April 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: April 2014

Good morning everyone. Kar, I'm not looking for a high end oven, I did see a KitcenAide and a Samsung that I like the other day. There was a Kemore as well, but with Sears closing at some point, not sure we'll ge going that route.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Remember Sir Galahad? Chat hadn't heard from him for a while, either. Then his daughter wrote into Maria that he had passed away.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

I am still here, Hats. I am not leaving until tonight. I am as ready as can be to go. "Oh to be in England, now that April's here" - that is exactly what I am looking forward to. Haven't seen European Spring since 1966. You are right, DS is in Birmingham. Will also go and visit our British friend in Edinburgh for 3 days. I have been to Edinburgh before - lovely old city.

Winter, you must be so excited getting a new stove and gas heat. Is Sears really closing? I love my Kitchen Aid appliances. Can't go wrong with those. Doyan's on Main Street in Reading had a big sale recently. Couldn't hurt to stop by.

Kar, I made your broccoli dish last night. It was excellent. Replacing your A/C compressor? Ouch! How are you doing with your power? Did they find what was wrong?

So raw out today. Glad I finished all my errands yesterday. I even got a pedicure in. Chat later.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I checked Doyon's they are way overpriced IMO. Lots of fancy stoves. As for Sears, that's the talk that they will be closing, just don't know when.

- Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I haven't been inside Doyan's. Just saw the signs on their windows driving by. Too bad about Sears. Craftsman tools last forever. Haven't had any luck in their clothes department for years. Much too trendy for me. But their small appliances are priced well. Recently bought a counter top Sharp Microwave there. It sells much higher elsewhere.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

They seem to have stoves like the one's Kar mentioned. I also like a GE with a convection oven. I'm looking at a Double Oven. I decided black, since I really don't need a new fridge. Dishwasher is black now, but I'd like another in the future.

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I don't think that Sears will be going away.  Even if they do go through bankruptcy proceedings they could sell/divide assets (Sears, Lands' End, KMART) and probably come through.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, the main thing for the range, if you go by all my friends who said they would love to solve the one big problem that prompted me to buy a new stove, is the space per burner.  Many are 9" per, but most pots and pans are 10" so you can't fit two pans on the same side of the range at the same time.  Mine has 10" per burner and I take advantage of that fact almost every time I use the range.  A standard size range/oven can vary a lot with respect to burner size...shocking, actually, that not many are designed to maximize burner space...it's not like it costs more to do it so all 4 burners can be used at one time with average sized pots.

Pingo, I know, it's a big hit, but the ones we had were junk; one wore out, one broke.  We do not know what is wrong with the power yet.  I'm still avoiding the dryer.  have a safe, fun trip tonight!  I usually take a dramamine - no motion sickness and it helps me sleep.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The GE I like, has a fifth burner that can take a larger pot.

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-17/sears-rises-after-board-member-tisch-buys-475-000-shares.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-17/sears-rises-after-board-member-tisch-buys-475-000-shares.html

Sears news.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm back home and will jump in briefly about the gas stoves, mine isn't a double oven, but a 4 burner, 2 regular size and on the other side a larger burner size, but not the grate, in front and a smaller burner (use for melting butter etc.) on the rear.  Never had any problem fitting my largest pans on all 4.  It's a Hotpoint, and I love it.

Re Sears, I did hear something on the news quite a while ago that they were thinking of selling off Lands End portion.  I know a year or so ago I read that they had taken over KMart.

In my own little world, have taken the bull by the horns STS, and left a message on son's cell, that I would like to stop by today around 3:00 when they get home from school, and drop off the kids' Easter baskets, to please call as soon as he gets the message.  In the meantime, have made a batch of the M&M cookie dough on their pkg, and that is chilling now in prep for baking - to "sweeten the pot" for a visit from Nana!  haha

Another little voice called out to me in the bookstore today, "Nana" and it was little pumpkin with his Mom. How he's growing.  He lost sight of me for a few minutes in the aisles and I heard, "Nana - where are you?"  If that didn't warm my heart, you don't know what does.

"Each one of rus contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What a nice trip to the book store, tt. I can just imagine what a nice surprise it must have been to meet the pumpkin.

Re the burners on the stove. I don't have gas, but my electric stove has one 9 inch burner, two 7-1/2 inch burners and one 6 inch burner. That has been fine to cook daily for a family of 4, plus the many family gatherings and parties, we have hosted. But for Kargiver, this may be too small with all the large canning pots etc., she uses.

"We don't know, what is wrong with the power yet?" --- Could it possibly be that broken compressor, that kept shorting the power?

All packed and ready to go. Now just waiting for DH to come home to take me to the airport. He is at a meeting in Boston. Hope he makes it home in time, so we don't have to rush. I like to have extra time checking in and getting to the gate.

The weather over there is going to be just like here. So I packed long sleeve tops and an an extra sweater. I did take 2 short sleeve tops - just in case. But I didn't bring sandals. Half the suitcase is full of stuff, DS left behind.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Exciting time, Pingo.  Have a wonderful trip.  How long are you staying?  Just want an idea when you'll be back on the boards.  Our numbers have dwindled so, can't lose you for too long - lol.

