August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Re: August 2011

Winter, I know how you feel, I have been covering for someone all week as well.  It's been crazy.  I am so glad that it is Friday.  Hoping for a nice weekend!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy Friday, everyone!  DH is about to drop he's so tired and ready for the weekend.

Speaking of DH, he wasn't very pleased to have our "issue" posted about (he's convinced this isn't annon, and he wants to keep it private) so I took down all my posts about it starting on page 22.  He's funny about the whole online community thing, sorry everyone!

We have our first bowl of peaches from the mature tree!  I'll post a photo in the gardening thread later.  I found a recipe for fresh tomato peach salsa that calls for red onion, and those will be ready soon so I'll save it.  Sounds like a great condiment for roasted chicken or pork tenderloin.

Not sure what's on the to-do list today, but I'm going to get the chores done early and go out with Gracie.  So, have a great day, everyone, and fabulous weekend!!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Humid one today.  PITA trying to put my makeup on.  I am planning on a nice quiet weekend.  Cleaning tomorrow and doing some shopping, but Sunday and Monday I don't have plans yet.  I am off Monday, my last hurrah for vacation days for summer.  Love the 4 day work weeks, wish I could do it all the time.  I hope everyone has a great day!  Stay cool!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, ambergirl, sounds like a great 3 day weekend planned.  You get to clean and then actually enjoy a couple of days to just have fun and relax.  I think a 4 day work week would make for a happier society.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  No weekend plans for me I hear it's supposed to be hot and humid on Sunday, so that will be a pool day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning all,

Glad you are enjoying the turkey man thread, I certainly am.

Warm this morning, I think the humidity is settling in too.  Haven't decided what my day will hold.  Put a call in to local son a couple of days ago asking him to come over and take a look/see at my cellar and give me his opinion of which direction to go in next, as far as what type of company to call.  Don't know when he'll get a chance to stop by, so sort of hanging for that.

Spoke with my friend's brother the other night and she has been moved to rehab.  He said she is doing good.  He was taking pictures of the steep stairs to her 2nd floor apartment to show them, so they'll realize what she faces when she does come home.  She is apt to minimize, and I'm glad that altho he isn't there all the time, he is living with her now to take charge a bit of medical issues like this.

Have to get out to the store at some point to get some carrots for chicken soup.  Don't think it will be today tho, I'm in a lazy mode.  Have stripped my bed and may give that room a good going over.  Furniture gets sticky feeling in this humidity.

Hope you all have a good day.  I'll be here, off and on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Leaving for my yearly physical shortly. Just wanted to say "Hi!"
    Got a real good work out at my PT last night, but today I am sore. We are working on the core muscles. Two cesareans left them kind of weak. What we do for our children!
    This weekend will be another working one, I am sure. Not complaining - stuff has to be done. Looking forward to the Labor Day weekend. Both sons and DIL wil be here. Just received their itineraries.
    Have a nice day y'all (my adopted Texan drawl). Chat later - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, Anything wrong with your cellar?  Going to do it over?  What a huge job!!
    Finally got my new range hood installed, what a pleasure to be able to see what I am doing at the stove now.....altho 2 main parts were left out and I had to go and get em, boy did I give them a piece of my mind, no charge, but when I got the missing  parts back home and gave them to the installer, you guessed, one part was wrong...have to go back again!!!  He showed me how to put the part in when I get it.  Thank goodness the store is only about 5/8 min. from where I live. Take care all and enjoy the sunshine. ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]tt, Anything wrong with your cellar?  Going to do it over?  What a huge job!! Finally got my new range hood installed, what a pleasure to be able to see what I am doing at the stove now.....altho 2 main parts were left out and I had to go and get em, boy did I give them a piece of my mind, no charge, but when I got the missing  parts back home and gave them to the installer, you guessed, one part was wrong...have to go back again!!!  He showed me how to put the part in when I get it.  Thank goodness the store is only about 5/8 min. from where I live. Take care all and enjoy the sunshine. ss
    Posted by shakersilly2010[/QUOTE]

Water, SS, water.  No puddles or standing water, but the floor has never dried out from when G.T. patched the outside, and new rainfalls show new wetness at base of cinder blocks.  I, of course, after googling and reading all the things that could need to be done, am convinced it's going to be something like tree roots under the floor, cinder blocks that have become pourous from the outside, you name it, talking thousands.  That's why I wanted my in town son to just give me his opinion - it would matter what type of company I call.  I don't think it's merely having it waterproofed, not with the cinder blocks.  Of course, whatever company I call (waterproofing, French drain) they are going to tell me that their procedure is the one I need to take care of it.  What do I know?  Want son's opinion as where to start.

