April 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: April 2013

You know what?  I don't really remember the outcomse, so it couldn't have been too significant of a difference.  Although I can't really keep any plants alive, so its possible they all died!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can use pretty plant them in anything with good drainage, Winter, but those trays have covers designed to create a moist, warm greenhouse climate for the seeds.  They aren't very expensive, and if I absolutely had to ensure the seeds have the best chance of germanating the first time around I'd get 3 small trays.

thanks, Nov - I felt a little guilty comparing, but it WAS nice to be returning home from a family gathering and not feeling like I'm going to be sick. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I forgot about fiber pots,  I think I will use them to start some morning glories!

You can plant the fiber pots right into the ground, less messy than other methods. 

Re the oj and milk, not only will it stink, be prepared to deal with fruit flies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, November. - how did your experiment work out? I talk to my plants. I also play soft music for them. No, I am not crazy, - my mother taught me.  She could get a broom stick to grow. All my plants are thriving well.

Winter, that is a real nice project. Much better than last years. Two questions. Does it have to be tomatoes, and does he have to start them from seeds? If he doesn't have to  start from seeds, you could pick up the seedlings at a nursery, so he doesn't waste time waiting for them to spout. They don't need light at this stage. They need heat and humidity more. On top of your refrigerator is a good place to put them. To get the seeds to spout faster, place them on wet paper towels in a zip-lock bag for a day or two. This will also give you an idea, which of the seeds germinated. Make sure you cover them. I make a cover by placing 3 - 4 toothpicks in the dirt as tent poles, then then place a plastic sandwich bag over them. You don't want to water them at this stage, but mist them w/ water twice a day until you see the seedlings coming up. When they have their first two real leaves, you can place them in a window to get light and you can start your experiment. Have fun.

Re your jacket, Winter. You must call the manager at the restaurant or even better write a letter. I can imagine they were rushed yesterday due to the Easter crowd (still no excuse though). They will do something for you - at least pay for the dry cleaning bill. Restaurants have insurance for those things.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pinterest has lots of ingenious ways to make seed starters.  Soda bottles, toilet paper rolls, etc....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, the problem with using bought plants is that he has to measure the growth of of each plant at different points of the experiment. He needs them to sprout that's the experiment part to see how the growth is effected by the 3 liquids. It doesn't have to be tomato seeds, but should be started as seeds in a planter. Last year they had to do something with animals, next year is the kids have to make volcano's that errupt...that will be a FUN one!!

Hats those planters are awesome. Do they have holes in the bottle part?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You use a wick threaded thru the cap.  Directiosn here:

http://skruben.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-self-watering-seed-starter-pots.html

I think these would do well for your child's project because since you are putting the liquid into the base, it will be v. effetive to take pics to show that you started with say 6 oz of each liquid....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with Pingo's suggestion (if you are allowed) to get seedlings.  Measure the height and girth of the plants and calculate the % growth changes.  Lots of times seeds are duds and you won't know until a week or two after planting that nothing is going to come up.  Before you know it, too much time can go by.

And, about the small pots instead of trays, actually, you need more than 3 seeds/plants because we have 4 eggplant sprouts, and they are all different heights.  They are all being watered with water and have been right next to each other in the dirt - who knows why they are different, but lots of things influence plant health and vigor aside from what they are being watered with.  So, given you'll need a fairly large number of plants for each of the three conditions to assess the groups of plants as a whole, I'd get one whole tray of seeds or seedlings for each experimental variable so you can evaluate the watered tray vs the OJ and milk trays.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The problem is, it's more realistic for a sixth grader to start off with a seed and measure it with a ruler, then starting with a 3 inch plant and then going forward with percentages, etc. Don't believe we have the space for 3 of those trays in a spot where Yoda won't want to play with them. Over the fridge won't work as there is a cabinet over it. We need to have 3-4 weeks of testing. I don't think the milk or orange juice will produce anything. I'll wander around Home Depot and see what's there that we can used.

hats, sadly we don't drink soda in bottles enough to have 3 by the time we need to start (April 14th). I'm going to look at the directions for myself though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, go to MB and buy 3 bottles of their seltzer - 50 cents a piece. Those soda bottle plants are really nice and unique.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I will ask my son, it is his project after all. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I am sure that people in your office, relatives,  church, etc would be glad to contribute a few soda bottles...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, the kitty, I forgot.  Gracie likes to lay her chin on the sills to look out the window, but she goes to another window if one is blocked - we have a bunch facing the all important driveway, lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Winter,

Use pea seeds, they could be climbing or non-climbing, but pea seeds will sprout and grow very quickly.  Then, yes, you probably should pre-wet the potting soil with WATER for all 3 (it comes out of the bag so incredibly dry, it takes quite a bit of water - add it slowly, stir to mix throughout, then add more water or potting soil until you have the amount you need and all is wet.  not dripping wet, but clearly moist throughout without any dry spots.)

