August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2013

Eggplant kept calling to me from the fridge, so it's in the oven now, parming.  Will just have a little dish of salad with, and maybe a pinch of pinot grigio.  Couldn't find a thing to watch this afternoon, so remade bed and we'll see how tonight goes.

Hats, you do a lot of "day trips" that seem to be overnight here and there.  Good for you.

Did your DH start on the hood installation, Kargiver?  Beautiful day to be working either inside or out.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We posted at the same time, Pingo.  According to the reviews I read, it's one tough deal to go through if you're not satisfied with Simmons mattresses.  Of course, I had to just read that today.  So, I'm hoping for the best.  I have bought other furniture there (my l.r. set and tables) and been very satisfied.  I get the feeling it's more Simmons requirements for refund or exchange that is the base of the problems.  Here's hoping.  Got my last one at Gardner in Salem, a known quantity since the hospital bought all their mattresses from them, and had planned on going there for this next one.  I'm probably worrying about nothing.  Let's hope.

What did you do today?  Tomorrow's plans?

ETA:  yum yum, just took eggplant out of oven to let it cool a bit - wish I could post a pic.  Can you smell it?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, hopefully your eggplant will cheer you up after reading all those bad reviews. Waiting for a report tmw. morning. Maybe you just worry now unnecessarily.
    Not much happening here. Made lunch for the athletes when they got back. There must have been something in those portabella mushrooms, b/c after lunch, they both went in for a nap. Could be the beer too.
    Tomorrow, depending on how the patient is doing, we may take a ride to RI, to see our friend, who is in rehab there after a knee replacement.  DS will probably stay at home doing some work.
    Going for pizza later tonight.
    Have a good evening and SLEEP WELL!
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

From what I read, it's not the initial night's sleep.  it's after a couple of weeks, the indentation that develops in the mattress from the memory foam, is the complaint.

Enjoy your evening.  Hope your friend is up to having company tomorrow.  Would be a nice day for a ride down to RI.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I had a tempurpedic that had that problem and they send a tech out to measure the depth of the crater.  it was deep enough to qualify for store credit; it was not under warrantee anymore - it was Jordans.  I used the credit to get a soft sided (tradtional looking, not a wavy bag) water bed.  Love it.

dh isn't planning to do the hood until the lull between garden and snow.  No worries; it's not essential, just a nice thing to have especially with garlic and fish!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Got up with a sore back this morning, but of course that could be from the change in mattress.  Also with my old mattress I had a blanket rolled up under the top of the mattress to raise the head a bit when I was having trouble with the Gerd.  Don't know if I can do that with this gel/foam thing.  One thing I'm not sure I like or dislike, is the warmth from the gel.  From what I read it's supposed to go either way, warm you if you're cold or cool you if you're hot.  Might be nice in the middle of winter. 

Fed Harry, came in here and turned on the computer and heard this awful catawalling - Miss Fluffy short legs was coming up the walk and Harry was standing his ground howling at her.  I don't think they do this at Cat Lady's.  I know they both come at the same time there, but she more thought he was kind of waiting/looking for her.  Doesn't sound like a romance here to me!

Going to jump into a hot shower, get an outfit ready to wear today, and make up the lasagna early, all except for baking.

Looks like a great day for whatever everyone has planned.

Kargiver, you said your DH was talking about the hood, and I thought you meant he was talking about putting it in.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT maybe Harry is being kind of territorial and thinks he 'owns' you whearas at CL's they are joint owners...looks like a lovely day for a party!  I think just a lot of shopping on my list for today, MB and Costco although not crucial - I could do Costco tomorrow if it does not work out for today.  The rest of the family are enjoying a well deserved rest and I am having a restful time working on little projects right now...and drinking my tea. 

Think I will start the new Claire Cook book I got at the library - do you read her TT?  She lives down Cohasset/Scituate way and her books are pretty much set on the South Shore/Cape area.  One, MUST LOVE DOGS was made into a movie with Diane Lane.

Do you think we should make a point to post a little in the book area that Dottie set up for us?  We don't really have to discuss, just tell what we are reading...so that she feels her work was not in vain?  think I will replicate that last paragraph over there....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's a good idea about posting in the book section, Hats.  I know she set up the soaps thread just for me, but I got very tired of just conversing with myself.  Can't believe there are no other soapies out there.

