April 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2014

Saw your ETA, Pingo.  Basket is baked, nice and brown and resting on top of the stove.  This time I'm leaving it on the foil covered dish, upside down the way it went into the oven, to dry out overnight.  Hopefully that will help the inside which always comes out white and soft.  One other year I tried putting it back in a slow warm oven, right side up and it fell in on itself and I ended up making another.  I've made two that were successful, and hoping this one is.  Have a couple of loaves in the fridge to thaw overnight for the rolls tomorrow.

P.S.  Does anything smell better than freshly baked bread?  Mmmm.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Glad the basket seems to be working out, TT!  I'm almost done with the wreath...just have to glue it up and make the bow.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What theme did you use?

I just took the basket off and peeled the foil off of it.  Now I've laid a piece of parchment over the overturned dish and laid the basket upside down lightly on it.  I'll leave it that way overnight.  I've made prettier, these strips didn't seem to bake together as closely as in the past, I used the same amount of strips, 5 rows each way woven across, and then of course there are two rows on the sides and the braid for the rim.  As long as it holds together, I'll be satisfied.  Now let's hope I do as well with the tips for rolls Pingo has given.

Dd you see someone has posted over in the food section where you put a couple of Italian recipes?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am not sure if I am too late...but I have used glass dishes to bake rolls...I usually go 325...but I think the really important thing to state here is when baking rolls...always look at the bottom of the roll ...never the top...meaning the side that has made contact with your baking surface....I better get my bunny tail in gear...I'll breeze back in if I can

Icer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

it's a graduation wreath, actually - with a mortarboard, diploma, school initials and year.  I coudn't get good photos last night - they have to be taken in natural light - but the gesture is all!  And we can't post them here anyway...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm off for the day, hope you all have a good time with your Easter prep!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,

Waking up to a gorgeous day. 50 degrees - awesome. DH is long gone. I may find my pruning shears and do some yard work today, if the ground is not too wet.

tt, glad your basket came out well. Since no one is going to eat it, could you possibly mod-pod (sp?) it inside to keep it together? The frozen dough is bread dough, so the the rolls, you will get, are hard rolls, not the soft Parker Rolls. They are two different animals, and needs to be treated differently. Just wanted to clarify this.

Graduation party already, Hats? What a special gift you are making. Too bad the photo option is broken.

I see we don't have a delete option as well. I was trying to post a photo of princess Pingo, then delete it. If I can't delete it, no photo. Sorry.

Winter has such a lovely weekend being away. Can't wait to hear about it.

Also have to get the guest rooms ready and stock the refrigerator for DH's brother and wife. I won't be here, when they arrive (can you see me smiling?), but I want to make it easy on DH. When I get back from UK, they will be traveling to Canada for a few days; then leave. So I won't be dealing with them more than a couple of days. That suits me very well. They are not easy guests to have around.

Where is Kargiver these days? Hope all is well in the Western part of the state.

Have a good day. Chat later.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Spacing is certainly way off in our posts still.

Sorry we don't get to see a pic of the baby, Pingo.  I don't think they are going back to the old system where we could post from pics stored on our computers, so there goes any future pics that I might have posted. anyway.  Would have had a pic of the bread basket up there this morning.  My rolls are cut out (with my biscuit cutter), on baking sheet, brushed with melted butter, rising (I hope) and will bake that way.  Have a James Beard step by step, of course his recipe uses home made dough, but still, these will do.

Sorry I missed you, Hats.  Hope you have a great time.  Early for a graduation, or maybe not at college level.  Haven't been out yet this morning, but see people going by bundled up.  Don't plan on moving out of the house.  Sent Easter poem to Fla friend and got an email back that she just got back up here for the summer.  She doesn't live too far from me, so suspect she may pop in - or not.

Already scanning mags again - G.T. mentioned since the kids never got their travel goodie bags, I could save the bags and fill them for he and partner when they go on their cruise - Found a couple of pics already of boys paddling on home made rafts - (haha) and will go that line, making up a larger bag for the two of them to share.  Sore throat myself this morning, so made an addition to my list of "goodies" - 'Ludon's honey/licorice cough drops'.