Son called and said he was in this vicinity and would stop by and pick up the baskets.  Two trays of M&M cookies were just coming out of the oven so he waited to pack them up and take them home too.  Just an FYI for any of you cookie lovers out there, the recipe on the M&M pkg is delicious.  A little different from the tollhouse, and you chill the dough for an  hour before baking - I suspect to keep the M&Ms from melting.  I only had the dark brown sugar in the house and so for that part of the recipe used it instead of the light brown.  They are so good, will make again and even make the dough without the candies.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh tt those cookies sound yummy. Maybe I'll give them a try, DS loves M&M cookies.

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm heading out soon, have a good night everyone.

- Darth Vadar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Enjoy your evening, Winter.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Shutting off my computer. Will be back in US on the 12th, but I hope to be in contact w/ you from UK.

Stay happy and healthy. - Pingo
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You too, Pingo!

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stay happy and healthy. - Pingo
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My regular, everyday pots and pans are all about 10"; I was going bananas with 9" burners!  If you've measured your pans and you're getting one with one large burner, that should work, Winter.  I only mentioned it because one might assume that all ranges are designed to accommodate average sized pots and pans and they are not.

Wow, tt, nice bonus for having waited for the baskets!!!  I absolutely love M&M sugar cookies...course, I don't bake them, lol.

Pingo, guess I missed you...hope you have a safe and fun trip!!  Oh, I do hope you can check in before the 12th to regale us with your travels.

our AC contractor had to come back today and isn't quite done due to a pressure issue.  He needs to come back when it's warmer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Hi, ache. :)

Hello back, KG (belated)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, Hats, I'm thinking lighthouses again!  Talked last night with my friend who just got back from Fla.  She is the lighthouse nut and it was her I was thinking of making one for originally.  Unfortunately, really haven't come across much of anything.  It would be a 10", she lives in a condo and things are at a minimum.  I still have mags I haven't looked through, tho most are foodies.  May sit and go through some of them tonight and tear out anything I can find.  Just a couple of ads for vacation sites, so far.

Speaking of which, my son took the empty travel bags I had made with him.  I didn't really intend that, just wanted GD to see them, I'm afraid once they are seen they'll end up - you know where - the waste basket.  I am already gathering things (kids on rafts, etc.) to make one for G.T. and partner for their cruise.  Have a couple of months before that.

Tomorrow is a free day, except for one errand that I'll get done in the morning if it isn't pouring.  Next week I have 2 birthdays and an anniversary.  Glad there's a check coming in before then.  Don't know why everything hit me so hard this year - probably everything is going up and I haven't noticed until my checkbook balance began doing down.

Just heard heat snap on, so I'm off to stand over the floor register.  Can't ever move anywhere that doesn't have one of those!  I had it put in when we changed out kitchen around, and am so glad I did.  Have a good evening, everyone.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ache, I thought of you recently when I was Spring cleaning and organizing - found the tankini I was hoping to wear for Tankini Day.

Heat clicked on here, too, tt - just got the fire going for the night. :) Oh, I can't imagine they'd throw away your travel bags!!  They are obviously so much work and can easily be kept and reused.

Speaking of which, I was inspired by you crafters and bought mod podge to decorate a box for the vase I bought to go on the doily for the wedding.  However, it says it takes FOUR WEEKS to cure!!  Is it ok to give it to them dry but not fully cured?  The wedding is May 18 so it would have 2 weeks to dry, half cure.

Pingo, I know I missed you, but I meant to mention I'm glad you liked the brocolli.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Brrrrrr!  We're almost out of the wheel barrow's worth of wood dh brought into the garage to tide us over.  Let's see if i can make a fire with a little kindling and a few huge pieces...not easy, but I ain't goin' out to the wood pile in the cold rain!

After rewetting the doily to reduce the concentration of Stiffy and letting it dry I'm happy with the result.  I like the vase, but it's not quite tall enough to accommodate the 11" doily; it just is too small for the job imo. So, I'll be going to a couple of antique shops with the doily to test other things out.  Worse comes  to worst the vase will do; the real gift is the doily, anyway, and a GC to Home Depot (preferred store they listed on their wedding website).

Bought some frozen sea scallops yesterday I put in the fridge last night to have for dinner tonight.

Am pining to go East; working friends out there can't get away from their desks for now.

So dark and gloomy and cold.  Time to try to get that fire going.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Cheerio let me sleep in this morning, even curled up herself, on the other side of the bed!

Kargiver, that's a great idea to decorate the gift box.  I never read that "curing" on the Mod Podge, will have to check mine.  There are several different "recipes", mine says "Gloss-lustre"  a "Waterbase sealer, glue and finish"  You may have bought one of the different mixes.  Check the label to see its recommended usage.

Oh oh, just heard the next door neighbor putting out his trash.  Have to dash down cellar and bring mine up and out - another bathrobe sighting of the old lady in the grey house!

P.S.  Mine is the red label.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, what TT said about the Mod-Podge is right - there used only to be one kind but now they have lots of different formulae.  But the box not being meant to hold liquid should be fine and dry after two weeks...for something not meant to last forever you don't even need mod-podge, elmer's glue with a little water works well for paper.  I used that for my GS Troop at least 5 - 6 years ago, paper on glass, and it's still fine...

Sections
Shortcuts