Right now I'm not reading, don't think I've read Claire Cook, but will check her out next time I'm in the library.  Picked up "Healing with the Angels" last week - not a book to read, per se, it'a about using the guardian angels we all have to ask for assistance with various things.  A bit too spelled out for me - prayers for every little thing.  I don't believe you have to have a specific prayer to ask for help.  Being brought up Catholic, I've always believed I had a guardian angel assigned to go through life with me, but my actual prayers for help go right to the "higher up" !

Yes, I'm looking forward to this afternoon.  Temps are just right.  Newton can get a lot hotter than here, and even tho they have a lovely pool that everyone goes in, this person doesn't.  So, I sit there under the umbrella, sweltering, but happy to be with this congenial group.  Must make a point to talk to one person in particular today, overheard him telling someone last time that someone (I think he was referring to me) never talks to him.  He doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor, sort of an odd duck, but then too, probably I seem the same to him.

Another that I must make an effort with is a friend of my GD's.  I just don't like him, he looks right past me, think he has a thing about "older people".  He's not a kid, probably almost 30. I'll have to search him out today and try to start some sort of conversation so he doesn't think GD's Nana is a complete dud.  She introduces me to proudly to her friends, "and this is my nana"  as tho I were someone famous!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    So you did get some sleep after all, tt. This warm/cool gel thing sounds like bogus to me. As for your GERD, they have wedges you put on top of your mattress. I just use two pillows. One very firm and one softer.
    Nice day for the birthday party. Under the umbrella it won't be terribly hot. We have a couple of duds in our extended circle of friends. I have tried to get a conversation going with them several times to no avail. Some people are just like that. As for the rude friend of your GD's looking right past you, why do you even want to bother? Good luck!
    Haven't read Claire Cook either. Will look her up on my kindle, next time I need to download books. Right now I am reading The Portrait of an Artist, by James Joyce. It was suggested to me by my UK son. One of his favorite books. I have a hard time reading it. The language is a bit too much for me; have to keep looking up words. I am half way through, and I will finish it. But it is a slow process, and I don't really enjoy it.
    Had a nice relaxing day yesterday. Having our son home, means no work for my DH. There is always something for him to do - even on weekends. Will call our friend's wife in a bit to see if he is up to a visit. If so, we will take a leisure ride to RI this afternoon.
    Have a good day everyone and have fun at the party, tt.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Some people are just like that. As for the rude friend of your GD's looking right past you, why do you even want to bother? "

Because he is a good friend of my granddaughter's.  She's sees something likeable in him, so for her, I'll make the extra effort.  He is a gay man, I'm not sure how long "out", and almost rude about it.  I have been around gay people most of my life, so certainly understand the difficulty some meet with, but have no experience with anyone with his attitude.  G.T. and his partner have tried to strike up conversations with him when they've been at the cookouts too, but sort of meet with this, I don't know, attitude, for want of a better word.  Perhaps his preferences have nothing at all to do with it, and he is just not comfortable in social situations.  Because he is gay, however, my tendency is always to reach out.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that changes the scenario a bit. Maybe he would be more comfortable bringing his partner, if he has one.
    Our sons have gay friends. One of them has this attitude, that all "over the age of 50" hetero sexual people hate gay people. So he acts very hostile towards us. We don't like him much, but he is our sons' friend, so we try to be nice to him.
    Nice of you to try to reach out to him. Hope you have luck this time.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it took about a year before I nocticed the uncomfortable dent in the Tempurpedic (hip area).  Some materials do help regulate temperature like wool does.  Gracie's new bed, by the way, is a memory foam gel dog bed, and she loves it.  Not sure if she'll notice or care if it caves to her bum, hee hee hee.

That's too bad people can't approach everyone as individuals, not judging by age (you must hate gay people because you're x age, for instance) or by past experiences.  Makes life harder than necessary, and it's hard enough when everyone is respectful and nice!

Got things on the stove so can't be too verbose, lol.  DH was talking about needing to buy additional stuff he hoped would be in the box re the hood.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Home at last.  Not one of their better gatherings - think the majority of them had been out partying last night and weren't at their best today.  I was a regular "chatty Cathy" and got little response.  The "odd duck" did come in later and brought with him vegan offerings from T.J.'s., giving me something to talk with him about, because they were delicious.  We chatted a bit about the customer service T.J.'s gives and he grinned and said, "I work there."  He's retired from the service and works a few hours a week at one.  So, of course, I had made points by 1) saying how tasty the treats were; and 2) saying what great customer service they give!  The other person I was going to make an effort to talk with, was working, so wasn't there.

