April 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2013

I don't feel I misunderstood your post, allreadymarried.  You stated again in this last one, "there's no rule grandparents have to be invited to everything."  You certainly don't understand what it is I'm looking for.  I don't expect or want to be invited to everything, but I would like to know of any activities my grandkids are involved in where other family members besides their mom and dad can go and watch them.  Not only gives me a huge sense of pride and bragging rights, but I think for the child it must give them a sense of an outpouring of love that these "other" people care enough to come see them.  The larger circle of loving people surrounding your kids, or anyone for that matter, the better.

Also, since you bring it up, telling your mother she has two working legs and ears, to make a call or email instead of waiting for someone to contact her, in my world is not "telling her nicely."

We're all different with different sets of family values, so I don't want to go round and round what is obviously different for you and me.  Just responded since it was my post you initially replied to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, hopefully to put this sore subject to bed, I'll say one last time that allreadymarried's issue with her mother is far deeper and more continuously hurtful (to each other) than who should tell whom about scheduled events so she is not going to see the issue the same way most do no matter how many times or how many different people "explain it" to her.

In other news, Good Morning!  DH is starting the fire, and I need to get breakfast and the java on. :)

Chat later,

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

You're absolutely right, Kargiver, it's time to end this discussion, and I debated with myself whether or not to reply to her last post, but felt I would, one last time much more gently than I was really thinking in spots. Subject closed for me.

Also, did you see if you skirt farther down we have a soap thread now?  It was the end of the day when I posted on it and reading it this morning it's kind of kabobulated, but anyway, it's there now and hopefully others will post with their favorites.  I know you're not a soap devotee, but I think Hats has mentioned them, and maybe Icer will stop in there with her views of Y&R.

Have a few pancakes leftover from Princess' and my breakfast yesterday, so looking forward to popping them in the oven to heat up.  Pretty leisurely day today, just running out for those strawberries and a few other things, ironing a tablecloth, and if the weather lifts a little, going over the kitchen floor very lightly.  Looks pretty dismal here right now.

Off to get dressed and go over the shopping list one more time so I don't come home saying, "Oh, I wanted to get - - - - - - too."  Chat later.

P.S.  Did you see my post to you on the bottom of the previous page?  Asking how you felt after the massage -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

My computer has been out of whack for a few days so no posts...Hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but, as thoughtful and giving as we may have been while our children were growing up, they are not the same....its a whole new generation......ss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Makes you kind of wonder, SS, whose fault it is.  Didn't we teach our kids by living example how to treat grandparents?  I felt I did, and I'm sure you did too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not all mothers are equally equipped to live well or teach life well no matter what generation they are part of.  We are all given the tools our parents had to give, as were they, as were their parents.  Just because someone gives birth doesn't mean they are automatically endowed with great communication and coping skills and everyone is stuck with the collective skills of their families, for better or worse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My massage was good but my neck was so messed up it's still healing.  My bras didn't work.  All the same size, 2 too small, one too big.  So, I'm packaging them all up, sending them back today, and after my trip to Natick next week to return the VS ones I'll be back in business.  I'm giving up on online try-ons and going to Boston.  There are specialty shops there that will have my size in stock and a number I can try on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, I definitely think that is the way to go.  Maybe google around first to have it mapped out where you want to go.  Have you thought about getting a lightly padded one?  That might do the trick.  I wouldn't leave these shops until you are absolutely satisfied with the way it looks with your clothes on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Not all mothers are equally equipped to live well or teach life well no matter what generation they are part of.  We are all given the tools our parents had to give, as were they, as were their parents.  Just because someone gives birth doesn't mean they are automatically endowed with great communication and coping skills and everyone is stuck with the collective skills of their families, for better or worse.

So true.  The difference in grandmothers is amazing to see; in our family sadly, the one who was interested in her died and she's been treated with indifference by all the living ones.  It's been extremely hurtful; especially the one who treats her step-grandchildren well and ignores her.  Then there was the one who pretended to love her and dropped her like a hot potato when she decided to leave her husband.  When she returned, she expected to be welcomed with open arms, but of course you can't erase the hurt when you hurt a child.  And when you see that your first cousins are treated like gold by their other grandmothers, well, it's just a perfect storm. 

If a grandmother or great-grandmother wants to be involved, for your children's sake, do everything you can to facilitate that even if it's a PITA for you.  Notify them of every occasion; don't pile up regrets for yourself. 

So many mothers, if you ask them, say that they would give their own lives for their children.  Maybe so; but would you give up 5 minutes a week to invite Grandma to their show or recital?  Which would be harder to do?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm sorry you had that experience in your family, Hats.  It's painful to see your children be hurt, and difficult to explain the behavior of some adults to them, and that it is in no way the child's fault.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, thank you for sharing - that had to have been painful.  It did illustrate my point, and as you can probably imagine I can relate to at least some degree.

tt, thanks for the validation!!  I hate to drive 2 hours (the gas, time, etc.) to go shopping, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right?  Yes, I've tried all manner of styles, padded, not padded, removable padded, push up, demi, full coverage, lightly structured, American sizing, European sizing...sigh.  Apparently, manufacturers don't give a rip about size charts and measurements. I'm calling a few places on Newbury and going in.  I secretly (don't tell) adore the necessity of having to spend a few hours in Boston by myself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Slicing up the strawberries and my fingers are freezing.  Bought 4 pkgs, and except for a few for decoration on the top, will slice them all.  Hoping they'll make plenty of juice overnight.  Saw shortcake biscuits there and almost wavered, but decided, no, I think the berries and the pudding will taste good together.

