April 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2014

Notice Winter hasn't posted yet - and I just had a thought -

they were stopping at Foxwoods on the way back - do you suppose they won BIG and she quit her job????

Huh, Winter, did you???

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

LOL!  With tuitions and mortgages what they are, I wonder if it's possible to win enough!

I took a ride and oh, everything is so pretty even in the rain....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

testing the waters (hehe)...We are loving the rain at Casad"Icer...Honey has the garden planted...I even have sprout of lettuce coming up...

Zachary is taking a nap right now...The kid doesn't like to nap..but does...He had a blast on Sunday...chirping...I finding eggs...we are under a "no-chocolate" rule but I just put grapes in the eggs and noisemakes and 2 one dollar bills

Icer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Icertest

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Googling around, I guess the sound of the seagull is called the "cry" of the seagull.

Nice to find a relaxing hobby, Pingo.  That's how I feel about this nonsense of paper folding, taping, pulling, mod podging.  Last night while watching TV I took the previous wide folded strips for my oldest son's Christmas basket bowl, snipped the tape on them and gave them one more folding, then taped and mod podged into a small low black and white bowl.  I LOVE it.  It's so him.  Small enough for him to set out in his man cave whether or not he ever uses it, and something I know he will like, color-wise.  Have the other five flower pot bowls made, different color themes, and will begin now to beg for more old magazines to find those elusive green pages to make very small disk size pieces with a shamrock mod podged in the center.  Finished GD's bro's and put in his basket.  I'm hoping he'll keep on his bureau.  Almost stuck a basketball in the bottom instead of the shamrock, but I think he needs a little reinforcement of his Irish heritage.

FYI, the knot in your back could be connected with the way you hold yourself while you are doing your needlepoint.  I know this from experience, when I do do a little knitting, I get pain on my left side of back - because of the way I hold my arms when I'm knitting.  Stop knitting for a few days and the pain goes away.

P.S.  Saw your post, Hats, my forsythia are loving this rain.  They're at their peak this morning, so bright.  G.T. planted some between noise house next door and me.  Will provide a visual screen too.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

test

Icer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hi Icer, we see all your posts!  But no photos allowed!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I wonder if we'll ever have the photo ability back so that we all are able to post pics.  The block that comes up now asks for "source" and I don't know what to put - they're saved on my computer.  I know another poster said they have to be downloaded to another source like snapfish.  I have that  capability but don't want to download and pay for my inane pics of food and wreaths and whatnot.  -  Sorry your pic didn't come through, Icer.

Pouring here now, hardest of the day.  Just finished watching Y&R that had a flashback to when Victor was younger, OMG, he was a handsome devil.  Those must have been my working days because I certainly would have remembered him!

Flipped through my baggie of "to be tried" recipes, feel like baking this afternoon, but can't decide on what to make.  Should have bloodwork done the end of the week in prep for p.c . appt. next week, so just as well if I don't bake - but then again, I'm stuffing myself with leftover M&Ms, so trying to keep my sweet level down prior is a losing battle.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I have such a craving for oatmeal cookies.  Had oatmeal for breakfast last two days trying to stave it off.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Funny, I was looking at my oatmeal, cranraisin recipe, but only have about a half cup of oatmeal left.  So that's out.  May make cranraisin scones.  I really crave a sweet connected with breakfast.  Cereal in itself doesn't do it.  Always want my hot drink AND something after.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I have had trouble finding the forums on the new site.  Where do I look? I ended up having to google boston.com forums and it brought me to the red sox forums and i was able to back my way out to this one.  I tried to bookmark but it didn't appear to be working.
    Hope all of you are well.  Things here are ok.  We went to a family friends house for easter and enjoyed a wonderful meal of ham, scallopped potatoes, asparagus and tons and tons of appetizers and desserts.  We ate all afternoon.  They have kids the same ages as our kids and another family came over too who have slightly older kids and a few of the grandparents came too.  Well the older kids ended up taking all of the younger kids and they played and organized a "performance" for the adults.  It was very cute and allowed DH and I to actually socialize with the other couples without having to watch our kids.  Heaven!  The food was excellent. I made a chocolate mouse pie and brought a cheese/crab dip.  On Monday we went to watch the marathon whcih was a lot of fun.  My DD handed out oranges and was so excited every single time a runner came over to her and took one.  The bad part of our weekend was that almost everyone who was at the easter celebration including my kids and DH (but not me!) came down with the stomach bug yesterday.  Blech!! We all must have been exposed at the same time, not sure from who. Anyway, thankfully i didn't get sick because DH was totally out of commission and I had to take care of the two girls (and DH) on my own.  Everyone is on the mend today.

I am going to a baby "sprinkle" tomorrow night - it is an appetizer and desserts party thrown by my sister in law for her sister who is expecting her third child.  This is a girl and her other two are boys.  I need to buy a gift, I think I will get her a cute outfit or two since she has a lot of baby "stuff" already. I volunteered to make an appetizer.  The theme is cinco de mayo because the baby is due that day.  Any suggestions of what I could make? I am leaning towards guacamole.  I have to drive for almost an hour to get there so I don't want anything that needs to be served immediate after making it.

