August 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August 2012

Thanks!  (You can see the peppers in the middle that were the stars of the dinner.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I had a tomato sandwich for lunch today.  Altho I have been eating way too much the last few days with so much socializing....I need to stop all the snacks.

I wish the cool weather would move in for a while so I could get the laundry done.  Our cellar is a hot one, rather than cool.  I remember hanging out in the cellar of my childhood home on hot days, sitting on the stairs and feeling the cool of the fieldstone walls. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, posting now while I think of it - just saw that Iams cat food ad with Yoda - TLC.

Hats, too bad your cellar is warm/hot.  Mine is nice and cold and you know I never could convince any of the animals, cats or dogs, to go down there in the hot weather.  I've posted before that my best cellar memories are of my Uncle Charlie's who lived right on the water on the Point in Winthrop.  He was married to my father's sister and we would visit him once in a while after supper.  Like my Dad, he had  his workshop down cellar, and I just remember loving the damp, smell when we went down there. Once in a great while when I reach the bottom of my cellar stairs now, I'll smell that same smell and immediately say, "Hi, Uncle Charlie.  Are you here?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Thanks for the tips on browning chicken (and other foods).  Yup, probably I do turn them too quickly, so I'll resist the urge to 'check' them and just leave them be.  But we don't use the dishwasher for our pots, nor do we use non-stick spray - I use olive oil mostly or canola oil if I want something with no flavor of it's own.  But I do turn fairly quickly, so I bet that's the problem!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Something else that helps is a little coating of panko or regular Progresso bread crumbs. No big deal, just toss in the crumbs (no egg was or anything necessary). It adds very little in the way of calories, but protein is a lot more sticky than the browned crumbs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Kar--those veggies look delicious. I am jealous! 
    Winter-hope your contacts came in so your eye will be better.
    Took DH for his check up-Dr and he decided to take a few weeks off the meds to get his appetite and more energy back. I think he feels better already!
    I use  cast iron pans-they become almost non stick after a while. I do have one giant non stick pan that I like-it is a cuisinart my mom picked up for me at TJX. Mainly, I was always afraid of them-I didn't liket all the non stick surface coming off years ago on some cheap ones I had, and that did me in.
    Tired again tonight-that weekend did me in, I guess !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tulips, reach in and grab some veggies, we'll share.. :) Those cancer drugs are a killer in and of themselves...I hope a break from them gets your husband's strength up so he can tolerate them better, again. The off-gassing of the dangerous chemicals in non-stick pans is a thing of the past, I believe. Pans that are safe in that regard will say so, anyway, and I think at least most are ok, now, Teflon is a no-no, but they use inert materials now so no need to avoid non-stick. I like cast iron, too. And, now that I know how to avoid sticking, I'm a big fan of my stainless steel sauté pans, but I made a mess of those for a long time before I watched how to use them on the food network. I learned everything I know in the kitchen from that channel...my mom wasn't big into cooking. No time with being a single parent working long hours to support us, and, as I've mentioned, she had heart surgery at 50 to repair a quarter sized hole in her heart she'd had since birth that had silently sapped all her energy until then. Cook? Yeah...right. Anyway, I discovered the food network, and here I am spending 1/2 my time in the ktichen! Speaking of heart surgery, hoping Ambergirl checks in, again, soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Off and out early this morning.  Will check back in later in the day.  Hope there's a post from Princess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning! I fear she was checked in...she knows we're looking for her. So difficult to know a member is ill and not have a way of getting an update. Ambergirl, too... Great day for errands and kalooping. No big plans here except to take gracie for a longer walk. The humidity gets to her, too, so when it's dry we have to take advantage! Dh is taking Thursday off to work in the garden...he enjoyed being in nh Sunday, but we lost a day the weekend before, too, and now he's behind. Tomorrow I'm having lunch with the triplets dad! Cannot wait to hear his perspective on extreme fatherhood, although, he's an amazing person and great dad to his two year old so I'm sure he's taking it in stride...if that's possible. What is the stride for triplets????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hi Guys, I am back!  Haven't caught up on posts, but thank you all for your concern.  I did have to go to the hospital.  I wouldn't admit to anyone how badly I felt.  After I went for more bloodwork on Sat, my doc sent me to the ER.  All of my electrolytes were so low, but especially my red blood count.  Unfortunately, I needed 4 pints of blood.  I hate having to do that, but I feel so much better. 

It's good to be home - thank you all again for your  concern.  I hope to catch up on posts today! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Couldn't resist this early morning shot of Harry that shows how long he is -

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  It's back to the usual cool workpalce, which is great.  tt,have a good morning doing your errands.  Kar, sounds like it will be a ncie lunch.  I too am thinking about Amber and PC, hoping they are doing well.

