August 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: August 2012

By the way, tt

Dont know if you noticed, but you are approaching the 10,000 post total, which is a milestone number for any message board user

In honor of your achievent, I would like to stage a forum wide contest in which everyone guesses the date you hit the 10K mark and the subject matter of your post

Here are my guesses:

Date: September 21

Subject matter: A mild complaint about log in issues, minute details of what you had for lunch that day, and a quick mention of the previous night's Real Housewives episode

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ache, I'm touched that you even noticed - I hadn't.  Are the other girls near that mark too?  I'll have to give a look/see.  And, to stage a contest in my honor - my hand is clasp over my heart, and I wipe a tear away from my eye - -

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Not sure about the others, although I think Kargiver is approaching 20K

She is a bit of a message posting freak

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@ Ache,  is there any advantage to posting a lot?  Are you more valued by BDC as a member?
    I think I read somewhere that advertisers pay according to the # of posts a site gets to post those annoying ads,  just curious.

Also, I value your opinion, as I assume you are out there doing something highly productive in the real world!   Do you have a Nook?  What do you think of them?  Can't make up my mind if I need/want one for reading 2-3 books a month!  Thanks, Robin

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

Not sure about the others, although I think Kargiver is approaching 20K

She is a bit of a message posting freak

That's because I can multitask - I can post with one hand and eat bon bons in the other!  We former engineers are good like that.  

Got to go put the tomato sauce I made from our fifth 25 lb haul of tomatoes this year in jars and process them...yum, it smells gooooood in here.  No more photo capability, but maybe you saw my August handiwork in this thread?  Canning ROCKS!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you really crack me up. I multitask too, and I am not an engineer, even though what I learned through our business, you could call me one. The only thing I cannot do is stamp the drawings; I don't have a degree and a license.
    I post while browsing, while using the adding machine, eating lunch, talking on the phone etc. I have two screen at my office btw, so that makes it feasible. Unfortunately, it looks like BDC has lost my "cookie" - so I haven't been on workdays.
    5th 25 lbs. of tomatoes? That's really awesome. Do you make your sauce, before you can or do you just can the tomatoes and make the sauce later? Just curious.
    - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, the iPad is a beautiful thing as far as having it wherever I'm working. 

Hm, well, I sort of make the sauce first.  Not much of an answer, but here's the rest of the story.  As you probably know from your canning adventure with your DIL, acidity is the key to boiling water bath canning safety (along with proper heat and timing, of course) so adding too many veggies like peppers, onions, or God forbid meat, would make the pH too high (not acidic enough) ancontents abuse spoilage.  So, I make a half sauce by washing, paring, cooking, stick blendering, mashing through a colendar to remove seeds and skin, and reducing thevolume by half with garlic (not enough to mess up pH).  Salt and lemon juice is added to each quart before filling.  When they get opened, I cook whatever we want to go in the sauce and reduce it for 15 minutes for safty  as per the USDA guidelines.  (sorry about the italics, can't turn it off if I hit thebutton by accident on the touch screen.)  

I have them in there, now, coming up to a rolling boil before I can start the 45 min.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

@ Ache,  is there any advantage to posting a lot?  Are you more valued by BDC as a member?
    I think I read somewhere that advertisers pay according to the # of posts a site gets to post those annoying ads,  just curious.

Also, I value your opinion, as I assume you are out there doing something highly productive in the real world!   Do you have a Nook?  What do you think of them?  Can't make up my mind if I need/want one for reading 2-3 books a month!  Thanks, Robin

Ive never thought about it before, Robin, but I doubt the Globe values members with high posting totals more than it does members with low totals. I really have no idea though

I dont own a Nook or a Kindle or any e-book device. I think theyre cool though. I say go for it!:)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's because I can multitask - I can post with one hand and eat bon bons in the other!  We former engineers are good like that.  

Got to go put the tomato sauce I made from our fifth 25 lb haul of tomatoes this year in jars and process them...yum, it smells gooooood in here.  No more photo capability, but maybe you saw my August handiwork in this thread?  Canning ROCKS!  

[/QUOTE]

It also helps that youve never been banned:)

Your photos are generally excellent. The composition and the angles...it seems like you put a lot thought into each picture

Must pain you not to be able to post them anymore

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ache - I do enjoy the camera and your appreciation of the shots.  Just adding to the banter (I never see them as particularly artistic, lol), and yeah, it stinks to not have the capability.  My tomato sauce is a gorgeous color and all the jars are properly vacuum sealed this morning!  You'll have to use your imagination, but I know that's more than enough for you to picture them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robin,
    I never wanted a Nook/Kindle. I love to hold the books in my hands turning the pages. But my son gave me a Kindle, while I was visiting him. And l love it. Never thought I wold say that. Right now  am reading 11/22/63, and it is a heck of a lot easier to use the Kindle han dragging that huge book around. I always carried a book with me to read while waiting in line or at the doc's office etc. The Kindle takes up no room in my pocket book.
    I am also a Prime member on Amazon and can borrow "books" for free.
    Don't know anything about the Nook and what bennies come with it.
    Could you borrow a friend's and see if you like it? - Pingo

In response to Robin39 comment:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@ Pingo,   Thanks,  I'm going to poke around Radio Shack and check them out soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

By the way, tt

Dont know if you noticed, but you are approaching the 10,000 post total, which is a milestone number for any message board user

In honor of your achievent, I would like to stage a forum wide contest in which everyone guesses the date you hit the 10K mark and the subject matter of your post

Here are my guesses:

Date: September 21

Subject matter: A mild complaint about log in issues, minute details of what you had for lunch that day, and a quick mention of the previous night's Real Housewives episode

[/QUOTE]

I see my guess of 9/21 was way off

Thanks a lot, trumpet

I bet you deliberately slow posted the past two weeks just to make sure I didnt win

What a lousy thing for you to do

I'm not gonna forget this...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't know if you've noticed, Ache, but they've stopped the count on postings - mine, yours, everyone's.