I will take this problem over your sewerage one tho, Kargiver, that would be one I couldn't deal with on my own.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Came back from my physical - went well. The numbers from my blood work were all great - better than last year. Got my flu shot and B12 shot at the same time. PCP does not like the painkiller my spine doc gave me. Suspecting it to up my BP. So he is going to converse with him and have me start on something else. What are we lay people to know?
    He also didn't like my one drooping eyelid. I may have had a small stroke. ???? So besides that - all is well. He loved my weight loss - only 15 lbs, but it is going in the right direction. Have another 15 to go.
    What is everyone's plans for this weekend? I know, what Kar and her DH will be doing - and tt will be looking down her basement. Not exactly exciting adventures. I will be putting in lots of hours at our office. Not that I love to do so, but our new CPA found some mistakes going way back to 2008. Have to correct that. Meaning looking into a ton of old files and doing spread sheets, spreadsheets, spreadsheets. Will hopefully have it all done by the end of this weekend.
    Both sons will be home for the Labor Day weekend. Something for me to look forward to and keep me going. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A small stroke?  That's not to be taken lightly, Pingo.  I know you had the carotid artery scan after my operation, but perhaps it's time for another look at both sides?  How about cutting back on some of the work hours too - you put in an awfully lot, and altho you may think you're doing just fine, your body may be telling you it's taking a toll.  How about registering for a meditation class - or if you feel you can do it on your own, make time for 15 minutes the start of each day.  You're always rushing around doing, even it seems, when you are home.  You're much too important to all of us and those around you to take this lightly and let something more serious happen to you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree with tt Pingo.  Please take her advice..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, yes please take tt's advice to heart. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did he mention the possibility of it being Bell's Palsy instead of from having had a stroke, Pingo?  A drooping eyelid is a classic symptom of that innocuous, albeit disconcerting, condition. Is he ordering more tests to investigate the possibility that it was a stroke?  Evaluating the risk of another one (if it was)?

Edited to add a link to an article describing Bell's Palsy (above) that explains it only affects one side of the face, strokes affect one side of the whole body.  So, I'm thinking if just your eyelid is affected, it's unlikely to be a stoke, but I'm no doctor!   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Suggesting a "small" or "slight" stroke is no laughing matter.  Did he schedule any follow-ups or a cat scan? I don't want to intrude, but the best advice I can give you is to ask for what you think you need.  Don't rely on the doctor 100%. I trust my doc, but I've had to speak up for myself on more than one occasion. By the way, congrats on the weight loss!  Fifteen pounds is no small fete.  It took me two years to lose that much.  

So glad your sons and DIL will be with you for Labor Day. That is truly something to look forward to.  I don't think I'll see my son for awhile now, although he told me in private he will try to come for my father's birthday this fall.  Made me promise I wouldn't say anything in case it doesn't happen.  In the meantime, I'm staying put this weekend.  I need to clean up my yard and I'm invited to a cookout next door on Sunday.  

What a storm this afternoon!  So dark, the street lights came on and then wind and torrents of rain, not to mention hail hitting the windows of the office.  For a minute or two I wondered if they'd break.  Don't usually get hail in the city. Thought it might be cooler after the storm, but it's just as humid if not worse. Walked by the farmers market in Copley on my way home, and some of the vendors' awnings collapsed and there were plants and produce all over the place.  Felt bad for them.  It takes them a good hour just to set up.

Well, take care everybody and have  a good weekend.

mothermitzi 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, It cost me $8,000.00 to waterproof my basement, and altho we don't take in any water anymore, when there is a rainy day or week, our basement has a real musty smell.....I try to remember to put the de-humidifier (?) on.  Do you have a pump?  Even with my costly waterproofing, they installed a pump too.  Hope the mail I sent you got there ok.Take care and keep smiling . ss
    PS: if your son recommends waterproofing, I'll tell you my co. so you can stay away from them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, SS.  I know in the reading I've done, some companies stress the importance of going beyond waterproofing method , to eliminate any chance of mold from build up of water that may be trapped in the wall.   I think this is particularly true of cinder blocks since they are hollow.  I don't have standing water, or puddling, just wet walls and the cement floor which has never dried out.  It was so full of old lumber and broken things before I had it cleaned out, and I never went in there, so have no idea if this has been going on for a month, a year, or longer.  At least the hole G.T. filled has stopped any actual water coming in, just wetness.  I haven't checked the last couple of days, don't want to think about it, give myself the week-ends off from worry of any kind!  Still waiting for son to stop over, maybe today.

Yes, thanks, I got the envelope.  Was just looking at it again a few minutes ago, will definitely be making it next time G.T. is down.  They are having new furniture and carpeting delivered today, and then I think he will start in earnest thinking of this year's holiday decorations.  Don't expect to see him much for a while.

What's up with you today?  Any flea markets or yard sales?  I can see from my window a homemade sign thumbtacked to the corner street light post.  Must be a yard sale off of this street somewhere.  Want to come down and go? (If only, we lived that close to each other, huh?)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, if you have no other muscle weakness on the side of your body with the eyelid droop, I encourage you to not only get further tests for signs of or precursors for stroke, but also ask your doc about Bell's Palsy.

SS, so happy for you and your new hood!  I need one myself...mine has a light and a fan, but it's not vented to the outside so it just makes a lot of noise for nothin'.  I've set the smoke detectors off a few times not knowing that. LOL!

Moisture is such a btch to get rid of, tt!  I hope things get worked out in the basement without any big expense.  $8000, SS, wow!

Our problem is fixed.  I shouldn't have mentioned it, I guess (DH wasn't pleased with the attention I brought to it), so we'll leave it at that.

