April 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2013

Nice you got out to lunch, Kargiver.  I "slaved" around the house - not really, but I did get a lot done, including the kitchen windows and windows in both front and back storm doors.  Spot mopped the kitchen floor and it looks fine.

Nice find on the sweater.  What color is it?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just got home. One of the owner's Jay sent out an email today saying the office was closing at 4:00 and he was taking everyone to Davios for drinks to say goodbye to me. I was so touched... Then all the admins received a $150 check for Administrative Professional week and I got one too. I was shocked! When I thanked Jay he said I earned every dime and as much as he was sad I was leaving, I set the bar high for the next person. So refreshing over a pink slip! I made friends there and I will def keep in touch. Hoping the new job works out just as good. Never left a job in my life after a few months.. sign of the times but hopefully it means the economy is getting better. Saw I love Peapod! I actually just received a free delivery and I have a coupon for another one if I place another order in a month. Long time customers get deals like that. Icer, loving the photo of baby! I do wish BDC would fix the attachment situation. Are you listening BDC? Nice day planned tomorrow. Joe is working, so DD and I are going to run errands and then I get to hang out with her and Joey. He is still mixed up on night and day, so she is exhausted. Will take care of him and make her lay down. Will clean her house too if she lets me. Can you believe he was a month old yesterday? That flew by! I hope everyone has a great night!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Huh, I posted a response to you, tt, a long time ago, and it disappeared.  Grr.

the sweater is bright pink; I wish we could post photos.  DH loves it!  And, I got a good start on the closet thanks to your encouragement. :)

ambergirl, so touching to have a good bye luncheon afterr so little time there - very nice!  And, gosh, it's been a month since Joey was born already?!  Wow...time flies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Up early by my standards, but not early enough for Harry.  I knew when I saw the birds at the feeder that he wasn't out there this morning.

Glad to hear you got some things moved aside in the closet, Kargiver.  Baby steps will get you there.

Kargiver, if you haven't already stumbled upon the blog section of AllRecipes, I'm going to turn you on to one blogger in particular that I know you would enjoy.  Her nom is "Petey".  I click on every morning to see what her latest is.  Click on "milkin it" in the "most popular blogs" box on the initial page, and it will bring you to her latest.  Once you read one, you will understand why I feel you would so enjoy her interesting life.  She is a remarkable person.  To the left of her blog is a box with a list of all her blogs, going back a ways will give you background of her health problems and the amazing things she still is able to accomplish.  Hope you enjoy.

I've got to get started on my day now.  Have a good one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Good morning ladies!  I got more done then I thought I would DD took a nice long nap and DS went outside and played on his new birthday swing set.  So all that's left to do is vacuum the living room and buy ice. And of course hang up all the balloons DS and I blew up yesterday. 

Amber  I've been using Peapod for almost 10 years now. And now with a 4 year old and a 3 week old I don't know how I would go to the grocery store!  My DD is just a week younger than your Joey who is adorable. I actually do all my ordering From my phone, which is much easier than using it to post here. So please ignore my typos :)

Hope everyone has a great day!  I am going to finish my coffee and then try convince DS to eat breakfast and take a shower! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

tt, THANKS for that - I will check it out tonight and an looking forward to it.  Yes, sounds like we are peas in a pod; I believe in the power of food to heal (and sicken) and am always trying to keep things interesting.

I'm hurrying around to take Gracie for a quick walk and then I'm off to shop for clothes after trying on a good portion of the pile for DH before he said, "You need new clothes!"  Ding, ding, ding - he got it. :)

SAW, glad you have joined us "up here!"

Have a great day, everyone!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Saw,

I thought the party was yesterday - sounds like you've got a handle on all you wanted to get done.

Couple who is picking me up today love scones, and I debated with myself all day yesterday to squeeze baking a batch in somewhere to send home with them, but I was really tired by the end of the day.  Because I got everything done yesterday, even with a few unplanned extras thrown in, there was plenty of time this morning before I get dressed.  So, showered, ate breakfast, and just now took a batch of scones out of the oven to cool.  I know they'll be pleased, and besides the rest won't go to waste - when I was talking to my birthday DIL Friday she said she might pop down Sunday.  There you go!  Scones all gone!

