August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: August 2013

tt, that's cool that you shopped in Newbury Comics for your GGS. You are such a cool nana. Nice to hear from you ss. Hope you are feeling better. I do not have a Health Care Proxy, but I made sure my mom has one.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

tt, that's cool that you shopped in Newbury Comics for your GGS. You are such a cool nana. Nice to hear from you ss. Hope you are feeling better. I do not have a Health Care Proxy, but I made sure my mom has one.

- Darth Vadar

Well thanks, but it's not a scarey place, not like going into Spencer Gifts!  HAHA

Not much to buying a gift card. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Concerning my daughter and her picking out her own clothes - basically, I didn't let her do that!  How? I ordered from LL Bean and other places as much as I could.  Got her bathing suits there, including the ones with long sleeves and knee length that zipped up; then she didn't need as much of the hated sunscreen so she was good with that. Put her on the swim team and in lessons so that the nasty suits were not practical later.  Made sure that the words "we can'[t afford it" were drilled into her head so much that she knew bad choices and fast fashion were not possible for us (even though that might not be true - but I also said  "we may be able to afford any one thing; but we can't afford everything.  You will have to choose between (I want it) and (I need it!)   Went myself and bought stuff for her to try on at home.  That way it was all approved ahead of time. 

Not to say that her choices now are perfect, but, I will say that when we were at the expensive sneaker store, she didn't even look at the flashy full price stuff!  We were at a party last week with this pretentious woman who was telling us how clever she was because she refused to buy her 17 yo son $190 sneakers, steering him instead to the $100 ones and she looked at her and said "I buy my shoes at Payless."  You go, girl.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It does you proud when they develop the values they have been taught at home.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speaking of Payless, Hats, my DIL told me they've been bought out, but I can't remember by whom?  Do you happen to know?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No, I hadn't heard!  Will google.

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Speaking of Payless, Hats, my DIL told me they've been bought out, but I can't remember by whom?  Do you happen to know?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yeah, Payless and Keds were owned by the same company and were split and sold about a year ago to an investment firm and Wolverine brands.   Saw no intelligence on any changes planned.  Looks as if it was mostly one of those deals where the stock was worth more split into two than together.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks.  Not that it makes any difference, just, she seemed to think it was a plus for the store.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well, one hopes that any sale or merger it will be a good thing but there are so many factors that it's hard to predict.  I'm in the same SAS boat as you so I haven't been in a Payless lately!  And the effects of those things take a while to be seen, unless they start closing off stores right and left...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

A muggy night.  Guess it's the last hurrah of summer.

I'll be out most of the day, and hopefully some time during the day get my car inspection sticker.  Hate to go at the beginning, or at the end, so am hoping today everyone won't have the same idea as me.

Princess, how are you making out?  Hope the meds are keeping your blood at an even level.

Pingo's son was to come in last night, so we probably won't hear from her today, and I imagine  Kargiver is either resting or doing a thorough clean up after all her company.

Hope you all have a good day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Yes, much to do, indeed.  Cleaning is taking a back seat to canning at the moment, though.  Just canned another 7 pints from about 35 peaches of jam, this time ginger honey.  DH asked for the next batch to be the vanilla maple version.  He's a vanilla fanatic (are all men?).

tt, I'm sure there won't be many folks getting a sticker today.  GL!

Still so tired...I wish I could curl up and sleep for 72 hours...yeah, that would probably do it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Haha  Forgot about your canning that is an ever constant these days.  Bet there are some days when you wish you could forget it.  I'm sure everything ripens at once and needs to be canned asap.  A lot for one person to work at day after day.  You do have an appreciative audience tho - your DH and us Chatters.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. tt, I just meant that Newbury Comics is a cool store. I got my son a cool wallet there for his Christmas stocking last year.

My DS doesn't get expensive clothes, etc., but I do buy him very good sneakers, usually Nike, but not $100 ones, maybe $50. They are better for your feet and they last longer, from our experience and I try to find a sale. Last year he had gret luck with school shoes (black leather loafers) from Payless. I myself can't wear shoes from there, everytime I try they just fit right and they kill my feet.

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, yes, I DO wish I could forget once in awhile, but you're so right, everything comes at once.  I thought I was caught up on the peaches until DH told me this morning there's another 1/2 bushel in the basement that will be ready to can tomorrow.  I might have to get 2 canners going at once.  At least the stove allows for that option.  It DOES help to have your and DH's appreciation. Thanks for sharing with me!  I wish I could share the preserves - the peach, especially, would be phenomenal on scones...I'll bring a jar over next time I raid your freezer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, my mom did the same thing - we struggled and my grandmother even made a lot of my clothes, but she didn't sacrifice good shoes, too important.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

With me getting his uniform, my mom usually gets him some jeans and shirts for his birthday so he's usualy all set. His dad will usually get him cleats and last year he got him basketball sneakers, hope he gets him the basketball sneakers this year, since his foot grew.

