August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: August 2013

Good morning everyone. Kar, nice that DH is home with you today. My DH has a self imposed given list to do, he needs to paint a section of the house and our retaining wall. Our bedroom finally needs to be painted as well, it's the only room left to paint.

tt, glad we got a post from you this morning. Hope you go somewhere nice for lunch. Glad you got to see Harry. Yoda has been talking alot, this is new from him. He never meows. All fine and good except it's not really necessary in the middle of the night.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Why were you surprised at your mom wearing white capris?  They've been "in" for years as far as I'm concerned.  Think they look so neat.  Of course with me, I'm so short that capris with their little side leg slot, are almost down to my ankles!  haha  Did find another top that I had the foresight to iron yesterday when I was doing the other ironing, green of course, but "a simple frock"!

I'll wait another few minutes and then give my friend a call to sure we're still on.  She's pretty good about writing things down in her appt. book, and we made this date a couple of weeks ago.  Anxious to hear in detail, about her son's Fla wedding.  She's quite a few years older than me and does well, I think, to do this traveling - tho her dau did go with her.

I understand completely what you're saying about the project involved in putting this new hood in.  Lucky your DH is able to take care of that himself.  Would cost you a pretty penny, I imagine, to hire someone do it.

Still can't open individual emails and it's driving me nuts, because I can see them there and who they're from.  Don't usually have problems with Comcast.  I'm surprised by this this morning.  Verizon was a totally different matter, always had "outside wires" problems with them, or at least that was their story.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Too funny tt. I had huge problems with Comcast, was glad once we were married and together that DH mentioned getting Verizon.

- Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I can just imagine you sitting there waiting for a "Happy Birthday!", tt. Looks like your cousin has completely forgotten that you never celebrated. You were one classy lady NOT to mention it. Glad you had a good time nevertheless.
    Hope you get your hood today, Kar. It will finish the project, when you get it up. Did you still use your microwave oven after you got the stove? If you did, you will certainly miss it. I don't really use mine much, but glad to have it. Like last night f. ex., when I had to melt just a few pats of butter for the lobster tails.
    Speaking of witch. We never got to grill. DS went for a run. It was too hot during the day, so he waited until 6:30. By the time he got back (after 9 miles) it was already dark out and the mosquitoes in. We have a "moderate warning" in our town - not to be out after dark, unless we have to. So I baked the corn and broiled the tails. Nice dinner, but we all agreed that my steamed lobsters are so much better. We will probably have a lobster party, when other DS and DIL gets here.
    Have a nice lunch w/ your friend, tt. Can't you wear, what you wore yesterday? Sounds like a nice and comfortable outfit. I have some ironing to do, and I usually don't mind, but in this heat I am not much for it. Put a white load in this morning. Now have to fold it. Amazing how much difference 3 people makes compared to two. 
    Will probably go to Costco and TJ's today w/ DS. I need to pick up a few staples and he wants to stock up for his trip back to UK.
    Have a good day everyone. Will check in later.

ETA. And another thing I would miss my microwave for is softening butter for baking. I always forget to take it out. Otherwise by the time the butter is soft enough, I would have gotten myself into another project, and no baking being done. LOL
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway

- Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just talked with my friend, and I'm surprised by the place she chose - not at all where I thought she would be headed.  Will tell you where when I get back.

Pingo, I'm sure your lobster was delicious.  I haven't had any this summer.  Don't want to cook it myself, and haven't stopped by CC in Peabody to see if they have any.  Never even thought to check the lobster prices at The Village yesterday.  I'm almost as fond of salmon, so usually head for that or scallops.  Haddock I can do as good a job myself at home as they do in a restaurant.

Winter, I remember your saying before how you had exact opposite situations with Comcast and Verizon.  Think it does depend on the outside wire conditions in different areas.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, surprised mostly because she's 5'2" and thought capris made her look shorter.  And, she's been  heavier and thought anything bright white on her hips wasn't flattering to her shape.  Since she's slimmer now than she has been since 1978, she's become bolder and more confident with fashion.  :)

Pingo, I was happy without the microwave the year before we got married.  I do use it because it exists, but remember well how life was without it and am looking forward to returning to that microwave-free lifestyle.  If I change my mind, we can remedy it somehow, no problem.

