August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2013

I miss gardening, can't kneel without pain, so don't.  If I don't kneel, knee doesn't bother me.  Seems a satisfactory compromise all around.

Boiling water for a spaghetti supper, using some of the sauce I made yesterday, and will again serve myself a glass of pinot gricio to go with, as well as a slice of today's orange cranberry nut bread that just came out of the pan.  Rose nicely, now we'll see what the flavor is like.

Interesting about the relief for the night foot pain.  I suspect the massaging gets the blood circulating and the socks keep the warmth of the circulating blood in, and eases the pain.  When I told the foot doctor that I had socked my"bunion" for lack of a better word, in hot soaks, she was horrified.  Said they learned in school that hot soaks would aggravate the inflammation.  Not on this baby.  I always use hot rather than cold.  May be psychological relief, but whatever, it works.

Water must be boiling by now, ready for the spaghetti.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, I was feeling bad for having complained about being tired - we were so grateful for everyone's being here, but it is so emotionally and physically draining.  I appreciate the amen to that. :)

Hats, I hope it gets things moving.  How about a photo - will that help?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, I love it -  that's oh so colonial in style and your echinachea is lovely.  I gotta get me some of that, but I got some rudbeckia this year and last weekend I dug up some rose campion that had volunteered in the lawn and moved it to a border site, so that and some new bulbs next month will be this year's garden accomplishments.  Today I was weeding the - not a patio - but a paved area under the deck.

TT yeah, if it hurts don't do it.  I don't do kneeling either!  of course, that's why my back hurts, from bending over but hey, it will be English muffin pizza for dinner - or cheese dreams...hmmmm... And you are right, I figured it was the circulation too.  Quite often these days I feel as if there's something trapped between my foot and the sole of the shoe.  It mostly happens in the car at the end of the day so I suspect that is it.  My understanding is that hot soaks can help arthritis but aggravate other problems; what works for you is the right thing most of the time.  Heat made my problems worse so I am glad to have figured out that the massage helps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I love the cone flowers too.  Have many growing both out front and back.  The butterflies love them.  I'm not sure if they are spreading themselves or if G.T. is doing plantings different places. 

Love your door, Kargiver.  Looks like colonial times, barricaded against the Indians!

Seeing a podiatrist and having addition of padding put in under the innersole of your shoe in the right spot might redistribute the weight on the bottom of your foot, and prevent the pain, Hats.  Easily put in or taken out.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT - I hate doctors - avoid them unless it's a problem of life or death. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  I'll tell DH. :)

My grandmother said she wrecked her knees scrubbing the floors on them and warned me not to kneel to do tasks when I was little...it stuck with me she'd be pleased to know.  That's not to say I'll never have knee problems, though - who knows what really causes it.  Maybe genetics and I'm destined for trouble...what can ya do.

Hats, have you tried the Dr. Schol's custom orthotic machine?  I wonder if it could help...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I can speak from experience in that I did try them, and ended up using their return money back guarantee after a couple of weeks.  Their inserts are very hard.  Ones the podiatrist uses are much softer, and in my case, just stickem on foam pieces cut for my particular problem areas.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Birthday/pool party was Saturday, turned out to be a nice day, but the pool was only 75 degrees. It is supposed to be in the 90's this week, so hoping it warms up a little. What a lovely day shopping with your daughter hats. How old is she? tt, I'm not a fan of that style girls wear with the leggings under long shirts or dresses either. To me it looks like they have pajamas on...What I hate even more is that look some boys wear with their pants way down their waist. DS doesn't like it either luckily. But all his school clothes are all set (though he has to try on his pants to make sure the length is ok). I got him 4 new shirts, shorts, and a gym outfit. He needs black shoes and new sneakers. His father will get him the sneakers I believe, new soccer cleats and he needs to go up a size (last one) with his soccer ball.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Morning, Winter.  Glad your pool party came off without a hitch in the weather.

I wouldn't have minded so much if the pants I refer to for GGD looked like pajama bottoms, these were a shiny, satiny material that I said to my son (her grandfather) looked like an invitation for a boy to pat her a** !  Still don't approve of them, covered or not.  However, that's neither here nor there, I'm not the one who bought them, and I won't be the one approving her wearing them.

Lilly's mom called last night to invite me to her big bro's birthday party this week-end.  He'll turn 12.  He's such a nice kid.  I noticed he seems to be maturing a lot, was very young for his age before, I thought.

Cranraisin/orange/nut loaf turned out good.  I'll have to write "Good" across the top so I'll know next time.  Think it's something most people would like.  Had a slice with spaghetti last night and 2 (oops, shouldn't admit that) with cream cheese with a cup of coffee this morning.  Figured the cream cheese took the place of the milkless coffee??  I do know how to rationalize things that I want!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes those are leggins, I don't like them. They do look like an invitation. Luckily I don't have to see them at my son's school, since they have a dress code.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

This was the 17 yr. old that got the pants-leggins.  All the more reason, at that age, not to be wearing something like that.  Usually I really like the combinations she puts together.  She's sort of in that colorless stage, mostly blacks and greys, but she has a way of layering that looks stylish - to me anyway.

Cat Lady and husband are headed for Foxwoods for a couple of nights, so I'm in charge of "the cats".  She must have fed Harry this morning already, because he just wanted to talk and drive Cheerio crazy by rubbing against my legs!  You should see the look on her face when I come in and she sniffs him on my robe.  Complete betrayal and disgust!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Thanks, ladies!  I'll tell DH. :)

My grandmother said she wrecked her knees scrubbing the floors on them and warned me not to kneel to do tasks when I was little...it stuck with me she'd be pleased to know.  That's not to say I'll never have knee problems, though - who knows what really causes it.  Maybe genetics and I'm destined for trouble...what can ya do.

