August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: August 2011

Great pic tt!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Wow, tt - action shot!

Love the mixed up puppies picture, Pingo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---When I copied and pasted the dog's head and all showed.---
    Really? That is good to know.
    Great picture of the Cardinal in flight at the bird feeder. Good you have a "generic" feeder to put GT at ease. LOL
    Just an update. We have only had a few turkeys every morning the last couple of weeks. Thought they had gone somewhere else. But this morning they were back - all 31 of them. Sigh!
    - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Maybe you need two pumps - one  in each end of the house. So sorry, you have to deal with that problem. - Pingo
    In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]Nice flowers Pingo and great picture.  We do have a sump pump in the basement, water is coming in from another end of the house.  But at least we know where it is coming from now,which is more then what we knew last week.  So we can fix it.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

But this morning they were back - all 31 of them. Sigh! 

Maybe their food supply other places has dwindled down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Nice action shot tt. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Nice action shot tt. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  Sometimes I can catch it when I want, and sometimes that delayed action flash is just a smidgen too slow.

This is my "other" day (one day going out most of the day, other day home) and I'm lazy as can be.  Emptied out the dishwasher and cleaned out the fridge which resulted in more dirty dishes to refill the dishwasher, but other than that, I'm as useless as Cheerio today - she's slept the day away since breakfast on top of the ironing board.  Just got down when she heard me opening the fridge door - "What are we eating, Ma?  Got any cheese?  I love cheese!"  Tried a bit to work on the poem for the baby shower, but I have to tackle that first thing in the morning, that's when the creative juices are flowing.  I've done a few, so I don't want this to be duplicate in any way of the others.

Hope your cellar has dried out when you get home.  I can see that there is new dampness coming in the back wall, so I do have to do something about getting that taken care of, just not sure what.  Boys haven't asked if I got any water in, so I know that is a sign, "Don't get me involved."  Their reaction would be, you should have sold a long time ago when we told you to.  Still not ready to, I do love it here, and other than something like this that comes along, manage quite well on my own.

Time to have a cuppa, maybe that will give me a jump start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Thanks everybody for the good wishes.  I went to the doc today and had x-rays of my hip and foot.  In the meantime, he told me to use a heating pad on my hip and take ibuprofen for my foot.  Swelling on my foot has gone way down but it still hurts me. Told me he'd call me tonight after he reads the x-rays.

winter, I used to get a small amount of water inside around my bulkhead and finally had to put in a new foundation and door.  However, my house is probably older than yours.  Never had water in the main part of the cellar until March of 2010 when everybody in my neighborhood flooded.  I decided to replace the bulkhead then.  So far, so good.

princess, glad you will have vacation at the end of August.  I know you've been busy with your mother - bless you - and hope you will be able to get away.

november, I chuckled to myself when my GD told me to shake it up.  Although she's only 10, she's a little fashion plate and she and my neighbors' daughter are thick as thieves and always asking my DD to take them shopping.  That gene escaped me I guess.  I will draw the line at dying my hair though.  My hairdresser has been after me for years to dye it and I think I'd look ridiculous if I start now.  However, I'm open to a different style.

pingo, sorry to hear the turkeys are back.  I read about your nice visit with PB son, soon moving to London, right?  A bit of a mess there right now, but should be sorted out by the time he gets there. 

tt, my neighbor is hot and cold with me.  When my husband was ill many years ago, she was wonderful.  When her husband was dying, I helped her with food, errands, etc...  She is considerably older than I.  However, she doesn't speak to her oldest daughter, a son and a sister.  That's a red flag right there. I have been diligent about trimming the tree.  I have an arborist cut it back at least a foot beyond my fence every two years so it's never growing on her side.  However, this tree is very tall and right now it's loaded with cones at the top.  I feel that paying my lawn guy extra to sweep her driveway once a week is a pretty decent goodwill gesture.  Most of the time, there is nothing to sweep.   The guys next door told me that when I was away there was a bad thunderstorm one night and high winds.  I'm pretty sure that's what caused the mess.  I called her on the phone to apologize and left a message, but honestly, I'm tired of her antics. 

kar, I'm not one for jewelry.  I have a few favorite and sentimental pieces.  I'm going to get "something" for the wedding though.  I decided everything I wear will be new.  Funny, when my DD was staying with me, I brought down a box of costume jewelry that belonged to my grandmother and my mother.  My DD and the girls went crazy over it.  I was astonished.  I didn't really think anybody would want it, but I was wrong.

Took a long walk at lunchtime over by the Fens and Fenway Park.  A lot of tourists there, even on a day with no game scheduled.

mothermitzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What great photos, Pingo and tt!  Laughed at the "wrong bed" one (BDC always shifts photos to the right that look like they'll post OK before you actually add it), and how on earth did you snap that in-flight photo, tt?  That's a professional shot!

Winter, sorry about your water problem, but at least you have it figured out.  Water can be so tricky and frustrating.

Pingo, that's terrible 31 turkeys were back.  That's a huge flock.  We have turkeys out here that wander in the farmer's fields down the road, but we usually don't see more than 10 at a time.

