August 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2012

If we don't touch base tomorrow, Pingo, have a safe trip to Texas.  I know you'll have a wonderful time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks for letting me know.(Y&R)..I missed the very end...which is always the best part...On another note....Zachary rolled over today!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, congratulations, Icer!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If anyone is interested I posted a few more Middle Eastern recipes in the Recipe forum.
    Had to keep myself busy while waiting for a repairman (all day) yesterday!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, I survived my fiirst canning experience and the kitchen is no worse for wear, either. I talked to a kitchen store lady yesterday about the "blow up" potential, and she said it used to be a a real concern because after WWII, there were a few munitions manufaturers that turned to making pressure cookers, and they did NOT have any business doing that, they had no safety features at all. Today's literally cannot explode because of the failsafe valves. So, that settles that - no reason to fear. But, apparently the "1/2 in headspace" was not enough; the tomato sauce leaked a little out of three of the 4 quarts and made a mess of the canner which is now stained black from the acid. I've read that happens sometimes but doesn't affect the quality of the seal so all is well. However, now I'm kicking mysel for the cheaper aluminum cooker rather than getting the stainless steel one. Too late now, unless the staining will compromise its integrity...I'll have to call the canning class instructor. Anyway, my friend and I had a BLAST despite it being a very fussy and time consuming job. I've got time, though, and it wasn't altogether unenjoyable a process so I guess I'm a canner, now, lol. I took a couple of pictures. Oh, and I don't know how people do this without a gas range; you have to keep adjusting the heat so the pressure stays constant, and if it dips below the recipe's poundage, you have to start the timing completely over. You can only make an electric burner heat up and cool down so fast, but gas responds immediately. I think I have had a far different experience without a gas range...maybe be putting the whole thing in the dump swap, lol. Had a fun time out last night, too, with SIL and niece shopping in Wrentham and eating dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. Got home just before midnight so pretty darned poooped today. No sleeping in when you have a dog! 6 is her time, and this morning it was 5:55 when we heared that little "hurmph" that says, "Come get me!" We like middle eastern, Robin, thanks. Hope your repair got taken care of to your satisfaction after waiting around all day. Cool morning...damp, too. Not sure of the weather, but I predict an afternoon nap... Have a great weekend, everyone. I'll be on later to post the photos...DH is using the real computer right now. ~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,
    I was up early this morning too, missed Harry yesterday and didn't want 2 days in a row to go by.  Sure enough, 6:00 a.m. he was out there when I opened the door.

Glad you had a for the most part good experience with the canning session, Kargiver, can't wait to see the pictures.  Boy, you had a busy day, what with the canning and then out kalooping for the evening!  I couldn't do both in the same day.  Did you find any treasures or was this a school hunting trip for your SIL's niece?  Is she that age?

Heard rain off and on during the night, but this morning the sky seems to be brightening and the pavement is dry.  Going to get around and perhaps do a couple of errands which I hate to do on Saturday's.  Have gotten spoiled with being able to run Routes 1 and 114 during the week when the getting in and out of mini malls is easier.

Pingo, I imagine you'll be busy today putting together your suitcase and checking your plants one last time before you leave tomorrow.  I know you'll at least sneak a peek on the boards to catch Kargiver's canning pics, so once again, have a great trip.  We'll miss you.

Amber, hope you're able to catch some of the posts and are feeling much better.  Can't wait for the morning I click on and see a post from you.  Cheerio says "hi" to the boys.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt. It was deifnitely not my ideal to do both in one day, but it was a shopping excursing focued on getting her clothed for college this year, as you suspected. I did get a new Teflon-free non-stick 8" frypan I'd been looking for and a pair of Levis. Very wet here, but no rian this morning. Have fun out there! We're just hanging around here relaxing today. I'm pretty tired for yesterday's craziness and very late night, and DH is dragging from being on Day 3 of the cleanse. We're quite a pair today!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It doesn't seem there are very many days when the two of you are not bustling around, so enjoy your day of just hanging around!  My intentions are good for getting out there early, but as you can see, I'm still at the computer, drinking coffee and eating toasted scali bread.  What I should do mornings is not turn on the computer at all until after I've been out doing whatever it is I have to do. Don't have the willpower for that tho.  I love sitting at this window anyway, in the early mornings, so quiet and always a cool breeze.  I figure my years of having to get out of the house by a certain time, are thankfully behind me, and I've earned my lounging around, get out when I feel like it, days.  Plan on doing some baking later if the temps don't get up too high.  Out of scones and I like having some in the freezer, ready.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I often think I should just get to the tasks of the day and reward myself later with the computer, but I can't do it, either. :)  We watched a recording of Shark Tank this morning, and enjoyed a leisurely morning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In Response to Re: August 2012:
    [QUOTE]Finished up the last of the sliced tomatoes and cukes from yesterday, on a bed of baby spinach, for lunch.  Reallly wanted one of those wowie cupcakes, but there are just 6 and I want to be able to send them, frosted along with company.  If they don't drop by today, the cupcakes will make their way to the freezer - or my mouth!  Leftover parm for supper. Washed hall and kitchen floors with a new mop and the sponge on it is so hard to use, hard to move along the floor.  It's a decent mop, but too hard for me, will have to look for a new different sponge attachment. Almost time for Y&R, did I miss anything good yesterday, Icer?  I'll wish you all a good week-end now in case I miss you later.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]  Good morning all, hope everyone survived that horrendous rain storm last night....the alarm on my water pump went off and ran for over 1/2 hour...thank goodness no water in cellar, I called the Co., but they never got back to me, I know there must have been lots with alarms going off, but I think when you pay that much $$ to have your basement waterproofed and its guaranteed by a costly pump inspection each year, they should get back to you....
    tt, sorry to hear your mop was hard to move, my DD bought a sponge one that she likes, but I prefer the old fashioned rag mop, have to buy a new one, had used it, put it out in the yard to dry (had it leaning against the back of the house), my DH put it in the trash....he is either misplacing  something or throwing something away, I need eyes in the back of my head.
    Flea Mkt at the Masons this weekend, and then some sale tax free shopping (nothing major) so till the next time take care all and Keep Smiliing, ss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Would you believe I've been out and back?  Yah, for me.  T.J.'s opens at 8:00 so got in there for my cranberries, figs, marinated artichokes, and windmill cookies.  A couple of other small errands along the way done too. --  I know I love fig squares, how do you think fig scones would be?  Might just try them.

