April 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2014

Hats, you'll laugh, but guess what I hae a baggie full of - waiting for an inspiration where to use ?

the wrappers from the Worther's.  The inside of them is pure gold, no printing on them.  Next time GD is over I'm putting them out on the table - she'll come up with a unique way to use them.  I should say, that I have always rolled the silver wrappers from kisses, and the purple from dark, and I have a small roll of gold which I think must be from Reese's, tho I don't dete4ct any peanut butter odor.  When I was a kid my father and I used to see how big a roll we could get of the hershey kisses silver wrappers.  You understand that I could only have one or perhaps two kisses a day after supper.  lol

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, you are a dangerous woman.  I am now eating the Werther's candy that I had to unwrap to see what you were talking about!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Aren't the wrappers beautiful?  I've left the end twisty parts attached too.  I know I'll come up with something to put all that glitter to!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Caught you skimming, hats - I said 1000%, lol!!  I think I'll start looking for flower arrangements at yard sales and see if I can find my old glue gun...don't think I tossed it when I moved "just in case."

yum, candy...  I could go for a little chocolate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

There is a half a bag of dark kisses here - just waiting for the empty wrappers!  lol

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

tt and Hats, you are two inspiring ladies. The ideas you can come up with. Werther's wrappers? Got to laugh at that one. You could wrap them around different sizes of buttons, and use those to decorate in btw. other things.

Waiting for 14 count Aida cloth to come to start on the garden barrel. Ordered it from Jo-Ann's website. I will get a nice birthday gift for just $1.99 - the rest is all materials I had tucked away.

Kar, your doilies sounds beautiful. Make sure you snap a photo of them. Just in case we will ever get the photo option back.

Oh, I almost forgot. We went to the Yard House last night. DS wanted to go. He had one near by him, when he lived in Long Beach, CA. The waiting stunk. What we didn't know was, that you can "call in" Monday thru Thursday. Something to keep in mind if you ever want to go there. But the service was exceptional and the food great. I had Ginger Glazed Salmon. It was wonderful. DH asked for a "Michelada". It is a common drink in Texas. Basically Beer with Bloody Mary mix and lime juice. It was not on their list, but the manager came over, asked what was in it, and low and behold, they made it for him.

Gotta run. DS wants to do some shopping. Have to go to TJ's among other things to stock up for UK.

Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The other element, of course, when calculating cost, is your time.  Yes, Pingo, you will only lay out 1.99 right now.  However, there were costs for the original materials and the cost of your time is large.  Since you work at your family's business, you devote hours to your projects that could be producing revenue.  So that is something we call 'opportunity cost." 

I spend a lot of time trying to explain to women, especially, that they need to price their work/goods taking their time into account.  Yesterday I made 4 handmade gift tags, and part of another.  Yes, the materials were practically free.  But, taking into account the hours I spent that theoretically I could have billed out between 20$/hr and 65$/hr at some of my other jobs, the cost of producing them is really quite high.  Plus, all the other equipment I use - such as my Fiskars trimmers, scissor, Olfa cutting mat ($66 retail tho I got mine free from a dumpster!) the costs are much higher than they appear.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You are right, Hats. But you can't really but a price on anything you make for family and friends. I know, if I took into account the time, I spend on GD's wall hanging - no one would buy it. Much too costly. But I do those things out of love. I have been asked so many times to go into business with this or that, but it would be an insult to me, for what other people would pay for my handicrafts. Unless there come a day, which I hope will never happen, when I NEED the money - it will never happen.
    As for DIL's garden picture, except for the Aida cloth, I had all the yarn in the house from other projects. I am just putting it to good use. I even have an old frame (bought cheap at Pier 1), that will fit nicely.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not lwhen you're retired.  I volunteer one day a week, but the other days/time is my own to do what I have always wanted to do - this and that.  Was always into crafting, so now I have the time to google around and see what's new out there, and of course, hook up with other crafters like those on these boards.

Brought down a bouquet of (had to remove the first of the name of the willows!) willows from an upstairs closet, set them in a wicker umbrella stand, and tied the last of the yellow polka dot ribbon with a big bow, around them.  They sit in a corner of my kitchen and I love walking into the room and spying that cheery bow.

Intown son called to say his wife is putting together another batch of magazines and he will stop over tomorrow morning to drop them off and pick up the scones.  Hoping there are lots of green pages, want to make a medallion size with shamrock to put in each of the Christmas baskets.  I'm into my big economy jar of Mod Podge now, just scraped out pretty much the one I bought when GD and I started making the bowls.  Still haven't found any place that sells the oval glue sticks, so will have to google around online and see what I can find, I guess.  The guns are cheap enough, but this is a good one, hate not to still use it.

Vacationing son just called.  Got in at 2:00 in the morning.  Had a good time, but Aruba is not a cheap vacation.  Said he would swing by today or tomorrow, more likely, for the kids' Easter baskets.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh gosh, TT, guess we'll have to say "Mrs Slocombe's Cat" willows from now on!  (Joke from "Are You Being Served" for non-britcom fans..."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I used to watch that all the time and the other one - Keeping up Appearances with Hyacinth.  Gotta love her long suffering husband!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, indeed, you wouldn't need to sell me on that idea; people often ask me why I don't make doilies to sell, and I tell them that they may cost 50¢ in thread but $300 for my time at $10/hr.  Pretty sure they'd not fetch that much, lol.

I've taken a photo and have given up on posting it for now.  I can't change my avatar because I'll never be able to replace my standard one; the original is on a dead computer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

the avatar change does not work anyway!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Things changed a bit. DH came home to take us out for lunch. But I just had my yogurt, so I sent the two of them along. Good father son bonding w/o me around. When they get back, DS and I will do the shopping.

tt, I just googled "oval glue sticks" (mine are oval too). There are plenty of them around. No need to buy a new gun.

Funny, how they eliminate words. I was once trying to use "breast" cancer. They had me change that. But they have since allowed it. How about pussywillows? Looks like it goes.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're a good sport about lunch, Pingo.

tt, that's too bad; that was the only way we could see CC crafts!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Now who is skimming?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

Now who is skimming?

[object HTMLDivElement]

ironically, it's the avatars being different that is messing me up!  I get the wreaths mixed up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It's true, TT and I are becoming the same virtual person.  I had that thought earlier today...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hahahahaha  no, we're not, Hats.  That won't happen until you start making paper bowls!  LOL

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

[QUOTE]

Now who is skimming?

[object HTMLDivElement]

ironically, it's the avatars being different that is messing me up!  I get the wreaths mixed up.

[/QUOTE]
    [object HTMLDivElement]

Is that better?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, thanks!  I thought the avatar function was broken - could it be that they are working on the bugs?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

What browser did you use for the avatar change?

ETA - went over to IE, it worked!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All is right with the world, again, relatively speaking. ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm working out of Chrome.

ETA:  That is my bread basket, btw, as it came out of the oven.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I can see it - just beautiful and so much work!