August 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August 2011

What a nice birdfeeder you got your mother, princess. I am sure she will have many hours of enjoyment. - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]Ache, if you want an apology, I will give you one. Mostly for the sake of keeping peace on the Chat. No one care of listening to anyone being mean to each other. However, I really should not have to:    instigate |ˈinstiˌgāt|    verb [ trans. ]    bring about or initiate (an action or event) Wouldn't you be doing that (initiate an event) in regard to PAD ll? - Pingo In Response to Re: August 2011 :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

pingo, I cant believe you are hiding behind the inherent ambiguity of language as a way to duck out of giving a proper apology

That is something a scoundrel does, not a peace maker

When you used the word "instigator" the other day, you didnt mean it in a neutral way as in "to initiate" or "to bring about". You intended it to mean something along the lines of "agitator" or "troublemaker"

But okay, I accept your "apology"

I am doing so however while holding my nose...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bored, Ache?

Dad is still here, and the visit is going well.  

Gracie woke up limping today, but I suppose that might happen for a few more months here and there.  I can't think of any particular thing she did (that I saw); maybe she just slept on it funny.  It's unnerving, but we'll just keep an eye on it.  I talked to a man at the cafe with my friend whose dog had three TPLO surgeries for the same dog.  He let it off the leash too early because he figured "no problem," and she saw a rabbit, and in the blink of an eye the leg was blown and needed to be redone.  While that was healing, she blew the good leg.  $12,000 in TPLO surgery, can you imagine?

I hear signs of life upstairs...gotta go. :)

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Hope you're having better weather for your father's visit today than we are, Kargiver.  What are you plans with him for the day?  Right now it's pouring.  Weather says off and on showers all day.  I've got to go down cellar and see if any more water is coming in the back room - I'm chicken - don't want to have to think about that today if it is.  Even with the rain, it's still muggy.  I've spent the better part of the time since I've been up, opening windows/doors, then closing them when the heavier rain starts up.  Good day for my eggplant parm anyway.

Pretty Baby was out there when I opened the back door this morning, came out from under the shrub, talking away.  This time Cheerio's curiosity got the better of her and she jumped to the kitchen window.  No hissing or fluffing up of tail tho, so I'm guessing he's probably a male.  I think she'd defend her property against another female.

Paper has been read, so I'll single out one room and give that a good going over.  Cool enough to do that.  Have a nice day.  Pingo you do have a good day to breakfast out and then put in a few hours at the office.

SS, wondering if your reunion will still be on.  Is it a doable group for inside his house if need be?  If not, let me know and I'll be over to help eat all those good things you were going to bring!

PPs:  addressing Gracie's limp - maybe she's overdoing it.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

TT - the bird feeder is for my MIL, who lives in an in-law apt in our house, so it's not a problem.  It doesn't even leave a mess.  The only problem is Spencer now just sits and waits for the birds to "come in" and then barks and scares them away.  We are working on training him not to do that.

What a yucky morning out there.  Did do some grocery shopping, which stinks in the rain, but it has to be done.  Lots of paperwork for DH's business to do today.  At least I am not missing a nice sunny day to do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: August 2011:
    [QUOTE]TT - the bird feeder is for my MIL, who lives in an in-law apt in our house, so it's not a problem.  It doesn't even leave a mess.  The only problem is Spencer now just sits and waits for the birds to "come in" and then barks and scares them away.  We are working on training him not to do that. What a yucky morning out there.  Did do some grocery shopping, which stinks in the rain, but it has to be done.  Lots of paperwork for DH's business to do today.  At least I am not missing a nice sunny day to do it.
    Posted by princess-cal[/QUOTE]

Oh, right, I was thinking of your mother.  I have a couple of friends who were so disappointed when they moved to condos or community living places and found they weren't allowed to feed the birds.  Gawd, Cheerio would love one of those window feeders.  Wish I could have captured a pic the other day of her and sparrow at the slider.  My movement scared the bird away tho.  Hearing bumps now and then, and am assuming the birds are flying into the slider.  No casualties, but I'll have to get some kind of decal and get it on the window so they don't think they're flying off into the sky.

How is Buster doing?

P.S.  Wasn't meaning mess from seeds, but mess from birds droppings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Yes - it is going to be an office day. But it looks like I have to wait all the way to Friday to take off. We are going to have rain the entire week.
    Kar, sorry to hear about Gracie limping. Hopefully it is only because she slept in a wrong position. Too bad your DH was not there to listen to the off-leash-guy's story. One cannot tell a dog to take it easy.
    Too bad, SS - that it is raining today for your reunion. Lots of preparations from everyone, so it will be difficult to cancel. Hope it still goes well.
    Glad to know, I have company doing paperwork. It never ends. You work yourself through one pile, but before you know, another one is waiting for you. How is Buster doing?
    Now off to brunch - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, did you ever hire a new bookkeeper, or are you doing all that now?

And, bookkeeper (a "bee" word!) makes me think of bees - how are yours, Kargiver?

ETA:  Looking through ads see that the new Michael's in the old Circuit City in Saugus is open as well as one in North Weymouth - (thinking of Pingo and SS particularly.  SS, I'll send you the 40% off any regular price item coupon.  If you haven't ever gone in, I know you'll see little things you'll like.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No, tt. We have not hired a new bookkeeper yet. I am doing ok with day day to day stuff. What is taking so much time, is cleaning up all the mess, the last two bookkeepers made. Noting was filed in it's right place. Old bills not paid etc. One cannot expect a new person to catch up with that. We are making headway - and when all it fine, will hire someone. But then I will be on the neck of whoever, to make sure it will not happen again. We were so lucky to have the best bookkeeper in the world for over 10 years, and never had to worry.
    How much better can it be? Marchall's, Michael's, Job Lot  and Target - all in the same area. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, it was raining this morning, but not now - the sun is steaming things up here in good shape.  My dad went off to a local Quaker meeting in Worcester this morning and is due back (hopefully) in 15 - 30 minutes.  Lunch will be ready in 20...turkey loaf.  We don't have plans beyond that because DH and I are going to his sister's for a party tonight so the party here is over at 3:00.  My dad isn't big on formal plans, anyway - he'll probably nap after lunch.  I dunno.

The bees seem well, thanks!  The big question will be, of course, will this batch survive the winter.  They already have a better chance of that because DH removed one of their containers so they have 1/2 the space to keep warm.  And, he made a few mistakes with their medicine last year that I doubt he'll repeat.  Live and learn!

Gracie's knee is still bothering her today, but I'm not in a panic yet.  

Pingo, paperwork is like housework.  As you're dusting, more is falling.  Hopefully, you'll get a new bookkeeper soon so you won't have to spend so much time at the office yourself.

I envy your having so many cool stores nearby.  I like to poke around and not have to make a big trip of it.  Oh, well, I'll enjoy your adventures vicariously, thank you!

Must finish lunch.  The loaf is smelling good.  I always fear that "this time" it won't be as good as usual when we have company - do you?

Later,
    ~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're doing better in the weather department than we, Kargiver, it's pouring here continually.  Checked cellar once and no water, now that it's been raining heavy steadily for a couple of hours, will take another peek down. You have a full day what with your father and then a party tonight.  That's the difference in age - by tonight I would be too pooped to go out!

Finished off the beef stroganoff for lunch and will make the eggplant for supper, I guess, unless I'm still too full and decide to wait a day.  After lunch Cheerio and I sat on the couch and napped a little cat nap.  I'm tackling the toy room next, and some of the "stuff" that seems to get moved in there for want of a better place.  It doesn't take long once I get started - the key words being, "once I get started".

Torrents of rain running down the street.  Hope this isn't what they mean by rain all week - I did see a couple of buys in the ads and plan to make a few rounds tomorrow.  Have a dr.'s appt the middle of the week too.  Not looking forward to that because I've a feeling blood work I had done a couple of days ago might not show the best results.

Alright, off I go, cellar and then straightening up back room.  Chat later if anyone's around then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

How is your cellar, tt? Boy was it raining this afternoon. I was thinking of our son in TX. They have now 34 consecutive days with temperatures over over 100 degrees (some days it reached 107) and no rain for the past 3 months. The dirt is cracking everywhere. They can use sprinklers for 1/2 hour one day a week on a certain schedule, and hose water the rest of the time in the morning before 6.
    So, who are we to complain? - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My cellar is dry, so the cementing G.T. did took care of where it was leaking in.  I'm thankful for that.  I know, Texas and some of the other southern states are suffering unbelievable temps.  With all the rain we have had, I heard the weatherman say we needed the rain we were getting.