Hope DD's back is feeling better, SS.  Mine was really acting up, and then I realized it was that stupid mop I was forcing back and forth across the floor.

Kargiver, what a beautiful color your preserves are - almost look like beautiful plums put up.  Those are going to taste so good this winter when the rest of us are buying canned ones.  Are there plans to do up any other veggies or fruits?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Have been on the phone w/ both DH and DS-UK. All well there. Got a message from the airline to check in - so now that is done. Just have to go to get bagels for TX and treat myself to a pedicure. Haven't decided yet, if I want the toes painted or just leave them as is. Then it is just packing, taking care of my plants (yes tt, you got that right) and to bed early. DS-UK will call me at 4 am to make sure I am up tmw. morning and my SIL will pick me up.  Sounds like I am all set.
    So glad you had a good canning experience, Kar. Sorry about your stained pot. I don't believe it will affect the canning process in the future, but I wouldn't use it as a pressure cooker. There has been some research done about aluminum pots and Alzheimer's. Not good. You can go on the net and check it out. Mom had Alzheimer's and she had several aluminum pots, one of which was her pressure cooker, that blew up. Nothing else was available at that time. She did eventually get rid of them and exchanged them with stainless, but I am still worried about myself. Your canning class instructor is so right. After WWII lots of garbage was produced. Glad we now are a lot more educated in that respect.
    Have several items on my to-do list, so I better get off the computer.
    Have a happy Saturday all - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ss, what a relief to not have water in your basement, but so frustrating to not hear back from the company! Hope that is taken care of soon. I know "tossers" - you DO have to keep an eye on your stuff. ;) tt, how productive! Puts us to shame. I'm still in my PJs, and DH is just driving off with Gracie for their soggy walk. I'll be getting myself together in the next few minutes and setting about to cleaning the kitchen which I left in disarray yesterday to meet SIL on time. There are big plans to keep canning. The peach tree is heavy laden with lovely, sweet, juicy peaches begging to be canned, and there are 1000s more tomatoes coming or so it seems. I might make and can an eggplant spread, too. I don't have to worry about low acid (high spoilage risk) food by canning in the pressure cooker so veggies are safe. Maybe I'll come to enjoy the process more as I get used to it. I can see potential for my looking forward to spending the day at it when it's second nature.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I had the same fear about using it as a pressure cooker since it turned BLACK and the Alzheimer's link...I'm glad you mentioned it to validate that concern. I agree; no problem as a canner, but bad for cooker. I would like to someday get a stainless one, and wish I'd thought of this before I bought a Presto aluminum one. That's the power of branding...sigh. Glad your sons are well and things are coming together for the big TX vaca. I'm procrastinating attacking the kitchen, but it has to be done, and I'd like to have it sparkling when DH returns with Gracie so I don't have it hanging over me all day. So, with that, off I go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My mother and I used to put up jars of peaches, Kargiver.  She was an old hand at preserving and I felt comfortable with her by my side.  Have forgotten everything she taught me now.  We had two peach trees in our backyard and it seemed they all ripened at the same time, more than we and our neighbors could eat, so one Saturday would be spent "putting them up", as she'd say.