I need to try to find the time to catch up with everyone. No personal greetings but know I am thinking of you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Rama, good to see your post.  Don't have any solutions for you as to how to get in, I've not had that problem, come right to the forums page and just scroll down to CC.  There is still a lot wrong with these boards, one, the spacing, which you can see.  It changes on its own.  Glad you found your way in again.

Sounds like a great holiday week-end - all except for the stomach bug, that is.  Kids are so much fun.  Yours are at great ages.

Just popped some cranraisin scones in the oven.  Fooled with the margarine and buttermmilk amounts a bit. My biscuit dough is so doughy and nice to pat out, wanted this scone dough to be as easy, and I think I may have overadjusted the liquid amounts a bit too much.  We'll see.  Not too much harm you can do to scones except to knead the dough too much (makes a tough scone), or have it too dry, and in this case, it certainly won't be dry!  lol

Talked with my son's MIL who was at Easter dinner with us.  She was having pain from a tooth that had been worked on the previous day, but it seems to have quieted down.  Of course we both oohed and aahed about the meal and decorations and what a great job our boys do!

I don't know what cinco de mayo is or means, so no suggestions for your appetizer.  I'd go with something I've made before that is tried and true.

Buzzer just went off for scones, but by looking at them I can tell they are still "wet".  Oh dear.  Five minutes more and then out they'll come.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Rama, thank you for that nice newsy post.   Sorry to hear that such a wonderful weekend was tarred by the bug!  I hope everyone has no lasting effects and you stay well.

I think a nice guacamole and some salsa for those who may not do avocado would be wonderful! My other suggestion would be some crudites (carrot sticks, cuke sticks, jicama etc) with chile powder and lime wedges.  That's what they eat in Mexico - everything is topped with a sprinkle of chile powder and a squeeze of lime.  Heaven!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

BTW the lightening and thunder I complained about caused a fire.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to see your post, Rama. Looks like you had to deal with the baseball guy, just like I had to. I had to go around the hard way too. My son was able to fix it and book mark it for me, but please don't ask me how.

Sorry to hear you had a bad ending on an otherwise wonderful family gathering. It doesn't take much, if the bug is there.

Cinco de Mayo - that is easy. Your guacamole with chips will fit nicely. But as you have to travel a distance, make sure you add a lot of lemon juice, or it will turn an ugly brown. If I was going to bring it, I would chop up and mix all the other ingredients and bring it with the uncut avocados. Then mash them and and finish it at the destination. Personally, I would make a 7 layer salad - that is always a hit. Or like Hats suggested a fruit/veggie bowl with sprinkles of a bit of salt, lime juice and red pepper. Cut up watermelon, jicama (sp?), cucumber. It's delicious. They serve that a lot in Mexican restaurants in Texas, when it is hot. Just make sure you keep everything cold. You don't want to pass another bug.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good chilly morning!

great to see the occasional posters, prin, Nov, Rama, SS, icer - glad the forums came back and you were able to post.

I don't pay for snapfish, tt.  I think you just pay for hard copies of stuff you order like prints or mugs.  I wish we could see your bowls...they are so cool!

Prin, so pleased Spencer and Bella are best buddies, what a relief.

Rama, never heard of a "sprinkle," I love it.  You can just sprinkle the top of the guac with lemon juice and press the plastic wrap against it to keep it from turning brown.  The inside (anything other than the surface) doesn't get oxygen anyway so it can't oxidize.

Pingo, how special for DS to bond with the baby.  Thanks for your well wishes re my brother.

hats, I had no idea parts of the state was getting thunder and lightning!  We had light rain and wind.  And cold!!  

Got up this morning to the house having cooled to 60.  Got the fire raging.

I've been working like a dog on the wedding doily and coordinating votive candle holder.  I'll see if the snapfish method still works to give you a preview - they aren't all finished (ends not run in, not blocked yet).  Also, still bringing the plants in and out of the green house.

(Posting is very aggravating - it doesn't accept my characters as fast as I can type; big delay.)

Wind is blowing, still, but the sun is out so maybe it will warm up.  Meanwhile, I've got to put more wood on...brrrrr.

have a great day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Good to see a post from you, Kargiver.  Figured you were having problems getting in.  Wouldn't want to lose you.

I'll wait til you experiment to see if snapfish pics can be posted and then try to put a couple of mine on it if it works.  I had the little flower pot ones all lined up yesterday, with their different color bands.  I put out a call last night for more mags, offering to swap freshly baked scones and a few krispie treats to sweeten the pot.  Guess no one was home, didn't hear from anyone.  When is the wedding you are doing the crocheting for? 

Hoping to hear from the "returning home from vacation" family today.  Their Easter baskets and birthday gift for their Dad sit on the commode next to the front door.  Remembered to light a candle on the stove this morning to get rid of any lingering  broccoli odor from last night's supper.

People on the street can't make up their minds whether trash gets picked up today or not - I haven't put mine out, think it was a state holiday anyway, even tho we had national mail delivery.  The guy next door always relies on me - so he hasn't put his out either.  We'll probably both be scrambling in 20 minutes like we did last week!

Scone will be for breakfast, not quite the same with peach tea as with a hot hot strong cup of coffee - but what are you gonna do?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt!  

It kills me that we still can't post private messages so I could send you all these gorgeous cooking mags...assuming you'd trust me with your info, lol. :)

The wedding is May 18 - I'm not procrastinating this time, can you believe it?!

I hope you can get your baskets out today.  Broccoli does stink; good thing it doesn't taste like it smells!

The snapfish method that worked before the change does NOT WORK now.  I'm trying other methods.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Good Morning all!  Lots of beautiful sunshine today, as soon as it gets warm enough I will open the doors and let the wind blow through!

TT, I often see people giving away magazines on Freecycle.  You could also inquire at your library whether they  throw away old copies of magazines!  Does your town have a senior center?  You could post on a bulletin board that you would like old magazines.  I think many people would be glad if their mags could be reused...

BTW have you mentioned to people such as your cousins and Nanny Friend that you need old magazines?  Also, places such as Costco and garden centers that have 'freebie' magazines can be good sources.  I made some very nice pieces out of a couple of freebies from Mahoney's last fall.  And of course, catalogs and my bulb and seed catalogs are great sources - know I've mentioned that before. 

Wonder how the comics and grocery inserts from the newspaper would work?  I think I've seen those woven into baskets and then mod podged.  If I can find a pic I'll post a link.

Just house cleaning and finishing up a wreath today.  This is a spring theme - daffodils and butterflies.

Kar, do wish we could see your doilies.  Wonder if the avatar change is working again?  Will try it since I am stuck on a 'non-real' one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Boy the wind here is nonstop, sounds like a constant wind tunnel out there.  So deceiving to look out into the bright sunshine, yet hear that wind.  Think I'll leave grocery shopping until another day.  Good day to clean out the fridge of all those little containers of this and that.

Winter?  Are you around but can't get in to the boards? Hope everything is OK and you didn't get caught up in a real mystery on your mystery week-end.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, our posts must have come up at the same time.  I have asked my neighbor but she passes them on to her sister.  Asked G.T. (he gets those beautiful architectural design and antique ones) and then we both forgot all about it when I was out there Sunday.  The library is a good idea.  I have books to return this week and will ask.  I imagine they do a clean out once a year.  Will take my inside Easter wreath down today, have been thinking of red, white and blue one to make and hang in the kitchen for Memorial Day and the 4th.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm still trying to post a photo...  I hope you aren't stuck with the last avatar, hats, but if so, it's not bad, very patriotic!  Have fun with the Spring wreath.  How much do you think the materials are, on average, if you don't mind my asking?

Took a break to put all the plants in the green house.  Not warm enough to set any outside. And, yes, the wind is still blowing a gale here, too.

Had breakfast, too, leftover scrambled eggs with sautéed mushrooms and Italian sausage and baked potato I made last night.

Got the house up to 68; balmy next to yesterday's 66.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    }

ETA: failed attempt at photo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I ended up with a couple of scrambled eggs to go with the scone, too, Kargiver.  Your combo sounds a lot tastier tho.  I'll add mushrooms to my list this week.  Love them and usually walk right by and forget to pick them up.

Speaking for myself re the materials, Hats  has taught me there is so much available right in our own homes already.  Really the only cost is the foamboard, (Dollar Store), ribbon (Dollar Store or CTS), and whatever you use in glue sticks.  All the extra stuff I have put on mine that I didn't find in my craft bureau, I have picked up at the Dollar Store - for - you got it, one dollar.

ETA:  Oh, plus the doilies again DS, and any paint you have around if you wish to give the foamboard a background color.  Very inexpensive, most times.  Of course there are others that you pick up the expensive ribbon or extra something to embellish, but they can be made for little or nothing, right, Hats?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I had cooked the mushrooms and sausage on Sunday to go with the steaks so all I had to do was warm it up then toss in the eggs.  Super fast and easy!

Wow, what a great bang for the buck project.m wreaths you buy all made must be marked up 1000%!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The wreaths you buy are marked up even more than that - more like 1000%!  I get two wreaths and two 'medallions' from each 1.00 piece of foam core!  

I also check the .50 bins at Michaels regularly and pick up anything that catches my eye, and put it away.  The butterflies I am using now I bought for .50 a year ago, marked down from 1.50 - they are still selling them at full price.  I use odds and ends, old books, old sheet music,  scrapbook paper/cardstock, paint chips, magazine pages - anything that's pretty. I save everything - chocolate boxes, ribbons, twist ties (use them on the bows, for example, or as hangers for the back of the wreaths...)  Things that are more costly are; glue dots, glue tape, glitter spray,metallic paint,  etc, but $7.00 worth will last a few years.  (I just got into the glue tape - it's such a time saver!  Have been making gift tags with that and it does the trick beautifully! Wish I could show you a pic....)

Sections
Shortcuts