August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August 2011

Prin, I hope your mom enjoyed her "Odyssey."  What was on the menu?  I went on a dinner cruise on the Spirit of Boston once, but it was so long ago I hardly remember...1992, I think.

tt, sounds like a delicious blend of intense flavors for tonight.  We've got a far less exciting meal planned of steamed broccoli.  I want pizza, but we didn't plant that, apparently.

Where is Pingo today?  Hopefully, out enjoying this lovely summer day, not at the office.  Any news on a new bookkeeper?  That's an endless job.

We had a brief thunerstorm here, and now the sun is out.  Hope things are lovely and sunny over your heads, too. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thunder this afternoon, while the sun was out, but no rain so far.  Sun keeps going in and out.

We may have a new member joining us, I'm terrible with names, but she posted on the Recipes column and I invited her to hop over here and join us.  She is a reader and contributer of Chat from back in the newspaper days.  Hopefully, the directions I gave her will get her here.  I think it's CamilleJoanne.  I'll go double check.

ETA:  I see you've already found her!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it's cj!  I just noticed her post there a few minutes ago and said hello over there, too.  How nice!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning everyone.  Well, back to work already.  Oh well  - at least I am on vacation next week!

Kar - they had a buffet brunch so there was a lot to choose from.  Eggs, bacon, sausage, salmon, pastries.  They also had fruit, 3 salads, polenta with mushrooms and tomatoes, pasta primavera, tilapia, maple glazed chicken, and a carving station for meats.  I don't eat sweets, so I didn't check out the dessert table, but MIL said they had a little of everything, including a chocolate fountain.  I was just a nice leisurly way to spend the afternoon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oohhhhh, I'm drooling at that breakfast spread, and how lovely to take your mom on a harbor cruise.  It's nice to do something fancy now and again and totally relax and enjoy the moment.  Thanks for the description!  Have you mentioned what you'll be doing on vaca, prin?

How awful is a mammogram?  My first is tomorrow.  I'm not looking forward to being smushed.

Sigh, Monday, again, already.  DH is gone, Gracie is still staring down the driveway, forlorn, and I'm getting ready to go to the chiropractor.

The weather forecast looks great this week.   Hope everyone can enjoy it.  Oh, speaking of weather, a harbinger of things to come was on the patio yesterday - a bright orange LEAF.

Blessings,
    ~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  PC, that brunch sounds wonderful.  kar, good luck. I had a baseline mammogram done at 35 and I know the yearly is coming up quickly. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Sorry, I was absent during the weekend. I was feeling a bit under the weather. Thought I was coming down with something. But then I realized I had my flu shot Friday. Possibly a bit of reaction to that. Anyway, I slept most of Saturday. Sunday I tried to do a few chores, I didn't get in Saturday - like laundry. I just hate to get behind with my laundry, and I don't like to start my new week w/ a messy house either. But the energy wasn't there. I am feeling much better this morning.
    Thanks my friends for your concern in regard to my "minor stroke". Believe me, it is not being taken lightly by me nor my doc. Kar, we did discuss Bell's - but if that was it, it would have affected the entire side of my face. Besides, I can move the eyelid - if Bell's, I would have some kind of paralysis. Truthfully, I believe it is not a stroke, but related to my diabetes. I am being monitored closely. PCP did change some of my meds and wants to see me a month from now.
    Bg, so sorry you have had such a rotten time. Like Princess already told you, there can only be better times ahead. Hopefully you will be in your new place soon. Congratulations to you for being so observant to call the police for your accident. These days, there are so many driving w/o registered cars and no licenses.
    Princess, what a nice thing to do for your mothers. We have been to the dinner cruise, but never the brunch one. Your description makes me want to go. How is Buster?
    Kar, I laughed at your Zucchini bread "adventure". Something like that has happened to me many times. One just have to get the best out of it. Once I was baking a pound cake - but I sat it at the wrong temp. I needed it for serving it with strawberries and whipped cream. Well, it didn't turn out so well. I scooped everything out of the pan, found my tartlet forms and proceeded to press the half done batter in them. Then baked them and at serving time added my strawberries and whipped cream. No one knew, what a disaster it had been. LOL
    Kar, in regard to your mammo - please, don't be so afraid of it. I know lots of women "cry wolf", when they are scheduled for one. Personally, I have never had an awful experience. Yes, they do squeeze you, but not to a point that it is unbearable. Besides the newer equipment they have, do not squeeze nearly as much as the older ones. The last time I went, I could hardly feel it. Important thing is to relax and think of something else. It only takes a few seconds (for each one), so it will be all over before you know. Also, you can take a Motrin or Advil an hour before, that will help cutting down on the "pain". But we are all different and I am sure, you will hear a lot of horror stories. Just don't listen to them.
    I am on my way to my PT - actually a new one. "My" PT is on vacation this week.
    Hope you all have a nice day - chat later. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning friends.  Last week was nutso, covering for a few out of the office, so I took Friday off and ran like the wind for a long weekend.  Back now, though, and very much rejuvinated.