I took Gracie to the market this morning, and we had such a good time.  So many dogs and little kids.  Actually, there were a couple of puppies, and I got to share (when they asked) a bunch of training tips.  People often do ask because she's so well behaved, and I thoroughly enjoy teaching.  Gracie never lets me down when I use her to demonstrate.  There was a tiny lab pup there - I don't remember Gracie ever being quite that small!

I'm making another batch of zucchini bread this afternoon after we scarfed down the last two pieces just now.  Here I go. :)

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Made a big mess of the zucchini bread.  I've been taking it out 15 earlier than the recipe calls for (and it's been cooked through), but this time I lowered the rack so the top wouldn't get so brown.  Put it on for the same time, and didn't check it before dumping it out 10 mintues later to the rack to cool, and, you guessed it, it wasn't done.  So, I had to attempt to put that less than done and broken one back in the pan and put them both back in to cook in the already cool toaster oven.  Sigh.  But, they are out, now, and are delcious and cooked albeit broken into a few pieces.  Phew!  Pulled it off...it was touch and go there for a few minutes. LOL!

Our first cabbage of the year is in the pan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I have just been catching up... I am pooped...I'll check in later...need rest

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi all! Hope everyone has a great weekend. Mine started out well,not so great. Idon't know if I had mentioned that while selling the house the week before last, my car broke down, and I got a rental. 800 dollars later, I got my car back. Well on my way home last evening, a cellphone talking 19 year old rammed in to me!!! She was crying, and shaking. I felt bad for her at first, and tried to calm her down. I wrote down all my info, gave her a pen and paper. All she wrote down was her mom's cell number, her name, and herown name and cell no. She then got on the phone to ask her Daddy what to do. She handed her phone to meb/c her dad wanted to talk to me. I called the police to get a written report for the insurance co. Well when the cop wrote up the report, after a long time, he takedto her first, then came over to me, He told me he had to give her 2 citations. #1, the SUV she was driving wasn't registered,and #2 for driving to endanger, and failing to yeild.  OkeeDokey. Now I an yet another reted car and living in a rented hotel suite for the next couple of weeks. When Iread the police report, i saw that on the paper she handed me, she had written an entirely different address than she gave the police, and a different ins. co.! I am so glad  I called them. She was picked up in a mercedes while they towed her car because it wasn't registered.  Sorry for this long rant, just needed to vent. Hmmm, any ideas of what I can rent next???LOL bg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

A nice cool morning, the crows are cawing (which I love), and I think it's going to be a beautiful day.  So nice to have my crows back.  They come and go, and the last couple of days I have even seen a couple, besides hearing their calling to each other.  One calls, and then a minute later you hear another answer farther away.  I suppose they're signaling where they've found food.  If I have eggs that are over 2 weeks old, I usually put that crate up the back part of my yard.  They usually spot that and timidly, (surprising seeing their size) come down and feast.  I know I'm in the minority of crow lovers, but for whatever reason, I do.

Bg, what a year you've had and are having.  At least, as I know I've said to you before, it gives your mind another problem to think about and it doesn't get overwhelmed with one major concern!  Things are bound to turn around and some good karma reach you soon.  I received something in the mail a couple of days ago, and part of it read, "Miracles happen every day in many ways.  They are not always visible, but they are there all the same."  I have that tucked up on my computer table and I read it every morning.  Makes me smile, and I picture little angels flitting all around me waiting for me to notice them and their good deeds!

Cheerio patiently waits mewing at the door for her breakfast, and my stomach is growling too, so maybe pancakes again this morning.  I used to make that a Sunday traditiion, sounds good this morning.  Chat later.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!  

bg, so sorry about your ordeal with what sounds like a real winner of a woman in the making.  At least you had the wherewithal to call the cops and get the real information; I shudder to think what the situation would be right now if you hadn't.  

tt, pancakes sound so good...I wonder if I could make the zucchini bread batter and use it as pancakes.  It has the same consistency.  I think I'll try it next weekend.

DH is off hiking, and I'm going to have another nice, hot cuppa. :)  I can't keep up with him when he exercises - he's 6'3", and I'm a foot shorter.  We'll probably take Gracie out in the boat tonight, though.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

bg - sorry to hear about your difficult time  Like tt said, things are bound to turn around for you.  You certainly deserve it.

We had a nice day, DH and I took my mom and MIL out on the Odyssey for the brunch today  It was very nice, did run into one shower but it passed very quickly.  It was a nice afternoon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Princess,

What a nice afternoon you set up for your mother and MIL.  I'm sure they both had a great time.

How is Buster doing?  Love that last pic you posted of him and Spencer.  That was such a cute shot.

Have thrown the kitchen sink in a skillet for supper tonight, sauteed onions, celery, kielbasa, barbecued chicken pieces, chicken broth, and the contents of a mystery tupperware I found in the freezer that smells spicey, and seems to have mushrooms, tomato sauce, and I can't identify what else - besides chili.  I'm cooking up a pkg of brown rice to add and mix.  Think I'll definitely want a nice cool glass of iced tea - the spicey aromas are filtering through the house!