August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2011

Nothing new with this knee, had a bakers cyst 3 years ago that burst, and since then it flares up, usually a little, now and then.  Climbing up and down the stepstool over the week-end set it off, and then I don't know why, it's gotten much worse.  I can tell it's all fluid all around and even in back of it.  Doing the best I can today to doctor it.

"tt, you kill me with your lunches.  I am having a bologna and cheese sandwich and somehow it doesn't compare to your lunch"

But, Amber, after a lunch like this, I'll have either a bowl of cheerios and strawberries tonight, or a toasted raisin bread/cheese sandwich, and you'll be having the meal!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, I love cereal at night.  When DD isn't over or i don't feel like cooking for myself, my dinner is usually cereal or an omlet : )

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that lunch looks awesome. What did you put on top of the fish?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

TT - your fish looks delish! I'd be tempted to pick some up for dinner tonight or tomorrow but I don't thin I dare go near MB today. I talked to my Mom earlier and she had gone and siad it was a zoo - not a carriage to be had! Think I'll avoid that frenzy and fill up some pitchers to stick in the fridge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Foot in mouthIs it me or are people going overboard? They do this everytime we have a snow storm too.  I have made the mistake more than once of stopping at Stop & Shop on my way home and it being packed due to some storm coming.  So I end up paying more at the corner store.  Seriously people, do you really need 10 gallons of milk and water and enough food for a month??  This is New England.  I lived throught he blizzard of 78 with no warning and didn't starve to death and we didn't have bottled water then.  LOL!

ETA: I am only saying this because I hear people at work talking about it and getting all panicked. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm with you, Amber, but then I'm much older (100, if you've read, I should say "believe", the turkey thread!).  I like the idea of roughing it.  I'm certainly not rushing out tomorrow for stuff.  I  think most of us have canned goods on our shelves and like you say, water in the tap.  Since sweets are my downfall, may make up a hot orange coffee cake today and maybe a dish of those choc chip caramel bars.  Luckily, I bought a large bag of Hershey's assorted miniatures when I last shopped, so my choc fix is all taken care of.  Cheerio's food is always stocked up.  BTW, she could hardly keep her eyes open after her fish lunch, hasn't moved an inch all afternoon!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I doubt very much if you are 100 tt : )  You said it better than I could have.  I always have canned goods and I have lived through power outages.  I find they usually don't last more than a couple of days.  I am happy you are supplied with sweets which means I probably should eat the rest of my ice cream tonight, just in case Wink  The boys and Amber are stocked up too.  I actually love storms, unless I am commuting in them.  I am keeping my fingers crossed it comes Sunday, like they are now saying and not Monday.  Cheerio is so adorable and running around after you trying to tell you she wants fish wore her out! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I took a picture of her, but it showed up my dirty rug, so destroyed it!

Winter, I always crumble up Ritz crackers, and then spritz with some lemon, and pour melted margarine over, for my fish.  Baked the haddock fillets at 350 for 15-20 minutes, comes out just right, but today because fillet was frozen, baked for 30 minutes.  Tasted just as good as the fresh piece I cooked the other day.  Lots of time I hesitate to buy fish if it's not from the fish store, but I will try S&S again after having this good luck.
    ETA:  Oh, the brown pieces are cracker crumbs that had fallen off and cooked separately in the dish.  I always spoon those up on top too, because they taste so good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speaking of dirty area rugs, does anyone know of a dry cleaner you can sprinkle and vac?  I've tried to find one, but ended up last  time doing  it by hand with a solution of woolite and a rag or brush.  I was thinking this morning, - there used to be a hair shampoo people used to take to hospitals to do friend's hair - wonder if there is still anything like that around?  I would think that would clean a rug as well as a person's hair - no?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Resolve deep clean, carpet cleaning powder.  If you can't find it in stores, I know Amazon sells it.

ETA: I should say I use to use it inbetween professional cleaning and i thought it did a good job.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Amber.  I've looked for any kind of powder, but usually end up sprinkling sifted baking soda and sweeping that.  Of course, then you have to dust and dry mop up all the white powder!  I do have a vac, but it is a heavy, cumbersome thing that I don't use unless it's for an emergency.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Ah!  I understand now.  i wonder if they still sell carpet sweepers.  I remember my mom had one and it was great!

ETA: Of course I had to google it and they do sell them!  I only have one small area rug that I sweep too, but the carpet sweeper might be easier..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't know if it would have enough suction to get the cat hair out.  That's what dirties my rugs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

So you know me tt, I am going to do my homework : )  Plus I have no work to do.. LOL!  I found this on Amazon - Ewbank 525 floor and carpet sweeper for $19.99.  It appeared to get the best reviews, but this review caught my eye because of the cat hair.  I have the same problem you do.  I am very tempted..

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Handy!
    When I first used it I thought it wasn't picking up very much as it barely touched the wood chips from my wood carving. Then I opened it to empty and saw the TON of pet hair inside that I couldn't see in the carpet! On the second try it started picking up the wood chips with ease. Does it replace a vacuum sweeper? No, but its great for quick clean up between...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Resolve carpet powder is a little damp as I recall, so it doesn't fly everywhere.  I thought it worked pretty well, too.  I used it before I moved in my apartment to spruce up the beige carpets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wow, that sounds perfect for me, Amber.  I really can't drag that vacuum around. thanks for doing the legwork.  I'm in the middle of getting ingredients together (had to get off my leg for a minute or two) for the orange coffee cake, but once it's in the oven, will google Amazon and check it out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]The Resolve carpet powder is a little damp as I recall, so it doesn't fly everywhere.  I thought it worked pretty well, too.  I used it before I moved in my apartment to spruce up the beige carpets.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I hesitate to use anything that might dampen my hardwood floors underneath, but if I can find it, I'll certainly read the package.  Thanks.

Off to the kitchen now and that coffee cake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just did a little more research on Ewbank carpet sweepers and found a better one on their website but they are out of the UK.  Might have to research other brands.  I really think this is better for my area carpet right now.  Will let you know tt if I get one and how it works.

ETA: But the one on Amazon did get good reviews, so I may go with that after all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

One more thought, if it's made in UK would it take a different wattage than we have?  Or wait, it doesn't get plugged in at all, right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

The Resolve really does work well Kar.  But I hear tt's pain about dragging out her vacuum cleaner and I think you do have to vacuum it?  It's been a while.  Having animals I have learned to have as many bare floors as possible, as I know you know!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt, that fish looks so tasty. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

It is totally manual tt.  That is what I like the best. No plugging in : ) 

• Wide 20cm sweeping path
    • Long life brushes for efficient cleaning
    • No electricity or re-charging required and no electrical cord to unwind
    • Long coated steel handle for cleaning in awkward corners
    • Large capacity dustpan

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

As long as it doesn't soak through, I would be willing to give the vacuum a once in a while drag out.  (reply re dragging vacuum out for Resolve cleaning).
    Now, I'm really getting back in the kitchen!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt and Amber this one has 4 out of 5 stars as well www.amazon.com/Bissell-Swift-Sweep-Sweeper-2201-2/dp/B0001WW2G2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1314301747&sr=1-1" target="_blank">" target="_blank">Bissell Swift Sweep Sweeper

ETA:  Not sure why the link looks like this. I've fixed it twice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I did check that out Winter first, how ironic, because of the stars.  But there seems to be a lot of complaints about the handle breaking.  A lot of comments on the Ewbank said they originally had the Bissel but bought this one because of the handle issues.  I was surprised as Bissel is a really good product.