August 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: August 2012

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Icer, what a cutie.  He looks like he's so proud of himself being able to roll over!  How fast he is growing.  Enjoy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tulips, thanks for adding your encouragement for my new adventure in homemaking! I'm very excited about the gift potential, and I'm thankful the seal is easy to ensure did form so I won't risk anyone getting sick. The aluminum, I've read this morning, has been found in higher than average concentrations in the brains of Alzheimer's sufferers, but it isn't known if that means it contributes to the development of the disease or if it is a metabolic byproduct of having the disease...cause or effect? So, I guess that's why aluminum cookware, foil, etc is still on the market...not that that gives me a warm enough fuzzy to cook "open" food in it, though. Too bad about your tomatoes! Was it in the ground? Could have been too dry quite easily this year if so. Your herb pizza sounds yummy. Herbs are more drought tolerant, generally. Icer, such a cute cake and photo subject!!! Funny thing, I read that boiling water with cream of tarter takes the stains off, so that's what I'm doing. As it was heating to the boil, I peeked, and thought it was working marvelously on the bottom right away, but turns out the c o t had settled making the bottom appear white/silver, lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

What a cutie, Icer! Getting big-rolling over, andlooks like quite a little personality.
    He has a twinkle in his eyes-he will be a charmer.
    Kar-the plant was in a very  big pot, which is what I have done the last few years with no problems-other than the squirrells beating me to the ripe ones!
    Bacon cooking-going to fry up frozen potatoes O'Brien, with  scrambled eggs in with the potatoes, Yum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Is that a cake, Icer or just a Photo? Whatever, so cute - he looks just like his old man (your avatar).
    I had to go to the office to do a few things for DH. Now on to get the bagels. Bad timing - the line is a mile long. Can see it from my window.
    Then off to get my feet prettied up for TX - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, maybe it got a disease. Too bad, just one plant can give a lot of fruit you'll be missing! We lose stuff to disease or pests every year. Last year, the Brussels sprouts, this year the parsnips...as of now, anyway; the season is young for the cool weather stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Finished cooking-went to tell DH it's ready, and he is asleep. Oh, well...it will keep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just fell asleep for 10-15 minutes sitting on the couch too.  Made the fig squares, reheated leftover eggplant parm and had that and my cranberry juice/ginger ale for lunch, loaded the dishwasher and turned it on, then picked up Susan Vreeland's book of short stories I'm almost through with, "Life Studies", read one more story, and the next thing I knew my head was bobbing!  Had meant to do some washes before turning on the dishwasher (I don't like to run them both at the same time), so once the dishes are done, I'll do that.

Lady next door is smoking up a storm on her deck today - cool breezes blowing it in my windows.  Funny, G.T. noticed it too when he was working out in the backyard Thursday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Tulips, i admire your patience and equanimity.  You are so good to your DH. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

TT-can I have some of your energy? I have to get busy here-kitchen is a mess, and want to run to the store.
    Why, thank you Hats-I  try, but sometimes he tries my patience! This did not bother me, as I said, it will keep. I will freeze a portion ot two that he can zap during the week when I am at work.
    Gotta get a move on here--mahjong is pulling me, too. I wish the messy kitchen would!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

OK--starting the kitchen by sorting thru a pile on one of the corners. So much mail.
    I am definitely a procrastinator in going thru it.
    Question--do you save your paper bank statements? I think I may shred them, since I could get them on line if I ever needed one-and I have not needed them, ever.  I have finally taken the big step of throwing out utility statements, which I always saved, too, for some reason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My energy today comes from the cooler temps, Tulips.  So glad I kept a couple of squares of the parm when I sent the rest home with G.T.  Heavier than what I usually fix at lunch, but tonight I'll make up for it with just a salad, and toss a couple of those marinated artichokes in it.  Haven't cut the fig squares yet, it said to let it cool.  Am so full, will hold off tasting them until after supper - a little pre-bed snack.

Part of getting the kitchen cleaned up is that one of these 2 days my youngest is bringing over a friend of his to give me an idea what replacing the front stairs with the composite ones, would cost.  So, keeping things picked up.

Only one more story in my book to read - they have each gotten better than the one before - so I know I'll be settling down with that soon.  Dishwasher has shut off, so I'll get some sheets thrown in the washer first.  Stripped the bed as soon as I got out of it this morning so I'd have to choice but to go down cellar and get at least one wash thrown in.  Tomorrow will probably be a slug day when I'll do nothing.  Doesn't seem to me that you goof off much, you're always on the go with this or that.  Enjoy a laid back day if you're having one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up.  
    Good question re the statements.  My bank sends copies of checks on the backs of the statements - I never get the actual checks back, so yes, I do keep mine.  Have just started going through old ones and shredding unless there is a specific one paying for house improvements, appliances, etc.
    The utility bills I keep for the year and shred the others.
    Having pangs with my IRA monthly statements now too.  Have started doing the same with them, keeping the current year and shredding the rest. 