THEN plant a pea seed (or 2 or 3 just in case you get one bad seed) in each pot.  And AFTER that, water with OJ, milk and water.  I'd also do one more: soda!  Soda isn't all that great for us, but is it for plants???? 

Place pots in a very WARM spot that is also IN THE SUN. 

Pea seeds will germinate.  The question will be, how much will each grow, will they grow differently with different food?  Hmmmm... this is a rather fun experiment. 

Until they germinate, I'd put a bit of saran wrap over each pot to create a nice warm, moist environment - sort of like a greenhouse.  Once they germinate, of course you have to take the saran wrap off, but that would help them stay somewhat moist.

Also, he'll have to label each one, and also keep 3 different notepads with info re: when/how much he watered because not only will they grow differently (we hope) to milk, water and OJ, one might need to be watered more because it dries out quicker, or less often because it takes forever to dry out.  So he can see which one needed to be watered more, etc. 

Fun!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Thanks everyone. He may change the Orange Juice to coffee. Sadly I don't have the space for three soda bottles in a sunny spot that the cat can't get too. CT, he doesn't want to to do soda, I suggested that right away because I did that project also. The plant died with Coke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Winter, sounds as tho your son has a lot of good ideas "perkin" (haha) with his school project.   Good luck, he did so well on the last one.

Out early this morning, tho you wouldn't know it right now - slow as a slug moving around.  Hearing it's chilly to say the least out, isn't helping me get going either.

Nothing new going on here, did call G.T.'s MIL and she sounded herself again, chatty and bright, and was only sore, she said.  I'll peek in later when I get back and see what's "perkin" here!  Have a good day everyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Love the "perkin" tt. Have a good morning. I'm glad G.T.'s MIL is feeling better. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Cold night. Had to get up and get that extra blanket, I had put away last week. Better than up the thermostat.
    Good GT's MIL is feeling better. One never know, what a fall will do, when we get up in age.
    Getting ready to leave for my PT. Need to stop at TJ's on my way home. UK son will be here Saturday, so have to get some of the goodies he likes. Next Thursday we will be flying to TX. Will be busy two weeks.
    Did you find someone to clean your house, tt? A friend of mine use Angie's List, and are very happy with them. I may give them a call myself.
    Gotta run. Have a good day everyone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Did you find someone to clean your house, tt? "

I'm having lunch with the girls Friday, so will find out then if my friend's ladies can take on another client.  None too soon, my kitchen floor is a mess.

You do have a full couple of weeks ahead of you, Pingo.  Great time of the year to be out traveling.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good day Pingo. Glad that your DS is coming to visit Saturday. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I saw the tonic bottles for the plantings...We used those with some spikes to do watering last year...They worked o.k. but I did find that you had to take the spikes out of the ground and remove the dirt as it will clog the holes thus prevented the water to flow to your plant...just my 2 cents

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to hear GT's MIL seems not much worse for wear, tt; that's a relief.

Odd weather here.  Sun comes out the goes in and we have a snow flurry, then sun.  Back and forth.  Windy, too.

not much happening here, just thought I'd say hello. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I hope Winter's DS is as excited about his project as all of us are.  Sounds like he will be - he's a good student.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Awe thanks Novem. He's not as motivated with the plants yet, but I think once he starts he will be. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, just wanted to let you know my GD's husband just told her the trifle was the best thing  he ever tasted!  She and I agreed I had put too much caramel sauce in it, too sweet, but the bowl she brought home he gobbled up and evidently loved.  Another of Nana's recipes she can copy!  lol

I'm freezing today.  Woke up during the night cold too, Pingo.  Friend who drove me to G.T.'s had a terrible throat hoarseness and I was beginning to think maybe I had picked that up.  It's cold out today tho, and now I'm wondering if it is just the drop in temp.  Made a cup of coffee with my salad at lunch, but think I need a nice hot hot cup of Irish breakfast tea right about now.

Sections
Shortcuts