Hope your little guy has a wonderful day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're welcome, Kargiver.  I've thought of you many times as I read her blogs, and thought Kargiver would enjoy this - but I selfishly wanted to keep her for myself.  She does a beautiful job with her pictures and we all are constantly begging her to do books.  Children would love her tales of daily goings on with the animals.

Smart move with the clothes "show and tell"!

ETA:  The August 2009 blog tells about the ranch they live on and work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon,
    Had the darnedest time to get on the Forums today, and my earlier post would not submit. Let's see what happens w/ this one. Anyway, enjoying to have DS here.

The place we go to for breakfast, Winter - is North Avenue Diner. Not a fancy place, but the food there is just like home cooked and very good. They have a huge breakfast menu. We have been coming there for a while and anyone we have brought there have always been impressed. Anyone could say, "How difficult is it to cook up a couple of eggs?". True, but I really enjoy to eat Sunday breakfast out. Much more than eating out for dinner. There is a small parking lot in the back.
    How are the peas doing? Any more came up?

Welcome SAW. Hope your birthday party goes well today. How many little ones do you have to entertain, or is it just family and friends?

Enjoy the baby shower today, tt. Always one of my favorite parties to attend.

DH just came back. We are having the roof on our office building replaced, so he left very early. Now they want lunch, so I gotta run. Have a good day all.

Hope I can submit this one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ahhhhh, quiet.  The accoustics in that hall were really bad, I guess.  10 tables and 8 seated at each - a  lot of people, young people, and noisey.  She got a lot of lovely gifts and I was very glad I hadn't gone with my first choice, clothes.  That baby got enough clothing to keep it dressed for 5 years!  As with her bridal shower, the food was delicious.  One of her aunts does all the cooking.  The desserts were equally good.  One of the favors was an oreo covered with white chocolate with a pink "baby" written on it - always on the lookout for things GD and I can make and that would be an easy one, minus the "baby".  Centerpieces were small, one tier diaper cakes encircled with grosgrain ribbon, green and pink varying widths, and various pink and white flowers stuck in the top.

Debating with myself whether to run up to S&S for some things I would need if DIL does decide to come down with the kids tomorrow for lunch.  I'll check my freezer first and see what's in there that would feed a small group.  Know I have no whipped cream for a strawberry rhubarb dessert tho.  The longer I sit here, the less inclined I am to fight the Saturday traffic there seemed to be in town.  

Glad you are enjoying your son's visit, Pingo.  I love breakfast out.  Seldom go unless I've stayed over at G.T.'s, and then we go to a small diner that has the best food.

Kargiver, wonder where you went to go clothes shopping today.  Did you have any luck?  Do you ever shop Marshall's?  When I'm browsing for my XL's, I always see name brand makers (Michael Kohr, etc.) that I would love, but they're all XS!  HAha  I think you could do very well in there for tops particularly.  Last  year I picked up a top for my DIL that she got all excited about, Carole somebody, no one I knew, just thought it looked like my DIL.  It was in my price range, below $30.

OK, Cheerio is talking away here, so it must be after 4:00, her supper time.  Mail to open, as well as a phone message to reply to.  Hope you're all having a good day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good evening,
    Was just checking if I could get in to the Forums. No problem this time. Hopefully, I am up and running again.
    It sounds like a lovely shower you went to, tt. Too bad about the acoustics. One advantage I have wearing hearing aids, I can turn down the back ground noise. I do that all the time in restaurants and such.
    tt, I am sure you would like the diner on North Ave. They also serve lunch (and I believe dinner - not sure). We went there once for lunch, and DH had the best Reuben sandwich ever, he said.

Winter, is your fence all done? It must be looking very nice. We have a stockade fence at our office building. So much upkeep with it. Repairs every single Spring. We would love to change to vinyl, but are not allowed. We have residences as abutters, and the deed says, we must have stockade. The funny part is, that our fence rots, because those residences grow vines up the fence. Their climbing roots hold water, that w/ time rot the fence.