I don't care for lobster cooked in a dry manner - some taste from the shell is imparted, I think, ruining it for me.  Grilled is just as awful imho.  But, everything is relative - I'm from Maine, land of boiled lobster so that's how I'm used to having it.

Still quite cool here and breezy, too.  However, I'd still hate ironing, lol.

have fun with DS, Pingo, out and about.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wedoct just shared in Pregnancy that she lost the baby.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I m not from Maine, but I agree with you in regard to cooking lobsters. This was the first time I tried broiling or grilling them. I like the recipe I use for steaming them. I got it from an old lobster man in Bar Harbor many years ago, and have used it ever since. The stores will cook them for you, but doesn't even come close to the sweet taste, I get. He told me, one of the most important things is to remove the rubber bands. They give a bitter taste, when you cook them. Not many do, and the stores definitely do not. Easy enough to do. I hold the lobster by the tail and snip the rubber bands off with a pair of sharp scissors, just before I dump them in the pot.

I don't follow the Pregnancy thread and don't know Wedoct. My thoughts go to her. Just can't imagine, how heart breaking that must be.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, I, too, do it the way you do, and now I'm hankering for a good lobster!

wedoct was part of the Wedding group a few years ago...thought maybe people here might know her from that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello.

Home again, home again, jiggety jig.  Friend had wanted to go to the Tides in Nahant.  I don't really like their food, and told her I had just had seafood yesterday, how about Chinese?  We ended up going to SuChang's.  She doesn't read Chat, so I feel safe posting, so sad when you see someone you have known for years, failing.  Conversation was very hard, sentence to sentence she couldn't always remember what had just been said.  She's quite a bit older than I, but says even her dau said it's scarey how much she's slipped.  Her sister had alzheimer's, and I'm wondering if they have done any testing for that, but of course, did not bring it up to her.  there are plenty of other closer friends and fam around to ask that question.

On a cheerier note, hope you all have a nice happy week-end.  I'm waiting in tomorrow for Eliot, and then on Sunday is the 12 year old's birthday party, which I just emailed my DIL about AGAIN, to see if they want me to bring anything.

Definitely will cook eggplant tomorrow, much too full to have it tonight.  Probably just a salad for supper.

I do not read the pregnancy thread, Kargiver, so did not know your friend from there.  Sorry tho, that's such a hard loss.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Since I grew up in Lynn, we used to go to Nahant Beach and went to the Tides.  When my boys were young, used to go there on a Fri night as a treat.  Memories of my youngest at age 3 dancing on the table to the encouragement of other patrons - or at least we thought they were encouraging him!  Had lunch there a couple of years ago and did not care for the food.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I used to work new SuChangs. Sorry your friend is failing tt. Must be so hard to see happen. The birthday party is for Lily's brother right? Don't you have one that is turning 13 and going into the 7th grade like my DS? Starting to think about what to get him for his birhtday, tough age. He has been asking me for $80 sneakers since April, maybe I'll surprise him and get him those. Previously I've told him now way, so he's stopped asking.

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry to hear about your friend's decline, tt - does she live alone?

Roasted up our first batch of eggplant and just finished making a huge batch of DH's favorite spread, baba ganoush.  Came out good, thankfully - always an experiment, lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I'm sure your son would love those sneakers - nice surprise gift.  My grandson is turning 13 in October.  For Christmas I got him Michael Jordan flip flops that his father told me he wanted.  One of his best presents, to hear him!

Yes, Kargiver my friend does live alone.  She still drives to stay a few days to her friend's down the Cape.  Doesn't seem to have trouble driving - drives like a bat out of h*ll, but has always driven that way.  It's more thoughts/conversation/thinking of words.  She realizes how much she has failed.  Would like to suggest next time we get together that I pick up lunch on the way and eat there, but she does go out a lot.  Gets insulted when like today, I ask if she would like me to drive.  Had to keep asking me, now, which way do I go to get there?  All I was saying was not difficult, "straight, just keep going straight."

