August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: August 2011

Glad to hear your friend was up and about a bit, tt.  I'll continue to send thoughts adn prayers her way. 

Kar, did you have a chance to talk to DH last night and tell him about your new neighbor?

Am I correct to guess that Ferdinand is a story about a bull?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Haven't had a chance to tell DH about the addition to the neighborhood, but he'll be home tonight.  I had to look it up, but, yup, Ferdinand is about a bull.

I think I'll take Gracie to the backyard to do her business before I go out today.  No desire to walk in the other direction - it's very hilly and a serious workout.  Not always a bad idea, but not right before I get in the car.

Making a zucchini bread and cooking the rest of the squash on the stove right now.  Finishing up all the laundry, and I plan to clean the bathrooms and do the floors (vac and steam) this afternoon.  DH asked me to make his special cucumber soda for his arrival, and I juiced the cukes, lemon, and mint for that just now.  Will get the kitchen all put together before I go so I don't have to go nuts cleaning when I get home.  

Any big plans for tax free weekend?  We're replacing DH's wedding band he lost a few months ago.  We've been holding out hope to find it, but looks like it's gone the way of my earring.  The sad thing is that we spent $300 on it in 2008 and it will cost about $700 to replace it now because of the sharp increase in the price of gold.  Oh, well.  What can you do, live forever without a wedding ring?  Maybe if he never wore it anyway we could, but we both miss it.

25 minutes 'til the bread comes out...  I hope it's good.  I reduced the sugar by 2/3 (and added stevia to make up for it) and the oil by half (replacing the other half with apple sauce).  And, of course, it's spelt instead of all purpose flour.  So, we'll see!  Other than my changes, it's a Paula Deen.

Oh, speaking of Paula, she was just this second introduced as a guest on Rachel Ray.  Weird.

Have a good day, folks - looks like it's going to be a beauty!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Happy to hear your friend is doing better and recovering.  I pray the cyst was a big part of the problem.  It must have been hidden if it was discovered during surgery.  I will keep her in my prayers still.  Kar, you are brave indeed!  My aunt had a bull and I remember as a kid we were scared to death of it!  My fathers friend use to jump over the fence and wave things at it and then jump back over when it would run at him.  So funny I remember that clearly.  Never thought why does she have a bull?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning all,

Was up at 5:30 this morning.  Pretty baby was already out under the shrub waiting to talk, and Cheerio was wanting her breakfast.  By 8:30 or so I was tired again. Crawled back in bed for a little catch up.  Looks like a gorgeous day, but unfotunately I have a dr.'s appt scheduled right in the middle of the afternoon, so that sort of put a kibosh on any plans I might have made.  So, I'll have a lazy morning, lounging around.  Not much chance of anyone just dropping in to catch me.

Mothermitzi, what did you x-rays show?  Hope the doctor got back to you last night.

Thanks for continuing to hold my friend in your thoughts.  She's in the best of places for back surgery, N.E. Baptist Hospital, so I'm sure she's being well taken care of.  There is already hardware in there from previous surgery, and I'm guessing the cyst was probably hiding behind some of that.  Doesn't matter, the important thing is that they feel removing that will have a positive outcome on giving her some relief.  

Sounds as tho while I was snoozing this morning, you got a lot done, Kargiver.  I have a zucchini bread recipe that supposedly was Joanne Newmann's.  Forgot all about it until you mentioned yours this morning.  I should pick some up next week and make it.  I think I have a notation about how good it is written in the corner.

Yes, unlike the bull you encountered yesterday, Kargiver, Ferdinand was a young bull who liked to sit under the tree and smell the flowers.  Even when the men came and chose him to go to the bullring and fight the matadors, he just sat in the middle of the ring and just smelled all the flowers he could see in the ladies hair.  The happy ending is that they had to send him back home - "where for all I know, he still is, sitting under the cork tree, smelling the flowers.  And he is very happy."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Not a bad day to have a lazy morning, tt.  I imagine the house is comfortable temperature-wise.  Baptist is the best - your friend is in good hands.