Googling around different sites and came upon a fig square recipe, easy one, from Betty Crocker.  Debating whether to make that or my fig scones.  I bought more cranraisins at T.J.'s this morning, so I could make both - fig squares and cranberry scones.  Laughing as I read the recipe tho, they're made in a 9 inch square pan and it says you get 16 bars!!  Not in this household, 9 tops.

P.S.  Eggplant spread sounds heavenly to me, Kargiver.  Never had that.  Have you had it before?  Have a recipe to share?  (not for canning, just making and eating).  As long as my Farmers mkt has them, I'll buy one each week.  Such a difference in taste, and the skin practically melts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I think you did the right thing buying a cheap canner to start out with. You may not have liked it and not wanting to pursue it further, thus wasted your $$ with an expensive stainless one. This pot will be great as a canner, but like I said, just don't use it as a pressure cooker. If you do want a pressure cooker, you can always have two - a canner AND a pressure cooker. I know we tend to collect too much stuff, that are only used once in a while. But it sounds like you will be using your canner a lot, so it is not a lost cause. Peach jam - oh, would I love to have some. With a pretty ribbon - great gifts for the holidays. Your friends are so lucky.
    I am so envious of your yukon potatoes. That's the only ones I buy. Try to have them tiny - just well scrubbed with butter and a lot of chopped parsley. Heavens!
    - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish I had a nostaglic tie to the process like so many of you do. I do remember eating my grandmother's green tomato pickes, but I have no recollection of her making them, and I was far too little to have been involved, anyway (3 or 4?)...oh, well. Maybe I can someday have my nieces come over and can with me when I have a lot more of a clue. :) I don't have a go-to recipe, tt, but I make baba ganoush every year in different ways according to what strikes my fancy from the plethora of online versions. It's a lot like hummus, just instead of chick peas it's roasted eggplant as the main ingredient.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Waiting for you to respond, I googled and see Ina has a recipe and there seem to be many for roasted eggplant with garlic, onions, hers has tomato paste, depending on what tickles your fancy, I guess.  For now, I guess I'll keep making my weekly parm.  Am enjoying that so.

Off to make my fig squares.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo, all good points. Guess I shouldn't feel like a dummy, after all. :) I could definitely make do with a smaller food cooking version sometime, and you can see, the one I have accommodates 7 qt jars at a time, too big for our boiled dinner needs, for sure. Tt, I've made that one, and it's elegant! Well, I loved it, but dh didn't care for the chunkiness. I ended up food processing it to make it smooth...it was still good, but I preferred it as-written.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, get those toenails polished!  Those TX ladies will be decked out with both, you can bet on it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I totally agree with hats, you'll wish you had them done all the way in TX where "the natural look" is not considered a fashionable choice like it is here. You'd be the only one in sandals with naked toenails!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Kar, how can you think yourself as a dummy? You are definitely NO dummy. Everything is a learning process. Now you have ventured into something, you haven't done before. We all have to take first steps. Good for you! As you go along the canning process, you will be so much more comfortable doing it.
    Just a few weeks ago, I was nervous making my Lemonade Pie. Just one stupid dessert. Remember how I bothered you all asking for advice? Now I can do many more.
    I am happy for you with your bounty of home grown veggies, you have learned another way to store them. Asparagus time - how about canned asparagus? My mouth is already watering. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Hats and Kar. I will have my toenails polished. See how valuable this forum is? W/o you I would have gone to TX looking like a dud. LOL
    - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you, my friend! I'm glad the forum help goes both ways. I was feeling pretty down this morning, but you pulled me out of it with all your great points I hadn't considered. The kitchen is getting under control, and the sun is coming out. It's going to be a great day!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Wow, everyone is so busy!
    Pingo--have a  great trip. Sounds like you are ready to go-everything taken care of. Enjoy the time with your family. Safe flight.
    Kar--what a day you had yesterday-glad all was sucessful-both the canning and shopping.  You will be a pro with the canning-it will be so pretty and rewarding to see all that you put up. And great gifts, too.  My lone tomato plant is dead-the little tomatoes that were on it look dried up. Not sure what happened, never saw that before. OH well. Herbs are doing fine, though. Last night I made a Margartia pizza with lots of basil-it was delicious.
    TT-you-errands already done-wow, I am still in my nightgown. DH just had Cheerios(!) and now wants bacon and eggs. UGH. I do like to cook that on most Sundays-he is throwing me off.
    SS-yes, you should have at least gotten a call back. I know there is a good bit of water down my cellar. I am getting new gutters next week-that will help.
    Had a bit of trouble getting on again today-almost gave up, and finally it worked.
    5 times the charm, I guess.
    Interesting about the aluminum-I was not aware of that. I don't have any aluminum pans, but my parents big spaghetti sauce pan was aluminum. We had a lot of sauce out of that pan. Scary. I did have one small aluminum pan years ago, but only used it if all the regular pans were in use-just a small sauce pan for heating canned veggies. Never liked it-must have thrown it out.
    I too hope Amber checks in soon-hope her recovery is going smoothly.