August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August 2011

Kar,
    when it rains it pours. But I know you will manage. What is on the menu for three days? Bet a lot of veggies and maybe a raspberry pie.
    I just made (first time) Mu Shu Pork - now waiting for DH to come home to eat it. Made it with half the meat and doubles up on the veggies. It smells wonderful and taste good too. Will warm up the pancakes (tortillas) in the micro, when he is here - and then all done. Not to forget the hoisin sauce and the ginger sauce I just made.
    Yum! - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

How was your day, tt? Did you have a good time? Where did you have lunch?
    - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]Ha ha, tt - you got it right. I used to watch the "Guiding Light", when I used to be at home with the kids. The characters disappeared, but always came back. Only once was a character written off (forgot her name, could be Mrs. Chandler??), when she died for real. Right after G L, I watched Sesame Street with the boys. Oh boy, it is such a long time ago ------. Sweet memories. Another day time show I liked to watch was "When People Are Talking" with Tom Bergeron. Remember that one? It was on channel 4. Now he is host on "Dancing w/ the Stars"; I can't stand him there. He tries to be younger, than he is - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Pingo, I started watching Guiding Light when it was only a 15 min. show, think it was in 1958.....was so upset when it went off, I had watched it all that time, the characters almost felt like family.....ss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I STILL miss the Guiding Light

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Friends,
    A friend just e-mailed this to me. It is very moving. Thought I would share. You may already have seen it. If so, it is worth watching it again - Pingo

http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1

ETA: I forgot to tell you, the movie is made by a 15 year old girl.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning All.  Glad that it's Friday.  It's been yet another long, busy week at work.  Buster is still getting along well.  Will take him to the vet for blood work next week to make sure his liver, etc. are okay since he's been on this medication.

No big plans for the weekend.  Will be taking Mom out tomorrow and then hope to get stuff done around the house on Sunday.  I need to plan a vacation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Glad to read the update on Buster, Princess.  Does he seem to be coming more out of his fog?  I'm sure once his system gets used to the medication, he'll seem more like his old self.

Nice lunch yesterday at Angelica's, then a stop at Pepperidge Farm Outlet (yummy raspberry danish) and one of the top favorite places of my friend, Christmas Tree Shop.  She did find a few things, but as usual, I came out empty handed.  Noticed they had a lot of microfiber mats - at first I thought they were door mats, but upon looking more closely, they were mats to put under dishes at the sink.

Talked with my son before he took off for Foxwoods to wish him luck.  Told him I would be drinking a toast to him at lunch.  My friend very nicely added to my toast - "and to his wonderful mother".  We aren't a group who openly express feelings much, so I was suprised, pleasantly.

Heard from the SIL of a former neighbor (card playing one that I no longer get together with).  Her brother left that neighbor several months ago, and is temporarily staying with her.  Neighbor has alienated entire family because of her pig headedness in refusing to admit or correct mistake she made in taking in 20 year old grandson  two years ago (over husband's protests).  Arrests, court appearances, fines, drinking, refusal to finish school or get a job - finally her husband had had it, and after refusing to put the grandson out, she said once too often, to him, "If you don't like it, you leave".  He finally did.  What a fool she is, her children and other grandchildren don't go to her house because of him, and her constant bad mouthing of their father (one of the reasons I stopped getting together with her) has led to them telling her she wasn't welcome in their homes. -  Anyway, the lady who called me, is going in for back surgery this Monday.  I don't know the time it is scheduled for, but it will be a long one, and I'm asking if you think of it Monday, to offer up a prayer or two for her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Pingo, how was the mu shu?  I LOVE that dish; it's my go-to dish when I order Chinese takeout, and I've never made it.  Ambitious!  

I'm not going all out, really.  My friend and her daughter will be joining me and Gracie at the cafe I discovered last week.  She loves that kind of food and also lives "in the middle of nowhere" (an hour north of here) without regular access to great little places like that so it's a treat for her, too.  Last night wasn't a dinner event - he didn't even want a glass of water.  We hung out and enjoyed his 9 month old "showing off" her standing and creeping skills and playing with Gracie (who must have looked gigantic to her).  This weekend, yes, my father will get a raspberry pie - you guessed it.  Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'm not too stressed about it.  We do have a lot of veggies in the garden, now, so it should be easy enough - he likes fresh produce.  Sunday afternoon, we'll be going to SIL's for a dinner party, and all we have to do is bring a salad.

Prin-cal, glad to hear Buster appears to be adjusting well to the medication, and I hope the bloodwork proves he is suffering no ill effects.  How is his TPLO knee doing?  Have fun with your mom tomorrow.  Any plans?  Do you like yard sales?  You could get the paper nice and early and map out the morning then stop somewhere for lunch - that's what my grandmother and I used to do.  Such fun if you guys are into such things. :)

tt, isn't it great to have a spontaneous sharing of how wonderful your friends know you are once in awhile?  I enjoyed imagining the moment. :)  Happy birthday to DS!  That story of your former neighbor is so heartbreaking.  Why are people so terrible?  Anyway, yes, of course, we'll be praying for the SIL who called, that her back surgery and recovery goes well.

8:30 already?!  I'm making crackers for my friend and my dad right now; they are in the breadmaker on "pizza dough."  They've got a smokey grinder blend of paprika, basil, onion (I think) and salt from Trader Joe's.  I've been grinding it into the salad dressing, and DH has gone wild for it...me, too.  I'm on a serious "smokey" kick right now!

Must vacuum and steam the floors to prepare for a toddler.  Last night I was happy for the low light. LOL

Have a great Friday, everyone!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I starting watching Guiding Light when I was in High School...I loved Reva and Josh and Beth and Philip.

Everyone seems to have great plans for the weekend.  We have nothing planned, I need to catch up on some chores I couldn't do last weekend. 

This picture isn't teapot related (those are coming).  It is my dried wedding bouquet (in back), then our toasting flutes (they make the silver heart), and then the cake topper that we put next to the cake. It is on a corner shelf in our Dining Room.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How pretty, Winter.  Nice that you have a spot where you can display them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you tt.  We have a nice sand ceremony vessel that I wanted to put there, but I didn't want my son to hit it and knock it down.  Once I have things put in the built in China Cabinet I'll post a picture. 

Here are some teapots.  I think most are out, but I know there are some with tea cups I collect those on occasion as well.  I will start with the two on the porch, which by looking at the pictures needs to be painted.

This first one is from Martha's Vineyard.

This one is from Hyannis.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How lovely, Winter!  What a special tribute to the wedding you get to enjoy every day.  Makes me wish I'd preserved my bouquet - ours were almost identical (my avatar).  I do have a few flowers from it that preserved themselves, and I keep them in a cut glass dish with shells from our honeymoon.  Looking forward to the teapot photos...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Now we make our way into the Living Room. 

The one on top was my first one from my MOH given to me about 15 years ago. It's probably my favorite because I like the different shape of it.  The one with the matching plate is from Princess House.  On the next shelf the Coffee pot (behind small plate) is from a New Orleans (I got it a shop in a mansion).  The small plate in front of it and tea cup on the right of it are from Scotland.

This is a glass teapot from Princess House. (Sorry for the glare)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(as you can see I'm not vacuuming, alas)

What a collection, Winter, and I love how you have the displayed, especially the built-in corner shelves up high.  Great use of the space.  I like things that draw eyes upward and include that area of the room in the decor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Those are great.  So nice that the sunporch had those little corner shelves, just right for displaying each one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Lovely pot shots, Winter.  I really like the corner shelves for display and will have to keep it in mind as a DH project when we buy a house someday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Ok on to the kitchen.

The Winnie the Pooh one I got at Disney World.  The top one is from Avon it matches the creamer and sugar from the bottom shelf of the living room photo.

This one is from Jamaica.

The top one DH gave me with flowers in it years ago.  It's a Thomas Kincaid.  The one underneath it is from New Brunswick.

Not sure where I got the blue one, was a gift I believe.  The pooh is a watering can and the teapot in the middle I found at a Church Bazaar for $2.50.

Another $2.50 church bazaar find.

These two do not have a home yet they are on top of the fridge.  Well on is an Easter pot, so will be put away until that time.  The other MOH's parents got me it's a tea pot for one.

That's it for now.  I do have one that goes with my formal china and a Star Wars one.  I'll get pictures of those over the weekend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, here is my bouquet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Actually I do have a picture of the sand ceremony vessel I mentioned. It's at the venue.  I poured the blue sand (which looks better from the other side), DH the silver and we had my DS pour the ivory.  We united ourselves as a family not just a couple.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I had no idea what to put on the shelves on the porch, my MOH was over and said why not put a teapot there.  DH nor DS noticed when I asked them what was different...lol.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Love the sand vessel idea, Winter.  Never heard of that before.

ETA:  You're going to have SS jealous - she loves yard sales finds!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt.  I didn't get married in a church, because if I couldn't get married in my church it wasn't going to happen.  So instead of a Unity candle ceremony I found a Sand ceremony and found something we could include my DS in.  If his grown boys had come we would have included them as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You really put a lot of thought into all aspects of your wedding.  I'm sure your DH's family must be so pleased to welcome you into their family.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    What a lovely collection, you have. And displayed so beautifully. Love those corner shelves.
    I never heard of the sand ceremony before and couldn't figure it out, until you posted the photo. What a unique way to unite a family. Love it!
    Maybe it is just me, but I can't see the cake topper on the first photo. I see the bouquet and the flutes, but no cake topper? - Pingo