April 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2013

Enjoyed your company at breakfast, Princess, but I can see next time I'll have to double the batch - 8 pancakes were barely enough to split between us!  Hope you weren't disappointed that there was no bacon, but I thought better of it - had just taken the top of the stove apart yesterday to clean, and I don't want to have to do that again before Sunday's company.

Winter you spurred something yesterday with your mention of the spring show. Let me say I'm glad your son's was such a success.  I'm sure you really enjoyed it.  I finally googled the right OLA page and saw that in March they had had a "grandparents" day - showed pictures of the cafeteria all decorated and filled with "grandparents".  Nothing had been said to me.  Called my son and asked about it, he feigned ignorance and said it probably was just for the kindergarten and first graders. (??)  He and his wife are very active in the school, and somehow, well - - - - - -  Asked if there was any kind of a chorus or play event coming up,  he asked GD and she said no.  Last week they had put on "The Wizard of Oz", but he said only parents of kids grades who were in it could go, and so because neither of theirs were in it, they couldn't go.  Told him AGAIN, that I really wanted to know when there were activities that I could go to.  GS is in the 6th grade now and I have never been told of any of his or GD's class activities.  Guess it's up to me to keep track of their "event" page online. - And so, Kargiver, you wonder where this "kick of mine" about being uninteresting comes from??????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novem, that's funny about the coffee shop lady.  You could strike up a conversation with her without saying, "Are you toytrumpet?"  When I'm shopping, particularly in Marshall's, I seem to notice women now and then sort of looking at me and smiling - I suspect because it is because I've gotten to the age where my mother used to refer to herself as "cute".  But every once in a while, I think, " Hmmm, wonder if that's one of the girls from Chat -- - -"

ETA:  Avatar is pic of two geese on the roof of the house across the street - love it.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm sorry you weren't told about grandparent's day. I know at my son's school they do have some events that are only for K1/K2 students. The Christmas Pageant and this Spring Show everyone was invloved. I think there is a show just of the Choir in May but I haven't heard yet. My sweet irish looking son is always looking for another nana, I can pick you up on the way next time. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That would be nice - -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

It doesn't sound like you are often in my area, TT, or I would.  BUT - I am sometimes in yours and may just come face to face with you someday!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That would be nice too - - -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not told about Grandparent's Day - that would shake anyone!  Sorry, tt - I know that's painful.  I think society is getting away from communicating at all, they post to FB and hope for the best.  

Re the bacon.  I got sick of the huge, spattered mess, too.  I bake mine, now, and I haven't noticed it making a mess of the oven.  I put a whole package on a large (rimmed!) baking sheet on parchment paper into a cold oven and turn it on to 400.  Regular slices take about 22 minutes, but I do start to check on it around 20 minutes so it doesn't burn.  You don't have to turn it or anything.  I did it last night for the potato soup, and now I have a bunch of bacon to add to dinner somehow tonight.  Not sure what's on the menu yet.

I wonder if I run into you ladies when I see anyone who looks like the people's faces I've created, too!  But, probably not - many of you are on the North Shore, and that's a 2 hour drive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

TT - I have this issue with mother.  She feels that everyone should include and always be the one to contact her.  She gets mad/hurt when this does not happen.  I tell her often that she has 2 working legs, ears etc and can pick up a phone, send an email to make plans etc.  She shouldn't sit around and expect everyone to come to her no matter her age.

I believe in the past you have mentioned that you would like to attend some activities so sorry they have not included you.  This might be one of the times that since you are home you might have to take the initiative to ask every once in a while what is going and not wait for the invite.

It is hard to please everyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Who ASKS their adult kids if there is anything coming up on their grandkids' schedules that they need to be INVITED to attend?  How awkward and unreasonable an expectation.  An invitation should spontaneously come from the people who know the schdule first hand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to allreadymarried's comment:

TT - I have this issue with mother.  She feels that everyone should include and always be the one to contact her.  She gets mad/hurt when this does not happen.  I tell her often that she has 2 working legs, ears etc and can pick up a phone, send an email to make plans etc.  She shouldn't sit around and expect everyone to come to her no matter her age.

I believe in the past you have mentioned that you would like to attend some activities so sorry they have not included you.  This might be one of the times that since you are home you might have to take the initiative to ask every once in a while what is going and not wait for the invite.

It is hard to please everyone.

