April chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: April chat

That was a fascinating post Obb.. so informative and what a great mom to step in and help at the level you did. I'm sure she is grateful. You are so right about post partum depression. Looking back I believe I had that as I struggled emotionally the first few months of my daughters life. Felt like a worthless mom. So happy things worked out and she is amazing like her mom to help others. This was the best thing Liz could hear IMO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I chuckled tt at what you don't have in your house as that is usually me! Let me just say though, you don't taste the rub, it just helps to keep the chicken moist. Your mom's recipe is fine too of course. Just follow the directions on the Perdue roaster for cooking times and it will be perfect : )

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Obbieite-so glad your daughter is fine--she is an  amazing woman. And lucky to have you to help her.  What a nice thing for Liz to hear. I am sure that will give her a lift, and encouragement.

TT-thanks for the heads up on the tablecloth. I have a white one I can use, just thought something pretty would be nice.  Your green and white sounds just  fine for Easter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I read a recipe in Martha Stewart magazine a while ago called roast chicken 101, and my husband says it's the best chicken ever. This is kind of a mix of her recipe and my moms.

Slice one large or two medium onions in thick slices.  Lay them on the bottom of the roasting pan.  In the chicken cavity, put a quartered lemon and some herbs - what ever you like (but I usually don't have the herbs so I don't bother.)  The top of the chicken, smear with soft butter and then I shake flour on top.  Put in the hot oven (450) for an hour or two, until done.  I baste with chicken broth from the can (I just use the old fashioned can openr to put two triangle openings in it.) Remove chicken to platter, let rest while you make the gravy (leave onionsi n pan.) Strain gravy, serve with the chicken.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That sounds good too, hats.  The only difference being I would stuff it because son loves stuffing from the cavity.  Does the skin get crispy?  Now I'm confused again - which will I go with, 450 or 350??:??  I'll probably dream of roasting chickens all night!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Heading off to bed now.  Thanks for all your suggestions.

Talked with SS tonight and she too, is having problems logging on again and being able to post.  Hopefully tomorrow will bring a better day and our posting, logging in, picture posting problems will be gone.

Good night all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

haven't yet caught up from being away, but did see "pop up" and "chicken" - I learned on "Good Eats" on the Food Network that those things are designed to pop at 185 degrees - already overdone.  If you take it out and let it rest after it pops the meat will end up cooking to a VERY overdone and dry 195.  The USDA recommends all poultry is safe to eat at 165.  No need to cook it 30 degrees beyond that.  I usually aim for a post-rest temp of 175...plump, juicy, tender and totally safe.  So, while I recommend lovely Perdue chicken, I hope no one will use the pop up timer to determine doneness.  An instant read thermometer (or leave-in probe) is a chicken's best friend.

Ambergirl, I'll use that recipe next time; it's right up our alley.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Another day, but still no ability to post a pic - at least for me.  Glad to hear others are having the same problem or I would think BDC is shutting my pic posting off.

No dreams of chickens last night, but get this - I was belly flopping on skate boards on the streets of Lynn where I grew up!  Could it have been those peanut butter cookies I ate before going to bed? LOL

Glad you had a nice visit with your friend, Kargiver, did you see the snuggie on her little one?  Pick some easy project this time and get started early - 3, you know.

Up at 6:00, so now finishing my coffee.  Hope to get out by 10:00 and back by 12:00 - that's my goal.  Hope SS finds a way to get in today.  It's so frustrating when you do everything they ask, as she did, and then still can't post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning everyone,

What a nice day!  I was hot in my winter coat.  I don't know what to wear half the time since the weather is transitional this time of year.  Best to wear it I think and carry it if needed.  tt, I am laughing at you belly flopping on a skate board!  I often have dreams of the street I grew up on.  Must be missing my family I think.  You are up nice and early tt.  I hope you have a good shopping day.  Kar, I will post the roast chicken on the recipe threads.  I always overcooked my chicken and this is the best recipe I have found.  Comes out so moist and I don't go by the popper at all.  I go by minutes per pound. Can't go wrong since it continues to cook.  But I cook my turkey just like tt.  I have to stuff it since I love stuffing in the cavity too.  I rub butter on it.  I have to look for the lemon/pepper spice.  Something I would love.  My mother never used spices but my brother liked to cook and he is the one that got me using them.  I hope everyone enjoys their day.  I am chomping at the bit for today and tomorrow to be over so I can start my 4 day long weekend. Woo hoo!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Liz, so glad to hear that you talked to your doctor and you are going back on the Zolfot.  What ever makes you feel better will be better for your little one. 
    I think I'm just going to go with a pork roast instead of a crown roast.  There are only 4 of us, and that will be a lot of leftovers. I still can't post a picture :( 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have often gone by just the time in the oven, too, ambergirl.   No matter how you dress it, ignoring the fact that the popper hasn't popped allows for a tender, moist bird (chicken or turkey).  If people are uncomfortable doing that they can just stick a thermometer in there for a second and know for sure.  I really get a lot of use from our leave-in probe style.  You can set it to beep at whatever internal temp you want.  It's especially useful with a prime rib or anything else you pay big $$$ for and want it to come out to your exact doneness liking.  I use this chart and everything comes out perfect, no guess work, no cutting it and being sorry I did.

tt, I think you have something there.  I could make 3 stuffed animals and not need to know the genders.   I'll start looking for patterns.  Then, after the babies come I can make gender-colored blankets.  I didn't get a photo of the snuggie - I forgot my camera.  Even if I had remembered, though, I can't post photos anymore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I use a thermometer for my pork roast and roast beef, but find it not necessary for my chicken. I have been doing it for so long and I find it hard to mess up chicken.   But I agree, if in doubt, use the thermometer. I always rest easy when using it with the pork roast becasue you can overcook that very easily.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

re-registered from my IE, let's see if I can post that Easter pic now -

Excrutiatingly slow with each click, but at least if I was patient, could eventually post.

Made these many years ago, one for each DIL and G.T. and one for myself.  I think mine is the only one that has survived all these years - probably 19 years ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh tt, that is gorgeous.  I don't have a talented bone in my body to make things.  Just love the things you have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

When I made them I glued little bunny or yellow chick figurines inside.  I made each egg in a different color, to go with their decor.  As with everything with me, my first inclination is to reach for "green"!

Noticing in the pic, the white frosting looks a little dirty, but that's because of the close up shot - sitting on the shelf in real life, it doesn't appear that way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How cute!!  Glad you can post pics albeit slowly.  

When I click on the photo button I get an empty box that pops up in the background.  Nothing happens beyond that.  Maybe I'm not waiting long enough for things to appear in the empty box?  I'll leave it up indefinitely and see what, if anything, happens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, on the IE it took quite a while, it seemed to me, before I actually got the "browse" signal.

ETA:  Changed the picture, didn't like that dirty look the other one had.  As you can see, it looks fine in "real life".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll try IE again, but I couldn't even get a log in screen yesterday. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yea it worked.  This is a more serious Yoda.  He wanted to show Cheerio his more mature side.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Love the bunny next to it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I Love the decoration, you are very talented.  I was able to post a picture on IE.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, SUPER white!!  What a nice piece, tt.

I've got our eggs out in their grassy nest.  You've inspired me to dig around and find the rest of the Spring stuff.  You know how long it usually takes me to switch seasons around here, but Easter is Sunday so no time like now. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Yoda makes me want to pick him up and hug him. His fur is gorgeous.  Super soft I bet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good luck with trying to pick him up Amber.  :) But yes his fur is sooo soft. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I could hold Tigger all day. I can actually hug him even when he is sitting on my bed. Super affectionate cat.  When I pick Boo up, he yells very loudly at me... LOL!