August 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Re: August 2012

Kar--just beautiful. You should feel so accomplished and proud of all your work.
    TT--I alternate between Mahjong, and mahjong dimensions. I see a lot of people play bubble blitz, but I don't want to get involved with another game. I did used to play Super Collapse a lot-but I actually got stressed trying to beat the clock!
    Hope Pingo gets a good sleep before her trip !
    Having a little wine, and alternating between a little reading and mahjong. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, I AM pretty pleased and proud that I managed to get this far. The proof is in the opening...can wait for the ultimate confirmation that it was done correctly. The lids all popped down with a fun little "plink!" so I have great hope in our success! Pingo, meant to wish you safe, fun travels. We'll be thinking of you and looking forward to the stories. Hope you are happy with how your toes came out. :) ETA: thanks, tulips! I think I'll join you in what I feel is a much deserved glass of wine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Neighbor just called, so I am going over to have some wine with her. Good night !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have fun! Guess I'll be drinking alone, then, lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I guess you will.  I just had some lemonade and am going to shut off the computer for the night.  Chat tomorrow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good night, tt, have a nice one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am ready to go to sleep. Have to get up early. Your canning looks just beautiful, Kar. Must be such a great pleasure to be able to save all those peaches. Looks like you will have a lot of peach pies to make.
    Re: the bank statements. True, the computer world has made it much easier to keep organized. And yes, you can indeed go on line and get copies. But only for the past year. Anything older than that, the bank will give you for a fee. My bank charges $6 each for older statements. Check with your bank; they are all different. So to me, even though it is a pain in the you know what,  it is worth to save the last 7 years yourself. If you have access to a scanner, that's the way to go. Also, if you have a lot to shred, there are companies that will come to your home and shred it for a fee. They charge per lbs. and are quite reasonable. Nighty nite everyone - have a good week. Hope I can access the forums from TX. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, Hey, guess what, it wasn't a dream - the peaches and sauce are still on the coutner! YAY!!! ;) Huh, I didn't know they'd charge you for older statements; they hae to type in whatever date range...what a scam. Anyway, good to know, and I hope I don't get audited because I don't have anything to show them. Anyway, I know you are probably gone, Pingo, but if you can read this in TX, I think you can log in from anywhere if you choose Register and then log in from the box on the right of the Register screen instead of choosing Log In from the main page. That does the trick for me no matter where I am or what device or browser I'm using. So, I hope it works for your, too! Happy and safe travels, Pingo. How was yoru evening, Tulips, with your neighbor? So nice you have someone to easily get together with when DH isn't up to keeping you good company. You are a wonderful wife, but anyone taking longterm care of another person gets frustrated and neeeeeeds outlets for fun. What's on the docket for everyone today? Not sure what the kargivers are doing, but I'm just glad we have another day together before teh week starts. ~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    It is deliciously quiet here this morning, just a few cars going by, no joggers, and only a couple of dog walkers.  When I first got up the air was eerily still, not a leaf moving, but now a nice cool breeze has picked up.  The rooftop of the house on the corner has to have at least 30 pigeons roosting on it.  They come enmasse and then all fly away again, leaving one lone one perched in the middle.  Are they like the seagulls, coming in because of a storm?  I don't know.

I'm stuck, sort of hanging around for son and friend to stop by to look at stairs.  Probably won't be until late afternoon, but the message he gave was that they would be by sometime this week-end, he didn't know when or what time.  I don't have to be here, but I want to, to ask my questions.

Are you taking today off from your preserving, Kargiver?  Did you tell the friend that helped you with the tomatoes that you stepped forward to do the peaches yourself yesterday?  Hope they're being stored on an open shelf in sight, and not closeted away.  Just  looking at their vibrant colors when you get up each morning can't help but give you a lift.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Aren't preserves supposed to be kept in a cool, dark place?  I think sunlight would at the very least fade the color, and at the most, heat them up to a dangerous  level. 
    http://umaine.edu/publications/4277e/

says

Reason: Improper storage.

