August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: August 2011

Thanks tt and princess.  At first, he told me to stay off the foot this weekend. I told him I was going away anyway and he revised his statement and said "Well, stay off and elevate as much as possible."  I liked the revised statement better!
    Besides, it's not like we're going hiking.  I will be careful.

I'm loving this weather.  Oatmeal for me today, too.  Have a great weekend everybody.  

mothermitzi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Is the birthday party your birthday, Amber?  Happy birthday, if it is.  Yeah, now they're saying Sunday will be sunny, hot and humid, good for patio grilling.  Give me a list of the goodies you're making as you decide, so I can live vicariously through you.  I myself, don't grill, but love grilled food.

I overdo with the pics of Cheerio, I know, but she's the only one around here I have to photograph!  Looking forward to some new pics of the boys (I'll post them where Cheerio can see them), and of course Amber.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, I can just imagine you on your Cleopatra throne with your foot up being carried, LOL!  

tt, congrats on the great numbers at the doc's.  Do you eat fewer treats than you let on? ;)

Princess, that's great news Buster is tolerating the medicine well, but a shame about the kidney infection.  That little guy is having a hard time.  Thankfully, he has great pet parents who love and take care of him so well.  I gave Gracie these probiotics after she was on antibiotics a month post-surgery.  This one has the most strains of different bacteria I could find.  Total-biotics  I gave her about 1/2 of the canister and am saving the other half in the freezer for another time.  It restores immunity, digestive balance, yeast balance (ears), etc. so it can stop the cycle of infections.

DH loves the zucchini bread, and had it and the cuke soda for "dinner" last night at midnight when he got home.  We got about 6 1/2 hours of sleep last night so I'll probably take a nap later; too bad for DH he's already off to work so no nap for him.

I think my local friend will be coming over today for help with a doily she keeps ripping out and repeating the same unknown mistake in.  I've made it at least 10 times so I know the directions are OK.  She's so frustrated she could snap the hook!

Yup, it's a fallish morning - dry, crisp, cool, sunny.  Lovely.  I hate to think about what's coming (and I've seen a few trees who are giving up their green already), but I do enjoy these dry, sunny, warm days.  It was only 55 here when we got up...

Good day, all,
    ~kar

ETA:  We all were posting at the same time so just saw the adorable photo of Cheerio.  And, keep them coming, tt!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Yes it is my birthday next week.  This was suppose to be a brunch with a few friends but my DD highjacked it.  I don't like attention on me, I am more a giver than a receiver but she said I haven't had a birthday party and she is giving me one.  So my afternoon brunch is extended into the evening too.  I am rolling with it, not much i can do about it, but it will be fun.  : )  Here is what I am planning on cooking:

Apps before brunch:
    Celery, Carrots, brocolli with ranch dressing dip
    Brie and Crackers
    Stuffed mushrooms

Brunch:
    Grilled Rib Eye steak
    Corn on the cob
    Grilled asparagus
    Garlic roasted potatoes
    Caesar Salad (I am having anchovies on mine, love them!)

Evening apps:
    Grilled chicken wings
    Asparagus wrapped in cream cheese and prosciutto (baked)
    Cheese - Block of Cheddar and Monterey Jack w/Jalepeno (cut in cubes) with crackers
    Fruit tray
    I have been told by a couple of DD friends that I must save some stuffed mushrooms for them as they are coming later, so will make a special batch for them and cook when they come. 

ETA:  I agree with Kar tt, keep the pics coming.  I love them!

ETA:  Forgot to add I have ice cream cones for later too : )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  What beautiful pictures of Cheerio tt.  She is a beauty.  We are hosting a friend's birthday tomorrow by the pool, so hopefully its nicer then today.  My son is not allowed in the pool without one of us with him.  He's been very good with sticking to that rule. I'm making your kilebasa today.  The birthday girl requested that I make it again.
    mm, sorry about your foot and hope you have a great weekend.  PC, poor Buster.  He's having a tough time of it, but you are giving him such love and care.  Kar, glad DH is home and that's horrible that he had to go into work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber, what time is this and what can I bring???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That sounds sooo good.  Thoughtful dau you have to want to have people over to celebrate your birthday.  I think having a home get together is so much more fun and relaxed.  Tell me what you stuff your mushrooms with.  I love them, but have only actually made them once, I think, and they were nothing to rave about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]Amber, what time is this and what can I bring???
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Actually, Winter, a pool/grill party sounds even better, don't you think?  How would you feel about hosting Amber's party at your place?