I had another visitor this afternoon, not a deer, but a large hawk.  He was sitting on top of one of the dead branches in a tree adjacent to my yard.  Took a pic, but couldn't get a shot with the silhouette of his beak, so not worth posting.

Ended up not making the parm, wasn't hungry enough tonight.

Wonder if SS's reunion was still on.  It wasn't local, so maybe there the rain wasn't as bad as here.  

A quiet day, gave me thought of Sunday's when everyone used to end up here.  Families grow, things change, and now that phase is past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  Monday already, huh.  Spent most of the day working on paperwork, etc. for DH's business.  The weekends just go by too quickly, and now back to work.  I have to take some time off before this summer slips away!

Buster is doing better.  He has an appt. for bloodwork, etc. tomorrow so we can make sure his liver, etc. are okay being on the medication.  He is still limping though but we are really trying to work with him with a few short walks a day hoping that will  help.

What's everyone got going on this week?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  It seems like everyone had a nice, relaxing weekend.  So yesterday we watched as the pool filled up a good 5-6 inches.  We thought we were going to have to start pumping water out, but it's ok. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Hoping everyone's basements are still dry.  We had the torrential rain you were getting, finally, last night.  I wondered if it might have been hailing it was so loud, but I guess not, thankfully - no damage.

tt, we were totally exhausted on the way to SIL's, but it turned out to be a nice, low-key dinner and we were OK. SIL had made a raspberry layer cake that was simply the best cake I'd ever had in my life.  The moist cake, creamy raspberry filling, the outer frosting, the fresh raspberries on top...it was masterful.  She was pseudo-insulted that I hadn't asked for the recipe, and I explained that it was FAR too good and clearly very complicated for me to dare replicate - she agreed. ;)

Prin-cal, I hope Buster continues to heal well and that his bloodwork turns out A-OK.

I've got a big mess to clean up post overnight guest and for the fact that we rushed out of here yesterday before I could get to the kitchen.  DH will be gone tomorrow - Thursday (very late) on business...sigh.

Have a great week, everyone!

~kar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone.  What a mess yesterday was with all that rain, huh?  At least it kept me in the house, except for a trip to MB, and I got all of the laundry done and the house nice and tidy.  All good things since we are having friends over for dinner tonight.  Saturday was nice - went for a ride with DH up to Manchester, NH.  We did all back roads, so it was a long trip, but I prefer a slower pace on back roads to check out all the scenery.

Glad to hear Buster is coming along.  How's Gracie's limp today, Kar? 

I don't have much planned for this week.  Possible trip to visit friends in Kennebunkport this weekend, then next week I am taking a short week/long weekend in NH, then at the end of the month we are doing an overnight to Foxwoods.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad your evening was a relaxing one.  Raspberry is my favorite, so that cake sounds delicious!

Too bad your husband has to travel so much.  That seems to be the norm for a lot of men's jobs these days.  You do what you gotta do, I guess, but still, must get lonesome for you, especially nights.

The number of joggers going by is increasing, so it must be  later than I think.  Better get around, get out, and get my errands done.  Don't want to be late for Y&R and miss what they offer today after last Friday's episode - they can't top that one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, Gracie isn't limping so much today, but I talked to our kennel owner/dog trainer (she's taken care of a number of post-TPLO surgery dogs for owners who both work long hours for the first 2 months), and she said that she shouldn't be intermittantly limping, that it should be a steady improvement.  So, if she is better one day, worse the next, we need to put her on a couple of weeks of leash rest to get her back on track; she strained it and needs to recover 100% from that.  So, here we go again with the restrictions.  Can't wait for this ordeal to be over for all of us.