BG - OMG!  Thank goodness you called the police!  More importantly though, are you OK?  Hope you were not hurt at all.  Must feel like you are living someone else's life in all your rental.  Just keep in your mind that these things are all temporary. 

Pingo, I too am worried about your Dr's stroke comment.  Definitely not to be taken lightly. 

Did I miss a post from our new friend?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, she hasn't crossed over yet!  She's posting under Food:  Recipes thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thx, tt.  It sounded as though she had already posted here and I was scrolling and scrolling and couldn't find it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I have always gotten sick (I know not the "real" flu) from the flu shot to the point that I avoid it, now, and take my chances.  I've been sick enough from the shot to miss work.  Glad you are feeling better, but sorry that put a damper on your weekend.

Thanks for giving us further info on what the doc said about your eyelid.  I do have a friend who had an episode of Bell's that did only affect his eye, but I'm glad to know your doctor didn't totally miss the idea that it could have been that.  Although, now I worry more that it indicates something more serious.  Hope it's nothing, of course, and happy to know it's being taken seriously.

My mammo is not exactly routine, but I'm sure it will be OK.  Thanks, everyone, for putting my mind at ease about the procedure.  I have heard horror stories that I have now dismissed. :)

Nov, isn't a 3 day weekend great?  I always felt like I needed 3 days per week to myself to be productive and happy(ier) at work.

Hope your PT goes well, Pingo, and you are not too sore afterwards.  

How did I work and get anything done?  I had my chiropractic appointment today, my radiology appointment tomorrow, and Gracie's vet visit (routine) on Wednesday.  Today I'll be doing a thorough cleaning job of the floors; I'm so glad for the sanitizing steamer, some times more than others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, are you working today?  Usually you've popped in to say "hi" before this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I believe Amber took off today. Her last long weekend for the summer. - Pingo
    In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]Amber, are you working today?  Usually you've popped in to say "hi" before this.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]tt, I believe Amber took off today. Her last long weekend for the summer. - Pingo In Response to Re: August 2011 :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I sort of did have that tucked away in the back of my mind.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just a heads up, Pingo.  Picked up a couple of Haddock fillets (sale $7.99/lb) today at S&S.  Baked one for supper and it was so sweet.  They're not thick fillets, but one was just right for me.  Froze other.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that haddock sounds really good to me. Maybe tmw. - thanks for the tip.
    Tonight is leftovers, which we didn't even started on. I started a crockpot full of spareribs - you know Hat's recipe - on Saturday, thinking we were going to work all day.  But we never got to eat them. I was just not up to eat anything, never less preparing something for DH - so the poor guy went out to get a pizza. I had maybe 1/2 slice before I went back to bed. He was gracious enough to cool down the pot and put the entire thing in the ref. (I could not have cared less at the time, if I had to throw out the entire thing. ) Just cooked rice pilaf to go with it. They always say, some dishes is better when they sit a day or two. I think this is on of them. There will be more than enough for another meal, but that I will freeze.
    I hope you enjoyed your haddock - Pingo

[QUOTE]Just a heads up, Pingo.  Picked up a couple of Haddock fillets (sale $7.99/lb) today at S&S.  Baked one for supper and it was so sweet.  They're not thick fillets, but one was just right for me.  Froze other.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Funny, I bought boneless pork tenderloin today (another special $2.49) to throw in the crockpot tomorrow with onions and  Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce.  I love that now.  Makes up a good batch, can eat what I want over a day or two and then freeze the rest to use in my brown rice/peppers/onions/mushrooms and whatever cooked meat is in the freezer, concoction.

Glad you are feeling better.  Probably was a reaction to the shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everyone! It's so good to read all your posts after a long day. I'm so glad you're feeling better Pingo. Nov., Initially, I told the cop that I was O.K. , but a few hours later my neckand upper back hurt. D.H. wanted me to go get it checked Sat. a.m., but theres a whirlpool here, and a swimming pool. That and Advil helps. When D.H. called our insurance  co. about the  accident, he mentioned my pain. She called me today, and said I'm able to receive up to 2000.00 for injuries. I told hher that as it doesn't seem to be improving, I'm going to my M.D. tomorrow. So she's sending me out the paperwork. Then I'm sure my ins. co. will go after the other drivers co. since she was clearly at fault. At first, I had no intention of calling the police, but I'm SO glad I did . Yhanks all of you for your concern. I have had a tough year. You must think I'm this miserable person. I'm actually pretty funloving, and roll with the punches. t.t., I love that quote you have next to your computer. I'm going to copy it down for myself. Kar hope alls well with the mammogram. Well, off to the whirlpool for self prescribed P.T. Take care bg