All your big hoopla about a contest too, never saw any more about that.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

The ladies didnt seem interested, so I thought it wise not to push it.

Not one of them bothered to participate

I can lead them to the contest, trumpet, but I cant force them to take part

PS One of the few things still functioning on this board anymore is the posting total. It still works, trumpet, so dont give me any of your excuses

Just admit you slowposted me, because you didnt want me to win... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You promised a "forum-wide" contest, Ache, not just my small community.  Besides, if you were the only one participating, how is that a fair contest?  Rigged, is what it is.  And, I don't know how to slow peddle, as seen by some of my babbling posts, one after the other.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

I'm the only one who participated, trumpet, but that isnt how I drew it up. I thought the ladies here would be happy/eager to get involved. Youre the focus of the contest after all, not me. I'm just the event organizer. Not my fault that every single one of the women willingly chose not to join in

Their non-participation btw reflects badly on them IMO. I'm surprised you arent offended by it and didnt take their apathy as a personal insult. (Maybe you do, but just arent saying so publicly)

But the ontest technically is still open. You havent hit the 10K mark yet. So if any of your "friends" here want to take a belated guess...give it your best shot, ladies

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Hi Ache,  I'm probably on ignore in this territory, however I would like to make a guess.

November 22, 2012 at approximately 10am.

I am going to go watch "In the Weeds" on This TV at 7pm, looks like it might be at least good enough for me to get my elliptical bike routine out of the way for today!   Later, Robin

PS:  Don't forget DWTS  tomorrow 8pm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Hi, Robin

Thank you for your guess. I hope you win

You must subscribe to my ""tt slow down" theory, because you have her averaging just barely over one post per day, which isnt much

Wanna bet she increases her rate exponentially now just to spite you? Just like she slowed it to spite me

trumpet likes to play mind games sometimes. Not one of her more flattering traits IMO...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

BTW:  Channel 5 is coming up with a new over the air channel next month  http://metvnetwork.com/programs.php    just what we need, more reruns!  At least it's free.

Sorry, off topic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Their non-participation btw reflects badly on them IMO. I'm surprised you arent offended by it and didnt take their apathy as a personal insult. (Maybe you do, but just arent saying so publicly)"

I hadn't thought of it that way, hmmmm, I wonder if it's me or you they're insulting by staying away?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

It's nearly impossible to insult me. I am sure most of them know this by now, so the target of their snub has to have been you. Perhaps they are envious of your lofty status in this forum?

That must be it...

But whatever. The fact none of your pals showed any interest is surprising, no? What is wrong with them? Just a foolish little contest after all

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think it has something to do with "guilt by association"?  Does that make sense?  Not association with me, of course, but - - well, you can figure out the rest.

Anyway, the fun of it all has been spoiled by your lack of publicity of the contest, waiting until now, the eleventh hour, to mention it after your initial announcement.  Afterall, we are busy ladies, some of us withoutside jobs, most of us with extended families we have to cook and look out for, soaps to watch (you know how that is, afterall you have DWS), and I  have my shopping and hunting for the bargains tucked away on the backs of store shelves - and then there is my exensive gardening (the butterfly bushes, you know).

You might as well declare yourself the winner, since I don't think there'll be any other participation.  I have no idea what "prize" is at stake here, but it's a sad victory when it's been rigged in this way in your favor.  With the holidays coming, perhaps you'll come up with a more organized contest we could all take part in.  Maybe a rhyming game, I'm good at that, and the girls have joined in a rhyming day I held in the past.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ache,
    This has nothing to do with non-participation. But the month of August is long gone. I don't  read the old threads on the chat. I just happened to see tt had posted on the August thread, when I opened the Chat this morning, and was curious as to why she would post on the August thread. You should have started a new discussion.
    Ok, to make you happy, I will take a guess: November 13 any time during the day.
    Now tt, you can help me win here, by manage your posting, so the 10,000 fall on Nov. 13th. That you could do for an old friend. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it has something to do with "guilt by association"?  Does that make sense?  Not association with me, of course, but - - well, you can figure out the rest.

Anyway, the fun of it all has been spoiled by your lack of publicity of the contest, waiting until now, the eleventh hour, to mention it after your initial announcement.  Afterall, we are busy ladies, some of us withoutside jobs, most of us with extended families we have to cook and look out for, soaps to watch (you know how that is, afterall you have DWS), and I  have my shopping and hunting for the bargains tucked away on the backs of store shelves - and then there is my exensive gardening (the butterfly bushes, you know).

You might as well declare yourself the winner, since I don't think there'll be any other participation.  I have no idea what "prize" is at stake here, but it's a sad victory when it's been rigged in this way in your favor.  With the holidays coming, perhaps you'll come up with a more organized contest we could all take part in.  Maybe a rhyming game, I'm good at that, and the girls have joined in a rhyming day I held in the past.

[/QUOTE]

Trumpet, three things:

1) With all the excuses youre making the last few days, no offense, but youre starting to sound like bostondottie. Is that the kind of reputation you want for yourself around here? I would hope not

2) A contest around the holidays is a great idea. One problem though: It's my busy time of the year. I'll be preoccupied putting together  the RoyGBiv Winter Freak Festival (the 2nd biggest event on the Biv Year calendar...taking place in January). Biv fanatics across the nation and around the world are depending on me. If I try organizing a contest in here at the same time, I may spreading myself too thin

3) Ive already declared Robin the "tt 10K" contest winner. Way to go, Robin! Please step forward and accept your prize