August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August 2013

Maybe I should open one and make sure with some vanilla ice cream for dinner!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yum!  I have no ice cream in the house,  can't trust myself not to eat it right out of the carton.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Alas, I don't either...same reason!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh TT don't tell me that, because my friend is away right now and I can't go without her and I have to work and ....

I've not been keeping ice cream around either, but when one makes one blueberry pie a year one must have ice cream, I think. DH eats a variety that is not my fave so I often keep it for him, but if I buy what I like, he won't eat that so I just don't buy what I like and that solves that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, DH likes vanilla best, and I could leave that in there until it was freezer burned and we had to toss it...hypothetically, that is - DH would eat it all in one sitting (making himself ghastly ill) if we had any.

ETA: Except with the preserves for some odd reason - maybe because it turns it into peach ice cream!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well, that's the trouble with vanilla ice cream, it is such a vehicle for other things.  Like bananas and caramel, or chocolate syrup and brownies, strawberry, blueberry or apple sauce, any kind of pie, cookies (maple cookies, snickerdoodles, hermits, choc cookies, thin mints, coconut bars, almond windmills - dutch name speculaas - shortbread, any other kind of GS cookies, etc.)  So I try not to buy vanilla, or any kind of caramel/dulce de leche, coffee or chocolate, peppermint stick...I like a lot of kinds of ice cream, unfortunately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

Oh TT don't tell me that, because my friend is away right now and I can't go without her and I have to work and ....

I've not been keeping ice cream around either, but when one makes one blueberry pie a year one must have ice cream, I think. DH eats a variety that is not my fave so I often keep it for him, but if I buy what I like, he won't eat that so I just don't buy what I like and that solves that.

Good morning,

Well, you know how it is, Hats.  They get way ahead of the seasons.  Their Halloween section is all set up, and Fall decorations, I sort of whizzed through there except to buy a yellow towel with a black cat to hang on my oven door handle.  I mainly went for those gel stickums, and thank Gawd they keep them always in the exact same spot.  So easy to miss.  I love them myself, and keep a couple of purple bats and multiple sizes of black birds on my back windows - under the pretext they are there to keep the birds from flying into the windows!  I think the kids know tho, the real reason is that I just love them.

As for ice cream, I will eat any flavor.  It's the coldness in my mouth that I love.  Used to hate vanilla, then found French vanilla, now I'm not picky at all.  Don't dare buy peppermint stick or frozen pudding, because usually those are Brigham's that come in quart sizes and I easily could sit down with a spoon, watch TV, and eat my way practically all the way through the container without stopping.

My cousin is taking me out for a late birthday lunch.  Called last night, and I'm free today, so off we'll go.  Told her my clothes laundry is way behind, so Gawd knows what I'll be wearing.  She doesn't care, I'll dig around in the pile of things in the closet and find something.  Lots of capris in there but I'm really low on clean tops.  Rainbow decked out tt, here I come!

ETA:  Just reread your post where you plan to go the end of Sept. for Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff - - - - my Gawd, woman, by then all they'll have is Christmas stuff!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I better tell DH that the Halloween stuff is already at CTS. He loves Halloween and decorates the outside of the house, the neighbors LOVE it. Oh I love peppermint stick ice cream. Eddy's makes one too, it's a close second to Brighams.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, have a nice time at lunch. Isn't your birthday in March?

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

tt, have a nice time at lunch. Isn't your birthday in March?

- Darth Vadar

Yes, we're a little late.  When we get together and  have lunch I haven't felt right letting her pick up the tab if I've chosen an expensive place to eat, and had a drink and dessert to her only entree.  I won't put up a fuss today tho, just won't have the drink - but maybe dessert!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh ok makes sense. I thought I was loosing my mind. DH's birthday is in March and I really thought yours was too.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Happy Birthday --- again, tt. Nice of your cousin not to just forget about it. Enjoy the lunch.