A mention of a chorus or skit the kids are going to be in would be all that is needed.  I'm not looking for an invitation, just to be kept in the loop.  But, I think you would not understand that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I agree Kar, I let my mom know when the event is and then she writes it in her calendar. I do the same with sporting events. It shouldn't be the responsibilty of the grandparent to always have to ask.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I believe there's an obvious difference in calling and asking, "What's happening in Johhny's life these days?" and being expected to say instead, "Is there anything on Johnny's calendar coming up that I should be aware of?"  Grandparents should be expected to do the former to foster the relationships, but not the latter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I disagree!  You can't rely on everyone catering to you to let you know everything that is going on in life doesn't happen.  This is in general not just this situation.

Winter that is wonderful you do that BUT I think many families don't extend the courtesy. 

TT, your comment I don't understand was not necessary.  Perhaps invitation was the wrong word to use.

My point is if your children are not extending the invitation or notice of upcoming events and you are interested than you have to take the first step and be proactive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It sounds like you are dealing with someone who generally isn't showing enough interest in her extended family.  We are talking about the "normal" circumstances of a grandparent who stays in touch, asks about life, etc who should not be also expected to ask about specific, non-recurrent events.  How can someone ask about a specific event she has no knowledge of?  If your personal experience with this goes deeper than this, that might explain our disagreement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't think you do understand, Allreadymarried.  If you talk to your mother in the way you posted ("I told her she has two working legs and ears"), to me that shows lack of any understanding of where she's coming from.  I know we are all different and our circumstances different, but I would hate to think any of my kids felt that way about me.

Now I'm going to join the geese on the roof of the house across the street - - -

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You wouldn't want to go out on the roof here, tt, it's sleeting!  ...or snowing...maybe both.

allready, you sound very hurt by issues far deeper than who should tell whom about events.  Trust  us that if there is nothing else problematic in the relationship and communication between the parents and grandparents is generally OK that it is the parents who should tell the grandparents about non-regular events they might like to attend.  If you cannot trust that is true, we'll all just have to agree to disagree with you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just saw the rain beating on the front room windows here.  Was toying with the idea of running out today for the strawberries, but instead will finish up what I want to get done around here (have already cleaned the bathroom and loaded dishwasher) and leave the shopping til tomorrow.  Thinking of a huge salad for lunch, think I'll put some chunks of tuna on it too.  May well be my last can, so my list for tomorrow grows and grows from just strawberries.  I think whatever you're getting there for weather is headed this way.  Notice trees blowing a lot more than when I got up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Actually every family I know does the way I'm doing it. Why would someone not do it, espically when the grandmother is very attentive. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Actually every family I know does the way I'm doing it. Why would someone not do it, espically when the grandmother is very attentive. 

Something is amiss that explains the disagreement, but it's probably not for us to know what it is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not sure WHAT it is doing out there now.  I hear more than rain on the windows and it kind of looks like it's partially snowing.  Whatever it is, it's going to be a mess of a drive, but I'm NOT missing my massage.  I'm in agony.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Be alert and careful.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absolutley, thanks. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

For special, non-recurring events (plays, grandparent days) I would expect the parents to inform the grandparents/ invite as necessary.

With sports, I could maybe see the grandparents asking "when is the next game?" or " is there a game this weekend?" Again, having general knoweldge that the kid is playing a sport with regular "events".  Having said that - we give the grandparents copies of DS's game schedule and it is understood that there is a standing invite.  I always thought that is just how it is with grandparents. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's the way it should be with grandparents.  I think some people forget or don't realize how important a part grandparents play in their children's lives.  For example, pumpkin's mom told me some of the happiest memories of her childhood were here with me.  We never know what's making the "memories" that are so important to all of us.

Speaking of which, never got to make cookies yesterday, because I couldn't make up my mind which kind, so this afternoon I'll make a batch of whoopie pies.  That's something I know everyone in Lilly's family likes, and is a favorite especially of Lilly's Dad (not to be confused with "papa"), who doesn't always get to come.  He's a great one to have for dinner - loves food, and is so appreciative.  Always goes back for seconds and never fails to compliment you on  how good everything was.  First the Y&R and maybe another of those peanut butter brownies I keep sneaking from the freezer, and another cup of coffee.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes Novem, that's how it should be and that is what I do for my mom. Events like shows, etc. I let her know the dates and for sports I give her the schedule. DS' other grandparents are in NY.