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That sounds really yummy, tt.
    Make sure you don't cook that tenderloin too long though. Is is best, when is pink inside. Most people cook the life out of it because they think they should, because it is pork. I have never done it in my crock pot, b/c it cooks so fast. Let me know, when it is ready - love it too. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Funny, I bought boneless pork tenderloin today (another special $2.49) to throw in the crockpot tomorrow with onions and  Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce.  I love that now.  Makes up a good batch, can eat what I want over a day or two and then freeze the rest to use in my brown rice/peppers/onions/mushrooms and whatever cooked meat is in the freezer, concoction. Glad you are feeling better.  Probably was a reaction to the shot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Beautiful cool morning, signs of Fall.  Seems as tho our summer came and went too fast.  I like this kind of weather of the past day or two, warm and comfortable, and beautiful weather for sleeping at night.

Have noticed a lot more air traffic over my house, and then saw on the news last night that one of Logan's runways is being lenghtened, resulting in diverting the approach and take off of many planes.  Even as far out as I am, there's an impact. One of the approach patterns is right over my house.  Can't say I really mind, it's not like the people in Revere and Winthrop who really have the roar of the jet engines over their heads.  I grew up in Lynn, and we had an approach pattern over our house there too.

Busy morning today with lots to do before I go out.  Putting the pork in the crockpot.  I do like my pork well done, Pingo.  Will brown it first then put it in the pot for 6-8 hours on low.  it will come out almost like a pulled pork.  Yum, to me.  Last time because of time constraints I put it on high for a shorter period of time, and my son felt it was not as tender as could be, because of cooking on a higher heat.  No complaints from the rest of the barbecue crowd tho.

Bg, sorry to hear you're suffering after effects from the accident.  that's usually the way it is tho, they say you should always be checked out, because by the time you get to the hospital even, you're usually suffering some of the aches and pains.  By all means, take care of yourself and don't let it the pain get ahead of you.

Will be good to see you back today, Amber.  Hope you enjoyed your week-end. Ache and I have been rambling along with our turkey thread.  It's fun for me, anyway, and I guess he's enjoying the the give and take too, or he wouldn't partake.

I'll stop in later after I'm back and Y&R has aired.  Do love that soap.

Speaking of Hats (crockpot ribs), where is she?  Haven't seen any posts lately.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, sorry about your post-accident aches.  Like others said, the soft tissue damage doesn't show up right away.  I've been hit from behind 2 or 3 times, and it's always the same progression.

Indeed, Fall is about here.  It dipped into the 40s last night!  Brrr.  DH actually suggested we put a blanket on the bed...I almost cried.

Thanks for the well wishes on the mammogram.  It's not routine, so I admit the squishing isn't all I'm concerned about.  But, statistically speaking, it will probably be nothing.

tt, when you said "air traffic," I thought you were going to say something about the geese flying South!  LOL  Glad the jets are not bothering you.

Pingo, I agree about pork.  Emeril was the one who first alerted me that pork should be a little pink in the middle, and I've cooked it that way ever since (much to the joy of my DH who used to "hate pork").

I'll probably leave around 1:00 to do some errands before my appt.

Nice day for being out and about.  Hope everyone gets to enjoy it.

~kar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm no surprised that you have some aches and pains that didn't show right away, BG.  Soft tissue injuries take a while to show.  Good you are going to the dr though.  They'll probably send you for chiro or PT.  Keep copies of all your paperwork - scripts, copays, receipts, etc.  Insurance co will want to see them.  OK, off my legal soapbox.  

GL at your mammo today, Kar.  We'll be thinking of you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Time is crawling by, but at least I know I won't have to wait for the results like you do for regular ones.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. bg, sorry you are having some pain.  I too have been rear ended and it usually takes a couple of days to feel the pain.  tt, your pork sounds wonderful.  I made the kilbasa last Saturday and again it was a big hit.  My DH and BF asked if I could make it with hotdogs....you think that would work?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, chuckled at your interpretation of "air traffic"!  but, we already have the geese flying overhead daily, since they go from one pond to another, and seem to go from one school playground/park (ugh!) to another also!  Had one swoop down and land in my little little pond once!  Scared the bejeezes out of my cats.

Good luck with your mammogram.  It's not that bad, nothing you can't tolerate, and the tighter they squeeze, the better picture they're getting of tissue.  Think of it in that light.  Will hold you in my thoughts.

ETA:  Saw your post, Winter, when mine came up.  Sure, I think it was Amber who said she first made it on top of the stove with hot dogs.  I don't think I'd put hot dogs in the crockpot, I think they would fall apart, but in the oven where you could keep an eye on it and not have to watch it didn't catch on as on top of the stove, I think would taste great.  Check in with Amber about the timing of doing them on top of the stove.

ETA2:  Another thought.  I know I find if I let the kielbasa stay too long in the liquid, it tends to toughen.  I would think with the hotdogs there would be double that risk (referring to crockpot method).