Nice to see the sun come out.  Hope tomorrow is party sunny anyway.  Plan to do a run to Marshall's after dinner and see if each of the kids can find a top they like.  Their dad can have the house to himself for an hour, then we'll have dessert when we get back.

Back to the berries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, you probably already know, but if you add the sugar now to the strawberries, as they thaw the sugar will draw out a ton of juice overnight for sure.  Yummy plan!!!

Walked Gracie from 11 - 12, and the sun was just starting to come out then here.  Yes, very nice, indeed.  It was chilly when a cloud passed over and pleasant with the sun.

DH is out burning yard waste in the garden.  Hotdogs and marshmallows, anyone?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yup, I do know about the sugar and sugared each layer as I went along.  Was just checking the bottom of the bowl (clear one) to see if they had made any juice yet.  Way more strawberries than I will need probably, but then you can't have too many strawberries in a strawberry trifle!  Right?  Filled the bowl and still have 1 pkg unopened.

Birds have gone right through the seed lately, so will fill the feeder up again today.  Company always love to watch them out the kitchen window while we sit there.  Last night's rain has greened everything up.  Grass, flowers poking up, shrubs.  Reminds me that I have to get on the go and find a new yard company.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

By tomorrow they'll be fabulous, and absolutely, you can't have too many, lol. :)

I need to refill the feeder, as well.  The chickadees have been chowing down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Was amazed to see all the forsythias, magnolias and early azaleas in bloom when I took a ride to the east a bit today.  They aren't out yet here!  But I do have daffodils in bloom.  These lowering clouds put a bit of a damper on my plans so we are home after a substantial late lunch.  Translation; don't need to cook dinner tonight!  Yeah!  Will read and putter and get back in my jammies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm still cleaning around, polishing up counters, wiping down decorative plates.  I don't need to for this company, it's family, who could care less, and won't even notice, but when I know someone is coming, I put a little extra effort into polishing the kitchen chairs, turning the chair cushions, getting stuff off counters and away where it belongs.  Partly because my kitchen is so small anyway, and I have very little actual counter space.  It's been a leisurely afternoon, me moving at my own pace in no hurry.

Nothing is actually blooming here except the crocus.  Other bulbs are up, but not tall enough to even support a bud yet.  Only thing I've seen bloom is a dogwood a couple of streets down, last week.

Supper for me will be the last of the strata (ham and asparagus), that I remembered to take out of the freezer when I took out the chicken this morning.  Had gotten really nauseous in the supermarket this morning, but once I got home and got a little something into me, felt better, and it seems to have passed.

I've a feeling my GD will ask about the plastic/yarn work she used to do when she was a little girl and came here - asking about it for her dau, Lilly.  Did a quick look/see to check if I still have any sheets of plastic canvas, I think I gave it to a friend, but will check one other place, so I'll be prepared if she brings it up.  Also want to get down a latch hook rug I had started for the side of her bed when she was about 10!  The printed pattern didn't run true  as you got into it, and it became very time consuming to figure out the indian design.  It is done in sherbet colors, and I'm going to finish it up if it hasn't all disintegrated!  Not for her bed any more, but maybe Lilly could use it.

Well, I'll get in that closet before it gets dark and check it out.  Nice to have posters on the boards on a Sat.  Thanks for your company.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, the rug thing - my daughter started one when she was little but soon lost interest.  I gave it away to someone who will, I hope, use it...but we cannot save everything.  Pinterest has piqued my interest in doing handwork; am trying to work on the projects I have in hand before beginning anything new.  No, not even for that new baby!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I gave a 12x12 pillow size latch hook kit of a horse to this same GD.  Don't know if she ever finished it.  She was around 12 at the time and started it here and then took it home.  Checked but can't find a smidgin of canvas.  Have the needles, but evidently gave it with the pattern books to a friend.  She thought at the time she wanted to get into it, but I don't think she ever did anything with it.  One of those passing fancies.  I can see the Indian pattern rug on the top shelf of the closet, but I'll leave it there unless she asks about it tomorrow.  If she brings up the canvas, we can always swing by Michael's and pick up some tomorrow when we're out - that is if it's still available, if people still work on it!

ETA:  Just walked in to give the toyroom a quick dustmop and lo and behold there was a bag with plastic canvas peeking out, not in the craft drawers where I was looking, but sticking out from under my craft case.  So glad I kept a few sheets.  I know there's plenty of yarn leftover from my knitting days.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

There you go, you are all set!  Sti down and have a cup of tea - I am!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You brought back fond memories for me, tt, re the latch hook.  I loved that.  Can't believe you found what you did - that's great, and I hope Lilly enjoys it all.

Went to the dump then the grocery store to pick up pork chops for tonight.  Kale, baked potatoes, and lentils will go with.  Putting the lentils on momentarily; they take longer to cook than the directions of 45 min.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I had my strata and then the lure of the whoopie pies overtook me - there are plenty -

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Never underrate the necessity of quality control testing, tt!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I must be coming down with something - it didn't taste as good as usual to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Better have another one...  ;)