Mail, I do open as soon as it drops through the slot, and discard junk, and file bills for payment in an open bin on top of my desk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Thanks TT-maybe I will start with that-save just the current year.
    I seldom write a check-I pay everything thru my bank on line.
    I was dreaming of shredding paperwork last night! DH has boxes of files from his days in RE-I really have to start going thru them, and shredding . Peoples ss#,, bank info, etc.  A lot are just the legal mumbo jumbo I can just recycle, and not shred, but I need to go thru them, and pull out the parts with client personal info on.I am starting to use the big shredder at work-very heavy duty, but I do not want to put thru the stuff that needs recycling only. 
     OK--NOW I AM going to get busy!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm pleased with my first effort at fig squares from scratch.  What do you think, Icer?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Yummy..That is what I think...The picture of Zachary is not a cake...and yes..I noticed that he(Zach) does look a lot like his Old Man...my avatar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't keep statements because the bank will reproduce any I ever need, and I never do need any...haven't yet, anyway. Those fig bars look divine, tt! Wish I could reach in and grab one...will wait until tonight to raid your kitchen. Dh just picked, washed, and quartered a ton of peaches, and now I'm on my own already to can them. Got camera ready, and, ready or not, here we go, again!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Kargiver.  Just tasted one, and the recipe definitely will stay in the front of my recipe box.

Now that you've already done the processing once, and only a day ago, I'll bet it all moves easier this time around.  Pictures, pictures, please! Then a pic of yesterday's colors and today's together - beautiful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Kar--I am on my way over to raid your garden and kitchen. Then stopping by TTs on the way home for desert.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sharing this experience is so much fun, my dears! Thanks for your interest and encourgement. I've taken photos, but still not done with the process so will wait to post the set. Yes, it's a lot easier and less stressful today, for sure. I wish I'd thought of using the sink for the hot jars; that was SO easy. I'm concerned because I know I have air bubbles in the jars, and I tried to use the air bubble releaser, but it was mangling the peaches! So, I shook out the bubbles as best i could. I wonder if I'll know if they cause a problem with spoilage or whatever bubbles do. The processing is done, and now I'm waiting for the pressure indicator (like a popper on a turkey) to fall telling me it's time to remove the rocker/regulator and vent for 10 minutes. Then, the big reveal and removal of the jars. (Why don't they call it "jarring?") Then, their photo op and they will be left to cool and seal themselves...hopefully. :) DH is stunned at just how much goes into this "easy" process and how long it takes. While he cut the peaches, he was in the kitchen so got to see all the prep work I did in the meantime. I'm SO glad he was here to see it at least once because I can imagine he might have asked me to start on something at 5:00 someday and not understand why I'd say no way, LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Encouragement, made me think of your bees - how are they?  I remember when you guys were first getting and setting up a hive.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, this is really exciting. I am glad you are having fun with it - if this can be fun. Good DH is taking part in it too. To cut and prepare so many peaches takes a lot of time. WS has a very nice peach pitter. I gave one to DIL last year, and she told me it makes the work so much easier. It is kind of like an apple cutter, that pit and divide the peaches in one swoop. Here it is:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/peach-pitter-slicer/?pkey=e|peach%2Bstoner|13|best|0|1|24||2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-#viewLargerHeroOverlay
    Are you making the jam, then preserving it or are you preserving them, to make the jam later? Just curious.
    I took a nap as well. I suddenly got very heavy eyelids, so I thought, " What do I have to loose, don't have to account to anyone." Everything is ready to go into the suitcase. Just have to bag 2 dozen bagels in zip lock bags first. Planning to go to bed really early, so I can get up at 4 again. Will make sure to drink a lot of water between now and then and then another glass, when I wake up.
    If I don't get back on here tonight, wishing you all a great week to come - Pingo

ps. someone asked about saving bank statements. The IRS rule of thumb is 7 years. That is how long they can audit you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, our bees are faring nicely, thanks; it's the new batch we got this May.  But, they never have died on us before February so we'll see how it goes.  We always have hope and do our best.

The peaches (peach quarters, nothing added but water) are done!  And, here are the promised few photos.

Re IRS and bank statements, 7 years is what they recommend, indeed, but that was more important to follow before the bank would easily reproduce what you'd need if you were ever audited.  Before computers it was a big problem, and clients were expected to take care of it themselves 100% - if you lost it, it was gone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful amber color - and together with yesterday's batch, spectacular.  I'd say that was a good day's work, Kargiver.  You should be really proud of yourself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tuliips, I have started playing Bejeweled 3 too.  Your eyes go a little buggy after a while, but it's a nice change in addition to MahJong.

Sections
Shortcuts