Hats, have you tried the Dr. Schol's custom orthotic machine?  I wonder if it could help...

To my way of thinking, there's nothing as satisfying as getting down on your hands and knees and scrubbing a floor, getting into all the corner and nooks and crannies.  Many years of doing that, but I can't blame arthritis in only one knee on that.  You're really limited when you don't kneel - so many little things that need to be done, become instead, bending.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yeah I can't kneel because of that ACL/MCL surgery I had. I can do it for a minute if I have too, but after that I start getting pain and I was told not to do it.

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Yeah I can't kneel because of that ACL/MCL surgery I had. I can do it for a minute if I have too, but after that I start getting pain and I was told not to do it.

- Darth Vadar

I know you had had a problem diving too, can you do that now?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Glad your pool party went well, Winter - even though I suspect not many jumped into in the pool. And I don't blame them. The outside-the-pool weather was not up to par.
    This is of the bennies going to a parochial school. They have uniforms. The kids may not like it, but it is a blessing for parents.
    I have noticed some of the clothing little girls wear these day. And now you are wondering, why there are so many rapes? In my mind, why are parents allowing them to look like h------? It is certainly none of my business, and I guess one have to go with the flow or being picked at.
    Just glad I had boys and that I am over this stage.
    Kar, I guess I have a friend in misery. I hope you know, what I mean. Continuously having guests is so exhausting. No matter, who they are. Your daily routine changes. Some of our guests are not very accommodating. It is all about them. Those are the worst. Then we have guests, whom I love to have come back. This summer has been a summer full of the non-wanted.
    Had a nice Sunday. The shower, we went to, was very nice indeed. It was a brunch. Everything breakfast was there, plus there was a table of several veggie dishes like baked zitis, eggplant parm and such. They also made customized omelets and fresh waffles. The food was exceptionally good. Wouldn't mind to have an occasion celebrated there. Only problem is - it's an hour away from here.
    We drove home and DH wanted to stop at HD for some flooring for our office vestibule. By the time we got home, I was exhausted. Went in for a wonderful long nap. Then I cooked the scallops for our dinner.
    Now, getting ready for work. Picking up DS from the airport tmw night. Yeah!
    Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Getting off the computer for the rest of the morning.  Sitting here with a list of errands I wanted to get done, and am still in my robe, chatting on here and back and forth with G.T. and C.L.  I'll check in later after Y&R.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I forgot to mention - your storm door looks beautiful. I am sure it will keep you and DH warm.
    How is Gracie doing after all this company?
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Ah yes, the junior slot clothes that the girls wear now.  So charming.  DD who is in her 20s does not subscribe.  However, the way the clothes are made, sometimes the buttons open up; of course exposing bra straps which used to be regarded as a moral and fashion faux pas of the highest order is actually considered cutting edge.  Sets my teeth to grinding. 

Going out to lunch but can't wait so bfast is toasting right now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ducked back in before heading out - along the line of bra straps - what is this with wearing a black bra under a sheer white shirt??

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh yes I just couldn't drive for the four weeks I had the big knee brace on. I can do everything except kneel and sky(since I never skied before) she thought it best that I not start now.

Pingo glad your shower was nice. Food sounds very good.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh boy, don't get me started on inappropriate girl clothes. I had the worst time finding DD a bathing suit this summer and she is only 1!!  So many were triangle top bikinis and cutouts.  Yuck! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Glad I don't have this worry with clothes, but I'm sure at some point DS will be bringing home someone. Hopefully she knows how to dress!

- Darth Vadar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think if your son is attracted to her, she'll be dressing appropriately.  Remember youngest son's wife telling me that when she first set her sights on him, co-workers told her, you'd better change the way you dress.  He doesn't date girls who dress like that!  And he's anything but an old fuddy duddy.  She's always dressed alright as far as when he started bringing her home, and since.

Got all my errands done, had them all lined up in a row - bank - mall for Newbury Comics, CVS, Best Buy, and then S&S.  Talked with a nice young man in Best Buy who went over ONCE more the details of the pay phone the boys got me.  I think it'll stick this time.  I still have plenty of minutes/money in there, just with that type of phone you have to put some money in every - oh, did he say 3 months or 2 months?  I'll have to check the literature, but I know I'm OK for another couple of weeks.  Picked up a couple more low $ cards to put in when need be.

Along with the game card from Newbury Comics, picked up 4 or 5 small bags of candies to put in a bag for GGS.  His step mom (Lilly's mom) is awfully hard on them as far as treats, so figure as part of his birthday gift, she'll ease up a little.

Thought it had warmed up a lot while I was out, and getting muggy too.  The house felt nice and cool when I got back in, and with just a window open here and there, is comfortable now.  have to put the rest of the groceries away and straighten up the mess I left with my lunch salad.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Hi all, Shopping for appropiate clothing for girls is the pits.  So glad when my girls were younger they went to Catholic schools and I just went to the store and  picked out their play clothes and they wore them....don't know how I would handle letting them pick out their own clothing today.  I go to the Mall and I'm just horrified at some of the outfits I see. 

Thanks for the info on the pain meds, I've been taking them occasionally and altho I'm still having pain, its not as bad......

Everyone has a health proxy I hope (think thats whats its called) My BIL was transferred from a NH hosp to one in MA....he will need to go to a rehab, and he WILL have to go to one in MA, no proxy in place.  Planning on getting one for myself and DH.  Take care and Keep Smiling. ss

When life hands you lemons, Make lemonade!!