Loads of traffic on 128, but going out it was going North,and coming home it was going South, so I lucked out both ways.

Yeah, Kargiver, ask Gracie is she's noticed yet that her butt is sinking further and further into the foam!  haha  I expected Cheerio to hop up and never leave once she found the warmth of the bedding, but she evidently either didn't feel it on top of all the covers, or felt it and didn't like it.

Was glad I brought the lasagna because everyone dug into that when I got there around 1:30, and the regular cookout stuff wasn't served until around 4:00.  Worked out well.  No supper for me tonight, just had cake and ice cream right before I left and that will hold me for a while.

Hope you all had a good afternoon.  Hate to see summer winding down.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, at least the party went better than you thought it might re difficult guy.  Nice random "saves." :)  

I'll ask her, lol.  She actually didn't like it the first time she laid on it, but I put treats in there and after a few minutes she realized it was the best bed ever.  

Good no need to cook dinner.  We're having grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches with steamed broccoli.  Hm, better get going on that!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

If I should get hungry, there is still the tray with leftover eggplant parm from last night.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

One of my favs...you risk a midnight raid by telling me it's around. ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo helped me make dinner tonight!

It was Costco chicken plus some lovely grapes (very sweet 99 cents from MB last week) and I was adding some baby carrots to the tray to go out to the deck when I said to myself, "This seems altogether healthy and boring."  So I thought "What would Pingo do?"

I remembered I'd bought some of Pingo's favorite Campari tomatoes.  I sliced 4 onto a plate, salted and peppered them well.  Then I grabbed some French "pain grille" that I had on the shelf (think large Melba toast.)  A little mayo in a dish, toast in another, and voila!  Open faced make your own sandwiches.  DH came out on the porch, saw the table and said "A feast!"  We all enjoyed it.  He and I had skipped lunch today to go out and do errands so we both were starved and now are full.

TT I am glad the lasagne was well received and that Mr TJ's was happy.  Sorry the party didn't sparkle, though.  You know that you did your best, though, and that should make you feel good!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Tomatoes must be on everyone's plate tonight. We had them on the grill halved with a little Italian dressing and parm cheese, with steak tips, potatoes cooked with butter and fresh sage, and grilled green beans with a sprinkle of sugar, salt and red pepper flakes in olive oil. This was the first time I have grilled in parchment, since I used all the tin foil for the potatoes. 

Spent the day doing laundry and decided not to go to the Marshfield fair this year. We were so busy yesterday with 3 birthday's that I just couldn't figure out how to fit in the fair. Plus the friends we go with could go until 5pm and we would have been just too late getting home. 

My FIL's cake came out pretty good. We made a camouflage cake with chocolate frosting. I was afraid it wouldn't bake evenly since it called for both a chocolate and a white or yellow mix and I only had a chocolate so I had to make the yellow from scratch.  You had to split the yellow in 3rds, tint one green, leave 1 yellow and  mix 1 50/50 with the chocolate.  Then you drop spoonfuls in the pans and it actually bakes up camouflage. DS thought it was pretty cool. 

This is the week we go to York animal park. And then my parents are taking both kids over night Saturday! It will be the first time since DD was born that we've had date night, I wonder if we'll stay up past 10pm or sleep past 7am on SundaySmile

Hope you all have a great week! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

SAW I was wondering how things were going for you and meant to post, glad you beat me to it.  that cake sounds awesome!

Was it the potatoes you grilled in the parchment?  Or the whole meal?  I have grilled in foil but not in parchment - did you soak it first?  I love sage, that sounds so yummy.  I must plant some sage, I have mint, oregano and chives growing, the other day I made a bacon and chive quiche.

Hope you have fun at York; enjoy these precious days.  I found some pics of us at Edaville RR today; that used to be a cherished October and Xmastime tradition around here.  And hey, sleep 20 hours if you need it; that's the point!  That's why kids have grandmothers!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

I only did the beans in parchment and I stapled it to keep it closed.  The potatoes I did in foil, I cut wide slices without cutting all the way through the potatoes and put a whole sage left in the slice salted them and added almost a 1/2 stick of butter. 