• Home-canned foods that are exposed to temperatures over 95°F may spoil and microorganisms can grow at these high temperatures. So, if they are still present, they may grow and spoil the food, or alter the food so that other microorganisms can grow.
    • Home-canned foods stored in the sunlight may get very hot inside, which allows the air in the headspace to expand, breaking open the seal and allowing microorganisms to recontaminate the food. In foods that contain fats or oil, sunlight may accelerate rancidity.
    • If very acidic foods (pickled or fermented products, and some juices) were kept for a long time, the acid may have eaten away at the lid, resulting in pinholes that allowed microorganisms to get into the jar. Discard any home-canned food with damaged or flaking metal on the lid.
    • Lids on home-canned foods stored in a damp place may also rust through, allowing microbes to get into the food.

Solution: Store home-canned foods in a cool, dry place. Date all home-canned goods and use within 12 months.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No plans to can more today - had enough of that fun for the weekend, lol. Dh is out picking veggies to be eaten within a few days including today's lunch and dinner. it's been absolutely pouring this morning until about 20 minutes ago, and now the sun is out...gorgeous. Bet we got a couple of inches today. Everything is right where we left it yesterday on the counter, but its fate is to be hidden away since they should be stored in a cool, dark place. :( it does give me a boost,though, to look out there. I'm tempted to open a jar and see how they are... Hope you don't have to wait long not knowing when to expect them, tt. I hear the water running...got to go get ready for the washed veggies to come in for chopping. If the people who wondered what the heck I'd DO all day only knew, right?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're probably right, Hats.  I'm just coming from a place where I had seen a magazine picture of a shelf in front of a window filled with jars of different colors fruits and vegetables that had been put up.  It was gorgeous with the sunlight streaming through.  Pay no attention to me - I know not where the preserves need to be stored.  Come to think of it, the ones my mother did when I was a kid were stored on shelves in the darkest corner of the cellar.  Kargiver, forget my suggestions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, thanks - we were posting the same fate for the jars at the same time, funny!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Just would not want all that work to be wasted.....wish i had a peach tree....but better not!  I'm too old for all that kind of thing now.  I have ordered new tulip bulbs from Brecks (Dutch bulbs) to replace the ones I planted from them 23 years ago - they lasted so well, but only a few left now.  Will start digging as soon as it gets cooler.  They don't ship until planting time.   I have never had any luck with non-Dutch bulbs.  And the ones from costo - tulips and daffs - only bloomed once.  What a waste of time and money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Those pretty photos are meant to sell canning supplies, I think. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure it was in a food magazine that had been recycled to me.  But of course, you and Hats are right, storing them in the hot sunlight would be the worst thing for them.   I was taken away by the beauty of the picture.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sun's out in full force, now, and dh is mowing the lawn. We got 4 inches of rain this weekend after this morning's deluge. The garden is so happy! I've got to clean the master bath and put a load of laundry in. Then, stuff peppers with cleanse-friendly veggies and not much else. No bread crumbs, cheese, or eggs...sigh. Maybe I'll lose a few more pounds, though, if I follow dh's cleanse diet. I get to cheat though. ;) Gracie's annual checkup is Friday, and SIL is having a pool party BBQ next weekend...not sure which day. Looks like a quiet week in the meantime. Maybe lunch with a friend one day, but I haven't suggested it yet. And, maybe I'll do some eggplant canning. I feel invincible, now, ha ha ha. Wait 'til a jar cracks or we open something that has spoiled, but right now I'm stoked at my relative success at a process that terrified me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Well, quiet day ...not as productive as you, Kar !! I did a load of laundry, and went to home Depot to get a new disposal. Exciting ! Played a loy of mahjongh.
    TT=hope your stair guy came, and it did not shock you with the cost.
    No company today--haven't heard from DS2. Spoke to DD on the phone.
    DH,DS and I had a quiet dinner on the deck-burgers and dogs. DH ate one of each, then had another hot dog about a half hour later. I took that as a good sign that his appetite is coming back--but it must have been too much, because it all came back up.  Poor guy. His spirits were good, and we had a nice relaxing time out there. He seemed like his old self, so that was nice. He is planning on going on a friends boat on Thursday. I told him to make sure he wears a life jacket, since he is weak in one side. He said,If I fall in, maybe I will just let this old body go, and started laughing.. It was funny-I told him, just dont jump in.     Oh well...laugh when you can about it ! I hope the weather is good-he will have a good time out on the ocean. This guy has been his good friend since they were born. He is lucky-we are lucky-to have great family and friends. 
    Dr apt for me tomorrow-my thyroid is all out of whack again-took a while to get this appt. Back to the routine tomorrow...Hope Pingo is enjoying her vacation so far. I hope Amber checks in soon, too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best wishes for mr. Tulips as he adjusts to less medication. Good to have a good sense of humor...lifts the spirit and the body often follows. And, best to you as get thyroid back under control. Stress is tough on our glands. Hope everyone had a great weekend...I'm poooped and need a break!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Up bright and early today.  A lot planned to do.  Running here and there to stores I don't usually get to.  I have a list made with each store's name and things I want to look for under each heading.  Now if I just remember to take it with me!

