August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: August 2013

Right, but the places we are talking about often purchase damaged goods, truck loads that have tipped over or whatever.  So, they may have been exposed to extreme temperatures, dented cans ...

I am just saying,   there is a reason stuff is marked down or cheap. 

I take a chance myself and buy some of that stuff.

It really is best to avoid canned foods as much as possible anyway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm heading out in a few. I hope everyone has a nice evening.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I hope to be here tomorrow, Winter, making a supper of sauteed chopped green pepper and tomatoes, adding cooked white rice and the remains of spinach (canned), and then topping with mozzarella cheese to melt.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just had a wonderful chat with dear trips'/3yo mom friend while finishing up the processing of the pickles.  (Talk about stamina, she's super human.) For any canners out there, I made Emeril Lagasse's Homemade Sweet and Spicy Pickles with the cucumbers...HIGHLY recommend.  Just a tad spicy with an overall flavor reminiscent of Wickles (which are hotter).  I know not to vary the pH by changing the amount of ingredients, but I think I'll double the dried peppers next time; it's a scant tablespoon in a large pot of vinegar and sugar.

DH is staying overnight 1/2 way home - too tired to drive safely all the long way home.  I suggested this plan and am pleased he's not pushing it.

I always seem to miss you in time to wish you well for the evening, Winter, but I'm thinking of you.

Wish we could share the pickles.  The recipe said 4 pints, and I got that plus 1/2 cup I had to put in the fridge to eat soon.  Don't think that will last long!

ETA: tt, did you make your pickles?  I didn't get to my second batch of pickles.  Tomorrow, I guess.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

i did make my pickles, sliced the larger of the two cukes (seedy) into halves then quarters, they look like  the half sour deli pickles you get with a Reuben!  I'll let them bathe in the jar for a few days before trying them.

In my trip out to Costco this morning picked up a humungous bag of assorted candies.  In among them are Worther's which I never particularly cared for, but had one on the way home and it tasted pretty good.  Nice assortment of different mnfgrs'.  Usually don't keep hard candy other than pops, because of the little ones, but brought the last of those out to the cookout Sunday.  Not expecting any kids for a while, so opted for this assorted bag of goodies.

P.S.  Supper was darn good.  Trying to clean up odds and ends from fridge rather than let them get pushed to the back and forgotten.

Millionaire Listings on tonight, looking forward to that.  I think Wednesday's are the last day in the week when there is anything on past 8:00 that I like to watch.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats and Robin, I agree with you both to a point. I used to buy special food items from mentioned stores. But I have been burnt twice buying food items (once at CTC and once at Job Lot), that had an off taste, even though there was still 9 months left to the expiration date. When one have to throw them out, it is no deal. So now I do shop for other items, but don't get tempted to buy anything edible or drinkable.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, tell DIL about Emeril's Sweet and Spicy pickles; maybe you'll be fortunate enough to taste these. ;)

tt, great job pickling, too.  I had to cut a few fat cukes down the middle, too, but mine were sliced into 4" chips.

Worther's is one of the hard candies I do like.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Those look good.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!

ETA:  aborting the "double the hot pepper" plan - just tasted some from the 1/2 cup that didn't get processed and, whoa, the flavor developed in the fridge.  I can't imagine how spicy the actual processed pints came out!  They were in the canner 20 minutes...yikes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, your dinner sounds very good. Nice looking pickles Kar, wish I could have a jar. I've bought Gold Fish crackers from CTS and they were fine.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter, I wish I could share, too...sort of, lol.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

tt, your dinner sounds very good. Nice looking pickles Kar, wish I could have a jar. I've bought Gold Fish crackers from CTS and they were fine.

- Darth Vadar

And I just opened up some cheese its from CTS and they are fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Nevermind/delete

I just can't understand why anyone would consume goldfish or cheez-its.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone - wow, I can post.  I can hardly ever post from work, though I do read up on the posts.

Mmmmmm  - pickles.  TT - I also love the 1/2 sour ones!  And Kar - I love anything salty and spicy (sweet, no, but salty, yes)!

Looking forward tot he long weekend, though we don't have any real plans.

I'm hanging in there with my health, and DH has surgery scheduled for 9/30.  We're getting there!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Princess, glad to hear from you.  You must have agreed with recommendation from consultation your husband had re his hand.  Sorry he has to go through the operation, but will keep him in my thoughts and prayers for resulting complete use of his hand again.  Good to hear also, that your health is maintaining a steady pace.

So glad I did errands yesterday, particularly at Costco, got up to a damp, dank, Thursday morning.  Definitely a baking day.

