August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August 2013

My mother always baked the bacon, and she saved the grease for cooking. She made the best home fried potatoes, but I have a problem using it. I bake my bacon, if I have company, but if I only have a few slices, I use the microwave.

Just came back from a couple of errands. Gorgeous day out there. I needed a card for the shower so I decided to go to the Paper Store on Rt. 1 - instead of the one in Reading. As I was in that area, I went to that TJ's s well. Nothing wrong w/ any of the stores, but oh, how I hate Rt. 1. So difficult to enter. Can't believe, tt, you don't mind it. You must be a heck of a lot more aggressive driver than me. And Rt. 1 was packed. So was Walnut Street, my exit. Sat in the traffic for at least 5 minutes trying to get on to Walnut Street. Long line down Rt. 1. Don't think, I will go that route again.

Did all the sheets this morning. Ours, UKS's and TXS's. The house smells invigorating. Now I have to do all the beds. Bought a new bedspread for TXS at IKEA, when we were there last. Will do a lot for their room. Now, if they (both) could get rid of all the junk they store here, I would be so happy. UKS has a bunch of empty boxes stored in a corner. I would have gotten rid of them a long time ago, but "Oh, no - I need them for shipping!" Well, with the shipping rates these days, there will not be much shipping. TXS still have shower gifts here. None too exciting, I admit. I have told them to donate them somewhere. I will be so happy to fill my trunk and go to Salvation Army or some other place. Sorry about my complaints. The kids are great, really. But once in a while, it just gets to me. Like today, trying to neatening up ther rooms for their arrival. Just wondering how other parents deal with their childrens storage? I have stuff here from their college time. Even from my DIL's time - from long before they were married. Argh!

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have my youngest son and DIL's 2 white couches upstairs - their first furniture before kids.  I threaten to sell it many times and ask them to either find a home for it or donate it somewhere.  Upstairs it sits, collecting dust.  rest of stuff boys had stored behind the alcoves up there have long since been pulled out and either tossed or put in yard sales.  Only remaining stuff is youngest's cabinet of  hockey and baseball trophies, notebooks of clippings g.f.'s made for them, and a couple of posters, one of Wayne Gretsky. 

Along the bacon line, I always cook mine in a skillet on top of the stove and then drain on paper towels.  I separate and cut pieces in half lengthwise into single service packets and freeze them, and the half slices are much easier to turn and cook that way (on top of the stove anyway).

I had to go up Route 1 this morning and getting there, thought how little traffic there was.  Once I pulled out onto route 1 tho, it was heavy.  I travel that route all the time, so think nothing of it.  I guess I am an aggressive driver, stick my nose out there, and so far the cars have always stopped and let me out.  I'm a considerate driver tho, not one of those who gets out there and then pokes along.  Tend to have a heavy foot on the gas pedal.

I'm facing a "nothing to do" week-end.  Spoils me when I have one like last week with both days filled.  How I loved that.  I know you will enjoy both son's visits, Pingo.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

When I was moving out before I got married my mom said take your stuff, whatever is left is being sold! I got the hint and took it with me.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just took out a Chocolate Zucchini Loaf from the oven. It looks and smell divine. Found the recipe on the net. It has semi chock chips plus cocoa and espresso coffee added. I chose it, b/c it was the one with the least sugar. Only 3/4 cup, while other recipes had 1 plus cup. And it was brown sugar, which is supposed to be healthier for you (??????). Will let you know, how it turns out. I am planning to slice it and freeze it for when company comes. Then frost it w/ my cream cheese frosting.
    Just froze away the scallops. DH called, he will not be home for dinner tonight. Having dinner w/ a client, whom he is trying to sign a contract with. That's what owning a business is about. It is not all so glamorous. I know, he would much rather come home and fall asleep in front of the TV. LOL
    Hope you all will have a good evening. Chat tomorrow, if you are around.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Pingo,  if the chocolate zucchini bread recipe is anything like the one I found, you won't need any frosting. The one I found is 1/2 brown and 1/2 white sugar only 1 cup of sugar and one cup of oil. This is the second time I've made it. It called for both cinnamon and allspice,  I left the allspice out this time. 

We have a busy rest of the month, of to my friends for a visit, hence the reason for baking at 10pm. I'm in charge of dessert,  carrot cake and chocolate cake.  Plus mini chocolate zucchini breads. Then I think Onset Friday afternoon, 2 birthday parties on Saturday and then the Marshfield fair on Sunday. Plus we going to take DS to York animal kingdom the week before labor day and DH has tickets to the deutsche bank the Friday of labor day weekend.  And then our anniversary.  And somewhere in between there is FIL's birthday, so DS will have to have a cake to decorate. I just made myself tired! 

The worst part is I am guessing that our tomatoes will ripen right in the middle of all these plans!  Yikes, what have I done. ..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Beautiful sleeping weather last night.  Changed blanket to my heavier one and was nice and snuggly all night.

Saw a flash of fur out back and thought it must be Harry, got the plate of food out, and it was instead, Miss Fluffy.  She turns her nose up at wet food, and just sat there very politely looking at the door.  When I went out with an offering of kibble, she gobbled it up.

House cleaning today, just the regular stuff that should have been done daily.  Froze the lemon loaf and there is still some cake left, so no baking needed to be done.  Thinking of make a large pot of sauce.  I love my own and haven't made any in a while.  Wish I had thought to pick up some Italian sausages.  Know myself well enough not to hit the store tho, I'll come home with a lot more than the sausages.  Heard a brief news blurb that S&S had closed NH stores - all of them or just a few?  Never caught the rest of it.  Suspect M.B. is taking over most of the NH regions.

Quite a week you have ahead of yourself, SAW.  Wait until the kids are involved in sports and other activities.  You'll wonder how you will fit it all in.  Fun times tho.

I ended up freezing the second half of my scallops, too, Pingo, cooked tho.  Had some hamburg thawing in fridge that I wanted to use, so froze scallops, sauce and all for a nice treat some other day.  Is it UK son that is coming today ?  Whichever, enjoy.  What culinary treats do you have planned for him?

My breakfast calls now, so I'll close off.  Don't imagine there will be much chatter on a Saturday, and just as well, then I'll get something done around the house.  Will check in later.  Have a good one, everyone.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    I am here tt, and I will chat, if you are around.
    UK son is the one coming from Pittsburgh on Tuesday. I know you all must be confused of our sons' coming and going. I am. TX son will come w/ his wife closer to Labor Day.
    Had the bed room window opened all night - and with that a wonderful sleep. Feel so refreshed this morning.
    DH is long gone. Me thinking of going to a couple of stores to do some clothes shopping for myself. Hate clothes shopping, but we have a couple of events coming up, that need more than a t-shirt. After I lost 25 lbs. nothing fits. I could probably fix it, but I want to see what is out there. Nowing me, I will most likely come home w/o anything.
    Then tmw. I have the baby shower. Don't want to go, but have to.
    SAW, I get exhausted already learning about your upcoming week. You must have a lot of energy.
    Have a great day everyone. Chat later w/ whoever is around.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

SAW, had a slice of my chock/zucchi bread  this morning.  Don't think I will make it again. It was ok and I am not going to toss the rest out. But it was kind of dry and like I said, not something I will make again. I will appreciate if you would send me a link to the one you made. There are plenty of recipes out there, but it is nicer if one gets one tried and liked one.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Posted about an hour ago, but see now that it never came up -  Did I not press the "post" button?

Have been emailing back and forth with Cat Lady, she breading and cooking eggplant out of their garden, and me doing the l.r., spritzing it up while watching Jeff Lewis Interior Therapy reruns.  Everything is done except the blinds, and they need a wet wash down.  May leave that for another day and instead wash the kitchen and hall floors this afternoon.  Beautiful comfortable day for working around.  No humidity.

Too bad your bread didn't come out that great, Pingo.  That's what happens sometimes when you try a new recipe tho.  Feels like a waste of ingredients - at least that's how I feel when it happens.

Loads of traffic going by today - did you get out to look for clothes, Pingo?  I avoid the stores on the week-end, if I can, altho last week-end really wasn't as  bad as I had thought, either day.

Thought I had to get a new kitchen wall phone, numbers didn't seem to work when I tried to make a call, but tried one last time last night and called SS, and no problem.  She's good, busy with family things.

Poor cat follows me from room to room.  She's in here now, washing up.  Maybe I'll give her a rest and work on this room where she already is.  Won't take long, just a dry mop and some dusting.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hi guys!

Pingo; try using just a bit of bacon fat, enough for flavor, instead of part of the regular fat that you use.  Also, take it from the bottom of the container because that's where the solids that have the most flavor, end up.

As for the choc zuke being a disappointment, that's so dispiriting.  Ask yourself this; would serving it with ice cream or whipped cream and/or some chocolate syrup take it from boring to wow?  If so, freeze for emergencies when those unwanted guests show up again!

TT, I think you are right about MB eating SS's lunch - the MB NH prices are even cheaper than in MA.  And the stores are all new and lovely; and they sell beer and wine so cheaply.  Love when I can shop up there!

We went to Wrentham Outlets today and felt that we shopped well.  It was 40% off at Vera Bradley; we got 5 items for 70$ - got the MIL's xmas gift and that's good to be on top of.  I got a pair of gauntleted garden gloves that fit really nicely. I have trouble finding gloves that fit so I am happy.  DD got a lined makeup case so she is happy.  Both of us got lovely bras at the Maidenform store.  Then we hit target and she got a dress, so we are ready!  And it was a lovely day to walk around; warm but breezy.

I hear you on the stuff!  When we bought our house my mother showed up with a truckful of stuff I really didn't want...but there was one bed that we used for a while.  Still some in the garage....

SAW, sounds as if you will be finishing the summer off with style.  We have family stuff next two weekends as well, that's why the Wrentham trip today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

http://movitabeaucoup.com/2011/09/22/chocolate-zucchini-bread/

Pingo, here is the recipe. I didn't like the allspice. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good evening, friends :)

Pingo, too bad about your zucc bread that held such promise but didn't live up to it...we've all been there.  

SAW, I'll try that one, too.

Hats, what a great Wrentham success, and what weather you had for that trip.

tt, I'll be following in your cleaning footsteps starting tomorrow.  We've had three sets of company this month so I've been barely (not) keeping up.  The mess!  

But, it's been worth it - my folks leave in the morning, and we will miss them.

So tired...they have gone to bed and we are following shortly.

Good night!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

This bread is super moist and very easy.  I haven't tried the batch without the allspice yet,  but it looks good. It makes 4 mini loaves or 1 full loaf.

Back to bed DD's belly is full and she's gone back to sleep Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

SAW, it's a good thing I did not have the internet in those baby days or I might never have gone back to sleep, although if I remember correctly, one gets so tired that nothing but the baby's needs can stop one from sleeping....hope she lets you sleep a little longer on this Sunday morning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

So quiet on these streets this morning, not even the usual church traffic.  People must be getting the last week-ends of summer away.

Sitting here with a soup cup full of black coffee (milk had turned), and the last wedge, and I do mean wedge, of cake.  Just too hungry to bother making a breakfast, and that chocolate frosting was calling out to me.

Hats, you had a great day at the outlets.  Thought you had already found a dress for DD for the special occasion?  Maybe she saw this one and liked it better?  Oh, I re read now and see there are two occasions, one dress for each, probably. I had wanted to go to Kittery this past week, but that was the day my cousin had cancelled.  Thought of driving up alone, but not as much fun by yourself, tho regular shopping around here, I prefer to go by myself, can get in and out of the stores as quickly as I want.  Think it comes from years of shopping quickly on my lunch hour at my first job in downtown Lynn - would head out to Rooks, Empire, and then the shoe store that was way up on Union St., past the other stores.  Gawd, how I loved their shoes.  They would fit them to you, fitting the back of the shoe to you if your heelwas a little narrow, and a piece under the heel so the back wouldn't rub.  Had beautiful shoes for every outfit - NOW, it's those styleless SAS'!  Never would have believed that if you had told me that then.  I was always going to be stylish and up to date.  HaH! 

Kargiver, what a nice time you have had with company.  I'm sure your mother and father will get back home and talk about how proud they are of you and the warm home you have made, that makes everyone feel welcome and comfortable.

I will have to get around this morning and do a little baking of something.  All I have now is the lemon bread and if my nephew should stop in, I know he doesn't care for that.  Now the challenge will be something that doesn't require milk - brownies? 

Can't believe it's after 8:00 and still so quiet here - did something happen and I'm the last person on Earth?  haha  Not even a leaf on the tree is moving.  But I guess I 'll get going and get a wash thrown in, that always starts the day.  Hope you all have a good one.  I'll be around, no plans (boo hoo) - Ah, at last - a walker going by.  What a peaceful route he's chosen.  Chat later. 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Thanks for the recipe SAW. Will try to compare it with mine, and see what the problem could be. If I remember correctly, the recipe I used was a "lightened up" recipe. Sometimes those don't work.
    I will take your suggestion, Hats, and slice the cake up and freeze the slices away "for when unwanted company" comes. They will gobble them up, for sure - LOL. Got a chuckle of visioning your mom driving up with a truckload of your old stuff. If I could have done that, I would have.
    You are right, tt, it is eery quiet out this morning. Not a leaf is moving. Even the birds are hiding.
    Hope your parents have a safe ride home today. Are they going all the way to PA, or do they still have another stop? Your house will feel so empty today. I hate those days, when the boys have just left.
    Getting ready o leave the house in an hour. Have to go all the way to Westborough for the shower. Glad DH will be driving.
    Have a good day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We're still here :)

Thanks so much, we do believe they felt the warmth and peace of our home and know they are as pleased as parents can be.  Will seem so quiet here, speaking of quiet.

DH and Dad started a woodworking project, storm doors for our house.  They had a wonderful time doing their "manly" thing out there in the garage with the power tools, wood, and shavings.  Now, I hear the saw DH is working with alone, again...I know he misses Dad's company. 

And, here I am in the kitchen cleaning up breakfast.  They've been on the road an hour with 8 to go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, I need new storm doors too, wish DH could oblige the way yours can!  Hope the 'rents make it home quickly and safely.

TT, just been out to visit with a friend who says she's losing her cooking skills; her baking isn't turning out well.  I immediately asked 'did you get new measuring cups or anything like that?'  She said no; I think it's depression and/or disinterest since she lost her DH.  Brought some cookies and will make sure she gets some cake later in the week.  Also will get her other friends to rally round.

The new dress is more of an any day dress - black and white - could not resist.  A dress she can wear to class when it's warm, but add a cardie and better shoes and it's suitable for a meeting too.  Why do we have daughters if not for the pleasure of dressing them?  And she's not one who over indulges in clothes; she paid for her new trainers and VB bag (both on sale) herself from her summer earnings, so...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, we posted at the same time. You answered my question. It's a long ride. Hope they will get home safely.
    Nice DH and your Dad get along so well. Those storm-doors (and your canning cabinet from last year) will be good memories. My Dad was like yours working along w/ DH for whatever they were doing. I know DH misses him. Often asks me, "What do you think your Dad would do w/ such and such?" Dad taught him a lot.
    Waiting for DH to get out of the shower, so we can leave. He wanted to finish his exercises. Long drive.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I wasn't questioning your buying a second dress for dau, Hats.  I assumed your dau was older than she is anyway, I think, and that she was buying it.  I never had a dau, and it's pretty hard to get excited over buying clothes for boys!  That's why I enjoy picking out little girl things for GD and GGDs.  Altho, I'm certainly out of touch with the fashion loop for young girls.  Think I already posted about a couple of pair of pants my DIL bought for my teen GGD last week that I never would have let her wear, and my son checking them out and calling me to tell me those are the type the girls wear a long top or dress over!  So much for my fashion style!  I find even with my youngest GGS, pumpkin, that my GD has a totally different style of clothing that she buys for him.  Was much easier when I raised my boys, not so many different clothes makers.

