August 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2012

Winter, probably was - Keane Masonry from Wakefield.  My cousin's cousin spoke very highly of him.  Sounded very nice on the phone.  Keeping my fingers crossed as to the price he quotes.

Happy Birthday to Yoda!  Someone should send him the card I got for my nanny friend - picture of a cat that says, (pull tab).  It moves its mouth and sings in a cat voice "Happy birthday to you" - - -and so on.  (she has a couple of cats).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I couldn't resist.  One of his first pictures.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that is the place we used.  He was great. His quote was reasonable as well and he was honest about other stuff that could be done down the line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Great, Winter.  Two great reviews for him.  Thanks.

Look at the difference in Yoda's manner in this year.  He's grown into a confident cat that looks you in the eye.  I'll be honest, when you first got him, I was afraid he was sick, he looked, not scragly, but just dedraggled.  Shows what a loving home can do for an animal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy birthday to Yoda!! What a difference and, yes, isnt it so true how happy and healthy pets are good indicators of the love in one's home...they can't fake it or put on aires.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Catching some more of fox 25's visit to Abington - they just interviewed Martin's Restaurant.  what a nice feeling you get watching and listening to this program this morning.  The young man who was in that terrible accident last year was on too, and he's an inspiration to everyone.  Want to watch some more, there's a nice feeling to this town.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt and Kar.  He has come a long way.  tt, I was a little worried at the beginning too.  I made it through with all the advice you all offered.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YODA

Happy Birthday to you - - -
    Happy Birthday to you - - -
    Happy Birthday, dear Yoda - - -
    Happy Birthday to you !

Love, from Cheerio

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh Yoda will be so happy to hear from Cheerio.  He misses seeing her pictures.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi ladies!!
    Long time, no chat! I have a dog-related question, and since many of you have dogs, I thought you could help. There is this one spot in our backyard that my dog keeps rolling in, and then he STINKS! I went over to look and I didn't really see anything. Did an animal die there, pee there? Why does he keep rolling in that spot and how do I get him to stop?? I don't want him dragging something disgusting into the house, especially with a new baby. Any tips would be great!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning - as promised:

Will post the recipe later. I forgot about the right side cut off, but I hope it posts ok. - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh Pingo, that looks lovely. 

Liz, congrats again on the new little bundle.  I've never had a dog so I can't offer any suggestions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, that's absolutely GORGEOUS, Pingo! What a masterful job you did - no wonder it was a crowd pleaser for a difficult crowd. :) Liz, I haven't tried this product, but I am a faithful and happy Only Natural Pet customer. Check this out; I'd assume it is enzymatic and would work on smells besides what it claims it eliminates. I'd be very generous with its application and would do so when rain is not in the forecast for awhile. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/NaturVet-Yard-Odor-Killer/198004.aspx

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Liz  Dogs love to roll around on the ground/grass, it might only be because of the scent of an animal that recently walked through. 
    Anyway, I've never tried to stop them because they enjoy it so much, just give him a nice brisk brushing before he comes back into the house.
    The only time I say "No" is when they roll around in dusty sand. 
    I don't go to dog parks or woods,  and I pick up all feces immediately from the back yard and mow the lawn low, once a week,  so I'm not worried about a dead worm or two.
       PS: The more perfume shampoos and sprays you use, the more they'll try to wipe it off by rolling around.  A dog likes to smell like a dog!
    It's not just dead animals they like to roll in, but anything that smells unusual or different to them.  
    They don't do it all the time, but like I said usually when they've had a bath it's the first thing they do is run out and roll around trying to get the new smell off!           ~~~~~

Dogs roll in many things they like the smell of to cover up their scent. The question is why would they want to do that? .One theory on rolling on stinky things is that this comes from their survival element from when they were not domesticated. Dogs use to have to hunt for food and there is a tactical advantage to not smelling like a predator. The prey don't know you're coming. Rolling in strong odors -- feces and even dead animals -- is thought to provide scent cover, to help predators land their lunch a little more easily." Dogs will roll in items such as: feces, dirt, worms, grass. Female dogs will usually do this more often than males.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_dogs_roll_on_worms#ixzz22UclvAit

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Happy birthday to Yoda and to tt's DS. Can't believe, how much Yoda has changed in one year. Such a beautiful cat.
    Winter, I hope your eye is better. It didn't sound like you had much fun yesterday at work. Must be so painful.
    Liz, congratulations on your new baby. Boy or girl? I don't have any doggie advice for you, but I am sure Robin/dog-lady will chime in. That is certainly a stinky problem.
    Kar, I am glad you posted that picture. It is giving me an incentive to do the cleanse and work hard to get off the extra pounds I am carrying around (guess no more Lemonade Pie for a while). When will you be leaving for NH? Are you staying over? Despite BIL, it should be nice at the lake. Hope you have a pleasant trip.
    Re the pie. It was one of the most amazing desserts, I have ever made. Rich, but still so delicate. And the result looked like I had been sweating over it for hours, which couldn't be further from the truth. Except for baking the crust for 15 minutes, no heating up the kitchen. I was amazed, how easy it was to cut. That was my worry. To take out a solid slab, that would't accept a knife.  And after you "defrost" it, it still stays firm for quite a while. Normally, I would have presented the cake at the table and cut it there, but I did take tt's advice to plate it in the kitchen. Which was good. I messed up the first slice royally, but I served it to myself covering the mistakes with the raspberry sauce.
    I also made a baked corn casserole, I got from the Food Network. It was really good and easy to put together. Will post that recipe sometime too. The corn are so sweet and delicious right now.
    Have no plans for the weekend right now. But I am sure DS will want to do some shopping. And one of the days - probably Saturday, I am going to cook lobsters, since I cheated him the last time, he was here. It is a bit messy undertaking to eat, so we like to sit outside on the deck, but if the humidity stays, it will be an inside party this time.
    Hope to get a note from Amber soon. Hopefully she is recuperating well on schedule.
    Blessings - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a beauty, Pingo!  That makes a scrumptious looking dessert.

Congratulations, Liz on your new addition.  Hope both Mom and baby (and Dad too, of course) are healthy and getting some sleep.  lol

ETA:  Haven't had dogs for many years, but I know what you're saying, Liz, mine all used to find the stinkiest stuff (not visible to the eye) to roll in.  They would come in smelling like rotten fish.  No idea what it was they found, and boy, how they loved it - no so much us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, you can treat that spot and probably be all set; I think most of us gathered you weren't talking about the whole darned yard, just one trouble spot. Maybe some people enjoy letting their stinky dogs smell up their homes, but I'm with you. I don't perfume Gracie, but she doesn't smell bad, either. Pingo, I'm glad my posting the pic encouraged you, too! Pounds do creep on so easily, and as a diabetic that's more than just a cosmetic concern, as you well know. I'm here for you! We are going up for the day on Sunday. I'm trying to focus on the positive, not the least of which is the fact that it's just for one day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

And, one of the best points being - - The Lake - -  You've posted pics of your inlaws place before and it's absolutely gorgeous.  That was you, wasn't it?  The big place with the dock right on the water?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Why Does My Dog... Roll in Stinky Stuff?

While veterinary behaviorists aren't sure why dogs like to roll in rotten and stinky stuff, many believe pets mark themselves with their most "prized possessions" in an attempt to show them off to their two-legged and four-legged friends. For a dog, wearing stinky stuff is like wearing the best designer-label scent.

While dogs have millions of scent receptors that humans don't, they are polar opposites when it comes to putting stuff on their skin. People like smells that are fresh, floral and fragrant. Dogs prefer dirty, dead and (to us) disgusting.

Forget trying to prevent your dog from rolling around in the stinkiest things imaginable. For you, it's foul; for dogs, it's divine. With thousands of years of practice backing their interest, dogs will continue to go boldly where no man, or woman, would ever choose to go. The only surefire way to stop the stinky sniff-and-roll is to keep your dog on the leash or teach a foolproof "come-hither" when called.

This article was written by a Veterinarian.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Pingo-pie is scrumptious looking-great job.
     Enjoy your lobsters with DS.Kar--hope you can enjoy your trip.
    Liz--congratulations on the new baby.
    And happy birthday to TT son, and YODA!
    Sweating bullets here getting last min things done.  Have a great weekend, all !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, good memory, that was me...yeah, they have a nice place for sure. Tulips, glad to see you before you go. Looking forward to hearing all about your getaway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, I can't stand when he smells rotten...yes he is a dog, but I don't want him to smell so bad that I don't even want to pet him!

Thanks on the congrats, I had a girl, Courtney Alison, on July 12 :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Lunch with birthday boy, DIL and me went fine.  Subs all around, one that he had been wanting to try.  Foxwoods is still a possibility sometime this week-end.

Not much of a show today, Icer, did you think?  Of course, I just caught the last half hour.  Where did Victor go?  Do you think he fell off the horse on his ride?  I guess Ashley must be being written out.  I liked her character, but today really seemed like her farewell.  We'll have to start all over again next week now and see where it takes us.  Maybe he's taken off again somewhere on one of his retreats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In Response to Re: August 2012:
    [QUOTE]Liz, you can treat that spot and probably be all set; I think most of us gathered you weren't talking about the whole darned yard, just one trouble spot. Maybe some people enjoy letting their stinky dogs smell up their homes, but I'm with you.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

"Maybe some people enjoy letting their stinky dogs smell up their homes"

Cute!   I don't know anyone like that,  who were you referring to?
       Gosh!  Sometimes dogs are just trying to scratch their backs when roll around like that,  you could try brushing him more, maybe he's itchy (I meant Liz's dog).  

@ Liz I bumped up an article in Pets for you  "Kids Breathe Better with a Dog in the House."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Unless of course the child is allergic to dogs.  My son would not breathe better with a dog.

Sections
Shortcuts