August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Re: August 2013

Pingo, you can always freeze the zucchini. Just shred it first then freeze heaping cups in amounts that fits your recipe. You'll have to thaw and drain the extra liquid.  I let mine drain before I bag it, too.

It has been a great year for zucchini. I shredded and froze 50+ cups already. But I plan to use it for meatball for DD when she gets ready for more solid food.  We've only just begun rice cereal and oatmeal. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I haven't had any zucchini yet this season, no growers in the neighborhood, and just haven't picked up any at the supermarket.  I do have a recipe that is supposed to be Joanne Newman's zucchini bread.  I prefer to cook it with tomatoes and onions rather than breads tho.

Guys are finally here doing my lawn this morning.  I'm marking it on the calendar, because I think it's been at least 3 weeks since they were here.  Did catch one of the guys out back and pointed out some edge trimming I wanted done.

Still have to drag trash out, not dressed yet, didn't get up until 8:00.  Sleeping good the last couple of nights.  Got my grocery shopping done late yesterday afternoon - not the time to go, aisles so crowded.  Scallops looked good and bought some to cook up for supper.  Now today I have to myself to poke wherever.  Cooler night last night, heard on TV temps were dipping down into 40's.  Kept the window closed.  Harry was sitting right up on my back step this morning, at first I didn't see him and thought he had come and gone.  Couldn't get the regular f.f. we usually do, and picked up some grilled turkey and giblets feast - he and Cheerio both gobble it up.

I'm going to fix myself some breakfast now - no, maybe first I'll get that trash out, bathrobe and all.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. So I have a stiff neck and back. I'm pretty sure it's because DH moved my seat in the car when we went on vacation and I haven't fixed it right even though I fiddled with it a couple of times now. No good weather since we are having a pool party Saturday. Interesting, I like zucchini, but not in bread. tt,what's for breakfast?

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Coffee and toast with cream cheese.

Still not dressed.  That's what happens when I sleep late, takes me til late morning some days to get showered and dressed.  Hate that, feel as tho I've missed the best part of the day.

Did the stiff neck and back start as soon as you got home?  Might be a good idea to have it checked out by p.c. if it continues, just to be sure it's not something more serious.  This time of year there are so many warnings on TV.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo - what SAW said about shred/drain/freeze the zucchini!

Baking chicken for soup/salad/other recipes - That's what the Barefoot Contessa does.  She buys the bone-in skin on split breasts, bakes them, skins them, takes the meat off in one piece pretty much, then cuts the meat into cubes.  I think she is terrific - a pretty sensible chef and lord knows she and her husband seem to have a great relationship.  They met when she was in HS and she used to send him cookies when he was in the Army.  They've been married over 40 years...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

No it's happaned slowly since I've been driving my car again. It's perfectly fine after a few hours, but after I drive it hurts.

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Most likely you're right then, and it's the seat position.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Good idea shredding the zucchini and freeze in portions. Thanks, SAW. I cook my zucchini with tomatoes and onion as well. DH loves it, but how many times can I keep serving it to him? Besides I usually only get the zucchinis - no tomatoes to go with them. Thus thinking of the breads. I have tried to stuff them a couple of times, but that was no success as far as DH is concerned. And I have added them raw to my salads and added them to meat loaf and meat balls. 
    I know exactly what you mean, Winter, re your moved seat. My car is usually the one the boys use, when they visit, and it take me days, before I feel "right" sitting in it afterwards. DH's has a memory button, so is easy to adjust the seat. But mine doesn't, even though I need it a lot more. I could have gotten it at the time of purchase and it would not have broken the bank. We just didn't think of it. Just something to consider, when one purchase a new car and there are more than one driver. Too bad you have a pool party scheduled for this weekend. The weather is not very promising.
    I mark my calender too, tt, for when our grass gets cut. In the past, we had grass cutters that skipped weeks and still charged for it. The guys we have this year, haven't done that so far, but they charge for edging, trimming and weeding as well, which hasn't been done at all. I spoke w/ the crew a couple of weeks ago. "We have 20 lawns to cut, we don't have time for that!" So when I paid last months bill, I wrote a note as to why I cut off a portion of the weekly charges.
    Hope you are enjoying your company, Kar. Hopefully your headache is gone.
    We worked late last night, so we went out for Chinese at a new place DH wanted to try. I knew it. 2 lbs water gain this morning. The food was excellent, but very salty.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, I get it. You bake the chicken to add it to the soup later. I thought she used the chicken to make broth for the soup. Silly me. Unless I have Costco chicken leftover, I would do the same. Generally, I cook the chicken to make the stock, then use that chicken to add to the soup.
    I have a couple of Contessa's cook books. Like her a lot too.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nodding in agreement to both the zucchini and chicken answers.  :)  