ETA:  and now that we all know about it, I think it only right we all be invited!

ETA:  Forgot to add I have ice cream cones for later too : )

You cinched the deal for me with that one!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter it starts at 1:00 and ends????  LOL!  You are invited anytime!!

tt, I like mine with sausages.  Here is my recipe.  Easy to copy and paste as I made a cookbook of my recipes for DD and it is on my computer.  She loved it when I gave it to her.

2 containers of stuffing mushrooms (about 15 or 20)
    2 sweet Italian sausages
    2 Hot sausages
    1 small green pepper, diced very small
    1 small onion, diced very small
    1 stalk celery, diced very small
    2 teaspoons Emeril Essence
    ½  cup grated parmesan cheese
    ½ cup Plain bread crumbs
    1 egg lightly beaten
    Wash and stem the mushrooms using a small spoon.  Keep some of the stems
    Using your hands, lightly rub each mushroom with olive oil
    Cook the sausage in a medium skillet until browned.  Add the onion, pepper, celery and mushroom stems and cook until softened.  Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.Transfer sausage-vegetable mix to a large bowl.  Add ¼ cup of the bread crumbs, ¼ cup of parmesan, the Essence and 2 teaspoons of olive oil.  Mix really well.  Add the egg and mix until l combined.Put filling in mushroom caps and place the filled mushrooms on baking sheet.  Combine remaining ¼ cup bread crumbs and ¼ cup parmesan in small mixing bowl.  Put crumb mixture on top of mushroom caps. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 18 minutes

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a SPREAD!  All my favorites including the ribeye, my first choice in steak.  So flavorful and always juicy and tender for every doneness.  

I would like to do the same thing for my 40th next year - cook and entertain at our home.  It makes me happiest to do that far surpassing going out or even going to SIL's (only because it's an hour away and we have to leave Gracie).  I wonder if I should say something so my DH knows or leave it up to him to plan whatever he wants...thoughts?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks so much, Amber.  I've copied and pasted it onto my wordpad.  What do yu mean by stuffing mushrooms?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

There are actual stuffing mushrooms in the supermarket. They say it right on the package.  They are white and bigger than normal mushrooms to hold the filling better.  I forgot to add I spray my cookie sheet with Olive Oil cooking spray and spray a lttle on the mushrooms themselves.  So good! 

Kar, my DD tried to talk me into going out but I do love to entertain and having my friends and DD in my home, makes me happiest, so she gave in.  I love rib eye steak grilled. IMO you have to have fat when you grill or the meat dries out.  Same with burgers, I always buy the 75% for that reason. it took me a long time to learn to grill, DH always took care of that.  I love a challenge and once I got the hang of it, I learned I loved doing it and I'm pretty good at it : )   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That sounds like a delectable version of the classic, thanks for posting, Amber.  
    tt, I use firm, white, round mushrooms that are big enough to put a heaping tablespoon of filling in.

I watched a "Myth Busting" episode of Good Eats (Alton Brown on the Food Network), and one of them was about washing mushrooms.  Turns out, they are not anything like sponges; they do not soak up any water as proven by weighing them before and after a thorough scrubbing under running water.  So, I wash them and pat them dry having merely brushed them off my whole life thinking that they would get soggy if I did anything else.

ETA:  We're all posting at the same time this morning!   Ambergirl, good for you for taking on the challenge (and there had to be so many...) of grilling.  It isn't as easy as it looks...like anything, I guess.  I agree about the fat - it's a necessary ingredient.  I, too, buy 75 - 85% lean hamburg.  I hate dry, tasteless meat...what's the point?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Love the idea of a pool party/grill tt at Winters place!  I do miss my pool parties, but I live through Winters pool parties : ) 

Kar, I would let your DH know.  Mine wouldn't have a clue unless I had told him.  My first mothers day I got a card "To you from both of us"  He was clueless... LOL!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Come on over on Sunday then.  :)  I'd love a pool party for my 40th, but sadly it's in January.  And we have lots of space outside to host.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know, I've always hated having my birthday in January.  So many nice months, and we get stuck in the below zero one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

But on the bright side Kar, it is after the Holidays and when people have nothing to look forward to.  So if you plan a dinner party at your beautiful home with candles, good food and wine and of course friends and family, then that sounds like heaven to me.  Throw in a really cold night with a bit of snow coming down... priceless!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Shall I put that on my January calendar?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, when you describe it that way it sounds great, indeed.  Of course, everyone put it on their calendars. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Can someone pick me up?  I don't drive out that way and not after dark either.  I'm assuming it's going to go into the evening.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies, you have been busy posting, and it took me a while to read them all. Sounds like you all have great plans for the weekend.
    MM, take care of that foot, will you? I would have gone too. Love the Berkshires - besides it will take your thoughts off your foot and pain - I hope. Have a great time there.
    Amber, your spread sounds fantastic. Hope DD will help you with the grilling and cooking. Re: mushrooms. Just because they put in the word "stuffing" on the package, they hike the price too. I pick from the loose mushrooms. This way I can get them all the same size, so they cook evenly. Love your stuffing. I can't put meat in mine, as I always have a few non-meat eaters, whenever entertaining. Wil have to make a batch for just DH and I.
    Kar, I would definitely put the bug in your DH's ear in regard to your b-day. Unfortunately, it will not be on a day where you can grill. Grilling is an easy, casual way to entertain. 
    I am sorry to hear about Busters kidney infection. Poor thing. I would listen to Kar, if I were you, and get him some probiotics. It will help his immune system, and make him heal and feel a lot better as well. Sounds like your weekends now are more or less set, now that you moved your mother up here. She must be looking so much forward to those. Bless you for taking so good care of her. How are you doing with your own health? I remember, you went through some tough times.
    What would we do w/o Cheerio pictures, tt? Please keep them coming. Looks like Ma has placed the ironing board just such, that the sun rays hit it just right. Lucky for your GD, that her father is at home these days, so she can have her GF over for pool parties almost any time she wants. Congrats with the good numbers. I have my physical next week. Will go for blood work Monday, so the numbers will be at my doc's, when I get there. I call them and ask for the lab referrals ahead of time. That way we can discuss and make changes in my meds right there and then, and it saves me a visit later on.
    Having a dinner party myself tmw. Just a small group. Also planning to eat outside on the deck. Hopefully the evening will be warm enough.
    Gotta run. Have my first PT appointment today. You all have a wonderful weekend - whatever you will be doing. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Pingo.  I won't let DD help with the grilling as that is my enjoyment : )  But she always helps me with the setup and anything else I need.  I never thought to pick out the loose ones, will have to do that when the Holidays come around. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My mother's birthday was in January too, and she hated it as well. People were tired and p**ped after all the holidays and celebrations. Plus the weather was never to depend on. I remember, how - several times - we cooked and prepared all day and no one showed up, because of a sudden snow storm. Those days we didn't have all the satellites and techniques available, so they could predict the weather ahead of time.

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]I know, I've always hated having my birthday in January.  So many nice months, and we get stuck in the below zero one.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Will go for blood work Monday

Good luck with your results, Pingo.  I feel like I should tape mine up on the fridge like I used to the kids' good papers!

ETA:  (says she while she munches on a chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven - and then reaches for another!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, your avatar changed for a few minutes. It was a dragon/horse (maybe a unicorn, now that I think of it)with a rainbow coming out of his mouth. It was there while I was typing, then went back to your normal one. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts