April chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April chat

Well, I guessed wrong, lol.  I thought maybe you lay the herbs all over the outside of the bird and use the cheesecloth to hold them on.

I roast my chickens up side down so the fat in the dark meat bastes the white meat until the last 30 minutes to brown up the skin, a trick I learned from Emeril.  (See, I really did learn everything I know about cooking from TV!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pumpkin's easter card:

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

So cute tt : )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your family is so fortunate to have such an involved, creative, and talented Nana.  I hope they are keeping these treasures for their own kids to enjoy someday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, thank you,  I get as much if not more pleasure out of making them.  I'm sure this baby, being my GD's first, she is saving EVERYTHING.  She particularly likes the poems I write inside.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I was always a saver and sentimentalist. We were pretty poor growing up and my brother made me a doll for my 9th birthday out of a paper lunch bag, stuffed with toilet paper.  It had a pony tail with a red ribbon. He was always artistic. He was 13 when he made it and he took a magic marker and wrote my name and birthdate and how old I was on the back and signed it From xxxx.  That part always tickles me.  Because after all he was 13 and couldn't write Love.  lol! I still have it.  I showed him I still had it a couple of years before he passed and he could not believe I kept it.  Couldn't understand why. I said, because I wanted a doll badly and you gave me one. We were always close and I still miss him dearly.  Kids today I don't think would even think of doing something like that.  My DD said that is something she will treasure and be sure to show my grandchildren.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, what a beautiful story of sibling "from," I mean love, of course. :)  I'm choked up for your loss and for the bond you two shared.

tt, that's great your treasures are as meaningful as they should be to them.  One can't always count on that today, as ambergirl mentioned.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Amber, I have tears in my eyes.  What a tender story of your brother's love.  How many boys these days would do something like that - not any I can think of.  So sorry you lost him and didn't get to enjoy each other in older years.  That's when we are smart enough to realize how lucky we are to have had siblings like that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Kar.  We didn't have an easy life, him especially.  I even can't believe I saved it from the age of 9. I must have known how special it would become and how ironic I never showed him until years later.  Happy he knew.  And love my grandchildren will hear the story about their grandmother and Great Uncle.  After all, that is how we all live on. In memories.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber what a touching story.  Brought a tear to my eye.  tt, your card is beautiful Have a good night everyone. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Amber-I echo the others--got a little teary ! What a wonderful gift from your brother, and to still have it, and share. Lovely. Kar-I am going to try to roast chicken upside down next time I do one. Good idea!
    TT--love your egg ! My mother used to make the sugar eggs.
    I remember Windsor Button--I also went to it at the South Shore Plaza. Great store, and I do still miss it for little things. I am sure my sampler came from there years ago!
    Winter- love Yodas pics-I love dark kitties. timer going off..gotta run

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tulips, I meant to mention the other day that I was happy to hear you'd decided to host Easter so DH could retire for awhile if necessary.  Convenient and fun for everyone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have to get some Spring things out of my storage bin in the cellar this weekend. I will look for the doll. Pretty sure I know what box it is in. I will take a picture and send next week when I am back at work. I now want to see it again : ) I want to take a picture of what he wrote in the back. Kar, can I send to you to crop out my name and his?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Thanks Kar-happy with the decision.
    Everyone is pretty local- one sister is a few streets away , my mother is about 2-3 miles away, two sisters within 1/2 hr. My brother is the farthest- he is probably closer to you ! Don't know what happened to him--he went to the NORTH SHORE!
    That is the other side of the world to me ! I imagine all you north shore people feel exactly  the same about the south shore!
    TT--love the card, too. All the pretty things you make !
    Going to bed--tired tonight. Picked a preview of Stephen Kings "Under the Dome" to try out--seems good so far. Another apocolyptic novel, like "The Stand" was.
    I used to read everyone of his books, but not many over the last 10-15 yrs or so.

Nitey nite !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Amber, that is a fabulous story about your brother and your doll.  He was a very caring, considerate person and you were blessed to have him as your brother. Very, very touching.  Obbieite

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nitey nite, Tulips.  Came in to shut the computer off and saw that you're headed to bed with a book.  Not watching Jeff Lewis tonight at 9:00?   This is my 11:00 night, with Jeff and then 10-11 Millionaire NY Listings.  Waiting for the next season of Real Housewives of NY.  Heard them mentioned today and didn't get to the TV fast enough to hear when they start up again.  

Tomorrow is bunny gingerbread day.  I've checked and double checked, better have all the necessary ingredients.  Couple of bottles of molasses, so I should be all set, bought more brown sugar today.  Wish I had Icer here to put on the finishing touches with "icing" once they're cool.  That's where I mess up.  Keep it as minimal as I can.

Would like a nice cuppa, but I know that would keep me awake longer than I want tonight.  Really need a full uninterupted night's sleep.  Pingo got one last night, so maybe tonight the sandman will swing by here!