Just about to get lunch going - simple reheat of soup with biscuits, cheese, and crackers.

Best to everyone as we have guests, again, leaving me no time for the regular routine.  Apologies - know I'm thinking of you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No need to appologize, Kar. I know, what it is like having staying guests - no matter how close family it is.
    Hope you are having fun preserving peaches w/ your mom.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I have also found that subtle changes in seat position - just one exxtra notch - won't be noticiable until the pain starts.

Zucchini - I like to cut up zucchini and/or summer squash, peppers, onions, and what have you summer veg wise, put on baking sheet (foil for easy cleanup) in single layer and roast in hot oven with olive oil salt pepper.  Chill; add to cooked pasta and season to taste with Balsamic or Red wine vinegar, more olive oil,  italian herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, dried, whatever you have, more salt and pepper) chill again and serve with crusty bread to soak up the dressing, as Roasted veg pasta salad.  So yummy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo. :)

Sounds delicious, hats!  You could blend all that up with chicken or veggie stock for an elegant creamy soup, too.

We got 7 pints canned/processed with 1/2 pint for "immediate" consumption in the fridge - triple the recipe I made first.  It's excellent, and we did have a great time.  Tuckered my mom out and she's napping.  They are 9 days into their travels so are tired, anyway.  Dad is napping, too...not sure why he's tired, lol, but hey, they are on vacation and it's very peaceful here.  Everyone feels compelled to rest and rejuvenate when they stay for long enough.

having a pumpkin ale (is it Fall already?) outside with Gracie on her blankie in the shade of the afternoon.  The men are going to grill the ribeyes I'd planned to do on the stove (alas) over a wood fire dad collected wood from our winter stores this afternoon in gleeful anticipation.  I'll pick and wash Swiss chard for sautéing and will prepare zucchini (yes, a banner year, indeed!) to go with the steak.  I've got strawberries thawing and will make biscuits soon for strawberry shortcake.  

Gold finch seem to love the echinacea - they are flitting from flower to flower...not sure what they're doing.

Have a great evening, everyone; I've got a lot on the docket so probably won't be on again for awhile.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds like a wonderful day you and your mother spent working together, Kargiver.  Memories are made.

I intended to make a potato salad to have with my scallops for supper, but "took a nap" (nap syndrome must have floated over from your neighborhood!) and ended up with a sliced tomato to go with instead.  Pan seared the scallops in a little margarine/oil and then took them out and added some fresh lemon juice and a little pinot gricio to cook down in the drippings, pouring them over the scallops at the end.  My oh my, so tasty.  Got 6 large scallops in my half pound, but only ate 3 of them tonight.  The rest I'll reheat for tomorrow's supper, hopefully with some homemade potato salad.

Only squeezed a little of the juice from the lemon, so am on my way back to the kitchen to use the rest in a lemon bread.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

BLTs here.  I think they are easy; they think they are special!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, scallops, tt - yum!  The nap vibe was very strong here so, indeed, it could have made it pretty far.

Love BLTs, hats, especially since I discovered that bacon does great in the oven.

Folks decided to stay an extra day, yay!  Leaving early Sun morning.