Too bad about DH's ring, Kar.  Both that it is lost and that it will cost more than double to replace.  You're smart to replace it this weekend and save the tax.  Maybe you can pick up some new diamond earrings, too, to replace your lost one?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    What a nice cool morning. Don't you just love mornings like this?
    tt, I have mornings like the one you had this morning. Being up most of the night, going back for a few Zzzzs do me good. It took me awhile to have Mr. Pingo understand, but now he knows and let me sleep. No point of having a cranky wife all day. LOL
    Kar, I posted a couple of recipes for you on the Recipe thread under Mu Shu. Hope you will enjoy them. Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you. Having company this Saturday (veggies) and will do your cucumber drink for them. Will go well with my Greek theme. Hummus with pita chips and falafel with tzakiki dip as apps, baked eggplant casserole, roasted Greek potatoes, stuffed peppers and tzasiki. The peppers I will stuff with a combination of chopped olives instead of the meat and make my own dough.
    Off to work. Chat later - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Thanks for asking.  One of the metatarsal bones is broken.  That would explain the pain.  And I've been walking on it for two weeks now!  Hip is just bruised and will take care of itself with a heating pad.  I'm going in this afternoon and they'll wrap my foot with some kind of tape that is waterproof and should stay on for two weeks.  No cast, thank goodness. Not bad considering what your friend is going through at NE Baptist. Yes, that is an excellent hospital for back issues - anything orthopedic really.

I love the cool nights, too.  Warm days & cool nights = perfection.  I have friends visiting from Florida who think it's too cool!  They sent me emails starting in May complaining about the heat and now they're in this glorious weather and still complaining!  

I'm going to take advantge of the tax free weekend and buy a new tv.

Have a great day everybody.

mothermitzi

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry to hear there is indeed a break, Mothermitzi.  tThat waterproof tape is great, that's what my podiatrist used.  I had her wrap it twice, leaving it on a week each time, but still have pain.  Don't be surprised if it takes a little longer than the 2 weeks they are saying.  Showering and everything doesn't bother the tape and it seems to dry by toweling, if not you can use a hair dryer. I tried to find something like that in the stores, but ended up with a wrap that sticks to itself.  Have to take it off to shower, of course, and it really only can be used once again with any sticking power.  Funny, I had wrapped it yesterday and left it on when I went to bed.  I can't find it this morning!  Thought for sure it was caught in the bottom of the bedclothes, but now am wondering if it fell off when I got up during the night and Cheerio dragged it somewhere!  Just got out of the shower, and will hunt around - not necessarily to use it again, but just to satisfy my curiosity that a wrap thief did not sneak in during the night and unwrap my foot without me knowing it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry tt, but I couldn't help chuckling at your "wrapping story". This was too funny. Would definitely be a fun game for Cheerio to unwrap your foot. I am sure she must be the mischievous wrap thief dragging it away. You will probably find it in some very odd place. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: August 2011 : Sorry to bud in,  but do you know if that cat has an owner in the neighborhood?  Because if she's a stray you may want to take her to a local shelter by fall as winter can be quite difficult.   Also if she belongs to someone they may not want you to feed her.  It may be best to confirm one way or another,  only trying to help.   PS: You know what they say,  once you feed a cat you own it.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

Appreciate your interest, but we do have "cat lady" on our street who feeds and shelters a few cats in her breezeway.  This particular cat has been around for a couple of years, likes to spend part of her/his day hiding under a shrub watching for chipmunks.  

BTW, Cheerio who I speak of giving breakfast, is my own indoor cat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry tt, but I couldn't help chuckling at your "wrapping story". This was too funny. Would definitely be a fun game for Cheerio to unwrap your foot. I am sure she must be the mischievous wrap thief dragging it away. You will probably find it in some very odd place. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Now you know, Pingo, Cheerio was not the first "wrap thief" I thought of - - -

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Who would be another one?  You have ghosts in your house? - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: August 2011 : Now you know, Pingo, Cheerio was not the first "wrap thief" I thought of - - -
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio is so used to me coming and lifting her off the ironing board just as she gets settled, that this afternoon when I went in to pat her, she put her paw over the edge and dug in -

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

So cute tt!!!  Love this pic, can see her gorgeous face so clearly!  Now must make sure the boys don't see it.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, sometimes I look at her and think, "she is a beauty".

ETA:  She's asking, "Are there any posts for me?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that is such a cute picture. When Amber said, "Now must make sure the boys don't see it.........", I at first thought she was talking about YOUR boys after the discussion,we had in regard to internet lurkers. Then I realized, of course it must be Boo and Tiger. LOL
    Healthy plant you have there. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That's funny Pingo : )  I should call them by name so I don't confuse everyone!

tt, after Tiggers Boudoir shot, I have not let them near a computer. They were also fighting amongst themselves over who is more handsome and worthy for Cheerio and good Lord, when the doorbell rang, they would run to the door to see if it was her visiting! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, sorry you broke your foot, but at least the healing process isn't too inconvenient.  Hope it doesn't take long.  You've got 2 weeks of healing behind you already. :)

Very cute of Cheerio to dig in, and how did you manage to capture the moment in time?!  Nice job!

Time is counting down 'til DH's return home.  Still have a long list of things I want to have done before his arrival, but I still wish he could snap his fingers and be home right now. :)

The zucchini bread is delish!  If you go to Food Network and type in "zucchini bread" in recipes, the first one to come up is Paula Deen's - over 200 reviews and it gets 5 well-deserved stars.  If you want to lighten it up like I did, you can sub 1/2 the oil with apple sauce, and 2 cups of sugar with 2 droppers of stevia extract, and 4 large eggs with 1 XL egg and 3 XL egg whites.  And, if it's this good with these changes, I can't even imagine how yummy it is as-is.

Gotta get back to work...

~kar

ETA:  Just saw your post about Ferdinand, tt - very cute story.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kargiver, I don't remember if I ever posted my no eggs carrot cake, but if you want to avoid eggs all together, you can mix 1 Tbs. ground up flax seeds with 3 Tbs. warm water per egg, let it sit for about 10 minutes and use as you would use eggs in your recipe. It turns out jelly-like like egg whites. I have used this on several occasions, when I had to due to restrictions.  No one knew the difference. Not even seasoned bakers - Pingo

[QUOTE]mm, sorry you broke your foot, but at least the healing process isn't too inconvenient.  Hope it doesn't take long.  You've got 2 weeks of healing behind you already. :) Very cute of Cheerio to dig in, and how did you manage to capture the moment in time?!  Nice job! Time is counting down 'til DH's return home.  Still have a long list of things I want to have done before his arrival, but I still wish he could snap his fingers and be home right now. :) The zucchini bread is delish!  If you go to Food Network and type in "zucchini bread" in recipes, the first one to come up is Paula Deen's - over 200 reviews and it gets 5 well-deserved stars.  If you want to lighten it up like I did, you can sub 1/2 the oil with apple sauce, and 2 cups of sugar with 2 droppers of stevia extract, and 4 large eggs with 1 XL egg and 3 XL egg whites.  And, if it's this good with these changes, I can't even imagine how yummy it is as-is. Gotta get back to work... ~kar ETA:  Just saw your post about Ferdinand, tt - very cute story.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you're a dear, and that's a VERY interesting substition that I never would have thought of.  That's very good to know in case we entertain people who do have an egg restriction.  I remove the yolks just to cut down on calories, though.  By cutting those 3 yolks in the zucc bread, I cut about 200 calories from the recipe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Funny story tt.  My foot is wrapped very tightly and I have to wear a special insert covered in lambs wool.  At first, my foot ached even more for an hour or two.  Now it seems to be ok.  I just took a couple aspirin.  My cats would be hard pressed to get this wrap off my foot!  I think I'd know about it, even in my foggy state!

Love the picture of Cheerio on the ironing board.  Tabbies are the sweetest cats.  I love mine so.  They have a visiter these days.  A tiger cat from across the street wanders over and parks himself on the bench on my deck.  I always know when he's around because my male cat makes a weird noise in his throat. The female just sits there.  I've let them sniff each other through the screened door and there's been no hissing or lunging.  Mostly curiosity. Eventually, he goes away.

I'm going to the Berkshires this weekend to Jacob's Pillow and Tanglewood.  Staying overnight in Stockbridge.  I'll be hobbling along, but I really want to go.  It will be me, DD and my SIL's mother.  SIL will take care of the girls.  I told them they may have to carry me around like Cleopatra.  Wouldn't that be a sight!

pingo, the dishes you have planned for your weekend company sound yummy. Love the idea of a cucumber drink.  When I was at the Maine coast I had a martini made with cucumber infused vodka and it was good.  Take care everybody.

mothermitzi  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Brrr - bet your Florida friends are freezing this morning, mm.  My house felt like an early Fall morning.  It's going to be a hot oatmeal breakfast for me.  Of course it was another 5:30 a.m. get up for me - got to break this cycle I'm in.

Glad you're going to be able to still keep your plans this week-end, mm.  I can understand why your foot hurt so at first, they were taping it back in place.  Take plenty of ibuprofen.  Did the doctor tell you to stay off of it at all or not to overdo?  Use common sense with your kalooping this week-end.

My doctor's visit yesterday was a pleasant surprise.  Numbers are all down and he was pleased as punch - in fact, he said, "I don't know who your doctor is, but he's brilliant!"  I said, "Yeah, he's told me that a few times!"

Stopped by son's and Reese's whole little body wiggled all over the place, with those little front paws begging, until I picked her up.  She is so darn cute.  Never think to bring my camera along for a new shot, Amber.  First thing out of GD's mouth was, "when can we make cookies, Nana?".  We have an early morning date set up for Sunday.  I'll have to get a batch of choc chip ones made for her brother before then.  His sister's colored sugar dowsed ones are not for him!  I thought of you,Winter, because my son was sitting outside, with a pool full of my GD's friends.  What enjoyment that pool has given the whole family.  I was so apprehensive when they first put it in, the kids were younger, and there are so many tragedies that happen in a flash.  But, the kids took swimming lessons that very first year, and now are like fish in water.  Never in it without one of the parents out there tho.

Got to check for Pretty Baby and see if she's waiting for our "talk" this morning, then it's oatmeal cooking on the stove for me.  Have a good week-end if we don't chat again before you go, mm.  Pretty soon the others will be on and the boards will wake up with chatter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  A bit chilly this morning, though it feels nice.  Got Buster's blood work back yesterday.  Good news is the meds aren't effecting his liver.  However, it looks like he my have a slight infection in his 1 remaining kidney.  Argh.  We have him on antibiotics too so hopefully that will take care of that.  Took him for a nice walk this morning and he seemed to be fine.  Spencer of course is always full of vigor and such a happy 'lil guy.

Usual plans for the weekend - taking Mom out on Sat and then getting things done around the house.

Have fun in the Berkshires mm - try not to over do it on that foot!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

This is why she doesn't want to be moved off the ironing board - she knows the sun is coming - you can see her little thumb claw dug in there)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning everyone,

I am happy to hear everyone is healing nicely.  tt, you take the cutest pictures of Cheerio.  DD will be over Sunday, must have her take some new pictures of Amber and the boys.  I am so happy to hear the weather should not be so bad on Sunday.  I am having a brunch that my daughter has turned into a birthday party (oh boy) and I really would rather eat on the patio.  Today they are saying evening rain and the worse coming in the middle of the night and all day Monday.  So hopefully that will be the case.  Should be a fun day as I love entertaining and grilling. I have lots of food I am preparing as this will be an all afternoon into evening event.  I am off Monday and will need it as I'm sure I will be tired.  DD and I will be doing lots of running around tomorrow.  Christmas Tree Shop, Home Depot to fill grill tank, Target and Stop & Shop.  Then of course I have to clean and will prep food for Sunday.  But nice to have a long weekend to look forward to and I am taking the following Monday off too to give myself 2  - 4 day work weeks.  August is flying by!