April Weekday Chats - 2009

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

April Weekday Chats - 2009

"This thread is getting too long, I'll be glad to move on to April."

I agree. Ten pages is long enough. I think we can jump into April a little early --

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Re: April Weekday Chats - 2009

HI TT
    I'm back,,,,,,,,,finally :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Glad to read you are busy baking and making plans for Easter weekend.  I am going to my SIL's family for Easter and will bring a dessert. I'm looking forward to it and hope we have a nice sunny day. I got a couple of gift cards and cash for my birthday and am going to spend it on spring flowers for my deck.  I'm on my second pot of blue hyacinths, placed high on the hutch, away from curious kitties.  The smell is divine!    

The butterfly event sounds very interesting.  If you have a chance, tell us more about it. Seems too cold for butterflies right now!  I was away last weekend in Minnesota.  It was colder than here and snowed.  I never thought I would think of Boston in early April as warm, but compared to Minneapolis, it is. 

Ken, are you recovered from your accident?  I hope so.  I envision you back on the trails.

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning all,

It's a chilly one here, only in the 30's.  Good day to do some more baking.

Mothermitzi, did we miss your birthday?  When was it?  Was your trip to Minnesota part of the celebration?  Belated Happy Birthday, in any event.  I love getting gift cards, am enjoying my birthday ones to T.J.'s.  The bookstores cards I'm hanging on to for a bit, have a stack of books to read that I bought at Used Books in Danvers.  Love that store.

The Butterfly Place (Magic Wings) in Deerfield is open all year round.  There's another one closer, but the person who is doing the driving talked with co-workers who have gone to both, and they resoundingly recommended this one - a 2 1/2 hour drive from here.  I would have preferred a different day than Good Friday, but I'm an add-on to the list going, so will just happily tag along.

Good to see you both back on the boards, Ken and Putt.  Ten songs, Ken??  My gosh, you'll be exhausted!  Putt, getting back into your routine will help, I'm sure.  We've all been thinking of you and sending prayers your way.

Hope everyone has a nice Easter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Oh yes, I am back on the trails, and all healed.....but much more cautious...No more speed walking on the trails.

Yes, 10 songs,,,but i go out part way through to change in to costume,  do my bit, and then change back....Men are wearing tux pants and jackets with black t-shirt, no white shirt or tie....just all black.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all friends, good to see you back. Especially putt - we have missed you and have been saying our prayers and thiking of you.

I was talking Easter with my secretary and book keeper yesterday. I asked them if they were going to cook for Easter. Both of them told me - no. They were both having the family over, but had ordered their Easter meal - one at MB the other at S&S. They both praised the food highly.
    I was in awe. Maybe I should think of that the next holiday. Just add a few of my own dishes.

I am planning on my rack of lamb with the trimmings - plus of course a dish for my BIL. Thinking of Eggplant Parm. Then for dessert tt's pistachio cake - went well over last year. I am late getting the stuff together this year. I would normally have done all my shopping by now, but I have been busy at my office with a new book keeper. (She is great by the way, and will soon be able to be on her own more or less).

Hope you all will have a nice day - PingoSmile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

I was just going to post to be sure you weren't having trouble posting again, as you used to sometimes before.

Yes, someone I was talking with yesterday is also having a S&S Easter dinner.  It's a younger person too, "too much to do" was her explanation.  Guess last year she did that, and instead of others bringing a personalized dish to add to the dinner, some are giving her money to help with the cost - - - !!!  I know how both you and I feel about that! 

So glad the pistachio cake seems to have made a hit with those who have tried it.  I've only made it twice, both times for the same son's birthday.  Disappointed not to try the key lime cheesecake, but since there will be a homemade birthday cake for my son's friend, didn't want to take away from that in any way.  (I'm being optimistic that it would have come out fantastic!)  With being away for the day tomorrow, I'm betwixt and between as to what to bake when.  The half moons, sugar cookies, and Irish soda bread all freeze well, so they are done, but I don't want to freeze the gingerbread bunnies.  Normally would bake them tomorrow, but now will have to leave then until Sat.  I feel today is just one day too soon.  Also have the bread dough thawing to make the bread basket today, I hope.  Saltine candy will be done Sat also. - Thinking of the person who is buying complete dinner, I would miss doing all these little extra things to personalize the day.  Altho they aren't things my mother ever made, they do make me feel closer to her and the way she would always make a big deal out of every holiday.

On another note, glad to hear your new bookkeeper is working out so good.  That will take a burden off of you once she is fully trained.  Have a good day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hello all friends, good to see you back. Especially putt - we have missed you and have been saying our prayers and thiking of you. I was talking Easter with my secretary and book keeper yesterday. I asked them if they were going to cook for Easter. Both of them told me - no. They were both having the family over, but had ordered their Easter meal - one at MB the other at S&S. They both praised the food highly. I was in awe. Maybe I should think of that the next holiday. Just add a few of my own dishes. I am planning on my rack of lamb with the trimmings - plus of course a dish for my BIL. Thinking of Eggplant Parm. Then for dessert tt's pistachio cake - went well over last year. I am late getting the stuff together this year. I would normally have done all my shopping by now, but I have been busy at my office with a new book keeper. (She is great by the way, and will soon be able to be on her own more or less). Hope you all will have a nice day - Pingo
    Posted by pingo

Thank you pingo and all board friends for the kind words.  I also wanted to thank you pingo for setting up a prayer time for me a few weeks back.  That was especially kind of all of you and it helped a great deal.