AFM, my contact won't be in until Wednesday since they have to make the hard leneses to order.  I won't be able to pick it up until Thursday since the office has an early day on Wednesday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, so glad you are feeling better and wish you wouldn't hide it when you're in serious trouble. I did that at 7 because we were going to Disney. I hid that I was vomiting and had diarrea that morning, got on the plane, and spent a week in an Orlando hospital instead of Disney so I get the drive to do that, but I learned my lesson. If you needed 4 pints... Please take CARE of yourself...you deserve to get the care you need when you need it. Thanks for checking in and letting us know you're ok, now. So sorry you have to go through this regularly. Any news on how Tillie is doing? Winter, that must feel like an eternity, but at least your office is comfy, again. That must help at little. Tt, his tail is the longest domestic cat tail I've ever seen! He looks good. Pingo, this is the good bye day...hugs!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

One last peek before I dash out the door - didn't see your post there when my pic came up, Princess.  So glad to hear from you.  I know you dread the prospects of perhaps having to go to the hospital, but I don't understand why you wait when you are obviously feeling so punk.  Better to go sooner and not have to have so many transfusions, don't you think?  Anyway, enough of my "mother scolding".  Glad to have you back on the boards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, bet you can' wait for that lens to be ready.  Keeping my fingers crossed that your vision hasn't been impaired.  Chat later, I really do have to go now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Just a quick "hello". Busy morning. Giving DS a haircut before he leaves (have done that since he was a kid), then have lunch ready by 11:30, when Dad will come home and then we will all leave for the airport after lunch. Good I don't have time to be emotional. But it won't be a good afternoon getting back from the AP.
    Princess, glad to see your post. We were worried here. Sorry you had to be admitted, but glad you are feeling better now. 4 pints of blood? Your hematocrit must really have hit the bottom. Take care all - have a nice day.
    - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

PC, sprry I missed your post. Hope you are feeling better today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

princess -

So sorry you had to go to the hospital.  Please feel better and take care of yourself.

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wowie cupcakes in oven - lunch was an ear of corn, a delicious warm sliced tomato and cuke.  But now, I need my chocolate.  Cupcakes will allow me to have some left for G.T. when he comes Thursday.  Bought a beautiful fat eggplant today, to make parm for our lunch that day.  Peaches and baby spinach that looks delicious for a salad, rounded out my purchases.  Now tomorrow I'll just shop for the fill ins.

Hope you saw your son off alright at the airport, Pingo.  Hard to say goodbye, no matter how old they or we get.

Hope you have a great lunch with the triplets' Dad, Kargiver.  Nice you can get together.  Scanning back I see that's tomorrow not today.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So, DS is on his way and as usual, it was a difficult good bye. But that is life. He has an exciting job and is happy over there, that is all that counts. I could use a couple of those cupcakes, tt - to sweeten me up.
    I scooted up to TJ's on 114 this morning for an item, he couldn't get at Rt. and wanted badly. I saw a huge banner over Kane's "1 Million Dollar Plant Sale". Do you know tt, what's going on? Are they closing? First time ever, I have seen that.
    - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Your haul of produce is making my mouth water tt. What time Thursday should I come over for the eggplant parm? HOw was your quote, way off or more inline to what you thought?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Lots of plant sales going on this month. Pingo.  I wish I were inspired to dig some holes and add more perennials to my garden, but I am not!  Not in this weather!  I do need to buy some new bulbs for fall, though.  Tulips in red, orange and yellow make such a cheery display in the spring.  And the iris need dividing, but going to a beach and/or seeing friends and relations trumps yard work!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hadn't been by Kane's so didn't know about the sale, Pingo.  Maybe G.T. will want to take a run out there Thursdy.  I only have him for a few hours, he has a very early evening meeting.

The mason did not get back to me last night, Winter.  I'm assuming (there's that word again!) he didn't have a chance to price supplies and work out a price.  Probably tonight I'll hear from him.  In the meantime my youngest son called today to say to hold off making a decision til next week anyway, a friend of his builds houses and is quite taken with the prepoured stairs they have nowadays.  He will stop over sometime this week-end when he is visiting my son to give the stairs a look/see - to ascertain if they are fixable to last another 10 years, or what the prepoured stairs might run me for material and his labor.  Never hurts to get a few ideas and estimates.  A thousand dollars saved is worth more to me than the masons.

Got to leave these raspberries alone - I've nibbled my way through half the box.  Glad I finally got the ambition to make the cupcakes - had 2 this afternoon and can wait til 6:00 now for supper - whatever that will be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for your well wishes for lunch - it's today, actually, and I'm really looking forward to it.  The Dad and I have been friends since 2001 and our lives have changed dramatically in the last 11 years.  And, with the arrival of their triplets I've got to say they are "ahead" on the big changes score and (hopefully) we have no chance of ever matching it, LOL!!!

I'm thinking about doing a little shopping on the way to lunch, and I'll definitely stop at TJs, although, with DH starting his cleanse tomorrow there isn't much I can buy with his lunches in mind.  All garden, all the time for him...could be worse. ;)

So, I suppose I need to get my self in gear if I want to do errands on the way.  Have a wonderful day, everyone.

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I've been sitting here for an hour, scooting here and there, doing a little posting on another site where I thought I could be a little helpful, and my stomach is telling me it's time for breakfast.  Shoes I ordered in Lynn last week are in, and I have a few, very few, things to pick up at the grocery store.  Otherwise will prep things around here a little, make a bowl of tapioca for tomorrow, something G.T. likes but doesn't make because partner doesn't.  Talked for an hour on the phone last night with a friend who is having a lot of illness/death among her close friends.  Sad reality to life.

It's very quiet here, save the cars going by and a handful of joggers. Love these peaceful, cool (for a change) mornings.

Pingo, my shamrock has made a valiant return to life, BUT, there is infestation in the soil - teeny flying insects which I'm afraid will infest my other plants.  I may just stick it out in the shade and see what happens to it naturally.  Bag of soil I used to repot it I also dumped around some of the other plants too - may be very sorry I did that, altho tapping them I don't see any indication of the little pests.  Maybe they were in the root system of this plant itself and that's what happened to it before.

Off to find something to eat - certainly NOT wowie cupcakes which I've already had 3 of since I made them yesterday!  Chat later.

Sections
Shortcuts