Re ice cream. My DH is a big ice cream fan. Me not so much. I have made my own for a long time, so I can control the fat and the sugar. I only use milk and half'n half, and have found a way to make it as creamy as the store ones loaded with fat and sugar. Besides I can make specialty flavors. Right now I have Ginger ice cream and Saffron/Cardamom ice cream in the freezer. For you, who eat the entire carton in one sitting, Hagen Dass has come out with small 1/2 cup servings. I buy those once in a while. They don't break your calorie bank. If 1/2 cup is not enough, you can eat two and still stay reasonable as far as calorie count is concerned.

Kar, I envy you those peach preserves. My DIL do them, and I am hoping she will bring some when they get here at the end of the month.  She doesn't flavor them though, but I will mention to her to try. Yours sounds delicious.

So we went to Whole Foods yesterday after all. DS insisted. The parking lot was full, but the store was not bad at all. DS had a ball there. They had beer from all over the world - and some more. He picked several of his favorites. They had several different kind of pumpkin ales/beer. And wine galore. The store is huge, but well organized. tt, your CL is right - the fish counter is expensive (well, everything is). $14.99 for cod and $18.99 for scallops. Was I ever glad I had my striped bass at home. But they had lobster tails on special for just $5 a piece, so I picked up 3 for tonight. We will either grill them or broil them. But good old TJ's, MB and S&S do not have to worry; they will not loose me as a customer. Can't afford to shop exclusively at WF. Maybe for specialty items, but not in general.
    Their flower section disappointed me. They come from Winslow Farm. But everything was so expensive and their roses looked like they had seen better days, so I didn't even bother to look at the price.
    One thing I might go for is their counter of marinated meat and poultry on nights, when I come home late from work and have forgotten to take something out. It will still be less expensive than going out for dinner.
    But whoever said, that you can't go there w/o leaving a $100 bill behind, is right. We were close.

tt, The Paper Place has opened up right next to WH. They were giving out $5 coupons in case you are interested.

Hung out w/ DS all yesterday and skipped the office. So I must go today. Hope you all will have a great day.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, pingo, but I would not brave crowded parking lots for that coupon.  When I park I look for a "drive through" so I won't have to back up.  I love to go in and browse the paper store, but seldom buy anything except cards there.  Glad you got a chance to go out to Whole Foods with your son anyway.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, mine are low sugar made with Pomona's Pectin (Amazon), and the tested (safe) recipes are from a cookbook based on that particular product, also from amazon.  I think DIL will LOVE both a box of Pomona's and the cookbook.  We both love both jams so much that I stock piled 12 boxes of PP. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks so much, Kar. Was trying to scour my brain for what little extra to have for her, when she gets here. Perfect - especially if she brings me peach preserves. Thanks a million!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay, you're welcome!  

The book is called "Preserving with Pomona's Pectin" by Allison Carroll Duffy.  "The Revolutionary low-sugar, high flavor method for crafting and canning jams, jellies, conserves, and more"

The recipes I've made are "Maple-Vanilla-Peach Jam" page 59 and "Honeyed Ginger-Peach Jam" page 60.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

DS went with DH on a construction site. I am ready to go home. Will grill lobster tails, corn and make campfire potatoes tonight. Hopefully the weather cooperates. It looks quite overcast here.

How was lunch, tt? Where did you go?

Have a good evening everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What a busy little afternoon. tt, hope you had a wonderful lunch. Hope everyone has a nice evening.

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, looking forward to the birthday lunch story, tt.

indeed, a busy afternoon.  Was balancing the checkbook and couldn't account for a check that seemed lost.  Finally found the answer, but it took most of a stressful afternoon.

Pingo, enjoyed (enviously) your description of Whole Foods.  I can relate to your craft beer loving DS. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, it was a nice lunch, however, not a "birthday" lunch.  The word "birthday" was never spoken when we made the plans last night, I assumed this was it.  You know what they say about when you assume something.  However, I did not make an a** out of myself.  Simply reached for the check when it came as soon as I saw she wasn't going to.  We split the bill as we usually do.  Had a delicious piece of grilled salmon and afterwards we stopped by the Sea Meadow, but for the first time I can remember, I came out of there empty handed.  I think so much time has gone by since my actual birthday, that she has forgotten we never celebrated.  She's forgiven.