Hoping heat will go on just so I can set the sheets near the register to help with the rising process.  May just make my dessert while I'm waiting for rolls to be ready to bake.

Hope everyone has a happy Easter.  Looks as tho the weather is going to cooperate. 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I am taking a pic of these rolls just on the chance that we ever get to post pics again - OMG  think I rolled them a little too thick.  Let them double in size and then baked and while in the oven they rose again double in size!  Out of 2 frozen loaves I have 16 made for giants rolls!  Would really make good sandwich rolls.  Not telling G.T., just bringing them.  It's a friendly group, they can always slice them in half sideways.  Smell good and are nice and golden brown - just BIG!  

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Did the rolls come out well for you, tt? Hope your sore throat is not turning into something major.

Yes, what is it with the spacing? I tried to edit my above post, eliminating some of the crazy spacing, but it became worse. One can say, they are spaced out at BDC. Pun intended.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, made my dessert and put it in the oven and as I did, spied the pan with the melted butter still sitting on the back burner !  I am having some day today!  It's a layered dessert with peaches then a cream cheese batter on top of the bottom batter where the butter was supposed to go - so no chance of adding it.  Can only hope the moistness of the peach slices and then cream cheese will mask my mistake.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

sorry having been mia, I had logged off thinking bdc was dead and was hoping someone would try my gmail account.  Didn't realize it had been fixed until yesterday and have been busy with Spring cleaning and the doily since.

my great-grandmother made the best white dinner rolls I've ever had, and she used Pyrex.  Used glass for bread loaves, too.

will take a photo of the doily and antique hurricane kerosene lamp I just found to go with.

speaking of pictures, Pingo, you don't have to delete the whole post, just edit the post and delete the picture.  Make sure we can edit first, though!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Glad you are back, Kar. Good you checked in. You were missed.

I know, I can just delete the photo, but right now, I see no delete option. They may have taken it away, since someone "had fun" on another thread deleting right and left other peoples posts.

Spring cleaning sounds good. I did the beds and the mattresses today, and Monday my cleaning crew will be here. Got the guest rooms all done with newly washed sheets and blankets. Monday, I will ask the cleaners to do a good job on the guest bathroom. Have been a while. So DH will be all set, in case they decide to stay with him. DH thinks though, they may opt to stay with their sister. Her "maid service" will be better than his.

Have a couple of artichokes in the pressure cooker. Bought them at Whole Foods. They are huge. Those and a salad will do for supper. Have a good evening.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo,I was thinking of you all, too.

I meant to say you can edit the post that contains the picture and backspace to delete the picture itself from the post and save the change; the pic itself will be gone but the post that contained it will remain.  I only clarify because we are dying to see that pic of the newest member of the family!

i hope your potential houseguests go to "cleaner pastures," lol.

We dodged the BIL bullet this weekend, phew!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

HI Kar, Pingo and Trumpet, sounds as if you have been busy cooking, cleaning and baking today.  I am glad I skipped all that although I will be cooking a turkey breast tomorrow.  Spent today shopping until we dropped - Old Navy, Macy's, etc. etc.  

TT, would love to see a picture of your rolls. Pingo, if you remember, I posted a photo of my grand-nephew, and have posted pics of things I made, and then deleted the picture from the post. All moot, of course, because we can't even change our avatars now!  I'll be putting my Patriots' Day wreath up tomorrow afternoon, taking the bunny down...

Yes, college graduations start the first weekend in May - and that's not so far away!  And the wreaths can go up beforehand so....I know 4 young people - relatives and almost relatives - graduating within the next 4 weeks. 

TT, the XMAS Tree shop had tons of wired organza ribbon - 10 yard spools - lovely pastels and metallics and brights - 1.99 each, which is less than the cost of what I've been buying at the Dollar store, so I may head back there next week.