Just had a few minutes with rolling, talking, stretching Harry.  I was doing something at the kitchen table and he spied me (had already had his breakfast when I got up), and came up on the back stairs.  Didn't want to eat, just socialize a bit, rubbing against my legs and rolling over on the pavement showing me his pretty belly.  What a talker he is.  Can't understand why his owner seems so disinterested in him.

Haven't gotten that wash thrown in yet.  then I'll check my recipe boxes to see what I can whip up to keep on hand.  Of course, I could run down to the convenience store for some milk, but I'm pretty sure Monday is the day their fresh supply comes in.  Surprised that this turned, the date was still far enough ahead.  Just smelled a little off to me this morning.  My imagination would have run away with itself anyway, if I had used it.

ETA:  Wagon boy family just walked by.  I can judge how much bigger he's getting by how much taller in the wagon he's sitting - looking all around.  Usually mother and father are together, talking, but today it's all business, a faster pace, with the father pulling the wagon and mother walking - almost behind.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Something has upset the geese terribly.  A few minutes ago a flock of them flew up and over from the pond, and now just a few minutes later, flying back, but circling and heading off again.  Must be something or someone at the pond threatening them.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So exhausted...omgosh.

Thanks for your well wishes for my parents' drive home...indeed, a long one.  

So odd re Harry's owner.  Why have a pet you don't love and take care of?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just threw an orange cranberry nut bread in the oven.  Has notations on it so I must have made it before - oj, therefore no milk needed.

Have been half watching "The Firm".  I know I saw it before, because at the time it came out, wouldn't have missed any of Tom Cruise's movies - but don't seem to remember a great deal of the scenes when they appear.

Strange day, thinking of Winter's pool party, was it yesterday or today?  Today is so cool and keeps threatening to rain.

The little bunny has been out in the yard - seemed to come from next door, so I think they're right that he lives under their deck.  Tiny thing, not the large hare.  He was out there about this time yesterday afternoon too.  Must get hungry.

I can well imagine how tired you must be, Kargiver.  You've had a lot of company in a short period of time, a lot of entertaining both physically and mentally.  Hope this week is a slow down one where you can recoup your energy.  How did Gracie make out with company there?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well TT I am too old to have a daughter as young as she is, that's the truth.  After 1.5 hours of gardening with my new gloves I am feeling very achy, but it's good. 

In the past couple of weeks I have made a discovery about my chronic foot pain, though.  One night they were hurting so much I could not sleep so in desperation I grabbed body lotion and massaged them well, then put on the little white footie socks.  It really helped.  So I am doing that more and more.  Does not stop them from hurting after teaching, etc, but it does help me fall asleep and I don't have the pain on waking.  And hey, it's not like I don't have a few random tubes or bottles of lotion/hand cream that have been sitting on the shelf for years; it seems like everyone who doesn't know what to buy you at Christmas gets you a gift set of this stuff.  I just mention this in case someone else wants to try it - I'm a big believer in can't hurt might help.  The worst that can happen is your skin is softer - with a couple of uses of the pumice stone in the shower my feet are now in the best shape ever.

Another bonus is that I found that my chives are still alive!  so I am going to add some to my bacon quiche.  Wish it would shower and get it over with.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, I got interrupted in writing my post so did not see yours before I hit the button.  You inspired me to google the brochure from a storm door/window company and send on to DH so maybe we'll have some movement this year.....