Went by Brooksby's Farm and picked up a beautiful eggplant (all this talk from C.L. about the one she breaded had me drooling!), and a half peck of what they call "early cortlands."  Then back to my cousin's for a couple of games of Spite and Malice - each winning one game.  Got home after 5:00 and settled for a Celeste pizza for one for my supper, along with a piece of apple pie and whipped cream.

Tomorrow is lunch with my Swampscott friend.  She has a place in mind for lunch, but couldn't remember the name of it when we made the plans.  Nice week, plans 3 days in a row - C.L., cousin, and friend.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm sure you're right - she has no idea your bd was missed.  Nice you had such a lovely time and meal.

our eggplants are just getting ready; DH picked the first few yesterday, and they are slated to be baba ganoush by the end of the day tomorrow.  He's taking tomorrow off.

I had intended to go pick up the hood today, but my checkbook mystery kept me here.  Maybe we'll pick it up tomorrow and go to lunch somewhere in Worcester.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Feels like Saturday to me with DH home, sipping a cuppa and watching our favs in the DVR.

hoping town friend can come by today or we can get together somewhere.  Maybe we'll be able to get the hood togehter; DH doesn't want to given the to-do list he has for himself (not a Honey-Do list, mind you!).

TGIF, friends!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to reindeergirl's comment:

In response to kargiver's comment:

[QUOTE]

Rdg, I don't know where LL is...

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/relationships/blog/2013/08/hes_moving_here_to_be_with_me.html?comments=all&page=8&sort=OLDEST_CREATE_DT#go-to-comment-19960942

[/QUOTE]

Rdg, I read this and agree she can use good advice, but I have a sense that while she asks for that advice, she's in love and will do what she's going to do regardless.  It will be a ridiculous, "Thanks, but..." argument I'm not interested in having.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Did not expect to be on this morning, but when I couldn't open my emails this morning, and spent a good hour going in and out, trying everything, had the good sense to call Comcast where I got an automated message that they were having trouble with their email service this morning and were working on it.  So, of course, I have to do some "chatting" somewhere!

Expecting a call from "Eliot" letting me know what time frame my mattress will be delivered tomorrow.  He's already called once to check that Sat was still OK for delivery, and I got a card in the mail from him "thanking me" for my business - talk about customer service!  haha

Looks like a comfortable day out there.  Got up at 6:00 and so saw Harry.  I do think he spends the night here and if I'm not up by 6:30 or so, heads up to C.L.'s.

Hope you get your hood today so husband can hook it up, Kargiver.  Sometimes when we let those things slide, it goes longer and longer - I speak from experience about my kitchen ceiling light that needed replacement for 2 years!  After a while I never even noticed that the shade on the light was not there.  Do love this new one tho.

OK, off to the ironing board again.  Still haven't thrown any washes in, so I'm about down to the bottom of what's in there that is suitable for going out to lunch.  Yesterday wore my white capris and a green top that has silver studs in it (a gift which definitely doesn't look like me!).  Hoping for some simpler top today.

I'll check in later.  Have a good day everyone.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry about the email trouble, but glad it got a post this morning from you, tt!  

Ah, yes, the hood.  It's going to be a huge project - removing the microwave, cutting a 10" hole in the wall to the laundry room, combine the dryer and hood vent, getting everything to the outside.  I have every expectation he'll do it because we have spent good money on it...too much to let it sit in the box, lol.  However, it will have to wait until the garden slows down in the Fall lull before Winter tasks ramp up.

White capris are totally in this year - even my mom wore them this summer and looked great!  I never would have imagined she'd pick them out.

Sections
Shortcuts