Just had a sandwich and a cup of decaf tea and I am going to watch the Doc now.  Happy Easter, all!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Easter morning!

I SAW THE EASTER BUNNY THIS MORNING!

How I wish we could post pics.  He was right down at my back walk, not a baby, but Peter Cottontail himself!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

HAPPY EASTER!!!!  

Ironically, this is the only Sunday I cannot attend church for having a severe allergy to lilies, lol, but am celebrating the Resurrection nonetheless. :)

Anyone doing ham so I can eat vicariously through you?  I love ham, but DH not so much.  We'll be grilling ribeyes on the patio wood fire pit.

...sorry, got taken away by the maple syrup reduction operation since we had to start the fire this morning - it was 61 in the house this morning.  Anyway, it's all been boiled down such that it boils at 221.  Perfect!  And, what a gorgeous color it is, now, too.  We evaporated about a quart of water from 6 qts of syrup that started at a boiling point of 217.

dh just left with Gracie for their hike.  I'm finishing the doily today.

Enjoy all your families and special dinners!

ETA: did the Easter bunny come bearing chocolate, tt?  ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think he ate it on the way - looked like chocolate on his whiskers!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning and Happy Easter to all my chat friends!

Thinking of your brother, Kar. He must be so upset, he cannot do the Easter service. And then again, he has a lot to be thankful for. How is he progressing?
    We watch "The Ten Commandments" with Charlton Heston - for the umptiest time - last night. Always a good beginning of Easter.
    No cooking for me today. We have brunch reservation a bit later today. Brunch is my most favorite going out meal.
    I will attempt to do a trial run with another photo to see if it is deletable, before I post the "real" one. Not today though.
    Have a good day and a blessed Easter.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I too wish I were making a ham, but DH asked for turkey.  So I have an almost 4 lb boneless breast that I will cook with tiny potatoes, green beans, squash and dressing.  Made the dressing this morning and washed the potatoes, but am taking the easy way with the rest - the beans and squash will be cooked in the microwave.

Hope you all have a Happy Easter! 

DH is at church and will not return until about 1, so plenty of time for me to clean and set the table, etc.  TT, I imagine that you have already left for W. Mass with your basket and I too hope that it will survive well....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, I'm always ready early and so here I pace and sit, pace and sit.  He'll pick me up around 11:00 after mass. The basket sits in a clear bag with the bag of rolls in it, tied with a pretty ribbon.  That's in one carrier, then the magazine bowl with the candy bagged and tied with a purple ribbon in another carrier, and lastly, I'll take the pie out of the fridge and put that in a 3rd carrier.  My driver, being a man, will not see whey they could not all go in one together!  Careful transportation with no chance of breakage, or mishap, that's why.

BTW, Hats, thanks -Oh, he's here!  Chat later.

5:00 addition - started to say, "Thanks hats for the tip on the ribbon at CTS.  I'll take a ride out this week and hopefully stock up.

Wonderful day at G.T.'s.  OMG, the food, the table - set with 5 individual vases down the center of the table each filled with different color fresh roses.  Rolls went over fine, they were good tasting, and the peach pie disappeared, no one the wiser for my forgotten ingredient!  Came home with ham, a couple of boiled colored eggs (which I forgot to do this year), a couple of samples of desserts others had brought, and as always a choc egg from Hillards from the gentleman whose partner just passed away this year.

Hope you all enjoyed your Easter Day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Had a wonderful day - see above - tried to cut and paste it into a new posting, but it wouldn't work.

Hope you all enjoyed your Easter Day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, we had a nice dinner, and I have just finished all the laundry!  Tonight is Midwives and Doc M for me...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm confused on the regular night for Doc Martin now - isn't it Wednesday?  I know I can't get the RI PBS.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Sorry, yes, it's on RI tonight.  They don't do Masterpiece on Sundays.

So the bread basket made the trip ok?

Did GT like the bowl?

Sections
Shortcuts