Chat tomorrow in between molasses/flour mixings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Uninterupted, my sleep may have been, but I was wide awake at 5:00 and up at 5:30!  By 9 a.m. I'll be conking out.

So, Amber, before the day gets away from me, have a wonderful long Easter week-end.  It will be like a mini vacation.  When I was working I would love even a 3 day stretch off.  Gives you a taste of what retirement will be like!

Never made it through Millionaire listings last night, in fact saw the first 10 minutes and then woke up and it was twenty to eleven, and I crawled into bed. I'll have to catch it on the reruns sometime over the week-end.

Hope everyone has a good day, G.T. is on his way to Savannah.  I'll have to remember to take one of our traditional "Easter table" pictures and send it to him.  Mine won't look anything like his, but my style is more homey.  I'll bet their cats are going to miss them for this long a time - a friend is stopping in daily to feed and play with them.  I'm sure they'll give them the old cold shoulder/silent treatment when they first get back.

Chat later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning.  What a wonderful story Amber.  I do hope you have a wonderful, relaxing, long weekend!

Is anyone doing any Easter appetizers?  I'm thinking veggies and dip or something like that.  Any good dip recipies?  I'm sure I can find a good on at Food Network.  Will need to do a search!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Tulips, I bet your brother is as far from you as I am, but I'm in the higher elevations NW of Worcester.  I lived in Beverly, though, for about a year - that was pretty out of the way, and what's with the stop signs on the entrance ramps to 128 up there?  How can you go from 0 to 70 in under 3 seconds?  LOL!  Anyway, that's great that everyone lives nearby.  My family is scattered coast to coast, and I miss everyone and don't really even know my nieces and nephews too well.

tt, you must feel so refreshed for sleeping soundly all night, all ready to hop around the kitchen with your gingerbread bunnies. ;)  

Brr, looks like we got a little snow last night - it stuck anywhere we have mulch.  I've got to get another hot cuppa and get the fire going.

My Easter/Spring decoration hunt fell flat yesterday.  My friend's shop was being managed by her DIL who was having a hard time keeping her 2 year old from grabbing everything breakable she could find so I felt too uncomfortable to stick around.  The antique shop was closed for some reason.  

So, I'll be poking around today, probably with Gracie.  Her limp is gone, but I notice (probably only because I'm hyper sensitive to it) that she stretches that leg for a long time when she gets up, but she's fine after that.

Liz, do you have to suffer the couple of weeks of side effects on Zoloft before it works for you?  I hope it kicks right in and you don't have to wait.  Mine took a month, and being patient after that ordeal was almost more than I could bear, but I hung in there one day at a time 'til it kicked in and I was finally out of the woods.  Hugs!!

Happy southern trails to G.T.  - too bad he'll miss your Easter dinner, tt.  I'm sure your table will be just lovely.

~kar

ETA:  Prin, we were posting at the same time so I just saw your question.  I haven't made this, and I'm sure you'd find it, but if I'd definitely make this 5 star (120 reviews) Spinach Artichoke Dip by Emeril.  I've never been disappointed by a 5 star food network recipe that has over 100 reviews.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: April chat:
    [QUOTE]Good morning.  What a wonderful story Amber.  I do hope you have a wonderful, relaxing, long weekend! Is anyone doing any Easter appetizers?  I'm thinking veggies and dip or something like that.  Any good dip recipies?  I'm sure I can find a good on at Food Network.  Will need to do a search!
    Posted by princess-cal[/QUOTE]

I bought Boston Bean dip and Boursin garlic and herbs cheese spread, along with seasame toasted crackers, and bugles.  Will put out sliced sharp cheese, and black and green olives, and probably will end up deviling some eggs.  I don't want anyone really filling up before dinner.  I've never bought the bean dip before and am hoping it does justice to the bean dips you get in restaurants.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, that sounds like an excellent app line up - hoping people won't fill up is a tall order! ;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: April chat:
    [QUOTE]tt, that sounds like an excellent app line up - hoping people won't fill up is a tall order! ;)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

This group always comes in "starving", usually get up and out late and without breakfast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They are going to start chowing down before the front door closes behind them, lol.  But, if they are that hungry, no worries, they'll keep up the momentum all the way through dessert.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  PC, I have a spinach dip that Amber loved.  I think it may be in the recipe section and I can look if you're interested.  I may make deviled eggs for apps, but there are only 4 of us. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I only plan on hard boiling and deviling 6 eggs, Winter for the 6-7 of us.  They'd eat all that I deviled, and as I said, they only get here about half an hour before dinner is to be ready, so don't want them too full to enjoy the meal.

I've never actually made a dip other than sour cream mixed with something.  Seems as tho there is always so much baking to do - sometimes I stuff celery with cream cheese and sprinkle with paprika.  That's light.  And, of course, my standby is the kielbasa with brown sugar in the crockpot, but again, for a buffet type thing, not really before a separate full meal.