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My Mom too.  She had foot problems and whatnot all her life and said as a kid she always remembered wearing shoes past  their prime, when her feet had outgrown them, simply because there was no money for new ones.  Proper fitting, good shoes, and a good winter coat were always top priority - altho she would buy a coat in a size maybe too big for right then, but that would give me another year's wear out of it!  She made one winter coat for me, but I hated it, not too appreciative at that tween age of homemade clothes.  I wanted what the other kids had.  I do rememer too, for whatever reason, she felt saddle shoes weren't properly made and wouldn't buy me a pair, when they were all the rage.  I had to wear my regular lace up ones which I'm sure were more expensive than the saddles.  -  Zoom ahead 50 odd years to last week at the podiatrist's - she said what nice feet I had, strong too!  Haha, Mama was right when she said, "You'll be glad some day."

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I agree, my parents spent lots of money on good shoes from Filene's when that was a big sacrifice. 

DD's were always Stride Right - sandals for summer and mary janes and sneakers for winter -  not to mention the tap, ballet, jazz and soccer cleats every Sept.- Irish dance shoes - I think one year I bought 7 pair of shoes in two weeks.  Once they get to middle school it changes for girls - they need more fashion shoes and fewer special shoes.  The trainers she bought the other day for weightlifting, gym sessions for the team were Nike - $50 from the Outlet at Wrentham.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The Nike outlet is one that I find really has some great deals.  We stop there for DH and DS shoes when we are up the lake.  Last weekend we got his back to school sneaks for $38 (addt'l 20% off clearance).  They are a hideous color, but he likes them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS' were from Stride Rite when he was younger. I think he may be offically out of boys. Think he wear a boys 6, but he put my sneakers (women's 8) and they fit. His sneakers would probably be cheaper once it's not in the kids section, so I'm hopeful. Hats, good thing about Catholic school, they can't wear different shoes.  all must be black leather. I think Mary Janes would be ok, but not sandals at all.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

When I say sandals, I'm talking the old fashioned kind like the ones Princes William and Harry wore with covered toes so you could bike, cross straps and an ankle strap that threaded through the lengthwise straps.

I'm having a TT type breakfast today: blueberry pie!  Yummy warmed in the microwave with some protein on top.  Frozen dairy protein, that is.

Tried to upload a picture but good old BDC refuses to cooperate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    tt, I am here. DS is not coming until tonight.
    Re shoes. That has always been a priority here as well. My mother grew up in a family w/ 6 children and no money, so often she had to cut inserts out of newspaper, when her shoes were warn out until there were big holes in them. I guess that is why it was so important for her, my sister and I had the best shoes (not always the most expensive, but the best ) growing up.  Our boys grew up in Strite Rite as well. Our pediatrician recommended them. Not cheap by any means. Sometimes I paid more for children's shoes than my own. I believe in the saying, that if your feet hurts, the whole world stinks.
    I have several pair of SAS shoes. I never bought them up here, so I am not aware of what kind of their shoes the stores sell here. Since I have the opportunity to go to their flag store in San Antonio, I buy them there. I agree some of their shoes are  - well, not very stylish. But they are comfortable. However, I have bought sandals and shoes there, that are every bit as stylish as the ones you would pick up at a high end shoe store here. But I guess many stores may not carry them, as most people don't want to pay that much for shoes.
    It is "sister-day" for DH, so we have to go to dinner at his sister tonight. From there we will go to the airport to pick up DS. He will be ravenous, so I took out Lasagna to heat up for him. That and a big salad "with Mom's dressing". And the ice-cream maker is churning out Saffron/Cardamom icecream right now. Will have to stop by TJ's before I go to the office to get some of DS's favorites.
    Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, oh yes - do I ever remember those closed toes sandals. I grew up with them. And I got my parents to send them for the boys, when they were young. I just didn't want to close in their feet in a pair of hot sneakers all day.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS is not a fan of sandals, he's wear flip flops at the pool but that's about it.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh Winter, your son is way too old for the kind of sandals we are talking about.  Seriously retro here...think Christopher Robin in the real books, not the Disney version. 

http://www.literatepackrat.com/blogs/scrapbook/archives/000475.html

Sections
Shortcuts