I won't be alive when I'm her age, so not concerned.  Longevity doesn't run in my family, and I plan on stopping driving long before I get to her age.

ETA:  Just saw a grandfather, father, and son headed down toward the pond with their fishing rods.  Hope they are doing catch and release and not planning on eating anything they catch in there.  Saw the two older men a couple of days ago, headed down there too.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, if you do decide to spring for the shoes I'm sure he'll both appreciate it now and remember it forever as a special gift.

tt, she's in the heartbreaking phase of anticipation with enough wherewithal to know what's happening...again, so sorry.  It's troubling she had to keep asking how to get there - makes you wonder when she'll get lost and not know where she is at all.  Scary.

Longevity runs in our family, but not Alzheimer's or any other mental decline, comfortingly enough.  My great-grandmother was sharp to the end at 101 as was my grandmother in her 80s.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

edit/error

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, no sentiment attached, Robin (saying too bad, she might have enjoyed going there for sentimental reasons - even tho you've deleted your post)  she is a Mblhd girl and never went to Nahant Beach.  Didn't know her way back then, only met during the last years of my work.

She got her clam request last time we went out, I took her to where she wanted to go, the Clam Box in Ipswich, so this should have been my turn to pick where we ate, yet I still let her choose which Chinese place.  I was opting for a different Chinese restaurant.

Called my Fla friend when I got home.  told her her ears should have been burning because we had been talking about her at lunch and the time she came up from Fla, meeting us where we had lunch today, and I had the waiter take a pic of the 3 of us - my we looked much younger even those short couple of years ago!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hi all, I took a day off - caught up on errands and slept for about an hour in the afternoon, then went out to dinner; I feel good now but here's it's the middle of the night and no one else is around to post.

TT, I am sorry your friend is failing.  It must be very sad for you - you'll have to come up with excuses so you can drive now!

Just realized that my car needs to be inspected this month, so that's a job that will have to be done next week; I don't usually leave it that late in the month. 

Lovely weather today!  hear we have at least three more nice days on tap but my flowers need water - will have to do something about that tomorrow am. 

TT I have not had my yearly clams yet; but I should not be eating any seafood anyway so if I don't get them this year I can chalk it up to virtue not lost opportunity.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Got up to a cool morning a few minutes ago and see she's at it again - deleting her posts, so subsequent posts by others don't necessarily make any sense.  I think if someone is going to decide not to post on these threads, then don't post.  This posting and then deleting when one doesn't like the response is a sign of what - - - I'll have to ask the psychiatric therapist in our family.

Have to get around, dressed, and bed stripped for delivery of new mattress this morning.  This is the kind of morning I would love bacon and choc chip pancakes, but don't know that I have time.  Window of delivery is 10-1, and somehow I always seem to be the first delivery in these time frames.

Hope those around this week-end have a good one - those away too.  I'll be around today, so will peek in later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

A new mattress is so exciting; just thinking about the improvement in sleep that a new one always bring me is so tempting!  But the durn things are so expensive for a large bed...if I were rich I'd buy a new one every year.  Hope you don't have to sit waiting for long, TT!  BTW I agree with you about the Land of OZ posts - remember Dorothy said in great puzzlement  "people come and go so quickly here!"  One might feel the same way.  There are two people I am set to ignore, and it is better that way.  Consider it.

I forgot to tell you guys about one road trip I made this summer that was one of the most delightful days ever; Portsmouth NH and Strawbery Banke!  I liked Portsmouth better than Rockport and Kennebunkport!  Delightful stores, we had lunch overlooking the harbor at the River Cafe, and Strawbery Banke was a wonderful historic village right in walking distance - the admission price was much lower than that at Plimoth or Sturbridge - 17.50 (-1.00 with AAA discount) and good for two successive days.  A real bargain.  Highly recommended.

Well, another road trip today so I won't be round til tomorrow, hope you all enjoy this wonderful weather.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, what kind of mattress, tt?  So many new technologies out there to choose from.  So exciting!  It's 9:55 - is that the doorbell?

It's generally a sign of classic passive aggressiveness born of extreme insecurity.  I've had to learn about these things the hard way to deal with my biological father (not the "Dad" I've talked about).

I have fond memories of my step-mother walking with me across the bridge from Kittery to Portsmouth when I was visiting my father, afore mentioned, in the Summers to enjoy Strawberry Banke.  Glad you discovered it, hats!

Gotta sign off - DH talking about hood... :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Posted a long post earlier - but it disappeared???
    So, that is Eliot, tt - your mattress. I thought I had missed something. Even looked at the weather, if I had missed hearing of an upcoming hurricane - LOL. Like Hats, I would love to have a new one more often. But they are s-o-o-o expensive. We are due for a new one though. The one we sleep on right now, is our son's, bought at Ikea. He only used it two years, and ours were 10 years old. Would never have thought of Ikea as far as mattresses are concerned, but this one is one of the best ones (for us anyway), we ever had. And it doesn't empty your bank account. May go that route again.
    So sorry to hear about your friend failing, tt. So heartbreaking to watch a friend decline. We have been going through a similar experience for the past 2 - 3 years. Our friend and his wife is now living in an assisted living facility. She could no longer take care of him alone. Thankfully, they can afford it.
    My mother had Alzheimer's. But her 4 sisters and my grandmother did not. So it is not necessary true, your friend will have it - just b/c her sister did. Hopefully that is true - it is such an awful disease. I have been tested, and my cards look good. But then again, one will never know. I have been told, this disease has a lot of environmental factors, so I m trying to do the best I can.
    Hats, we have been to Portsmouth several times, but never to Strawbery Banke. Does that need a two days stay? Looked it up and it is something, I would love to do.
    Kar, good luck w/ your new hood. Sounds like DH is eager to get it up, despite all the yard work.
    What a nice surprise birthday gift for DS, Winter. I hope you will be able to give it to him. I admire you for not giving in so easily. Too many parents do. This is why we have a generation of entitled children.
    DH is playing tennis and DS went for a run. I am doing laundry (yea, exciting) and will prepare lunch in a bit. Stuffed portabella mushrooms and quinoa salad.
    Enjoy this beautiful day!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Eliot has come and gone - 12:30'ish.  Wasn't planning on buying a mattress the day we went to Jordan's, just wandered into their sleep lab because I couldn't find a kitchen set, so hadn't done any research.  Now, of course, that I've bought a Simmons, Beautyrest memory foam gel, google and see there are all kinds of complaints about both the mattress and trying to resolve problems with same at Jordan's!  So, we'll see.  Was talking about it with a friend this morning and he said, "Oh, it will probably be fine."  Like that attitude!  I'll let you know, friends.  One complaint said that a wife told her husband after sleeping on it for 2 weeks, "You look like you're lying in a coffin!"

Finally connected yesterday with GD who said she was all set for tomorrow's birthday party, didn't need anything.  When I told my son that this morning I heard a big sigh, so I said, "Well, I think I'll make a big tray of lasagna and bring it out anyway."  He said he'd be watching for me and the lasagna at 1:00!  Just ran up to S&S and got ingredients so I wouldn't have to run out tomorrow.

Beautiful day to be doing most anything.  I'm going to have a dish of Friendly's orange/lemon/rasp sherbet and see what's on TV.  Have already done a couple of washes this morning while I was waiting for Eliot, so I'm done for the day.

P.S.  I've never been to Strawberry Banks, Hats, and I don't think Portsmouth either.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I hope for you that your mattress will be fine. It is a big investment.  Will you be able to return it, if you don't like it? Friends of ours had the worst time w/ Jordan's.

Funny, I can relate to your son sighing, when you mentioned that your GD was all set. The younger generation celebrate differently than you and I. A few years ago we were invited to our twins first birthday. Like you, I asked my niece, if I could bring anything. No, she was all set. So the day came, and it was blizzard conditions (February). The birthday party was still on. So we braved the snow with our gifts. Yes, our niece was all set ---- serving cup cakes, she had picked up at a bakery around the corner. No tea, no coffee, no drinks, no chips or other munchies. Never mind food. Just cup cakes. These are the same people, that come to our home for all the holidays and other celebrations, going home stuffed.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt