plants for the area. But it would still be nice with a description on how to take care of them, before you buy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thank you Pingo.  In the interest of full disclosure, I don't physically nurse, but am an exclusive pumper.  The positioning was too much for my back.  Baby girl still gets all breastmilk though.  It is just as much work, sometimes more with all the washing and sterilizing, but a true labor of love, and I appreciate the support.  A lot of people around me think I'm crazy for keeping up with it this long. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem, it's great that you are able to pump. As I said when I had DS a company didn't have to give you a place to do it and I knew the public bathroom at work wasn't something I was going to do. It certaintly is a labor of love for your DD.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I thought all that was missing was the zone info.  I can see why plant care would be nice to know!  Thanks for the clarification.

Nov, I think it's great you're doing what you feel is best for your baby.  It won't be the last thing that people think you're "crazy" for doing if you're doing a really good job of parenting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

You are right Winter that I am lucky that it is accepted and accomodations are made.  if I had to do it in the bathrom, or my car, I doubt I would either.

True, Kar!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It just wasn't the norm in 2000. I believe it's protected now. So I nursed for 9 weeks as I had to go back at work at week 12 and I did not want any leaking problems. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

So I got that survery that you were talking about tt. Too many questions about news, what media I wanted it in, so I stopped taking it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting.  I never did pursue it on the laptop, and once I dismissed the message it never reappeared.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

It just wasn't the norm in 2000. I believe it's protected now. So I nursed for 9 weeks as I had to go back at work at week 12 and I did not want any leaking problems. 

Well, at least they wanted your opinion on some things - once I typed I my age in, as I said, it said, "Thank you,  That is all the questions we have for you right now."  Guess we know what age bracket they're not interested in pursuing!

ETA:  Obviously responded to wrong post of yours - meant it to be to the one regarding the survey.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It was all about which online outlet I use to get news, what news I want. If I have a smart phone/tablet have I downloaded news apps were they free, etc. I got to page 9 and thought it was too much so I just cancelled it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That was a long survey!  Just as glad they skipped over me and opinions/info from my age group.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I wish they had skipped over me...

Sections
Shortcuts