August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

August 2013

Good  morning, and happy August!

If we had been together when DH designed the house, I'm betting we'd just have showers, too, but he picked out what he thought we'd want, whoever "we" turned out to be.  I'm not really a bath person, but my shoulders are very tight between the stress over Gracie...it might help.

Speaking of whom, she's really doing great, still.  Yesterday she felt good enough to be outside quite a while.  Of course, that means I get nothing done because I have to sit with her.  But, that's OK, she deserves to get some fresh air and the cleaning and whatever can wait.  I think she slept better last night for it.  And, she went twice yesterday - first time since before the surgery she didn't hold it for all but once so her knee must be getting stronger.

Sorry to say I haven't really used the stove yet because DH is on cleanse, and I'm not a big "chef" for myself.  Had yogurt this morning.  But, I did use it with glee to heat the kettle.  Used the Thermador feature of the simmer cycling on and off to keep the water just right.  At the very lowest setting it cycles on for 7 seconds, off for 53 every minute.  At the highest "XLO" setting, it cylcles on for 53 and off for 7.

I need a new teapot - the cycling means the flame diameter doesn't have to be very small to have the heat be extremely low.  So, the teapot bottom diameter I have doesn't accomodate the heat being up past Low; the flame comes out around the pot making the handle get hot.  My pots pans are perfect, though, no need for a whole new set of those, thankfully,  just the kettle.

It's really not going to be much different, really, except for the fact that I can use all 4 burners at whatever heat I want; no more shuffling around of pots and pans and planning around the fact that I can only use one "normal" heat range burner at a time.  Which is different, mind you, but not in a terribly interesting way to write about, LOL.

tt, hoping your hand is feeling markedly better and the car is done soon with little $$ spent.

Pingo, getting used to just having you and DH in the house?

Winter, you must be chomping at the bit for vaca.

Hoping everyone has a great August!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2013

Good morning,

Happy August.  Summer is going by too fast for me.  Like these kind of mornings, beautiful temps and no humidity.  New walkers the last week or so, people I haven't seen making this loop before. 

Still waiting to hear from garage, hopefully today they'll get the part and be able to install it.  I'm around early, didn't want to miss a call by being in the shower, or wheeling the trash out.  Slept the sleep of the dead last night, in bed at 10:00 and slept through until 4:00 this morning.  Unusual for me.

Kargiver, sounds as tho you're enjoying your new stove - just even fooling with the burners, up here, down there!  haha

Where is PrincessCal?  Hope she hasn't ended up back in the hospital.  She usually gets a post in first thing in the morning.  And Tulips?

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning and happy August. Vacation countdown has begun! Gave the keys to a friend, who's going to come by a few times and bring in mail and check on Yoda, given treats, etc. Pingo, I am bringing my iPad, but not on the bus, since I don't want to lug it around and with DS almost 13, I don't need to carry anything for him. My iPhone takes good pictures and DS will have his new DSLR camera. I will have my iPad, but since it's only the wifi version (because Sprint was just too much for the plan) I can only use it in the room or where there is wifi. We are not a bath family either, obviously when DS was little we needed one, but not anymore. We only have one in the downstairs bathroom, upstairs (Master bath) we just have a shower.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, you've got my number - I played with the stove and the tea kettle like a kid at Christmas counting the seconds before the flame magically reappeared. Hoping you hear soon about the car and that when you do it's ready to go!  Indeed, Aug is the beginning of the end...the leaves will start changing soon with this change in the air and sun strength.  But, it is lovely weather so will enjoy it while it lasts!

Speaking of which, I sure do wish Gracie and I could go for a nice long walk.  Oh, well, the yard will be pleasant enough.

Winter, I skipped the data plan, too - who can afford that extra monthly expense?  Many people do, I guess.  When exactly are you leaving?  Tomorrow?  I wouldn't be able to think straight with giddiness if I were you.  I can just imagine the fun you guys will have.  Your DS will enjoy his new camera, too.

I've got to go to the grocery store and get something fun to cook. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Forgot about August - have a happy one!
    You must be feeling antsy, tt, w/o a car to go and do your poking. It is a beautiful day for it. Hopefully it will not take too long to get it back.
    I figured you wouldn't use your stove much right now, Kar, w/ you both on a cleansing diet. But that gives you time to get acquainted with it. Few more days, and you will be able to take Gracie for a short walk. The weather is so nice for it these days.
    Are you leaving tmw. or Saturday, Winter? You must be counting hours.
    Yes, where is princess? Hope all is well with her and that she is not hospitalized again.
    Cleaners are coming this morning. Will be at the office this afternoon. Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh DS doesn't have a new DSLR, DH does, ops! Way to expensive for a 12 year old. We are leaving at 6am Saturday morning, and will be back, Sunday the 11th.

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Oh DS doesn't have a new DSLR, DH does, ops! Way to expensive for a 12 year old. We are leaving at 6am Saturday morning, and will be back, Sunday the 11th.

- Darth Vadar

Ha!  I wondered about that, but I know how unusually mature and responsible he is so thought, "Why not?"  

ETA: you are so proactive to be all ready to walk out the door right now for a Sat departure.  That's how I like to do it, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I do believe I may be under a hex from someone - threw a wash in this morning, and after the final spin, they feel a little too wet for me - threw them in the dryer anyway, and am not going to test the washer any further today - that's for another day - today's devoted to the car and whatever that bill will come to, and assuming they can find a part for it.

