April chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: April chat

Ok ladies, I just ordered a pizza. Too pooped to cook! I won't be back until Sunday morning to wish my dear CC friends a Happy Easter!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, how right you are. We do it for the little ones. I used to go haywire with decorations for the holidays, when the boys were young and still living at home. But now? No one is here to enjoy it - so why bother. Every year it has become less and less. Like poinsettias for Christmas. I used to have the entire house full of them. This past Christmas I had three. One for the family room, one for the entrance way and one tiny one for our kitchen table. I brought up the box of eggs, we used to hang on our tree out front. I showed it to DH last week, and he said, "If you really want me to hang them, I will." Got me thinking - no one will be here, why bother. So I put it back, and I truly don't mind. Not that we have become a boring old couple, but the joy is not the same unless you can share it with someone. You are so lucky to have your family so close - even GT is living close by, compared to mine. LOL
    Too bad about your meat sauce. It will keep in the fridge for tmw. What did you ended up having? - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, those are Peter Rabbit! So adorable. My boys loved the books. I still have them somewhere. - Pingo

In Response to Re: April chat:
    [QUOTE]Here are my Easter bunnies as promised. Cute huh? SS
    Posted by shakersilly2010[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm a heathen, I ended up eating two meatballs complete with sauce on the spaghetti.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You tt, heathen? Never. Besides you have done so well during this lent, that a small mishap doesn't count. Hope you enjoyed the meat balls and the sauce.

[QUOTE]I'm a heathen, I ended up eating two meatballs complete with sauce on the spaghetti.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

The young people are in no rush these days. Have been patiently waiting for 9 years though. The problem is, I am not young as you. I did ask son once, since friends and family are soooo interested it my sons sox life, "Please tell me if you and xxx have decided not to have any children." His answer, "We have not decided that" -  and left it at that.
    Maybe I am sensitive, but it does bother me, when people keep asking me, "No grandchildren yet?" I keep telling them, that they will be the first ones to know. But it is getting a bit old.
    [QUOTE]I can't wait tt for grandchildren. But DD is in no rush. Thankfully I am still young (or so I think!) Lol!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My oldest and favorite nephew and his wife never had children either.  My sister kept hounding them, and never did an answer.  Don't know if it was just their decision not to have them, or if one or the other couldn't.  It must drive kids nuts tho when relatives keep asking - as it does you when friends keep asking you.

Was on the phone with SS, interrupted by a call from my friend in Fla whom I promised I would call back - I know she changed her number to an unlisted, I had it, but cannot find it and of course it does not show up on my phone calling list.  Just sent her out an email -  hope she pulls it up.  This is the 2nd time I've done this to her.  Baaaad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Wonderful what your mind does when it's resting.  Woke up this morning realizing I have the "last incoming call number" feature, and sure enough, when I tried it it gave me my Fla friend's number.  Now all I have to do is wait until it's late enough to call them.

My azalea is in full bloom this morning, the Japanese Cherry tree out front is opening up, tho not anywhere near as full as usual, and the little apple tree is budded.  Love the signs of Spring.

Breakfast to get, and then the fun part of the Easter preps, the decorating of the cake, cupcakes, and making the Spanish Cream.  Easy day today.  Chat later if anyone's on the boards.  Have a good one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

I have a hard time decorating for just me and DH, and forget it when I was single.  I had the same (sparse) decorations in my apartment year 'round.  Well, actually, I finally bought a pre-lit tree because I found one on super sale, but I didn't trim it.  Just put it up, plugged it in, and set the angel I'd made (long ago) on the top.  I'd do lots of homemade decorations if we had kids.

Made my first frittata this morning, a Giada recipe from the Food Network.  We loved it!  Not sure why I've never done that before, but it just became a go-to.  Would be lovely for a special brunch - so easy and quick.  I sauted the asparagus longer than it called for; I don't like crunchy veggies in egg dishes, but the whole thing still only took 25 minutes from beginning to serving.

Finding a movie on netflix for tonight; we're planning to get takeout. :)

Have a great day, ladies,
    ~kar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Guess where I was this morning at 8:00 a.m.? S&S.  Was low on milk and stomach was not so hot during the night (seems after I eat sauce), so picked up a couple of cans of chicken noodle soup.  When I got back, email from Fla friend answering my apology of last night and including her tel number, plus saying she was on her way out the door for the day - I'll definitely call her tonight.  Feel bad this has happened twice now.