Have a great day, TGIF!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, your scallops sound lovely. Kar, seems like you and your mom had a productive day. Cool that your parents are staying longer.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're an early poster today, Winter.  Do you go into work early on Friday's?  I know G.T. does, and then leaves an hour earlier at the end of the day.  Nice way to start the week-end.

Have an early morning appt. today, so trying to get around.  Felt like Fall during the night.  Guess it's time to put my regular blanket back on and put away the lightweight one.

No cats out there this morning, and no birds at the feeder, which reminds me, I forgot to refill it yesterday.  Have to stand in among the sunflowers to get at it, so that will have to wait until I get back home.  Hope everyone has a good day.

P.S.  How's your neck and back today, Winter?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I start at 8 every morning. Usually I'm in at 7:30, but I read until start time. Neck and back are a little better. I have to fool around with my seat this weekend. DS is gone for the weekend with his dad to visit his family in up state NY. He'll be back Monday.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's nice that his dad makes sure to keep your son's visits with grandparents a priority.

Birds were landing on the feeder, chirping, and looking at house - how can you resist that?  I climbed in among the sunflowers with their prickly stems and drying heads, and filled it, good clothes and all.  We didn't plant them there, you understand, they seeded themselves from the feeder drops.    No moonflowers came up there this year.  Cat Lady emailed that both cats had been there for a hearty breakfast and that Harry headed out in this direction.  I always worry about the possibility of him being under the car when I back up.

Final touches to do before going out.  I'll check in later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS has a lot of cousins in NY, he's the oldest grandson on that side actually. I have three nieces here, but they are older. He doesn't get to visit too often.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So Fall-like, my mom is freezing!  Too warm during the day to put heat or stove on, though, so she had to have a hot coffee this morning to thaw out.  She's on the elliptical trainer, now; she loves those.  Dad and Gracie are outside; he's reading, she's sniffing.  They are fast friends keeping each other company.

We, too, get sunflowers around the feeder.  The chipmunks have their eye on them, I know from past experience, lol.  

No moon flowers this year?  Are they generally perennial?

Winter, sorry about your neck.  Hopefully, you can get the car just right again asap.

Another gorgeous day...not sure what is for dinner, but the folks want to take us out tomorrow night.  We'll hit the grocery store this afternoon.  DH wants strawberry shortcake at least so I need to make more biscuits.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Beautiful day out. But I needed a shawl this morning, while drinking my cuppa. Last night was really Fall like. We worked up to 10pm, and it was  a kind of a shock to step outside. Needed a sweater, which of course I didn't have. I had plenty of leftovers at home to heat up, but I just couldn't face leftovers again at that time of the night. Not much is open after 10, so we ended up at Kelly's - they are open until 1 AM. I can't even remember, when I was there last. But we shared a small box of the most delicious clams and a pint of clam chowder. I forgot, how much I like their chowder. Thin and full of clams.
    Sounds like you are having a great time with your family, Kar. Nice of them to take you out. Would that ruin DH' s diet though? He must be almost done anyway.
    Hope you will be able to pamper your neck over the weekend, Winter. Nice your son gets to visit with his cousins, and the other set of grandparents. It looks like the weather will be fine for your pool party, even though it will be a bit cool. Maybe more party than pool. What's on the menu?
    tt, I want scallops tonight. Wonder why? I usually buy 7. 4 for DH and 3 for me. Those large sea scallops are humungous. Will make coleslaw and saute some baby spinach to go with them.
    Hats, I love BLT. But I need extra mayo. Haven't made those for a while. Maybe for lunch tmw.
    Have a baby shower brunch to go to Sunday. DH is invited too. That is good, b/c I have a huge box to lug around.
    Taking the day off today. Have several errands to run. I also want to do DS's sheets. He will be here Tuesday.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm not sure what's on the menu as my friend is bringing all the food for DH to grill. I'm making the kilebsa and brown sugar for the birthday girl.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, I have been baking my bacon for years now.

If this weather continues I think the leftover bacon may become Quiche Lorraine....

Sections
Shortcuts