Kar, I agree with tt. You should try Marshall's. They have plenty of the tiny sizes, but it is hit and miss for us, that wear over size 12. I have a friend, who is a size 8 and always dresses to the T. She purchase most of her wardrobe in Marshall's. Their home department is also worth looking into. I have purchased many kitchen gadgets and cute serving dished there, for way under their retail price.

DH and DS are at the office. They just called for me to put the Tequila on ice and squeeze some lemon juice. I guess they want Margaritas. DS makes some real good ones.

Have a good evening everyone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

DS's party was a success, we couldn't have asked for better weather.  We had 7 kids and two teenagers and 16 adults mostly family and friends who are better than family. We're just settling down for bed now the last guests didn't leave until 8:45.  Hopefully everyone else had a great day too!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hello ladies,

Saw, so nice to see a new face and a friendly one at that! I agree about Peapod. Been using it myself for over 10 years. Great day spent with DD and Joey :)  Love him to death...  tt, haven't heard from you personally. Hope all is well.. I miss my conversations with you all. I know I can't be on here all the time and only at night but I am now working, so that changes things.  I plan on relaxing tomorrow and getting ready for my new job on Monday. Ugh... hate the first week. But recieved my forms and benefit package today and very happy : ) I know I made a good choice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Another bright and beautiful morning!  I made plans to have dinner with a girlfriend this evening and am somewhat regretting it because it would have been a beautiful evening to grill.  Oh well, tomorrow is supposed to be lovely as well, although I see that the forecast has been revised somewhat and the predicted temps lowered a little.  However, we took a long walk in the woods yesterday and saw some wildflowers and heard some birdsong so I am quite happy. 

TT, those grape hyacinths are doing better than I thought so now I am uncertain whether they should be moved.  My creeping phlox did not like all the snow of the last two winters and is not as beautiful as it used to be.  Needs trimming.  MB had some for sale the other day, if there's still some there maybe I will pick up a flat.....

Amber, I hope your first week of the new job goes well. 

Saw, glad that the party was a success and that you had a nice day for it.  Do you have lots of left over food?  One of the things I like best about parties is the easy meals of the next few days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

It is a beautiful morning! I have lunch plans later and looking forward to it. Speaking of grilling Hats, I need to set up my patio. Always love when it is done, looks so pretty. I also noticed all the trees have green now! Hopefully we have seen the end of the 40's! Well, just wanted to pop on and tell everyone to have a great day!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, ladies. :)

Got home later than expected after a successful yet exhausting trip.  I had one day, one chance, really, to get many staple clothes so I went directly to the Natick Mall, skipping places that are hit or miss as I find Marshalls and TJMaxx to be.  I've gotten good deals there before, but they are good when you need one or two pairs of pants, not a whole wardrobe in one day, LOL.  Got 2 cute skorts from Athleta, a yoga/casual black pant and 3 t-shirts that will be particularly nice for walking Gracie from lucy, a bunch of Land's End on sale at Sears (tops, mostly), and a few tops from Nordstrom.  I have already bought jeans that fit well so resisted the urge to go to Levi's where I know my size and cut.  This time I went armed with tape measurements instead of "size" - size is more meaningless than ever today - so I left it up to the clerk to pick my size, and it worked great.  I don't give a hoot what the number is I just want clothes that fit.  I had wanted a sundress, but if I don't get one I can always wear the skorts to BBQs and parties, anything I'd have worn a sundress to.  The one I found at Tommy Bahama was exactly what I had in mind except they didn't carry my size AND it was prohibitively expensive, anyway.  Oh, well, I should have not even bothered going in there.  Couldn't resist looking. :)

Met an old friend for lunch at John Harvard's.

Speaking of parties, that sounds like a lovely shower, tt, except for the noise - that gets to me, too.  One lady cooked ALL the food?!  Wow, bless her, it must have been good.  Love the diaper centerpiece idea.

SAW, glad you had a great party, too.  Love the "friends who are better than family" sentiment. I think everyone can relate. :)

Pingo, we never heard about your shopping spree in TX.  What is your plan with DS?  How long will he be with you?

Today will be cleaning, mostly, to get ready for SIL and her hubby to come visit after they spend the morning in Gardner looking for furniture.  Then, we're all going out to dinner.  I've managed to save up about 600 calories extra to blow tonight on dessert or drinks. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to SAW73's comment:

DS's party was a success, we couldn't have asked for better weather.  We had 7 kids and two teenagers and 16 adults mostly family and friends who are better than family. We're just settling down for bed now the last guests didn't leave until 8:45.  Hopefully everyone else had a great day too!

Can't get a clear box to post, so I'll try tagging it onto a reply to your post, Saw.  Glad your birthday party was a success.  That's a lot of people, bet your DS had a great time.

Kargiver, that's the way to shop - all in one swoop.  I've never been lucky enough to find a whole bunch of clothes in one day like that.

Ended up listening to that little voice inside me that said, "Get your grocery shopping done - get your grocery shopping done", and went up to S&S late yesterday afternoon.  There was a little eye of the round roast just sitting, waiting to be plucked up.  Cute little guy.  Only thing, I know that cut never makes any drippings for gravy, and I didn't pick up any help along the way for it.  I'll cook it with potatoes and my favorite veggie, carrots, for dinner, regardless of whether others are coming.  Too early to hear from DIL, as they went to a friend's wedding yesterday, and I'm sure that lasted late into the evening.  Have dish and recipe out to whip up the dessert and get it in the oven, if she should call.

Hats, your grape hyacinths may just be a little slow this year.  You can always wait it out and put in new plantings next year if you don't get the results you want this.

I don't believe there will be any Globe dropped on my doorstep today, think this is the end of my subscription.  Have left the tip envelope for the deliverer, on the porch hope she thinks to glance over for it.

OK, I'm going to bite the bullet and his "Add your post".  I'm typing on a blue field rather than the usual white, so don't know if it will indeed post.  Have the back door open already, waiting for warmth from outside to heat  up the house.  Have a good day everyone - oh, here's the paper girl, dropping off the paper next door - - - no paper for me, and she didn't come to the porch to pick up the envelope.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I went alone and with a mission.  I had gone online ahead of time and knew where I wanted to go and what I wanted there.  I honestly needed all new clothes and had to make it happen.  I can't say I had the most fun ever, LOL, but I got the mission accomplished.  If it weren't for Gracie, I could have done it in a more fun, poking manner.  Lunch with my friend was a blast, but the rest of the day was hard work, in essence.

Your roast dinner sounds great with or without gravy.  

Glad your post came up.  I'm off to the races cleaning for the morning.  Bye for now, everyone!

Have a great day!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Another gorgeous day. DS has lunch plans w/ some old friends. But he will be home for dinner. He will be leaving tmw. morning. So nice to have him, even though it is only for a couple of days.

I don't really do shopping sprees in TX or Marshall's, Kar. I only stop there, when in the area. Clothing there for me is usually misses. Once in a rare while, I will find something I like, that will fit. I am a lot more lucky at their home section. It sounds like you had a banner day picking up a new wardrobe. I am all good for the summer with my TX purchases.

Amber, what a nice group of people you left. How kind of your boss to take everyone out for drinks to say good bye to you. Hope your new job will treat you just as well. Good luck tomorrow. Butterflies?

We are having our yard taken care of tomorrow, and on Thursday, I am having my house "deep cleaned". My DIL talked me into it. With my hips, knee and back, I just can't spring clean the way I used to. It would take me weeks/months. This way it will be done in one day.

Making blueberry pancakes for breakfast. DS's favorite. Have a great Sunday everyone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tomorrow, he just got there!  Well, like you say, a short visit is far better than none.  I thought you were planning to restock your Spring/Summer wardrobe while in TX because they had more warm weather styles and stores; I must have been imagining what I would have done down there, lol.

enjoy the pancakes - that's DH's favorite, too.  We went light this morning, though, in prep for overdoing it tonight!

oh, and ambergirl, didn't mean to leave out your exciting news.  GL tomorrow!  Has it been 2 weeks already?!  Time flies.  So nice you were taken out to wish you well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I take it you've found a cleaning service, Pingo.  I only made one inquiry, that was to my friend about the ladies that clean for her, but I'm outside their perimeter.  There are certain parts of the spring/fall cleanings that I enjoy doing - polishing anything glass, for one, and washing down the woodwork, but the weekly grind of that bathtub, floors, blinds, I could gladly pay someone else to do.

No phone call yet, but I've peeled and cut up enough carrots - I'll reheat and eat them during the week anyway.  The potatoes I'll wait to see how many are coming.  Have a wash thrown in, stripped the bed and then realized all the sheets were down cellar waiting to be washed.  Heard the geese fly over last night around 11:30, something must have spooked them down at the pond.  A couple of stragglers just flew back down a few minutes ago.  Watched a robin molding her nest in the pine tree out front, plopping down this way and that.  Oh, and the cardinal who was singing out there for a mate the day G.T. was working around the yard?  He's found her.  He and she have been out there at the feeder days.

Wanted to take a ride out to Job Lots to poke for a few things I forgot to look for last time, but noticed when I got home yesterday both front tires look very low.  Unless DIL comes down, will have to wait until I can first get to the gas station tomorrow and have air put in.

BTW, Pingo, thanks for the name of that diner.  May try it for lunch one day with my cousin.  Reuben's are right up  my alley.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Argh! This stupid BDC. Couldn't get in earlier this morning. Later could type in the "blue area" and submit. When I wanted to reply to tt's post, I couldn't type in the blue area. Now it lets me.

BDC, WHAT'S GOING ON? ARE YOU LISTENING?

No, tt, I haven't found a cleaning service --- yet. I am trying them out Thursday for the first time. To be honest, I am a bit apprehensive. But I scoured Angie's List, read reviews etc. and called 3 companies. I felt most comfortable with the one, I selected. She had tons of great reviews and have been in business for a while. Will come with 4 other people. Will see, how it goes. Wish me luck.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I do wish you luck, Pingo.  Did you have a  list of things you definitely wanted done?  Did they give you an approximate time it would take?  Sounds like they are doing a major job, a day long Spring cleaning that one person alone could never accomplish in a day.  Do you plan to be home to be sure what you want done is done?  You've moved a lot faster on that than I have.

No phone call, so methinks no company today.  Just emptied my kitchen drawer (looking for something), washed it and the silverware tray out, and even threw a couple of pans out from underneath.  Guy who will be painting my front door has said he will stop by sometime this afternoon to refresh his memory on what I have left of the paint, and what preparation needs to be done before painting.  I had told him if I was out I would leave the can of paint between the two doors.

Dryer buzzer has gone off a couple of times, so I may have time before starting dinner to get the laundry up and folded.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, according to my DIL, "deep cleaning" means they will do EVERYTHING. Including the windows (inside and screens), bookshelves (take out all books and dust), chandelier, oven  - you name it. She had it done at her parents house for DS's birthday party, and everything was absolutely sparkling. I do plan to be at home, but I will hunker down in my laundry room. I have some ironing and some mending to do. Plus I bought fabric a long time ago for making some gift covers for wine bottles. Would be a good day to do it. Will cut them out ahead of time and just have the sewing machine running. She didn't tell me how long it would take. Just gave me a price. She brings all her own cleaning stuff, and uses only natural cleaners.

Too bad your company isn't coming. Must be a disappointment. I wish people wouldn't hint such, if they are not sure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You"re right, it is a disappointment, but she didn't say for sure, just a tease - "I'll talk with you during the week, or I may just pop in tomorrow.  I have something for you." - - - - I'm like any other kid, want my present!

Waiting another 10 minutes for meat thermometer to get up where I want it.  Smells delicious.  I don't mind no gravy, I don't use it anyway.  Was thinking of DIL and ggkids.  Got the bed all remade and so probably will do some baking this afternoon. Not sure what yet.

ETA:  Actually got a lovely gravy out of browned drippings.