Just fixed a soft boiled egg and a weak cup of coffee.  Feel fine this morning, but I'll definitely stay away from the leftover mtball and sauce I planned on having today.  Could be worse, I guess, could be salad that gave me the reflux, then I'd really be miserable if I couldn't have that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I'm sure your friend understands - you can't be the only one who's misplaced her unlisted number and found yourself up a creek.  Good she got your email in a timely way.  Was S&S busy?  Glad you're feeling better.  What's for lunch instead of saucy meatballs? 

We've got enough leftover chicken alfredo and 1/2 a frittata for lunch.  Getting takeout for dinner so yeehah, that's all we need.  Tomorrow, I'll make the spinach pie in time for lunch and reheat a couple of slices for dinner.  All I'll need to do for dinner is Pingo's rack o' lamb, very quick and easy.  That pie is hearty and leftovers bake up in 15 minutes, nice and flakey.  Can't wait to have it, again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Chicken soup for lunch.  Supper?  We'll see.  Your meals for the day sound delicious, however.

Funny, my friend was definitely on my mind last night, just thinking of dream I had.  She, her husband and I were away together on a vacation.  In the middle of the week (it was a Wednesday), as we pulled into the garage of the hotel where we were staying, she announced that she and her husband had decided they were leaving that day.  They dropped me off in the empty garage with a jar of Dijon mustard (remnants of conversation with Amber re chicken paste!) and the carnival glass chicken my DIL gave me yesterday, and drove off waving to me!  I went into the hotel trying to find our mutual friend (whom I had called last night to see if she had friend's Fla number), and it was packed with people, but each room I went into she wasn't there -  All this and acid reflux too!!  Think I've done my penance on that one!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How funny, tt, how your subconscious wove such a wild story from little pieces of your day!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Interesting dreams, tt. I have those vivid dreams on and off. Especially after I have made a pit stop during the night and can't go back to sleep. When I finally do dose off, I dream those crazy dreams and wake up with a heavy head. This morning I was packing and traveling somewhere, and I couldn't find my toothbrush and my plane ticket.
    Sounds like you have a fun day ahead of you decorating your baked stuff. I just sent off DH with 20 Wowie cupcakes, frosted with a "nest" and 3 jelly beans. They looked really cute. Wish I had taken a picture of them, but DH was in a rush to get out the door. They are having a small tennis party after their last team match of the year today. I could have gone as well, but I am really not interested. I have been to plenty of these parties, and all they talk about is tennis of course; how they made this and that point etc. and how terrible a serve this or that one has. I told DH, if he really wanted me to be there, I would come. But he said, he was fine with me staying at home. I have plenty to do here.
    Kar, it sounds like you have the entire week end planned out meal wise. My mother made a wonderful frittata with bacon and chives. Yum! She would cook the bacon and put aside. Then cook the frittata in some of the bacon fat. Sometimes she would add diced potatoes. When the eggs were set she would take a large lid and turn the frittata, slide it back in the pan and cook the other side (and she never owned a non-stick pan). Then place the bacon and lots of chopped chive on the top before serving. I have never mastered the turning of the frittata - so I gave up. Never thought of putting it under the broiler.
    The oxtail soup yesterday was amazing. Such a deep flavor. If for nothing else, every penny of that pressure cooker was worth it. Have leftovers plus I have soup to freeze.
    Have to get started on the day; still lounging around in my robe. You all have a great day - Pingo

ps. I am sure you all must have your own recipes for frosting. I usually do cream cheese frosting, but I tried a new recipe this morning using cool whip. It was absolutely delicious. If anyone is interested, I will post it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning, Interesting dreams, tt. I have those vivid dreams on and off. Especially after I have made a pit stop during the night and can't go back to sleep. When I finally do dose off, I dream those crazy dreams and wake up with a heavy head. This morning I was packing and traveling somewhere, and I couldn't find my toothbrush and my plane ticket. Sounds like you have a fun day ahead of you decorating your baked stuff. I just sent off DH with 20 Wowie cupcakes, frosted with a "nest" and 3 jelly beans. They looked really cute. Wish I had taken a picture of them, but DH was in a rush to get out the door. They are having a small tennis party after their last team match of the year today. I could have gone as well, but I am really not interested. I have been to plenty of these parties, and all they talk about is tennis of course; how they made this and that point etc. and how terrible a serve this or that one has. I told DH, if he really wanted me to be there, I would come. But he said, he was fine with me staying at home. I have plenty to do here. Kar, it sounds like you have the entire week end planned out meal wise. My mother made a wonderful frittata with bacon and chives. Yum! She would cook the bacon and put aside. Then cook the frittata in some of the bacon fat. Sometimes she would add diced potatoes. When the eggs were set she would take a large lid and turn the frittata, slide it back in the pan and cook the other side (and she never owned a non-stick pan). Then place the bacon and lots of chopped chive on the top before serving. I have never mastered the turning of the frittata - so I gave up. Never thought of putting it under the broiler. The oxtail soup yesterday was amazing. Such a deep flavor. If for nothing else, every penny of that pressure cooker was worth it. Have leftovers plus I have soup to freeze. Have to get started on the day; still lounging around in my robe. You all have a great day - Pingo ps. I am sure you all must have your own recipes for frosting. I usually do cream cheese frosting, but I tried a new recipe this morning using cool whip. It was absolutely delicious. If anyone is interested, I will post it.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Yes, Pingo, please post the frosting recipe.  I just made the Wowie cupcakes to take to Atlanta tomorrow.  I'm sure my grandsons will love them....especially with frosting.  Thanks.  Obbieite

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

TT, I made both the applesauce muffins and the wowie cupcakes to take to Atlanta tomorrow.  I haven't tried the cupcakes but the muffins were "awesome"!  Thanks for sharing the recipes.  Have a great Easter.  Obbieite

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

T

Had to switch over to IE to post pic -

Thanks, Obbie, glad you enjoyed them.  I just finished frosting my wowie cupcakes and putting a couple of finishing touches on the egg shaped cake G.T. had made.  Disappointing - half way through plastic decorators both decided not to cooperate.  Still, it's mainly for the kids, and all they'll care is, there's frosting!

The Spanish Cream is made in the fridge, the chicken is thawing, and all I'll have to do tonight is devil the eggs.  Only six, so that's not bad.

Hope you have a wonderful Easter too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

With pleasure, Obbie.
    I found it on the net, printed it and now cannot find it again (it was with a bunch of other recipes, and I just copied and pasted this one) - so I cannot give the proper credits. It is so simple and so delicious.

Mix one package Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie Filling with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 cup cold milk until well mixed. Then gently mix in 1 container (8 oz.) Cool Whip until incorporated. Done. You can use chocolate pudding as well - or any other flavor pudding mix for that matter.
    It is not overly sweet, have a pretty soft yellow color but not as hard a frosting as you get it in the bakeries. But that is just the way we like it.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: April chat : Yes, Pingo, please post the frosting recipe.  I just made the Wowie cupcakes to take to Atlanta tomorrow.  I'm sure my grandsons will love them....especially with frosting.  Thanks.  Obbieite
    Posted by Obbieite[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What do you mean, tt? Plastic decorators not cooperating? Looks to me like they cooperated just fine. Nice job.
    Wish I had taken a pix of mine too to show you. I have cup cakes left but no more frosting. Well, next Easter.
    Did you use the frosting, that comes in tubes? I have never used it. Just wondering how they are to work with.

[QUOTE]T Had to switch over to IE to post pic - Thanks, Obbie, glad you enjoyed them.  I just finished frosting my wowie cupcakes and putting a couple of finishing touches on the egg shaped cake G.T. had made.  Disappointing - half way through plastic decorators both decided not to cooperate.  Still, it's mainly for the kids, and all they'll care is, there's frosting! The Spanish Cream is made in the fridge, the chicken is thawing, and all I'll have to do tonight is devil the eggs.  Only six, so that's not bad. Hope you have a wonderful Easter too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I finished the frittata under the broiler as per the directions in Giada's recipe - no need to master the flip your mother did to arrive at a lovely, bubbly puffy result.  You could whip up that bacon chive one in a jiffy, just use an oven safe skillet and it will be just as good as Mom's.  Nice of you to send DH with Easter decorated Wowie cupcakes for his celebration of the end of their season.  He'll be the hit of the party!

tt, how pretty!!  I've never used a piping bag of any sort.  Too lazy; I just smear frosting on with a spatula.  That really does add fun pizzazz, though!

Obbie, you've been busy, too, very nice.  I'm sure they'll be appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed.

I just bought dates to dehydrate and food process into "date sugar," an unprocessed, unrefined substitute for granulated or brown sugar, I'm using in overnight cinnamon buns (spelt) for tomorrow morning.  DH will be surprised, I think, if he doesn't come in and see me making them this afternoon.  I'd love to be able to use good ol' white flour and sugar, but that would set him up for a miserable day...can't do that.

Gracie is recovering in her crate (hiding from her mean Mommy) from her morning of torture:  inner ear cleaning, teeth cleaning, Furminating (my word, the gobs of undercoat that came off that dog!), nail clipping, and K9 Advantage application.  She thinks she's abused, but she sure doesn't look it. :)

Well, it's after 1...I should see if DH is ready for lunch.  Then, after he eats, I'll clandestinely whip up those cinnamon buns and hide them in the fridge.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]T Had to switch over to IE to post pic - Thanks, Obbie, glad you enjoyed them.  I just finished frosting my wowie cupcakes and putting a couple of finishing touches on the egg shaped cake G.T. had made.  Disappointing - half way through plastic decorators both decided not to cooperate.  Still, it's mainly for the kids, and all they'll care is, there's frosting! The Spanish Cream is made in the fridge, the chicken is thawing, and all I'll have to do tonight is devil the eggs.  Only six, so that's not bad. Hope you have a wonderful Easter too.  Obbieite

Wow....they look absolutely yummy, tt.  I can't wait to taste mine.  The grandchildren aren't getting them all!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]With pleasure, Obbie. I found it on the net, printed it and now cannot find it again (it was with a bunch of other recipes, and I just copied and pasted this one) - so I cannot give the proper credits. It is so simple and so delicious. Mix one package Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie Filling with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 cup cold milk until well mixed. Then gently mix in 1 container (8 oz.) Cool Whip until incorporated. Done. You can use chocolate pudding as well - or any other flavor pudding mix for that matter. It is not overly sweet, have a pretty soft yellow color but not as hard a frosting as you get it in the bakeries. But that is just the way we like it. In Response to Re: April chat :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Pingo.  I think I'll make it when I get to Atlanta tomorrow so I won't have to worry about refrigeration.  I'm sure they'll love them.  Obbieite

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The dates are in the oven, and I coulnd't help myself; I told DH about the cinnamon buns, and needless to say excited about my plan.  I hope the dates process to decent "sugar" and the buns come out very close to the original.

ETA:  Starting over with new dates.  Missed the part of the recipe that said to slice them first, so I baked them whole...actually, more correctly, I burned them whole.  The smell alerted me to my mistake.  Yuck.  So, here go the SLICED dates into the oven.  Grr.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Son stopped over with the kids and they had their pasta and butter, then GD and I put together her Easter puzzle.  GS has a "friend" (girl) who lives in the area, and my son walked him over there while she and I finished the puzzle.  My son went to school with the girl's mother.  Funny how paths circle around.  I can see where they live on a hill, from my house.  

Your cinnamon buns sound good, Kargiver.  That will be as nice treat in the morning.

Good idea to wait until you get to Atlanta to frost the cupcakes, Obbie.  Then you don't have to worry about smashing the frosting either.  The cakes themselves can be tossed in a baggie.  Have a wonderful time.  Are you staying long?  G.T. is leaving Atlanta tomorrow, and you'll be arriving.

Checking the tablecloth to make sure it doesn't need some pressing out, and the chicken to make sure it's thawing out.  Leisurely day - nice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt - it's hard to make special sweet treats for DH given his condition.  I hope these dates dry out instead of burn or I'm in trouble.

That is funny how paths circle and cross in ways you'd never guess.

DH is out in the garden planting the things that can withstand Spring frosts.  Not sure what that is, but will find out soon enough, lol.  Can hardly wait for the asparagus to poke up.  Once it does you can practically stand and watch it growing.

ETA:  I think this recipe is bad.  Sliced they did better but burned on the bottom after the minimum time.  Back to the store for more dates, and this time the oven will be lower.  I have hope the third time'll be a charm.