Kargiver anxious for you to taste the batch of pickles and see just how hot and spicy they turn out.  I don't remember any batch of my aunt's coming out just exactly as the one before, there was always a little different taste to them.  That's what made them interesting.  Writing about them, my mouth is salivating - I can see and taste them.  How we treasured that jar she always gave us when we came back from a week's vacation there.

Was going to do some poking - for nothing in particular - today, but unless it warms up a bit, I'll scratch that idea.  As always, plenty of washes to do, I'm either awfully clean or awfully dirty, by the looks of the how fast that wash piles up!

No Harry again this morning, but checked with his "other mom" and both cats were there last night eating, so know he's OK. 

Have to think of something good for breakfast - only have 2 eggs left and I'll use them in baking today.  Did make a bowl of custard yesterday afternoon, and sampled it last night.  Love that, just plain, no pie crust around it, custard baked with a little sprinkle of nutmeg on top.

I'll check in later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

So good to wake up to see you, Prin.  do you like Korean Kimchi?  That's salty and hot...I'm going to get into that next.  My aunt (chiropractor/nutritionist) said fermented food is particularly good for what ails my DH.  Not sure why, but I think it's the natural probiotics.  Anyway, before going hog wild I bought some from TJ's for him to try.

tt, I'm eager, too, but we'll probably hang on to them...or not, I don't know if I can for long, lol.  I love your reminiscing about your aunt's special canned treasures.  I felt the same way about my grandmother's green tom pickles.  I think they always come out a bit different since the actual main ingredients change with every batch - weather, ripeness...it all affects texture, sugar content, etc. 

ooh, custard, one of my favs.  I eat custard pie without the crust if there is one, I just scrape it clean.

I need to eat, too...and make coffee.  Gracie slept in 'til 7:30 this morning so I pretty much just got up, a perk of DH being away.  He'll be home this afternoon.  I need to make the zucc pickles I wanted to do yesterday and clean the house.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Nice to see a post from you Princess. Hope you are feeling better and hope that DH's hand is as good as new after the surgery. tt, I think it's supposed to get better today, weather wise. How was the mattress last night?

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Damp and foggy morning. Such a change from yesterday. Looks like they are expecting rain and thunder showers over the weekend. That will dampen many peoples last of the season pool parties and our lobster party as well. We can of course always eat inside, but it is much more fun out on the deck.
    Your pickles sounds and look delicious, Kar. My pickles preservation consist these days of slicing mini cucumbers, bring leftover juice from bought pickles to a boil and pour it over them. They are good.
    Nice to see your post, princess. Glad to know, you are hanging in there. Best wishes with your DH's surgery. It this going to be the last one or are there more to come? You mentioned, he needed several.
    Not sure what we are doing today. I worked late last night, so I can skip the office, if I have to. DS may want to do some more shopping.
    Have a good day all.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Good morning everyone. Nice to see a post from you Princess. Hope you are feeling better and hope that DH's hand is as good as new after the surgery. tt, I think it's supposed to get better today, weather wise. How was the mattress last night?

ETA:  Cigarette smoke drifting in the window - neighbor next door - on her enclosed porch/room with windows open.

- Darth Vadar

I'm sleeping better each night, Winter.  Good night's sleep last night, of course, I've switched back to decaf too, so a combo of both I guess.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh tt, so sorry about the cigarette smoke, that would really have me upset.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My cigarette smoke ended up in the wrong place, Winter.  Went in and tried to correct it, but it wouldn't let me post and then kicked me out so I had to login again.  Still have to login at least 3 times a day.

Well, I'm off to the kitchen.  Some checks to write out and get to the mailbox, and then the whoopie pies, and the washes going while they bake.  Was going to run to S&S but starting tomorrow they have double coupons even $1 ones, so since I have some baggies and a couple of other $1 coupons, will wait and take advantage of those.  Invited my C.L. neighbor up for tea, but she is trying to cut down as much as possible before her appt. next week.  Told her we could just have "tea", but smelling chocolate is not conducive to that!

I'll check in later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ummm... because Cheez-Its are the best snack food ever!!  Just saying.  =)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That stinks, tt - literary. She may have no idea though, that it is bothering you. Smokers have no idea, how much they stink up the environment for non-smokers. Maybe you should mention it to her. If you have already done so, it would of course be fruitless. She doesn't care.
    We do have a smoke free building, and our smoking tenants and employees are good about going outside to get their fix. But it sits in their clothing, and I can smell it in the empty elevator from them going upstairs right after they smoke. Disgusting.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Kar, I LOVE kimchi!  I have read up on it as well and it is said to be good for digestion, so that's what prompted me to buy it.  I am sure homemade is much better than store bought.  I see them make it a lot on the cooking channels too!

Sections
Shortcuts