August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2011

Pingo, I did run up to S&S this afternoon to use the 3 double $1 coupons that were in their flyer.  Had $1 coupons for litter, kibble, and Cascade and used the double coupons to full advantage.  I was a good girl too and just got those 3 things.  The only requirement was you had to have spent $15 even after double coupons were deducted.  For once the system worked to my advantage.

Meds are great, but they do do damage to other organs.  I'm sure your doctor is keeping a close check on your kidneys.  Glad you are having some relief from the hip pain.  Spoke with a lady today who had hip surgery about 8 months ago.  She said she doesn't have a bit of pain now.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, good for you to get use of your coupons. My GF had hip replacement 9 months ago. She is totally pain free since then. I am so happy for her. She suffered so much. But my problem is not my hip, even though that is where the pain is (going down my legs). - It is my spine, that has deteriorated due to arthritis. And the nerves around it are calling me. Big time!
    Pain-killers take care of it right now, but I am hopeful, that PT will take care of it more permanently, like it did with my Bursitis. I am joining Buster and Gracie, even though I am quite a bit older, we all have the same problem - limping.
    Have a nice evening all - whatever is left - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry to hear about all the pains on the boards today.  Wish I could do something to help!  It's my namesake, after all. :)

DH called to say he got to the hotel OK and had 5 minutes before he had to meet collegues for dinner.  

A month or so ago I got a drop of acetone on the coffee table while doing my nails, and it ate through the finish and bleached the spot.  I've been trying one thing after another to fix it before he notices - it was his grandparent's table.  All I've done so far is make it worse, but tonight I'm trying Minwax's stain markers with some success.  Does anyone know how long to leave it on before wiping, or do you just let it dry?  Every time I wipe it off, it hasn't done a good enough job, but I'm afraid if I leave it on too long the edges will get too defined and the wood too dark.  Argh, I'm pretty sure I'll have to fess up.

Gracie is sitting down at the edge of the front yard pining for Daddy.  Very sad.

I hope the pains don't keep you guys up tonight.

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Google Minwax Stain Marker - Click on the first one - there's a video there - shows dabbing it on and then gently patting it off.  Might be more than the one I looked at - good luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt.  I hadn't noticed that page had a video tab.  Very helpful.  We'll see how it looks in the morning, but patting it off helped.  I was smearing, instead.  I know it's not going to be perfect whatever I do, but at least it won't be AS bad.  It looks great, actually, from some angles...ghastly from others.  I am totally afraid to "dab on polyurathane" to fill in the finish as the guy in the video said to do.  It's definitely better...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Nice to be back and catch up on posts.  Always wish the best for CC folks and their loved ones with health issues  - pets, too.  My best wishes to Buster and Gracie.  Our pets become part of our families.  Nice to see that winter and november got away on vacation, too.  Loved the shots of Bar Harbor.  Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a pool and then I think of the work.  I'd have to cut down my pine to squeeze one in and I'm not about to do that.  I'd rather leave it there and antagonize my neighbor on the other side.  When I got back from Maine, I found a bag on my deck, half full of pinecones that fell off my tree onto her driveway.  She put them in the bag and left them for me with a note!  Must have been a windy storm while I was gone because when the guys come to cut my grass every week, I pay them $20 extra to sweep her driveway and pick up anything that has fallen. She's always been a piece of work and we will never be friends.  She's like that with the people on the other side of her, too.

Spent a wonderful week with the family.  Everything went off without a hitch. Luckily, my dear SIL looked at the forecast before we left and saw that it would be hot.  Knowing there is no air-conditioning in these cottages, he brought an a/c unit in his trunk in case my father needed it, and we really needed it for two nights. Bless him.  I've never felt so hot in Maine.  It was almost 100 degrees and no breeze, even by the water.  Very unusual.  It was just great to kick back and spend time together.  Played marathon rounds of scrabble and milles borne.  Ate like pigs, swam and sailed.  My father did very well, but was ready to go home after a week.  I did something stupid and I'm paying the price.  We were anchored in what I thought was deep enough water and the kids were jumping in.  I jumped in (no business doing that at my age) and got my left foot caught between two rocks on the bottom.  So stupid of me.  My right hip is off kilter now, too.  The cuts on my foot have healed but the pain has not gone away in my arch and across the top of my foot.  Like you, tt, I am taping it.   Have an appointment with an orthopedic man tomorrow.  

After my son and family departed (boo hoo) my daughter and family took my father home and I stayed with my brother and SIL for a week.  My SIL's parents were there, too.  It cooled off and we poked around shops and ate out quite a bit.  Went to a couple of concerts.  Much more manageable with just a few of us.  Ended my vacation with a four day trip to Damariscotta to meet my nephew's (husband's side) future wife and spend time with my late husband's brother and wife.  We lobbied hard to get them to come when my family was all together but it just didn't work.  Anyway, I will be attending a wedding in New Orleans in October.  My DD and granddaughters told me I needed to spice up my wardrobe a bit (just loved hearing that from a 10 year old) and shop for new clothes.  In earlier years, I was always worried about buying clothes for my husband and the kids.  Without realizing it, I always left myself for last and I'm still that way to a degree.  So, this past weekend, I took myself to Nordstroms at the Burlington Mall and bought three new dresses and a pair of Jimmy Choos (low heel that I can handle)  and handbag.  I'm not showing it to anybody before the wedding.  I can't wait to see the look on their faces. Definitely changing my hairstyle, too.  The other two dresses will be for Thanksgiving and holiday parties.  After losing weight, I actually like the way they look on me.  Now I need jewelry! It felt good to shake things up a bit.

I read the posts about not printing certain pictures and anonymity, etc...   Before my son got security clearance for his job, I was interviewed in my home by these goons in dark suits.  They asked me a lot of questions about my son and my own personal habits.  At that time, I used to refer to my cats by their names and post pictures of them on CC.  I'm sure most people have an accurate idea where I live.  The point is, they asked me not to talk about my son or give away any details I might view as minute.  Inside pictures are verboten as there might be a picture of somebody in the background. When my son found out I posted here I was going to Egypt he was upset and asked me to stop posting.  Oh well, that didn't happen. I told him (with a note of sarcasm) the only recent photo I posted was of my Thanksgiving turkey and he laughed. I understand that there are weirdos about, but you have to be sensible about it, too!  

Pouring rain here.  My deck will be a shambles in the morning.  The warm milk is kicking in so I'm off to bed.  Take care everybody.

mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, tt.  I hadn't noticed that page had a video tab.  Very helpful.  We'll see how it looks in the morning, but patting it off helped.  I was smearing, instead.  I know it's not going to be perfect whatever I do, but at least it won't be AS bad.  It looks great, actually, from some angles...ghastly from others.  I am totally afraid to "dab on polyurathane" to fill in the finish as the guy in the video said to do.  It's definitely better ...
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

kar - Don't sweat it.  If the pen doesn't fix it, a professional furniture repair person can certainly fix it.  Some will even come to the house. Many are miracle workers and just fix the affected area without having to do the whole table. One time, a guest left a small cooler on my Honduras mahogany coffee table.  It took the finish right off and left a nice white square. I found a guy who fixed the affected area only and you'd never know. 

mothermitzi

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

MM- So nice to hear from you.  Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation.  Thats so wonderful you got to spend so much time with family.  I'm sorry about your foot/hip - hope you are feeling better now.  It's nice to have to back, we missed you!

Took Buster to the vet last night.  Although he is not using his leg as much as we thought he should, they said not to be concerned . . yet.  Different dogs (and at different ages) take different amount of time to heal.  We also got bloodwork done to see if we can cut down on the Pheno meds.  Kinda scares me as I am so nervous he will have another seizure, though I don't want to keep him at a dosage he doesn't need.   They do say the seizures are more traumatic to us than him though.

Put in for a week of vacation the end of August.  No plans - just finally get to so much stuff I want to do around the house.  I will be nice.

Going to hang out with my BFF after work today - her DH is out of town and she's lonely, so we will have a nice "girls night" at her house - with her 3 Boston Terreirs!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nice to see the nice newsy post from you, mm.  Pretty thoughtful guy, your SIL, to bring an A/C.  I laughed at your tale of being told by the young ones that you needed to spice up your wardrobe!  Leave it to the kids to tell it like it is.  Best part is that you actually took it to heart and did something about it.  They'll all be so pleased, and surprised.  Sorry to hear about your foot/back.  It only takes a second to do something we think afterwards, "Why in the world did I do that?  I knew better."  Hopefully with some PT your hip will slip back where it's supposed to be, just be conscious of it from now on, because once you have an injury like that it seems all the easier for it to happen again.  Hopefully the orthopedic will find it's just a matter of time and perhaps continued taping for a while, for your foot to heal.

Princess, hope Buster's bloodwork numbers come back in the normal range and and that his limping lessens.  Poor animals, if only they could tell us, "It hurts here, when I - - - -".  Is he going along for the visit with your friend tonight?  Maybe not, they might be in a rougher play mode than he can handle right now.

Glad you found the site helpful, Kargiver.  Like you, I'd be a bit hesitant about the poly application, afraid it would make that area stand out like a sore thumb.

Glad I posted my night moonflower picture last night, this morning the heavy rain has them looking pretty droopy.  What a beautiful sight it was to see in person, almost glowing.

Putting off the dreaded trip to the cellar, but it smells pretty damp when I got up, so imagine there is water in there.  We really had torrential rain beating against the windows when I went to bed, and woke up during the night with it coming down even harder.

After thought about your "neighbor" (she certainly doesn't fall into the definition of that word) and her bag of pine cones, mm.  Why not kill her with kindness and make up a little wreath or centerpiece and give it to her?  I'd say, "leave it on her front porch", but that might be akin to starting an all out battle!  Life is so short, maybe she hasn't lived long enough to realize that yet, why do people make so much over little things.  Nature is nature, and I can't see someone being so upset over pine cones or leaves - on second thought I guess I can - the guy next door (the house where all the yelling and screaming at the little boy goes on) asked permission to have the branches from my tree that overhang his property cut down - he thinks that will eliminate the leaf raking for him - surprise! - leaves blow from all the trees around.  Anyway, that worked out well for me because the tree guy at my request, also cut down a couple I had that actually were overhanding my house, charging me $40, and charged him $600 for his work.  Sometimes Karma is working.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, I so enjoyed your post.  Sorry to hear you're added to the benched list having jumped in and gotten hurt.  I bet it's just a tendon/muscle strain, though - they are painful and take a long time to heal, but they do.  GL with the doc, and be sure to give an update.  What a great vaca, otherwise, with dear family.  Congrats on the weight loss and enjoying a well-deserved and fruitful shopping trip.  Have as much fun with the jewelry!  You'll look like a fashion plate at the wedding, and how smart of you to shop now while you can still get summery dresses since it will still be quite warm down there in October.  Re the security clearance, I know how your son feels; it's a burden I share with him, but I'm less careful, quite unwisely.  

Prin-cal, our surgeon said the exact same thing - different dogs heal from TPLO surgery at different rates.  As long as there is continuous, albeit slow, improvement, he'll recover great.  Gracie's TPLO leg is still atrophied from her favoring it so long so she still favors it.  I'm not sure how to remedy that.  As for Buster's meds, I know you don't want him to have another seizure, of course, but like the vet said, it's not damaging to Buster if he does.  Too much of that medication, though, is in the long run.  You're doing the right thing by allowing the vet to experiment with cutting back imo.  We'll be praying he'll stay seizure free with a smaller dose.

We're going to buy a replacement for DH's wedding ring this weekend, tax free.  Gold has gone up so much since 2008 that what cost $300 then (also purchased on tax free weekend, btw) will cost about $700, now.  Oh, well, things happen, and since I lost a diamond earring we replaced, I'm actually almost happy he lost something, too...I know, I'm sick, but it made me sick to have lost that.

mm, I appreciate your encouragement about the table.  Actually, DH could fix it just as well as any professional repair guy.  It's just that I don't want to admit that I carelessly put the bottle of acetone on the table and damaged it, and I was hoping I could fix it myself.  It still looks like cr p this morning, though, so I have to tell.  No big deal, I guess, if he can fix it, right?  I just feel ridiculous for having made that mistake.

Going East today, leaving at 10.  Must pick things up and walk Gracie before then so she can be comfortable in her crate.  Still can't leave her outside alone because of the neighbor's dog, but I suppose she's better off inside, anyway so she can't jump off the walls.  I know that inflames her knee.

Best,
    ~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  mm, sounds like you've been busy. I love that the 10 year old asked you to "spice" up your wardrobe.  It never amazes me what they say.  My son will be 11 next month. 
    Kar, sorry your attempt at fixing the table isn't working.  I'm sure your DH will understand, it's not like it was down on purpose. 
    tt, where did you post the moon flower picture?  I'd like to check it out.
    AFM, we were up until 1am watching the levels of the pool and pumping water out of it.  At one point DH was outside and I was in the basement as we have water coming in around the bulkhead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

hi Winter,

It was such a heavy downpour last night, I'm not surprised at anyone who had water come in.  I did check the cellar and while there is no actual puddle, it is all damp around certain parts of the cinder bricks on the back room.  That's the direction the rain was coming down in tho.  Thank God G.T. had cemented around the base of that drainpipe, I'd have had a pond in there.  I think probably bulkhead leaks are among the easiest to find and correct.  Just a pain when you've just bought a house, I know.

The moonflowers are posted on the gardening thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Found myself saying this morning, "Oh well, I do dee dow" and started laughing.  If you haven't ever seen "Best Friends" with Burt Reynolds and Goldie Hawn, do yourself a favor and rent it, I'm sure it's on DVD.  It's an old movie I saw years ago, but cute, funny, and as you watch it, you'll see where "I do dee dow" comes in, might find yourself saying it from time to time!  Also the scene with Goldie and her mother in the bathroom is hysterical.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

"November, how is Jax doing this evening? There is nothing worse than a sick pet - they can't talk, they can't complain. I forgot to respond to your morning post ---I lurked for a long time before finally joining chat--- . I am happy, you joined us. You are a funny lady, who has a lot to offer."

Thank you, Pingo.  You are very sweet.  I'm glad I joined in, too.  Jax ate a normal dinner last night, went to bed early, and was back to his old self bright and early this morning!  He's taking the day off from "work" though, and is home (probably snoozing away on the couch) instead of at DH's shop.

MM - sounds like you had a wonderful vaca, except for your injury, of course.  Congrats on your weight loss and good for you for treating yourself to some new clothes (and Jimmy Choos!!).  IMO, little kids are great for giving honest feedback.  I often ask my nieces (7 & 8) which shoes to wear with an outfit, or if the accessories go, or whether to tuck in a shirt or leave it out.  Not necessarily becuase they have good fashion sense, although they kinda do, but because they won't hesitate to tell if it looks funny.

Sorry to hear you are getting water, Winter.  Hopefully it is just becuase of the severe downpours and will be able to fix or manage going forward.  I'm sure there is some seepage in our basement - the sump pumps have been firing away.

Too bad about the table, Kar, but I'm sure DH will be understanding if you do have to fess up to it.  Enjoy your lunch out East.

Excellent couponing, tt.  Have you ever wathced the extreme couponing shows where they get like $2,000 in groceries for $4?  Its insane!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Have you ever wathced the extreme couponing shows where they get like $2,000 in groceries for $4?  Its insane"

I've watched a couple of them, but I think for quite of few of them who either don't have large families, or who buy this stuff and then donate it to food pantries, it seems to be just a game, something to occupy their time.  In the cases where the storage of the stuff they buy takes over their homes, that borders on being a sickness, IMO.  To coupon without taking it to extremes, I think is great, and it can be fun too.  I guess I'm from the old school of buying only what you need and can use.  To buy something just because it's on sale and you have a coupon - what's the purpose?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

There is only one I can think of where I saw the person actually buy milk and meat, somehow with the savings created by the coupon - never any produce or things you would need on a day to day basis. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cereal - I saw one where she had so many shelves of cereal - she couldn't have possibly used all of it before the expiration dates.  A lot of the women seemed to be stay at home moms with young kids - I really think they were bored with just toddler talk, and looking for a hobby.  Harmless, I suppose, except when it starts to take over the space in your home.  Like anything (even posting - take heed of your own words, tt!), it can be taken to extremes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all, oh my have you all been busy chatting. So much to catch up to today.
    Great to hear from you, mm. Didn't know you were going for two weeks. Sounds like you had an awesome vacation with family on both sides. So sorry to learn about your mishap. Hope you will heal soon. PTs can do wonders. I had to nod about your "story" about security clearance. Our oldest was working for a company, that wanted to send him to work on the Chandra project by NASA. The "goons in dark suits" came to interview DH and I separately twice. They even went into our parents records (we were foreigners in their eyes, I assume). Some really stupid questions, that had nothing to do with security. But I guess, they are testing you for honesty as well.
    Winter, I am sorry to hear you are having water in your new basement. But that is one of the problems of living on the North Shore. Most homeowners here deal with this. If not, they have pumps pumping the water out. You might want to invest in one. It is worth saving the damage otherwise done to your home.
    Kar, sorry to hear the table is still bothering you. Why not just fess up - and have your DH fix it? Sounds like it is an old table, and you could actually do more damage to it by trying to fix it yourself. The problem here is, that the stuff, they used then was so different from what is available today. Maybe it is just moisture, that went in under the varnish. We had a pizza guy place a hot pizza box on our office front desk - leaving a huge white spot. I googled it, and found I could use a hot iron - with a clean dish towel underneath - to get rid of it. Sure enough, the spot disappeared. My secretary saw me ironing the desk. Her eyes popped out. She thought I had fallen off my rocker.
    Nothing exciting to do today. Just trying to catch up with home and office. Chat later - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Picked this morning - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just recived this e-mail with the caption: "Did you sleep in the wrong bed last night?"
    Thought it was hilarious. Enjoy - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry the dog's head got cut off by BDC - but I think you can see the point - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo that is so funny!  Love your flowers : )

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks so much for that adorable pic, Pingo.  I copied and sent to friends.  When I copied and pasted the dog's head and all showed.

Beautiful flowers.  I love green and blue together - in fact I have that color combination on today!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Nice flowers Pingo and great picture.  We do have a sump pump in the basement, water is coming in from another end of the house.  But at least we know where it is coming from now,which is more then what we knew last week.  So we can fix it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Lunchtime at the feeder:

Sections
Shortcuts