Gracie and I had an encounter this morning when I was walking her before my trip.  We were on the road, and a huge, black BULL I'd never seen before lifted his head up from behind a low rock wall about 10 feet from us and made a loud, uh, roar (for lack of a better word).  I gasped and Gracie barked, growled, and raised her hackles.  I noticed a collar and chain on the animal, but wasn't too confident in his being 100% contained by that.  I got a hold of myself and we kept walking.  I managed to calm Gracie down and when we returned she didn't bark once as I was singing the happy "Let's Go Home Past the Big Scary Bull" song that I made up just for the occassion. 

I dabbed on more stain this morning, and the table only looks really bad in certain lights and from certain angles.  But, regardless, I'm leaving it as-is at this point and fessing up when he gets home or at least when he notices it.  ;)

Had a fab lunch East with a great friend.  Lucky me, another one is planned for tomorrow.  Yay!

ETA:  mm, we were writing at the same time so I didn't see your post until I posted.  I'm the same way about jewelry.  I have very few pieces, they are very sentimental to me, and I wear them every day.  There are a few more in the box, but they hardly see the sun.  However, I bet you'll enjoy your outting and whatever you find to complement your new clothes even if it's not usually your thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Big Bull...Kar, that is scary.  You are a braver woman than I as I would have turned around and went home.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I'd seen the bull earlier I'd have turned around immediately (I'm not that brave!), but I figured it was too late for it to make a difference since we all discovered each other when we were merely feet away from each other.   Next time, we'll be walking in the other direction.  It's too bad, though, because the other direction has hills that are not the better choice for my hips or Gracie's knee.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Gracie and I had an encounter this morning when I was walking her before my trip.  We were on the road, and a huge, black BULL I'd never seen before lifted his head up from behind a low rock wall about 10 feet from us and made a loud, uh, roar (for lack of a better word).  I gasped and Gracie barked, growled, and raised her hackles.  I noticed a collar and chain on the animal, but wasn't too confident in his being 100% contained by that.  I got a hold of myself and we kept walking.  I managed to calm Gracie down and when we returned she didn't bark once as I was singing the happy "Let's Go Home Past the Big Scary Bull" song that I made up just for the occassion.

I'm sorry, Kar, but this whole scene played out in my head in cartoon.  Complete with all parties' eyes bugging out at the sight of one another.  Seriously though, I'm glad you and Gracie, and the bull for that matter, are safe.  Is the bull new to the neighborhood?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It played out like a cartoon with everyone's eyes bugged out of their heads for me, too!  The bull, apparently, is the source of the Jurasic Park-like noise I've been hearing for the last month or so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, Kargiver.  That would be my last walk past that particular meadow.  I'm wondering who the brave soul was that got a collar on him - and how!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG Kar! TG the bull was on a chain - but I would have had reservations as well. You are certainly one brave woman. Glad you have decided to walk in another direction in the future. I comment you for being able to calm Gracie down. Even the song, "Let's Go Home Past the Big Scary Bull" - would not have made me pass by there again. I would have found another way home.
    Curious. Does he possibly belong to the farmer, from where you buy your grass fed meat? - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I'm with you tt!  Funny, I went to the closeout sale at Borders last night and picked up a copy of 'Ferdinand' for my three year old great-nephew!  Love that story.

mothermitzi   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Does he possibly belong to the farmer, from where you buy your grass fed meat? - 

Yeah, if he does, order a lot of steaks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Funny, I went to the closeout sale at Borders last night and picked up a copy of 'Ferdinand' for my three year old great-nephew

You and I must have unconsciously brought about Kargiver's encounter with the bull today - This morning, I was looking through old children's books I keep in a basket for visiting kids, and picked up my copy of Ferdinand and was looking at it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There was no other way home, unfortunately.  Well, technically, there was, but it would have been miles of difficult, hilly walking that would have been more likely to give me a heart attack than the bull.  He doesn't belong to the farmer where we get our meat - I have no idea why our neighbors have him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Funny, I went to the closeout sale at Borders last night and picked up a copy of 'Ferdinand' for my three year old great-nephew You and I must have unconsciously brought about Kargiver's encounter with the bull today - This morning, I was looking through old children's books I keep in a basket for visiting kids, and picked up my copy of Ferdinand and was looking at it!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

tt -

Maybe we should resurrect the coincidence thread!

mothermitzi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks a lot, ladies!  Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Update on my friend who had back surgery Monday -

I called a few minutes ago and spoke with her brother.  Her surgery Monday lasted 8 hours.  She was in Recovery all day yesterday.  When he went up to see her today they had her sitting up in a chair, then got her standing up to her walker, then walking a few steps, and then they put her back into bed.  During the operation they also found a cyst that had been hiding, and the doctor felt might have been a good part of her trouble this time.  I asked him to let her know a lot of prayers were being said for her, and told him I would call again over the week-end or the first of the week to find out how she was doing and where she was.

Thanks to all of you who remembered her in your prayers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the update, tt, and for letting her know she's in our thoughts and prayers.  Sounds like things are going as well as can be expected this early.  And, that's interesting about the cyst.  I wonder if it was pressing on nerves.  Hugs (gentle ones, anyway) to your friend.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the update, tt. I am hoping for your friend, it was the cyst, that gave her the troubles. If it was, she can hopefully regain a life w/o pain, now that it is removed. I am surprised it didn't show on the X-rays or MRIs, which I am sure she must have had plenty of. Good thoughts and prayers are on their way. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  tt, glad your friend is doing as well as can be expected.  kar, I'm glad you now know what the sound you have been hearing is.  Though I'm not sure why your neighbors would want a bull.