Tulips, glad to hear your husband is feeling a bit better.  If he's someone who always loved the water, I'm sure his outing on his friend's boat will be a great day.

I'm curious when you say your thyroid is out of whack - how do you know?  I've been on thyroid meds for years and the only time I ever noticed any difference was when I felt I couldn't get out of my own way.  Then it would be time to increase the dose a little, and I'd see quite a difference.  Obviously, mine is underactive.

Woke up starving this morning.  Might think of some eggs, wish I had some bacon in the freezer to go with.

Harry's in for a surprise this morning.  Ran out of his turkey and giblets, so his plate with have what  he has turned up his nose at before, Cheerio's favorite, beef.  It's his fault I ran out tho, was giving him half a can like I do Cheerio, but then noticed he'd be back mid morning looking for more, so now give him the whole little can.  Maybe I can get out this morning before he shows up.  His turkey is on my list to "to get".

Hope you all have a good day. - Oh, tulips, son and stair guy never showed up. I was out for a bit Sat morning and again last evening, but I'm sure my son would have left a note.  Wow, Logan keeps changing their incoming landing paths, and one just went over now that sounded like a bus coming up my driveway.  Hope you all have a good day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Argh, hard time posting today.

Had a rough weekend. Either I got a stomach bug or a bad reaction to a new med, but I couldn't even keep water down.  The last thing I need!  I was able to keep toast and a V8 down this morning, so hopefully that's a good sign, as I am back at work.  Sigh.  Always something. 

Kar - your canning is so impressive!
    Hope Pingo has a safe trip and we hear from her from TX!
    TT - any verdict on your stairs?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Taken through the screen, so poor quality but you can get the gist of Harry's disapproval  this morning -

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Princess, sorry to hear of your stomach upset.  I'd check with the doctor.  This may be a reaction he has seen before with your new med.  Feel better.

No price yet Princess, on the composite stairs and what they would cost to take out cement ones and install.  Will wait a couple more days.  Have a name SS gave me of local mason too, so will give him a call in the meantime and get a price from him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

G'morning, all, Here it is Monday, again...bummer. It's so empty here without DH... tt, Harry must not have heard the saying about beggers not being able to be choosers, lol. That picture says it all. GL with your full day. Perfect weather for anything on anyone's agenda. Princess, so discouraging to go from the frypan into the fire with your health. Hope you get this hurdle under control soon and can build up weight and strength. How can you be at work today?! Thanks for the compllment on my canning. :) I've got quite a few things on the to-do list today, too, mostly housecleaning tasks. But, I've got the regular Monday morning stuff to take care of first, and, as usual, I've got to bolt! Later, ~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Looks like everyone had a busy weekend.  Looks like a lot of work Kar, but your peaches and tomatoes look great. 

tt, that Harry likes what he likes.

AFM, I went to Foxwoods yesterday, really to play bingo.  They give you $15 in free slot play.  I won $96 with their money.

As for Bank statements,  If you get something called an e-statement (electronic statement) you can download them to your personal computer and they will be there.  As for banks, if you have online banking they will keep these statements for you for 6 years.