I am having Easter Brunch here with all the kids and also celebrating my daughters birthday.  We will start off with mimosas, have the usual ham, eggs, fruit and muffins and end with birthday cake and ice cream.  Looking forward to it.  They would rather not have the egg hunt as that was their dad's treat but I am hiding large plastic eggs anyway and with luck they each may find a special surprise inside.

Have a great day

putt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,

Thinking of you as my house smells so DELICIOUS with the bread basket cooling (a little, not too much) on my counter.  I'd forgotten how beautiful it rises and what a gorgeous thing it is.  Seemed to brown better this time too.  Now, as long as I don't have any trouble slipping it off the dish, we'll be home safe.  Had to tell G.T. today, as he was emailing about trying to think of a way to bake his Easter eggs in some kind of individual bread baskets!   He much preferred I make yours and will set it on a silver tray he picked up at an antique shop last week, and fill it with rolls to pass around.  What he doesn't know is that I'm bringing it to him filled with Easter grass and Cadbury eggs, his favorite that he can never get enough of! 

As I was reading your original post for this creation, you mention making crystal sugar eggs for the kids that year.  Are you doing that again this year?  You were also making a chocolate mousse cake and the peaches and cream pie.  That's another recipe that has certainly made the rounds.

Got to go check the warmth of my bread.  Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Good morning all, It's a chilly one here, only in the 30's.  Good day to do some more baking. Mothermitzi, did we miss your birthday?  When was it?  Was your trip to Minnesota part of the celebration?  Belated Happy Birthday, in any event.  I love getting gift cards, am enjoying my birthday ones to T.J.'s.  The bookstores cards I'm hanging on to for a bit, have a stack of books to read that I bought at Used Books in Danvers.  Love that store. The Butterfly Place (Magic Wings) in Deerfield is open all year round.  There's another one closer, but the person who is doing the driving talked with co-workers who have gone to both, and they resoundingly recommended this one - a 2 1/2 hour drive from here.  I would have preferred a different day than Good Friday, but I'm an add-on to the list going, so will just happily tag along. Good to see you both back on the boards, Ken and Putt.  Ten songs, Ken??  My gosh, you'll be exhausted!  Putt, getting back into your routine will help, I'm sure.  We've all been thinking of you and sending prayers your way. Hope everyone has a nice Easter.
    Posted by toytrumpet

My birthday was Tuesday.  I went to Minnesota to visit my MIL, who is ailing.  Stopped at my neighborhood fish store on the way home tonight and picked up fresh crabcakes.  They were delicious with white asparagus and a glass (or two) of white wine. I changed my dessert for Sunday from a homemade pie to a ricotta pie from the bakery.  It dawned on me that my SIL's family is Italian and whenever she comes down, she stops at various Italian bakeries around here.  So, I thought the ricotta pie might be a better choice.  I could tell by her reaction it was! I will bring sliced strawberries to put on top.  So there you have it.  Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned, so I'll wish you a Happy Easter now.

mothermitzi    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Oh yes, I am back on the trails, and all healed.....but much more cautious...No more speed walking on the trails. Yes, 10 songs,,,but i go out part way through to change in to costume,  do my bit, and then change back....Men are wearing tux pants and jackets with black t-shirt, no white shirt or tie....just all black.
    Posted by Ken1935

Hi Ken -

You have a busy weekend ahead.  Don't strain your voice! You're going to need it.  The choir program sounds impressive and I know all your hard work will pay off.   Happy Easter to you and your Mrs.

mothermitzi

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Decked out in yellow today - figure the butterflies may think I'm a giant sunflower and land on me!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Decked out in yellow today - figure the butterflies may think I'm a giant sunflower and land on me!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I think the butterflies like yellow...I have been to one of those places...they had a lot of hints for gardening and attracting butterflies...Have fun.

Yes TT I make crystal sugar eggs...I will also make a cho mousse cake.
    This year I will put the kids names on them...maybe I can change this picture of lilies to my eggs...They are almost done.

I do love those bread baskets...I have seen folks do them more individual with an egg in it...I think the Portuguese bakeries do this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    Waiting for both boys to come home tomorrow afternoon. Looks like they found a place for my "doctor" son to stay. Have a surprise for them - smørgas board that is - to celebrate everything. They love it, but it is a lot of work for me. However, I have two days to prepare and cook things - so it is not too bad, and I know everyone will appreciate it. With a good beer and our akvavite - we will sit and linger and talk. For hours, that is. I don't know how often that will happen any longer, so I am looking forward to it.
    If you don't know what a Scandinavian Smørgas board is, it is a spread of all kind of Scandinavian delicacies. Lots of different herrings marinated different ways, some cold cuts with trimmings - f.ex. ham w/ Italian Salad (peas and finely chopped carrots in a light mayo dressing), a few warm dishes - like roast pork w/ red cabbage, pan fried fish fillets w/ homemade remoulade  (the ones they sell here, called tartar sauce - are awful) and then ending it with several cheeses. I have only mentioned a few things - usually we have about 25 different things. At "home" we can buy most of everything, but here I have to make them from scratch. So today and tomorrow I will be busy marinating and cooking.
    I am off to TJ and Costco.
    Hope you all have a nice day - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Hi all,
    Last night was our first performance of the Passion Play. By the end my voice has had it. Of course maybe i shouldn't have gone out and hiked about 8.5 miles and swam 2/3 of a mile. You think maybe that tired me out some.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Ken - I only wish I was in such good shape. You put me to shame.
    MM - Happy Birthday!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Ok - well Edit didn't work so well. Sorry about that.

Pingo - I love your new avatar.

Happy Easter to everyone!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL MY CC FRIENDS

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Hope everyone had a nice Easter.  It was a good day for any traveling one had to do.  Other than sitting in Boston in line for entrance to 495 for about half an hour, ours was a good day.  One of the desserts that was brought was a banana cream pie that had a slight coating of, I think, strawberry on the crust before adding the lightest banana cream I have ever had.  I'm going to google my recipe sites today and see if I come across any filling that might be it.  This one came from a bakery, Lyndell's, or some such.

The butterfly excursion on Friday was great.  When you first pull up, the building wasn't much to look at, and I thought, oh boy, we traveled (and got lost) all this way for this?  Once inside it opened up into 3 large rooms full of tropical plants and 3500 butterflies.  Workers were walking around to answer questions, and also to take out every 15 minutes or so, an iguana and a lizard with a blue tongue, that kids could touch.  There was a case hanging on the wall where butterflies not yet hatched were hanging, and once they emerged and their wings dried they were let out into the room.  And yes, they did like my yellow sweatshirt - not because I looked like a sunflower - but because as I saw, they thought I was a banana!  In different spots around the plants were trays of overly ripe bananas that they were landing on - that was what I looked like to them - an overly ripe banana!

All in all a busy week what with all the baking - glad to have this one to get back to my regular routine.

Enjoying seeing everyone's avatar - and yes, before anyone points it out - I know the picture I chose is not a true avatar (my son pointed that out as he saved it for me!) - but it's a picture I love that does say something about my life with Cheerio!

Have a good day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt, ba-na-na-na!!!!
    I got a chuckle over your overly ripe banana. Maybe overly ripe - but a mushy banana, you are not. Sounds like a lovely place. Will tell my nephew's wife about it - she is always looking for exciting places for her little ones. 
    Our Easter was not as great as I expected it to be. Unfortunately, my nephew and his family was called away at the last moment. His wife's sister was diagnosed with b cancer two years ago. She was doing well, but now they think it is in her lungs. She in intensive care right now - so they all took off at a moment's notice Saturday morning - driving all the way to PA with a 3 year old and 1 year old twins. Of course it put a damper on our Easter dinner - and no need for an egg hunt either.
    Everyone enjoyed your pistachio cake. I had put some yellow glace on it and decorated it with jelly beans (mom, you should bake this more often). For my BIL, I had a piece of eggless cake - saved from the last time and I did the same with that one.
    I am glad you explained, what your avatar is. I couldn't figure it out. What is Cheerio doing? Looking through what?
    Oh well, have  a busy day. Both boys are leaving this afternoon. So I better stop chatting and get ready.
    You have a good one - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

TT
    I love your new avatar....it says "Here's looking at you , babe"

My Easter was nice. Of course I had to sing at both service...Then we had our Easter dinner at my son's house, a nice ham that was very juicy,  candied yams  too    and cream puffs for desert

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo!!! My avatar is taken from inside a mousehole, looking out, with Cheerio looking in !!!  You can tell you're not a cat person!

Hi Ken,  cream puffs sound good to me.  I'm a person who would rather eat the dessert first and then the dinner, if I have room for it!  Your avatar made me smile - I have a pic of myself when I was about 4, squinting in the sunlight, posted on my fridge.  Thought of using that, but my son was in rare form when they picked me up yesterday, so didn't want to ask him to take that home, take a pic of it and then somehow get it to me to use.  With all the singing you have done this past week, do you have any voice left?  I'm sure the services were lovely.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Fellow chatters - now you cannot write the word breazt as in breazt cancer. I was asked to change the word. Hmm!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Fellow chatters - now you cannot write the word breazt as in breazt cancer. I was asked to change the word. Hmm!
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

That is just tooooo much.   so what do we use.....t_t?  sorry ladies, but I could not resist...I mean,, what is the proper word anyhow.   mamary glands...?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yeah, and what are we cooking for dinner? Chicken breazt? Just asking!

[QUOTE]That is just tooooo much.   so what do we use.....t_t?  sorry ladies, but I could not resist...I mean,, what is the proper word anyhow.   mamary glands...?
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]