August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: August 2011

The t-shirt sounds like a fun idea for a project.  DS has been reading all summer.  He is on the third book that I know of.  His summer assignment is to do 30 minutes of reading per day - everyday.  He takes notes as he goes, and fills in worksheets about main themes, charater development, etc.  Sort of like a book report, but shorter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, oh how much both our boys hated that book. Me too - but of course, I wouldn't tell them as it was a requisite reading for them.
    Please remember, DH and I didn't attend elementary and high schools here, so most of these books were totally new for us. So many I truly enjoyed so - I learned a lot about my adopted country.
    Btw. did you ever later on finished the book? I did b/c our boys had to. But I never really liked it. I don't even remember the ending anymore. All I do remember was, how much the Joad family suffered. Anyway, I have never been a John Steinback fan. You tickled my interest. Maybe I am a lot more mature now, and maybe I get will something out of it, if I read it again. Hm----!
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    Pingo, you've triggered another memory and story.  I read the first 10 pages of The Grapes of Wrath and hated it SO MUCH that instead of reading the rest, I went in to my 10th grade English teacher and informed him I wouldn't be reading it so, "Don't bother asking me any questions in class about it."   I happily did NOTHING for 2 weeks in English, failed that section of the test, and I never did read the rest.  Still got an A in the class - I knew I could sacrifice that grade and still pull it off so I saw no point in causing myself the pain of that book.
    Posted by kargiver

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hilarious, Pingo!!  I thought I was the only one who hated that classic so much.  I found it so incredibly painful to read those 10 pages, that I never got a hankerin' (a word that might have been chosen by Steinbeck?) to pick it up again, and I never did.  However, I did enjoy Of Mice and Men so I can't say I hate all Steinbeck, but I should qualify that statement by saying those are the only two books of his I'm familiar with at all...I don't know if he wrote anything else, and I never had the inclination to find out!  

And, I was an avid reader, too.  I remember my school favorites, Where the Red Fern Grows, A Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird, How Green was my Valley...all tear jerkers that still choke me up to think about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everyone! Beastsgirl and Stitches here. I have just spent an hour catching up on everyone. I don't know where to begin. It seems like everyone is having a really busy summer with some downs, but lots of ups. Stitces doesn't know if he's up, down, here or there. We sold our house, (Yeah), but it was three weeks before we could move into the new place. Sooo, we are now living in a hotel suite until then. Fortunately, we found a hotel that accepts pets, but poor Stitches,doesn't know what the "H" is going on. We are moving downtown, to a condo. We lived in a Boston neighborhood,but one of the ones further away than the inner city. D.D. is going to be a sophmore this year. She's young for that grade, as she was born Aug 31, so has always been the youngest in her class. Her summer reading is 3 required books. She has to choose 10 quotes from each book,and analyze them. She is doing really well though. Hotel living is fun at first,pool,fitness room,maid service,etc. but, It's not home. D.H. made me feel guilty,(and rightly so), when I complained about it yesterday. How many people are not fortunate enough to have this as a problem? Now to finish catching up with you all!bg

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I was on my way to bed, when I just decided to check the Chat. So good to hear from you. Sounds like you had a very busy summer, selling your home and moving and all. How is DD doing? Did she go to Ireland? Hope to hear a lot more from you. You were so missed.
    More tmw. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi there Pingo D.D. hopefully will be going to Ireland soon,probably just for a week, and then again at Christmas for St.Stephens day. Will check in tomorrow. Glad to be back! bg

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi bg -

Glad to see a post from you.  It's been awhile.  Good luck with your move.  I hope you'll be in your new condo soon and your daughter acclimates to her new school. While hotel living is a nice concept, I can understand why you'd rather be in your own home.  Earlier this year, I spent almost two months in a residence hotel for work and was mighty tired of it at the end. I'm sure Stitches will love his new home!  Take care of yourself.

mothermitzi

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Yeah, Ache - times are tough these days. Had to spend the "dough" on a new refrigerator/freezer. Remember? - Pingo In Response to Re: August 2011 :
    Posted by pingo

Touche, pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber has a birthday
    and a party will ensue,
    with guests of all descriptions
     round a table meant for two.

Dear Daughter takes the guest chair
    while Mom dons a party hat -
    and Amber, Boo and Tigger
    don't want to miss on that!

Besides a birthday cake
    there's a tray of catnip mice,
    that's decorated round the rim
    with doggie bones - that's nice!

While daughter leads the singing
    of "Happy Birthday, Mom",
    meows and purrs and barks are heard
    a song superbly sung!

But all your friends in Chatland
    want to join the celebration -
    so "Happy Birthday, Amber"
    Hope this year is a sensation!