In the meantime came across another good show - Selling NY.  Friend had told me about it, and the realtors/brokers on this show are more what you would expect those selling million dollar listings to behave like.  Catching rerun of that while waiting for phone to ring.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Are you serious, tt? Another emerging problem? I hope not. It could be just a fuse though. Easy and not expensive to replace. It could also be the belt. They wear out. A DIY project for one of your sons. If it is the heat coil, then it is another matter. If you google and order the part, one of your DSs could install it for you. Not difficult. DH did it once in my old dryer. And in the worst case, there is always the clothes line.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, sorry! It is your washer, that might have a problem. For that I would call the technician.

Why can't we delete out posts any longer? BDC are you listening/
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He's not as mature with his belongings as we'd hope..lol. Though DH recently upgraded his phone of 6 years and we gave it to DS since he's more independent now and he hasn't lost it yet. :) I even did a wash of the regular clothes tonight so I won't have to do it next Sunday. Today I will do the gentle cycle wash. We are staying in two timeshares so in VA we will have a washer/dryer in unit. I've packed some Tide, so I can do a load while we are there. I'll put the clean stuff in one of our suitcases so that will be done too.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh no tt, so sorry about the washer problems. I'm wishing you happy trouble-free thoughts.

- Darth Vadar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, tt - not another broken something!  How much can you deal with at once?!  Perish the thought of finding out any further.  Too wet clothes...spin cycle going bad, I guess.  Appliances are designed to fail, sadly...at least it didn't fail catastrophically with a flood like my folks' did.  They just had to replace carpet and even subflooring last month not just the washer.

LOL, Winter.  From what you tell us, I bet he will take excellent care of things, now, that he appreciates are expensive and fragile.  I have a lot of hope for the phone's future in his hands. :)

Town dear friend stopped by for tea this morning and celebrated the new toy with me, humoring me when I said I thought the tea tasted far better.  She's an avid canner and baker so appreciated the design more than DH.  Don't get me wrong, he is happy for me just like I'm happy for him and his tractor upgrade, but you can't really appreciate it if you don't use it yourself, you know?  He likes how it looks in the kitchen more than anything else, I think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Glad your town friend stopped by. The stove did look nice in the photo you posted. I'd be baking cookies. :) The plan is that when the iPhone 6 comes out, next February I believe, I will upgrade and DS will get my iPhone 4S. He treats that 6 year old phone he's using, like a child. :)

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe just because it's a 6 yr old phone.  My DH told me never to buy him nice sunglasses because he always loses sunglasses.  I didn't listen and bought him a gorgeous pair of Maui Jim's for his birthday 4 years ago.  Lo and behold, he still has them.  I don't know, I'm just impressed with what you've told us about DS, but I suppose I wouldn't risk it, either!  He is just 13, after all.

thanks - yeah, I'm pretty psyched, but if I were to bake cookies I'd have to eat them all.  I'm hesitant to use the oven until I get a liner; it's not self-cleaning.  I got the lowest of the highest end; no bells and whistles like self clean or duel fuel, just what I needed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Kar. No self cleaning oven? How could you do that in this day and age. Especially you, who bakes so much for DH to get him food, he can eat. I hate cleaning bath tubs, but I hate cleaning ovens even more. Self cleaning oven would have been a must for me. Price wouldn't matter.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

$4300 vs $6700?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Really? That is robbery. That is totally insane. I think I could live w/o it for that price too. I could always ask DH if he wanted to clean it for me - or get the self cleaning feature. I think I know the answer. LOL
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Wow...holy oven price. I'd be afraid to use it! Thanks Kar, my son is a very sweet, caring boy. He has grown up a lot in the last month or so and just the other day for the first time he told me he was thankful that I pay fot him to go to Catholic School. His father never paid for it, so essecntially I paid alone from K1-4 (6 years).

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, in case I don't catch you again before the end of the day - have a wonderful vacation and a safe trip.  You've put so much planning into every aspect of this, hope you have a carefree time.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, how sweet of your son to recognize, you are making a sacrifice for him to get the best education.
    I am not a catholic, but I went to catholic schools, and so did our boys. And at that time it was a sacrifice for us too. But they teach you a lot of other things besides academics. Skills you need in life. Both boys have thanked us. Not while they were there, mind you. Oh, my! We were mean to send them there. "Public get out at 1:00 pm and have no home work" was the song we heard repeatedly.
    But now as adults, they are thankful for the grade and high school education they got. Never expected to hear them appreciate it.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, Winter. Have a wonderful trip. Will miss you here, but look forward to hear all about your trip, when you get back.
    Have a safe drive, and come back healthy and happy.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it's not just the self clean feature you'd be paying extra for, it's all or nothing.  You either get the lower version with no bells and whistles or you get them all - it's not a la carte.  They obviously want you to buy the more expensive model with the duel fuel, self clean, etc.  I really just spent as little as I could to get the features I need...which was the cheaper of the two models...not cheap, I know - less expensive I should say.  Pingo, I like your oven cleaning solution, lol.

Winter, I choked up at your posts re DS and his schooling.  He is 13 going on 25.  Yes, indeed, if there's a chance I'll miss you before you go, have a wonderful trip!  

ETA: Winter, yes, I'm struggling with using the stove.  That's the honest to goodness reason I haven't gone hog wild with it.  And, it's the reason it took a full year for us to pull the trigger.

I burst into tears over it last night, and DH was stunned; he said, "You should be the happiest girl in town!"  I am...and I'll use it to it's fullest...but.  Then he said the magic words, "You deserve it."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Using the oven for the first time, roasting whole zucchini to blend for a soup base.

tt, any word about the car?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Found that the zucchini wasn't as soft as I'd have expected it to be if I'd put it in at the same setting and time in the electric oven.  Both are convection.  Anyone have experience with both a gas and an electric oven who can explain the difference in your experience?

Sections
Shortcuts