tt, yes, I count down the hours to his return every day; when he's away for a few days it's very lonesome.  But, having Gracie helps, and he really doesn't travel overnight very often - 3 times a year, maybe, so I shouldn't complain.  I have you guys, and I'm making some special "East" lunch plans, too, and that makes the days go by faster.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning, what a damp morning. Had the windows open last night and everything I touch feels damp. A/C is on now.
    Glad to know everyone seems to have survived the torrents. According to the weatherman last night, we got close to 3 inches in our little town. On our way home from the office last night, there were a lot of flooding - huge puddles on the streets.  Our office building is built in a low area, and we have 3 pumps going when it rains like this, and all is well and dry.
    Sorry to hear about the continued restrictions for Gracie. I felt you have been so good about it, Kar. Maybe she did really hurt herself, when she slipped on the floor.
    Winter, you may want to check your pool water and adjust it. All that rain will throw off the Ph. Just saying. I am sure you are on the top of things. Don't want things start to grow in there.
    Dh picked more of the long peppers yesterday. Prepared and stuffed them this morning, so they are ready to go in the oven tonight. It is a bit time consuming, so I wouldn't do it, when I get home from work. They are so good.
    Have to call PT for an appointment. X-rays showed my arthritis in my spine has worsened, so I got a prescription for a painkiller and a referral for a round of PT. Apparently different exercises than I am already doing for my hips. I am falling apart!
    I also have to make my way up to Costco today or tomorrow. Need to pick up a script for DH, plus I am out of several staples.
    Try to stay dry - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning everyone, after all the rain yesterday, this morning is muggy and damp.  Our re-union went off as planned, it was raining when we left, and as we went along it rained harder, I did tell DD if it was too much to drive in she should find a exit, get off the highway and head for home....noway!!!  Just before we hit NH the rain stopped, still cloudy, but no rain, further on the sun came out....Yay!!  Good foks, lots of good food and oodles of desserts!!  No extra company tt, but at least we've been in touch, can't give up, gotta just keep trying.  No rain on the way home, lots of puddles along the Mass. streets tho. Rasberry is my favorite jam....love it with cream cheese on dark bread...
    Prin-Cal--real nice bird feeder, bet its lots of fun for  your MIL. Take care all, have a good day and keep smiling, ss

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, so sorry about the progression of artheritis.  I hope the new PT slows/stops it.

Gracie has been jumping off the rock wall, and that's a no-no.  I was hoping it had been long enough since the surgery to let her do it here and there, but I guess not.

It's very damp here, too.  Sleeping felt like we'd sprung a leak in the water bed. DH got up and showered at 2 am.

Can't wait 'til we can have stuffed peppers, too, Pingo, but ours aren't far enough along yet.  Enjoy!  You were wise to do them early - they are time consuming for me, too.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, you aren't the only one falling apart, I was talking to myself the whole time I was out this morning, wondering why all of a sudden it all has kicked up again - but as an ortho surgeon told me, "that's arthritis - it's sneaky."

Did my tours of KMart, CVS and Marshall's.  Got to Marshall's and didn't see any signs about their ribbons being on sale.  Asked the salesgirl and we both scanned the circular, neither one of us saw it.  I couldn't find anything about it in my pocketbook, and so came back home - of course I had clipped it out of the flyer and there it was, tucked in with my one dollar bills!  Not going to run back out today.  I was thinking of picking up enough ribbon to wrap the large baby gifts, but don't even have the wrapping paper yet, and there are soooo many shades of the blue ribbon.  They'll probably have another sale before the shower.  Not going to kill myself for 25% off (I had thought it was 50%).

No trip to Costco this week for me, Pingo, I think our scripts are on different run out dates!

SS, so glad the reunion went off as planned.  You're right, the contact has been made and returned, and that's the important thing.  Most likely the pouring rain made them think twice about driving up there.  Start working in DD to come down here again, tho I suppose, of course, she would want a day when G.T. was going to be down too.  Don't think that will be for quite a while.  He put up the first tree this week-end, the one in "my" room, and said so far the cats have no interest in it.  Got a new one for the landing where he usually has the tree of poinsettias, and says that is going to look SPECTACULAR.  That's what they're after, I guess.

Haven't had my usual luncheon salad for a while, so am going to make a nice big one and a large glass of iced tea.

Sorry to hear Gracie may have reinjured herself again, Kargiver.  Slow and easy is the pace I imagine for quite a while.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, just in case he doesn't know it, poinsettias when eaten by a cat, will make them very sick. It is funny, Boo would never try and eat any of my plants, but Tigger would. So I don't have any real plants because of him but that's ok, he's worth it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

(It's a huge tree that fills the landing in front of stain glass windows - BUT, it's all poinsettias he and I bought at various Michael's!)  Everyone always thought that was stunning, but he's always looking for new ideas.  Thanks for thinking of the kitties tho.