August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: August 2011

I cut up hot dogs and wrapped a piece of bacon around each and held it together with a toothpick.  I then put them in a large frying pan, covered with brown sugar, don't be afraid to add a lot as it melts.  I put a cover on the pan and cooked for about 30 minutes or so until the bacon was done. I then put the pan on simmer.  I had them on simmer for a couple of hours and they were fine.  Hope they enjoy : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll try this without the bacon.  Thank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ambergirl, thanks for the well wishes.  Glad your issues were "nothing," as well.  Winter, I hope your cysts don't cause you discomfort.  I feel like I've joined a club. :)

Pingo, Gracie's surgeon was out the day I had to take her in for x-rays having feared we'd done some damage because he was recovering from laproscopic kidney surgery to remove a malignancy.  They got it all, and he is back to work, now.  YAY!

Nov, I know I could have said something, thanks - not sure why I didn't...

Thanks to everyone for the gift ideas!  I will check them out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Counting down the days until my vacation.  Two more, yipee.  Looking forward to being a SAHW for the week.  Although I have drs appts., and Nat'l Grid coming to change out our gas meter, it will still be nice to get lots of projects done around the house.  From the sounds of the weather coming, good thing I haven't planned a week at the beach!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay for a week to yourself, prin-cal!  Even chores are more fun when you can relax and just get them done at your own pace.

DH doesn't know it, but his ring is in today for me to pick up!  So, I'll be heading East and hopefully making a lunch of it, too.  

I've started using a septic-friendly, biodegradable dish detergent.  It's a lot more expensive, but it cleans the dishes very well.  I'm embarrassed to say I'm surprised; I thought Cascade would blow it away.  Now, on to find a safe laundry detergent.  Apparently, if the bacteria balance stays constant, it could work indefinitely without any trouble, and as allreadymarried pointed out, bleach is a deadly force!  DH doesn't want me to stop bleaching the whites, though, and it IS only 1/3 cup per load...thoughts?

SIL begged DH to bring his golf clubs to work today to play a round after work, but, um, does the sky look threatening to anyone else or just me?!  I hope it holds off or goes off to sea, but....

Accidently made the best batch of zucchini bread yet yesterday.  I accidently tossed the salt in with the "wet" ingredients (including the zucchini) and then got distracted by a phone call before mixing it in with the "dry."  When I got back to it, it was VERY watered down from the salt having drawn the moisture out of the zucc, of course.  I rationalized it would be OK since the total moisture was the same, but I wasn't too sure about the texture.  OMG.  DH didn't know of the variation, took one bite, and exclaimed, "BEST EVER!"  Phew!!  

Well, DH doesn't know I'm going East today and asked me to do a few things that are kind of time consuming.  I didn't want to give away the surprise so I said, "No problem."  So, I'm going to be a busy bee today!

It's getting darker instead of lighter...  I hope everyone's basements stay dry and everyone will be safe on the roads who has to go out.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

I heard on the news today we are getting thunderstorms.  They said rain around noon but thunderstorms with wind around 5:00 for the evening commute. Of course...  Ugh..  Hope they are wrong as they are a lot!  I also heard the hurricane? will be coming Sunday, so that would be much better than Monday.  I hope everyone has a good day!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar, re: bleach.  I don't think small amounts can be that bad.  We have septic at the NH house and use small amounts of bleach for laundry and cleaning the bathrooms.  But, that house isn't used everyday, either, so I suppose the amounts of bleach are even smaller in the scheme of things.  Your DH knows the systems/house he built, Id trust him if he gives you the go ahead to bleach.  Happy the ring is in - what a nice surprise it'll be when he gets home!

I can't decide if I believe the hurricane will hit us as bad as they say.  I'm charging/ changing flashlight batteries just in case, though.  Maybe if we are all prepared it'll miss us all together.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Nov, for weighing in on the bleach.  It was just so scary to have a problem that now I'm probably going overboard.  Since I wasn't here when the house wasn't built (I stepped into "Perfectland"), sometimes I still think of the house as his (he doesnt' contribute to that feeling!), and I am inordinately scared of doing anything to mess things up, similar to how you'd if you were renting a beautiful home from friends that they built with their own hands.  It's irrational, I know - it's as much my home as his, and, either way, I don't want to mess it up...I'm sure this makes NO SENSE so I'll stop rambling.

Pingo, just noted your reference to BIL.  Yup, he'll be there.  But, he'll be so wound up with so many people to torment that he'll probably not focus on me too much.  I don't give him the reaction he desires so he'll target those who do.  Sad for them, but good for me.  Honestly, I don't know why anyone gives him what he wants, but whatever.  His mother called when DH was gone on business and left a panicked message, "Kar, Son called and said your DH's car got stolen!!  Please call and let me know what happened!!!"  I didn't even justify the lie by mentioning it outright.  I called her back and said, "MIL, your son's lips are moving he's lying."  She simply said, "I know."  And, no one mentioned the car.  I'm done coddling anyone who coddles him.  I think they find it refreshing, actually, to be told outright they don't have to be his fools.

DH sprayed with natural bug repellant that is nothing more than fish oil.  The house smells like a DOCK.  Yuck.  I'm sure Gracie is happily dreaming about fish, and DH actually likes the smell (???), but, I can't tell you how awful it is.  The good news, though, is that it kills more than bugs - it does a good job on my appetite, too.  Man, you could smear that stuff under your nose and never want to eat, again.  'Course, you might notice a quick drop off in the number of people who want to hang out with you, too. ;)

I'll be checking out the shops you guys mentioned today when I pick up DH's ring.  I'm so excited!  What a great day.

Ambergirl, I hope the rain doesn't mess up your commute...it always seemed to wait until the minute I left the building to go home - rain, snow, whatever - it KNOWS.  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ewww on the fish oil repellent.  I'd watch Gracie carefully when outside - sounds awfully tempting for a roll in the stink, and you don't have time today for a trip to the dog wash!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good thinking, but, happily, the stuff he sprayed is above her level or beyond the fence.  I can't imagine trying to wash that stuff off her!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning, I'm a little late checking in this morning.  Kar, yuck on the fish smell.  PC, I'm sure you will a wonderfil relaxing vacation.  How is Buster doing?
    So my son's early birthday party is Saturday, and I'm so happy to hear that the storm isn't coming until Sunday morning. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hi Winter - thanks for asking about Buster.  He seems to be doing a lot better.  Legwise he still has a limp, but that is expected.  In regards to his seizures and the meds he is on, he seems to be doing much better as well.  We are even seeing some of his "goofiness" come back at times, which is a pure delight.  He's such a good dog and has been through so much from his kidney removal, TPLO surgery, and the seizures.  My little guy, Spencer, is such a happy go lucky pup and I think he is happy to see his "brother" getting ready to play with him again!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's great to hear PC. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"So my son's early birthday party is Saturday"

I take it it's a pool party?  The kids will have a blast.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Swollen knee this morning that I've been icing, caused by a lot of different things, I guess.  Been icing it in the other room trying to get into latest book for book club - pretty dull reading right now, but they promise it gets better.

Had planned on getting out to Home Depot for some kind of caulking I could squeeze into cracks in cinder blocks, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make it from car through parking lot, into and through store and then back out.  Still have a couple of days before Irene, so maybe tomorrow I'll be mobile.

Took out the other fish fillet to thaw for supper.  May just throw it in the oven frozen and have it for lunch.  Cooked up a batch of carrots yesterday, so that, the fish and mashed potatoes sounds good.

No rain here, but grey and breezy.  Hope you guys don't get caught in it for the commute home.

Amber, Cheerio is driving me crazy today.  Keeps telling me she is hungry, but I don't see how she is.  Only took the fish our a few minutes ago, so now I'm sure once she gets a whiff of that there'll be even more begging.

Back to my 15 minutes on of ice.  Chat later.

ETA:  May scout around for another avatar - G.T. is talking of finding new homes for the cats.  Looking at the avatar makes me all the more sad.  He has to do what he has to do, I know his partner was the one who really kept pushing for the cats, G.T. knows himself well enough to know if they wrecked havoc with their things, it wouldn't work out.  I say nothing.  Not my choice.  I had to make my hard decision with Charlie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sorry to hear your knee is bothering you, tt.  Certianly the impending storms aren't helping matters.  Weather could have Cheerio riled up as well!  Can you distract her with a photo shoot?  She'd make a fabulous avatar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi tt,

I am sure Cheerio knows exactly what you are defrosting!  i can't go in my refridgerator and unwrap lunch meat without all animals coming running.  And forget about opening a can of tuna....  funny they can be at the other end of the house and know it is tuna.  Anything other can I open they don't do that with.  I agree with November that Cheerio would be the best avatar.  I know the boys would enjoy that : )  As far as GT and partner, I know you feel bad, but kittens are not for everyone and it honestly might be better for animals and owners for a new home.  You know GT will make sure they go someplace good.  But sad, yes.. and judgements, never..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry about your knee, tt - maybe it is Irene's approach?

I bet I know what's gotten into Cheerio.  She can smell our yard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE] I bet I know what's gotten into Cheerio.  She can smell our yard.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha!  You're probably absolutely right!

ETA:  She's looking at me, like "What's the matter?  Don't you know what I want?  Can't you smell it?"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

LOL Kar!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, yes it's a pool party.  His actual birthday is the 13th and the pool should be closed the Saturday/Sunday after Labor Day so we are having it early.  I'm sure the kids will have a blast, not so much if I have to take it indoors, though.  I too am sorry about your knee pain and also about Desmond and Norma.  But I'm sure GT will decide on a nice home for them.  I too think Cheerio would make a great Avatar.
    Amber, too funny with the tuna can. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Laughing   It's pouring here - maybe that will help; I hate to tease Cheerio with such a delectable scent.

Lunch didn't work out, but here I go to get DH's ring and see if I can find a gift. 

See you later,
    ~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Even tho this fillet was frozen, these two pieces of haddock that I bought at lowly S&S, have to be the sweetest tasting pieces of fish I've had in ages:

And yes, I did share with Cheerio.  You can see on the front of the fish where I forked out a little section for her.  Mama loves her Cheerio.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, you kill me with your lunches.  I am having a bologna and cheese sandwich and somehow it doesn't compare to your lunch...  LOL!  Cheerio has to be one happy kitty and she loves her mom : )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry about your knee, tt. Is this something new? Did you hit somethig w/o knowing it? Icing is good, but a pain to keep it up. And make sure you keep it elevated. Can you lay down in bed or couch with a pillow under your knee and read? Your lunch looks delicious. Makes me hungry. Haven't had my lunch yet.

Was going to go to Costco tonight after work to pick up some water for Irene - just to have it in the house. But since they are promising rain and thunder as we are about to leave from work tonight - I decided to run up there before coming to work. I am glad I did. The water bottles are rolling down the parking lot. People have  already starting to stock up big time. Something you girls may want to keep in mind.

Sections
Shortcuts