April 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2014

They have a round table in their foyer and he put the candy bowl, still wrapped in cellophane and ribbon, on it. Their guy friends are all chocoholics and spied it, "Oh what's that, chocolate?"  I told him to open it up, and he did, but didn't remove it from the bag.  A little while later one of the younger ones was saying he didn't want to look forward to retirement - nothing to do!  Another gentleman and I popped up with all we find to do, "including", says I, and I went on to mention the paper bowl making - "which I made for G.T. today and put the candy in."  "Oh, you did?"  says G.T.  "Yes," says I, "if you would take it out of the bag you could see it."  My older son started laughing, he is the one who I banter back and forth with and he said, - "Yeah, it wasn't getting enough attention for Ma, so she'll tell you about it and have you show it to everyone!"  Anyway, G.T.'s reaction was, "very nice" - which interpretated means - "oh yeah - not crazy about it."

The bread basket OTH, got plenty of attention as it was passed around with the rolls, and they all thought I was pretty clever!  I'm a person who needs instant gratification, so that went over big with me!

Just as well Doc isn't on tonight, I'm hooked on "The Good Wife" now - would the times interfere with each other?  Doesn't matter, because he's not.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sent a "thank you for a wonderful day" off to G.T. and received this back - so maybe he did like the bowl:

"The rolls were so good. Who knew for a last minute decision!
    Thank you for the paper bowl.
    Could not see it full of candy, so I dumped it out to get a good look. Will keep it out as a candy dish."

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Testing... Trying to post with my iphone.

Happy Easter. 

ETA - it works!! Yeah!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good Monday morning, a gorgeous Spring one, indeed.

Welcome Rama from the iPhone - seems like things are working!  Hope you had a happy Easter, too.

tt, I'm sure GT did love the bowl; you'd not put so much work into a mediocre project let alone repeat it.  Glad the rolls came out...mine are hit or miss, never like my great-g's tho.

Pingo, thanks for adding your thoughts about my brother's recovery.  Yes, he definitely misses preaching especially this Easter, but he got a great report from his latest full exam, and a full recovery is still expected given his brain scans and progress.  His doc is literally calling it miraculous, and of course they don't tend to throw that word around.

Winter, thinking of your family's loss and praying for comfort and continued healing of your hearts.

We transplanted lots of seedlings to their bigger pre-garden pots yesterday, and you'd never know they went through the trauma by looking at them today.  Will put the cold lovers outside in the sun and the heat lovers in the green house later.

in meantime, walking Gracie this morning so I can go to chiro and then further East to lunch with friend.  Will be back ~3.

have a great day, everyone.  Anyone have the day off? DH doesn't...miss him already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Spring is truly here, forsythia is blooming this morning.  Wanted to get up early to perhaps catch a glimpse of the cottontail again, but a restless night til around 5:00 a.m. when I fell asleep until 7:00.  By then he had come (if so) and gone.

In another one of those birthday/anniversary months for our family, and have more cards and gifts to buy.  I like to hit the stores when the crowds are at their lowest, so think I will pass on running around today.  Have loose candy to add to kids' baskets (they won't be back until tomorrow), before I tie them with the big floppy bow.  And, as always when I come home from a visit to G.T.'s, feel as tho I want to go through my house, tossing stuff, polishing stuff, even repainting, to give it the fresh, decorative look you get when walking through his rooms.  Their new fish/frog pond is in with decorative ledge rocks surrounding it, just waiting for warmer weather to add koi.  They've already had a visit (he tried to send me the video) of a mass of large crows yesterday, the sound, he said, was deafening.  I'm wondering if the visit was due, in part, to the addition of a good size water supply, where there has been none.

Have 3 books that will be due back at the library next week, will choose whichever one shows the style of writing I like, and start in on it today at some point.

Thinking of you, Winter, and the fun week-end I'm sure you've had.  Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.  Listening to talk at the dinner table yesterday of the cruise some of the group is going on later this summer, and particularly of the friend who had driven me out there, I gave him the same advice I gave myself when back in my 50's I had the chance opportunity to go on my first flight - a vacation to Hawaii - invitation tossed out by a friend I had worked with at the kids' school.  Didn't know how I could possibly do it financially, but I said to myself, "Go when the opportunity presents itself.  It may never come your way again."

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Hope you all had a nice Easter Sunday.

Welcome back, Rama. Did the little ones enjoy the Easter Bunny?

Wonderful to hear about the "miraculous" report, Kar. Your family must be so relieved. Can't blame you for an early morning walk with Gracie. It is gorgeous out there. The birds were chirping away, when I filled the feeder.

Glad to hear the rolls were accepted well, tt. I know you used the the frozen bread dough, but just so you know (in case, the guys don't burn the bread basket, and you have to make the rolls again next year), the same company also have frozen rolls in bags all rolled and ready to go. I keep those in the freezer, so I can make a roll or two, when I need it.

Winter, we are waiting to hear about your awesome weekend.

Have a busy day today. Starting with a dental appointment this morning. Then  a massage this afternoon. I have been dealing with a knot in my back, that doesn't seem to go away, so DH made an appointment for a massage for me. I don't know, what to expect, since I have never had one. Slightly nervous.

UKS will return from TX late tonight. Looking forward to have him back. He is taking the same trip as DH and I did last Monday. Hope he doesn't get stuck in Houston. TX has a storm coming up. 

Off I go. Have a good day all.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Finally able to get into Chat and post again.  Hope everyone had a Happy,Blessed Easter.  We all went to DD#2's house for dinner and then on to Grandaughters new house for dessert, had a lovely day.  Looks like Spring is springing, lots of new green shoots in the garden, buds bout ready to burst on the azalea bush, lilacs doing good, tulips have buds and a rose bush has wee buds.......couple more days of warm sun, a bit of rain and the yard should be in full bloom..take care all, ss

When life hands you lemons, Make lemonade!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Happy Patriots' Day, all! 

I walked back from the parade and yes, SS, lots of beautiful flowers are beginning to peek through the grass.  The little streams are full, the magnolias are blooming, the willows are greening, the buds swelling!  It's a beautiful day!

Pingo, hope your massage goes well, I will be interested to hear if you like it!

TT, your advice is excellent; take advantage of all opportunities for things can change when we least expect it!

I am reading Sue Grafton's "W is for Waste" - it's due tomorrow and would love to finish so I don't have to renew it!  I have been reading them since "A is for Alibi" way way back in the '80s....

Rama, did your children enjoy Easter?

Kar, sounds as if your busy summer schedule is beginning to ramp up!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a beautiful day.  Have windows open in most of the downstairs rooms.  Just made up another batch of the rice krispie treats, this time adding a tsp of vanilla, a tip that was on AllRecipes, I think it was.  Have been thinking of them for a few days since most of the first batch went home with GD.  Works out good, because I'll saran wrap a few for each of their baskets too.

Haven't sat down with the book yet, stripping bed, getting Easter decorations together to bring for their storage upstairs.  Have to look through the drawer to choose which garden flag will replace the bunny one.  Too early for the new cat with a bird sitting on his head?  Bought that Christmastime at the Boston Craft Fair.  Have bought a few from this same lady now, and while they are a good heavy quality, because I choose the dark colors they do fade some after their seasonal stint.

SS, sounds like a great day with your fam.  It was so beautiful, at least inland, warm enough in the sun for the guys at G.T.'s to sit out on the patio for a bit.  Us ladies stood in the sun for a bit and then toddled back inside.  Warmer there so that in their garden hyacinths, jonquils were already blooming, and their rose garden had green appearing, including a tiny miniature rose I had given him last Easter, that he thought had bitten the dust during the winter.  Signs of life.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I will make my token morning post - will be out most of the day.  Boards hopefully will pick up some this week.  I know we're all looking forward to hearing about Winter's fun week-end.

Another few shots of cottontail this morning.  I was surprised to see him out in the same spot around 7:15.  But then, my 4-5 snaps of the camera froze him, and when I looked back up after feeding Cheerio, he was gone.  No idea where he could have possibly hopped to that fast to be out of my sight, not enough of the ground covers have grown yet to shield him.  He looked like a chocolate bunny sitting when I last saw him.  Enough pics to send to the little ones, and tomorrow if he's around, I won't scare him off with the flashes.

Hope you all have a good day/week.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Does anyone else have trouble getting into the forums? I keep getting a base ball guy with an error message, that the page has been deleted or moved. So I have to go the long way around to get here. So annoying.

Son is back home. He has "princess withdrawals" already. He barely got in the door, before he had to face-time her. She was staring at the screen and "chatting" up a storm with him. He got so close to her, as he was more or less the prime caretaker while visiting to give mom and dad some rest.

Hats, you asked me to let you know, how I liked my massage. I didn't. It was ok, but I don't love it (I don't dislike it either). But if it loosen up my knots in my back, I will go. I have to say, the masseuse was very, very good. She had strong hands, and got right on, where it hurt the most. Hunkering down over a desk for so many years ruin people's backs. She gave me a few simple arm stretching exercises, I should do every so often during the day. I have a nice support for my desk chair at home. Ordered another one for the office yesterday.

Now that Easter is over, what's next for everyone? I have to get ready for my trip to UK and the house ready for "big brother", before I leave. And I have to think ahead getting the office to run smoothly (payroll, paying bills etc.), while I am gone. UK son wants to do some clothes shopping too. So it is going to be a very busy week.

Nice that the weather is better now. Makes running around so much easier. Windows and sliders are all open this morning. So nice to get some fresh air in the house. Have a good day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hello Everyone - So happy the boards are working again.  I've missed all of the updates!  Looks like everyon had a nice Easter, as did we.  I had brunch for 12 at my house.

Bella is getting so big, and she and Spencer just adore each other!  We couldn't be happer.

Have a great day everyone.  Enjoy the sunshin!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Well, it took several attempts to even FIND the boards in the new format, then they were all messed up and I had no idea what was going on.  Looks like things are back in order now though.  Glad to know everyone is doing well now that spring seems to finally be here.  Its so great to get outside with baby girl and puppy.  Little creatures need sunshine and fresh air!!!  They are both happy, and sleeping soundly at night.  Only downside is I think BG is battling allergies, the poor kid.  Doesn't slow her down too much though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I am shut out from my regular account so had to go over to IE to be able to post today.  Glad to see so many of you checking in and that everyone has good news today!  This is not working for me totally but can at least post something.

Pingo, I have the same problem of being hunched over the keyboard too much and have been having a lot of shoulder pain.  The stretches should help but I also took the shoulder strap off my purse so I have to carry it in my hand and that has helped too.  I think I would not enjoy a massage either - even a manicure is unpleasant to me - don't like to be touched by strangers.  Glad Uncle and Baby have bonded!  Amazing how the face recognition thing works long distance, isn't it?

Princess, glad the pets are still copacetic.

Did lots of errands today and still have more...chat later if they ever get the software working....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Funny about that shoulder strap, Hats. I got a new pocket book a couple of years ago, for the same reason. One with a short strap, that can go on my shoulder, if I wish - or be held by hand. If I keep it on the shoulder, I kind of have to hold on to it by my hand as well, and that takes off the weighing down the shoulder. Plus, now I only carry the bare necessities with me. I unloaded the rest (pad and pen, coupons, hand lotion, motrin etc.) in another purse, I keep in my car. Since you asked, I kind of had the feeling, you are like me re a massage. I am glad I am not the only one.

Nice to see more people checking in. Good to hear from you November and Princess. I had a heck of a time getting on as well. Fortunately my son is at home these days, and he helped me fix it. Please don't ask me how he did it. I have no clue. His fingers flew so fast, I couldn't follow him. Click, click, click and there is was. The youngsters have have a big advantage over us up in age ladies. LOL

Haven't heard from Winter yet about her awesome weekend. She has probably run in to posting problems as well.

Have to think about dinner. Nothing taken out yet. Maybe Pad Thai or a stir-fry of some kind. Have a good evening.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning.  Pingo & TT - just wanted to let you know that MIL talked to Peter the other day.  He still has a long road, but is doing okay.  He says he misses work so much, and MIL let him know that his customers miss him too (she didn't say "Pingo" & "TT" though, lol). 

Just wanted to pass the word along.  Happy to see that the boards are now working!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Had no intention of posting today - not much chatter lately, but when I clicked the computer on and saw your post about Peter Princess, had to jump in.  I'm so glad his health is improving.  I look for him each time I go, but have stopped asking, as the last time I asked one of the pharmacists gave July as a possible return to work.  Nice of your mother to pass on Pingo's and my good wishes.  I suspect he probably knows who I am anyway, since I always engaged him in conversation, as you would a friend, and I'm sure Pingo probably did the same.  A nice man.  Thanks for keeping us up to date on how he's doing.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Thank you, Princess, for letting us know about Peter. Glad to hear he is doing better and is ok. I do hope to see him back soon. Thanks to your MIL for passing on our good wishes.

Now, that I am done with GD's wall hanging, I feel lost without anything in my hands. I did order a Christmas stocking for GD, but it will "ship shortly", which means they don't have it in stock right now. Fortunately, there is plenty of time to Christmas. Instead I found my bag of old patterns and yarn, and I started on a birthday gift for DIL. It is a wheel barrow with pots and flowers etc., and it has sayings written all over it. Like "Garden of Kindness" f. ex. I will add to that her name so it will say DIL's Garden of Kindness. She enjoys gardening. I have until end of June for that.

DS has a proposal due today, so he was hunkered down working all day yesterday and stayed up all night. Still in the process of finishing up. I know, he will hit the pillows as soon as he is done, so I will go to the office this morning.

Enjoy the day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The posting box has just returned!  Yeah!

The hanging sounds very pretty, Pingo. 

TT, the less you post, the less we will post, the less you post....vicious circle!  Please continue posting...

Got up this morning at 4 and started working on some new crafts...and old.  Also a new historical research project.  Now must continue with some house cleaning and phone calls - the book club is coming for a meeting this weekend! 

Happy Shakespeare's 450th Birthday*

well, sorta.  Actually it's the anniversary of his baptism - the actual birth date was not recorded, but it was usually done within 3 days....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

OMG!  Lightening and the longest thunderclap ever here!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just got out of the shower, deciding since the TV said possible thunderstorms, that I'd better get in and out. Came out to very dark skies.  I already knew rain was coming, the seagulls had come in and were calling- what do you call their call?  I'll have to look that up.  How I love that sound.  Note to family:  don't ever move me away from the water.

Just saw a walker with an umbrella open go by, so must be at least spitting here.

Cheerio has found my robe where I threw it on the bed, kneading away, ready for her morning nap.

Hats, I know a lot of people are still having problems getting into the boards and posting, but without input from other chatters, I really don't have much interesting to post about - not a whole lot going on here, just me and Cheerio. - Want to know what I had for breakfast this morning?  haha  Lemon bread from G.T.'s, bacon, and peach tea - with a rice krispie square thrown in for good measure!

Is your piece you're working on now, Pingo, a counted cross stitch?  Never could do that, always had to have pre-printed canvas.  I can count squares 5 times and come up with 5 different totals.  Reminds me, oldest son said Sunday when discussing the paper bowls, "Why don't you do something like knitting like Nana did?"  I just laughed it off, no need to go into the fact that these hands don't let me scrunch them up holding needles anymore.  I just joked with him and said he'd better get prepared, in another year I'd be taking up basket weaving.

I briefly joined a book group, but it was a large one of about 15 people and I really am not a "groupie".  5 people or so to talk back and forth with would have been fine for me, but I have a hard time speaking up with that large a group, especially if there is, as there always is, one who has opinions on everything, writers, nationalities featured, etc.  I back off from something like that and just stopped going.  Had I continued to go, the leader might have gotten it under control, but turned into a monthly meeting I didn't look forward to.  I'm sure your group is run differently.  (Didn't know you were chatting with a shy violet, did you?  haha_

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, tt, it is counted cross stitches. I used to do them a lot - like 40 plus years ago. That is why I was really nervous to try again, and started with just a small easy project. Could these old eyes see good enough to do it again? Could these old stif fingers be nimble enough to hold such a tiny needle? Well, I am happy to say - they could. I love doing it. It is like therapy for me. Something completely different, from what I do every day.

Did you by any chance join a book group at B & N on Rt. 1? I did once. But like you, I dropped out. Too large a group. And there was this Mrs. take-over-know-it-all, I couldn't stand.

It's getting really dark out. Better get to the office before it starts pouring.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Upset about the rain!  Although I noticed that my new daffs needed it, I wanted to continue some touch-up painting on my wrought iron porch furniture today.  I ran out of Rustoleum so had to make a trip to Home Depot before I could finish.

Went to a new restaurant last night, in Waltham - Copper House Inn, (or Tavern?).  It's in a hotel at the junction of Totten Pond Road and Rt 128.  Good hearty burgers, excellent food and drink etc, but full of loud working people, music and tv screens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Googling around, I guess the sound of the seagull is called the "cry" of the seagull.

Nice to find a relaxing hobby, Pingo.  That's how I feel about this nonsense of paper folding, taping, pulling, mod podging.  Last night while watching TV I took the previous wide folded strips for my oldest son's Christmas basket bowl, snipped the tape on them and gave them one more folding, then taped and mod podged into a small low black and white bowl.  I LOVE it.  It's so him.  Small enough for him to set out in his man cave whether or not he ever uses it, and something I know he will like, color-wise.  Have the other five flower pot bowls made, different color themes, and will begin now to beg for more old magazines to find those elusive green pages to make very small disk size pieces with a shamrock mod podged in the center.  Finished GD's bro's and put in his basket.  I'm hoping he'll keep on his bureau.  Almost stuck a basketball in the bottom instead of the shamrock, but I think he needs a little reinforcement of his Irish heritage.

FYI, the knot in your back could be connected with the way you hold yourself while you are doing your needlepoint.  I know this from experience, when I do do a little knitting, I get pain on my left side of back - because of the way I hold my arms when I'm knitting.  Stop knitting for a few days and the pain goes away.

P.S.  Saw your post, Hats, my forsythia are loving this rain.  They're at their peak this morning, so bright.  G.T. planted some between noise house next door and me.  Will provide a visual screen too.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, please don't call your "potting" nonsense. It solves many purposes. You are relaxing doing it, and at the same time making beautiful gifts for your family and friends. And now you make narrower strips. You must have become quite a pro. Are you putting a shamrock in the black and white bowl as well?

You are right, tt. My needle pointing definitely exaggerated my back problem. But I am not giving that up. I know, I can't sit on my dining or kitchen chair and do it unless I bring my back support with me. But my desk chair as well as my TV chair has wonderful support. It is a long standing problem though. If I stand up for a long time - like chopping, mixing and cooking for company  f.ex., I am in such a pain, even before the guests arrive. So I have to space myself and do as much as possible ahead of time in small time slots. 

No Forsythias in bloom around here yet. And we have plenty around. Love them. Unfortunately the flowers don't last very long. But I noticed the buds on our Cherry Trees at the office. That reminds me to bring my pruners tomorrow and cut a couple of branches for forcing indoors. Yea! Spring is finally here.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Sections
Shortcuts