Happy Birthday, Amber from toytrumpet (and Cheerio) - August, 2011 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Another fabulous poem, tt!!!  Can't wait 'til Amber sees it......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Nice poem tt - happy birthday amber!  BG - nice to see your post, sounds like you have been quite busy.  Hope things are well with your DD, I know it's a long road.

Buster is doing better with his leg, finally!  Kar, I saw your post on the pets forum, it was great, can't wait to see the response!

Things are just crazy at work and I am getting so burnt out.  Just have to hold on until vacation the week of the 29th!  Don't have any plans yet, it will just be nice to be able to focus on things around the house and maybe meet some friends, etc.

Hope you all have a great day!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh my God tt....  that is the best poem ever!  I actually choked a bit since you touched on so many aspects of my life..  I adore you my chat friend and I have already copied and pasted it onto a word document that i will save and treasure.  Thank you so much!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

BG, so wonderful to hear from you and I'm sure stitches will adjust.  It does take time.  My cats had a hard time when I moved, but once they realized they weren't in a "new home" they were fine.  Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes and Princess so happy to hear Buster is doing better.  Kar, I agree that ignorance is bliss : )  One of the perks of renting for sure.  My bathroom sink bowl broke over the weekend, so my landlord is ordering me a new one.  Pain to use the kitchen sink, but love not having the expense of fixing it.  Have a wonderful day everyone and thank you again!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're very welcome, Amber, and I LOVE your new signature!  Is that your motto for the year?  I'm passing that on to a few of my friends this morning, actually they'll think I made it up and am quite clever!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I thought the new signature was fitting since i am older today!  LOL!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Happy birthday Amber.  tt, what a wonderful poem.  I too was not a fan of the Grapes of Wrath, but read it anyway as I was in Honors English and the teacher had a habit of asking us surprise questions about and I did not what to not have an answer in front of the class.  One book I hated though was Silas Marner. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, sorry, I missed your post this morning - so good to see you!  Congrats on the house - hope we can see some photos of the new place when you get settled.  That's great DD is traveling, and I hope she's doing better.

Amber, I don't see the new signature, still the old "open your mouth" one...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg, so good to see your post this morning.  Boy, what a year you've had, so many ups and downs and changes.  I can understand poor Stitches being a bit confused. I think cats are like me - don't like change.  Well, you can complain to us about living out of a hotel room, other women certainly understand.  It will be so good once you're settled in your new place and are able to start your new routine. Sounds as DD is doing well, if you are thinking of letting her go to Ireland this summer.  The fresh country air will be good for her, and those smiling Irish faces.   

There's been an empty spot on this thread since you've been gone, and it's sooo good to have you back with us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy Birthday Amber!!   The sun came out to shine on you today, and I hope you have a fabulous day!

TT - Bravo on Amber's bday poem.  You are incredibly thoughtful, and creative.

BG - SOooooo good to see you!  What a busy summer you are having, too!!  Congrats on the move.  I don't blame you for growing weary of hotel life, but soon you'll be in your new condo and it'll be just a distant memory! 

Good news for Buster, Cal!  Hang in there - vacation is just a couple weeks away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Bg, it's nice to see you back and congratulations on the new house.  I'm glad that DD is doing well and that she will be going to Ireland soon.  I'd be more than happy to travel with her. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Birthday amber! Hope your special day is all you want it to be. You're already off to a good start.  Nothing like waking up on your birthday and finding a special poem from tt. 

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

mm, I agree the poem from tt was such a treat and so thoughtful... 

Kar, I forgot I have to change the signature in both Google Chrome and IE.  The weird part, is the new signature does show in Google Chrome when I go to my profile, but I have to hit save to get it to show.  But thank you for the heads up!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

mm, I agree the poem from tt was such a treat and so thoughtful...  Kar, I forgot I have to change the signature in both Google Chrome and IE.  The weird part, is the new signature does show in Google Chrome when I go to my profile, but I have to hit save to get it to show.  But thank you for the heads up!
    Posted by ambergirl

I use Chrome for CC, and I could see it all along -

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

that is interesting tt..  not sure why some can see it and others can't.  just one of those bugs with boston.com.   I know Cheerio must be loving this beautiful day : )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I use Chrome, too.  Strange.  I still don't see it... Our sewer problem is tempting me to spend the day with Gracie somewhere else...but, where? Winter, my teacher had that habit, too, that's why I warned him not to bother asking ME questions about that awful book I wasn't reading!  He didn't. :) ETA:  Wait, I'm stuck here - we're getting a delivery I have to be here for, darn it.
    Posted by kargiver

I was just going to suggest that alpaca farm - remember the one you posted pics of?  For some reason that's been popping up in my mind the last few days, have you been thinking of going out there again or something?  (We're all so finely atuned to each other!)  But, maybe the delivery will come early and you can still get out somewhere, even down to that little cafe you like and where everyone enjoys Gracie.

Sections
Shortcuts