It's funny you mention edaville, we're close enough to hear the train whistles but haven't  taken DS yet. We're done plimouth plantation many times though never near Thanksgiving.

DH's mom is coming for dinner tomorrow night,  so I better get the kids to bed and the 6 loads of laundry folded and put away so I can vacuum during lunch tomorrow. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Edaville used to have a Cranberry Festival w/e of Columbus Day - it used to be such fun since they had craft vendors etc. for the adults, and the rides for the kids....and it was not hot!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, SAW!  My mouth is watering at your grilled food, especially the potatoes. I love spuds, and butter with fresh sage pouch grilled?!  Oh, my.  Neat sounding cake!  Glad the from-scratch part got along well with the boxed.  I've never heard of the camo technique.  Was FIL in the military?

have a great date night!  I don't think you'll be all that focused on sleeping, per se. ;)

Tons to can today, hoping to get two whole water bath batches done, one of peaches, one of cukes.  DH was out the door early this am so maybe I can.  I also have a large zucchini to pickle.  Arrrrgh!  

Yesterday was buying pint canning jars without much consternation, and the woman in the same aisle said, "Excuse me, you look like you have a canning clue...um, can you please help me?"  Gave her an overview of the products, made recommendations, answered questions, and gave her my number.  She had canned as a child with her mom, but it was all just a vague memory, hardly a guide at this point.  Recommended the book that ultimately got me started, "Put 'Em Up!" which she's going to order from amazon; this place usually carries it, but they were out and would probably over charge, anyway.  It was a fun time!

ETA:  whoops, forgot it's Monday - I almost forgot my chiropractic appt!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, you were sweet to help that woman.  I hope she appreciates it, especially you giving her your phone number!

Edaville still has the Cranberry festival but it's the weekend before Columbust day; then they start the Halloween thing.

SAW here's the link to their events schedule for your benefit.  They have been doing improvements all summer and they reopen next weekend.  I think you might find some things your son would love.  Like Thomas and Curious George.

http://www.edaville.com/edaville_events

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

That was a nice encounter you had with a fellow canner, Kargiver.  Feels good to be able to help someone out like that.  Meant to tell you, when I went to CTS last week, they had a lot of Bell canning jars.  Meant to double back and check the price, but got waylaid once I hit the chips and stuff.  Don't know if you have one near you.  Every once in a while you hit upon something like that at a good price in there.

I finally remembered to bring the booklets of my mother's out to the chef that goes to the cookouts at my son's.  He thumbed through and said today he'd sit down and really go through them.  So glad to find someone who will enjoy them, they've sat in a drawer or shelf here for years.  Checked the prices on ebay of what they were going for - most around $20, but I would never do anything about selling them on there, so better he have them with the collection of his mother's that he has - to do with as he wishes.

Better night on the new mattress last night, and Cheerio joined me - she's found the warmth aspect - came and laid on the sheet up next to the pillows, purring away most of the night.  I'm surprised she hasn't gone back in there this morning before I can get the bed made.  She's preoccupied in the kitchen window watching/listening to Harry howling at Fluff who evidently followed him up again this morning.  He's such a tease, he leaves half his food on the plate, and then when she makes an attempt to go over and eat it, stands guard, yowling.

Dark here, definitely going to rain harder than the few sprinkles we had earlier when I was filling the feeder.  Have a couple of pancakes to toss out for them too.  Had the heat too high under the skillet, I guess, never burn pancakes, but I got 3 out of the batch, and the second batch burned.  Squirrels have given up on hunting out food down here because I haven't been tossing anything out.  They'll have a field day today if they follow their noses.

No plans to go out today, altho there is an anniversary card that should be bought and out in the mail today.  Sometimes it's so hard to find just what you want.  Must remember to get a mass card out in the mail too, for our elderly friend.

Good morning for cleaning, maybe a thorough job on the stove/oven.  Strange how fast that needs doing.  Seems like last week that I polished it spiff and span.  In younger days, I did it every week anyway as part of the cleaning.  Now that I have more free time, time gets away from me - how do you figure that?

So as not to waste this cool air (hear muggy is coming in by the end of the day), will get showered and dressed and concentrate first on the kitchen.  Hope you all have a good one.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. So I'm here at work, but I'm not feeling the best. Seems like everyone had a nice weekend. Got all of DS' school supplies on Saturday, and will get him shoes this weekend and he'll be ready for Tuesday.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar