August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: August 2013

I don't have experience w/ a gas convection oven, but I know if one uses an electric convection oven, one is supposed to lower the temperature by 25 degrees. Maybe you fancy stove is already taking that in consideration, so your temperature wasn't high enough.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A gas oven is supposed to be inferior to an electric, but I don't know why - that's why the high high end is "duel fuel" - gas range, electric oven - for bigger bucks.  Convection circulates the hot air so, yes, you reduce the time or the temp whether it's gas or electric.

ETA: my electric oven was convection 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Raining here, gentle but steady.  Made a delectable soup and enjoyed the new stove very much in the process.  Tried a mushroom I'd never heard of - Hen of the Wood - in it.  Found it at the little farm stand store I buy my favorite beer at, and it turned out to be very fibrous and tough.  Had to throw it in the blender; it was inedible!  But, it came out great that way, thankfully, and served to thicken and flavor the soup.

dh is out in the rain picking the garden having scarfed up the soup for dinner first.  Cleanse friendly but very hearty so he's happy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. I posted last night, but it doesn't seem to be here. I leave tomorrow at 6am. I'm at work today. Will vaccuum, etc. tonight while DH and DS pack my car.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I shook my head reading your post, Winter, shook it like, "Yeah, I know how that is."  What is it about us women that we have to leave the house immaculate when we go away?  My mother did the same, and because I saw her do it, I did - it's not like the house was a total mess to begin with.  Hope today is an easy one at work and goes by fast for you.

G.T. and partner left at 6:00 this morning for their friend's boat on Lake Winnie.  He (friend) is a planner and has most of the hours of the day and night planned with places to see and places to dock for meals.  Our friend who battled cancer (and got a clear test a few months ago), has a summer place not too far from the Lake and she and her husband will meet up with them one of the nights for dinner.  I hope they are getting warm sunny temps up there.  The middle of the Lake can be downright cold on a rainy damp day.

After being carless for a couple of days, I have a multitude of errands to do, we have a family birthday coming up, there's that, and 3 or 4 other things that need to be taken care of.

Going to check again to see if Harry is out under the shrub.  My giant hare was trimming the edge of the lawn again last night.  I had put out the remains of a section of watermelon, hadn't gotten it cut up fast enough and it was past the ripeness that I like.  Put it way up back, but with my "spy" glasses I could see he wasn't interested at all in that.  Didn't see the small bunny, the woman next door said it has been going under their deck and I heard her husband saying something about "chemicals".  Great.  I told her it wouldn't do any harm or try to get into her house, but she has a neighbor on the other side who "chemicals" everything, and who knows what he filled her head with.

Off to start the day.  My list of errands is all written and waits on the table.  I'll check in later.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How will you concentrate, Winter, lol?  How exciting!

We're having my aunt and uncle here Monday - Wednesday, a big bash at SIL's on Saturday the 10th, then my parents will be here the 14th - 17th.  Both Uncle and Dad have big year class reunions in Maine (different years and schools), and they live nearby each other, now, in Central Pennsylvania.  We're part of big trips for both couples.  In-laws might stay here if they go to their daughter's party...they aren't sure yet.  So, August is going to be super busy even though no travel for us.

Gracie is milking her surgery and sleeping in.  Time to get her up and out and fed.

Hope your car will be all set today, tt.

ETA:  missed your post, tt - hope GT and partner will have a nice time up north.  I always bring a heavy sweater all summer long if we ever visit for at least the nights.  Hope you can go up soon and celebrate the cancer free report!  

Those poor rabbits...I hope he doesn't poison them.  DH has been trapping our nut thieves, the chipmunks, and relocating them.  Last year they got every last filbert.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I got the car yesterday afternoon, Kargiver.  Sorry, thought I had put a post on.  Another $300+ , two of those unexpected bills this week.  Both (tooth and car) needed to be taken care of tho, so am hoping washer isn't going to prove a third problem.  Won't put $300 into that tho, will go for a new one if need be.  Not even trying that this morning, want to go out with an easy mind for all the running around I have on my list, and want to be in a carefree mind for clothes shopping with great grandkids tomorrow - not kachinging the totals up in my mind.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny, I thought I had been caught skim reading, again, lol.  Figured you had to have it back if you were about to tackle a list of errands.  It doesn't take long for $1000 of unexpected expenses to add up - that stinks!

we're posting at the same time this morning so want to make sure you saw my eta above to you, tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Are you sure it isn't the squirrels eating the filberts?  For the past month I've been watching the squirrels sit up in my black walnut tree, feasting away on the newly forming nuts.  I think once they're ripe they're too hard for even them to bother with - such a little bit of meat inside and so much work to get it out.  Did it one year even tho my Great Aunt had said "don't bother", and never again.

Cooked up the last of the bacon from the freezer, and enjoying with a cherry poptart which I seem to be hooked on the past month.  So quick and easy and I'm usually sooo hungry in the morning.

I can't bear to ask her about the "chemicals".  I don't want to picture it.  She put in a small garden and has an overabundance of parsley and basil - so what can she expect?  A little bunny's delight.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm not sure how I will concentrate Kar. I know tt, but I need to vaccuum Yoda off of the rug.
    So work is going to pay for me to get my Graphic Design & Digital Imaging Certificate. I do alot of this at work already, but I'd like tobe able to do more of it for them instead of paying the agency to do it. I'll be taking the classes through UMass Lowell, online.

- Darth Vadar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

I'm not sure how I will concentrate Kar. I know tt, but I need to vaccuum Yoda off of the rug.
    So work is going to pay for me to get my Graphic Design & Digital Imaging Certificate. I do alot of this at work already, but I'd like tobe able to do more of it for them instead of paying the agency to do it. I'll be taking the classes through UMass Lowell, online.

- Darth Vadar

That sounds like such as fun class, Winter.  Good for them, they recognize and reward a valuable employee who is willing and eager to take on more responsibilities.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, we assumed it was squirrels, but we've caught and released 3 chipmunks at the base of the tree so we're all but convinced the squirrels are innocent...this time, LOL.  Maybe she won't have the final nerve to put the poison out; it's one thing to talk about it, another to poison the bunnies.

Winter, one day lost to pre-vacation day dreaming isn't so bad. :)  I like to have the house in reasonable order, too, it's just so nice to come home to a clean house.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes it is. Yes, tt, should be interesting. I have to take 9 classes. I suspect the first one to be pretty simple. It starts on September 4th.

Kar, my friend checking on Yoda is allergic to cats, though she LOVES kitties, so I want to make sure there is a good vaccuum on our one rug.

- Darth Vadar

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Woke up last night around 3:30 to very heavy rain. Good for the gardens - we needed it. Looks like it is over for today. Don't see any "green" on the radar.
    Winter, that is exciting taking classes in something you would like to do. Will you be able to study at work? Or is it something you have to add to your after work hours? I am like you. I always make sure the house is picked up and cleaned, before we go away. God forbid a burglar should see my unmade bed LOL. Like tt, my mother always did it, so I do it too. My boys think I am nuts.
    Hope your car now will last you for awhile w/o any problems, tt. Sometimes a new part can rattle the old ones. But your mechanic told you it is a good car, so you have to believe him. Stupid neighbors of yours. Let the rabbits be. Using chemicals is futile. One rabbit, there is many more. Besides, don't they eat the same food?
    I have heard about those mushrooms, Kar, but never used them. I usually stick to the baby portabella and the white champignons. In fact I am going to use them tonight for company. I just finished making Saffron Ice Cream now sitting in the freezer to ripen. For the first time ever I added a bit of Xanthan. That should make it more creamy and eliminate ice crystals. I use only whole milk and light cream in my ice creams, so a bit of thickener will hopefully make it better. All commercial ice creams - except for Haagan Dass - have it.
    I had the house cleaned yesterday, so not much to do around here - except for cooking for tonight.
    Will go to Target later. I am finally breaking down getting a Keuric for the office. Found Target have the lowest price. We have a nice coffee maker, but I am tired of cleaning the coffee pot and throwing out and wasting coffee. Someone wants a cup of coffee, but make a whole pot, and then it sits and simmer all day, so it becomes undrinkable. The single cups will hopefully take care of that problem.
    If I don't get back here later today, have a wonderful and safe vacation, Winter. We will miss you here, and look forward to have you back.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Should this have been in the "Shy thread"?

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

This book was highly recommended to me by a friend who is a Rn with 3 college degrees. 

Front Cover Marti Olsen Laney 33 Reviews http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Introvert_Advantage.html?id=o9yEqgTWR_AC Workman Publishing, 2002 - Family & Relationships - 330 pages At least one out of four people prefers to avoid the limelight, tends to listen more than they speak, feels alone in large groups, and requires lots of private time to restore their energy. They're introverts, and here is the book to help them boost their confidence while learning strategies for successfully living in an extrovert world.

After dispelling common myths about introverts-they're not necessarily shy, aloof, or antisocial-- The Introvert Advantage explains the real issues. Introverts are hardwired from birth to focus inward, so outside stimulation-chitchat, phone calls, parties, office meetings-can easily become "too much."

The Introvert Advantage dispels introverts' belief that something is wrong with them and instead helps them recognize their inner strengths-their analytical skills, ability to think outside the box, and strong powers of concentration. It helps readers understand introversion and shows them how to determine where they fall on the introvert/extrovert continuum. It provides tools to improve relationships with partners, kids, colleagues, and friends, offering dozens of tips, including 10 ways to talk less and communicate more, 8 ways to showcase your abilities at work, how to take a child's temperament temperature, and strategies for socializing. Finally, it shows how to not just survive, but thrive-how to take advantage of the introvert's special qualities to create a life that's just right for the introvert temperament, to discover new ways to expand their energy reserves, and even how, when necessary, to confidently become a temporary extrovert.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo I have a Keurog at home and I LOVE it. I'm the only one that drinks coffee, so much better then a coffee pot. I will have to do this outside of work. They are not requiring me to pursue the certificate, but will pay for it as long as I get higher then a B. Since I graduated with my Bachelor's Magna come (can't speel it the correct way) Laude, don't thin that will be a problem. I would LOVE to get my MBA, but I don't believe they would pay for that and not sure I would have the study time. The Graphic Arts certificate is more designing stuff and putting into newsletters, etc.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, I think this is just awesome. Something, I would have liked to get my fingers into, if I had been younger. I am rooting for that "B" all the way. Even though, you have to study at home, it will be so worth it. Another thing to put on your resume - just in case.
    It is also a great encouragement for DS to see his mom study. Go for it girl!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I think that is wonderful of yoru company Winter, and exciting for you. You seem to enjoy your work, and this will allow to do more of what you enjoy rather than outsource, so a true win-win!   I also wish you a wonderful vacation!!  Have fun.

Recently got a FB message from an old Jr High friend that she is moving back to the neighborhood, and would I like to walk the babies together once they are settled?  We were very, very close then before going to separate high schools.  We used to talk about our future kids being friends.  Might very well happen! LOL!!  I'm also being introduced to a friend of a friend who recently moved to my area and loves kids and dogs for potential babysitting.  She could get two families out of it...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

November, that's great news for you!  Kids and moms need friends.

Winter, great news for you too!  I did a certificate program some years ago and it's been great to be able to use it as leverage - "Well, I have a certificate in....and I learned that it should be this way."

TT, glad you have car back esp. with GT being away for w/e altho your other sons are good to you.

It's Keurig, interesting how you all have your own spellings.  And how BDC does not allow Latin!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks everyone for teh encouragement. Novem, so cool you are connnecting with an old dear friend. I wish I had friends with kids closer to my DS' age. I have three close friends, one has kids, but they are much younger (4 and 20 months). She waited until she was almost 41 for her first, I had DS at 28. She's 4 years older then I am.

- Darth Vadar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, what an exciting pursuit.  I know that in my graduate classes the professors really wanted to you get at least a B and were really supportive - not that they give it away, of course, but they do tend to support the achievement more than they do for undergrads.

That is sad that you had to change the Latin for BDC.  

My folks just got a one-cup of some brand or another and they love it, too.  Great choice for the office, Pingo.  And, I think you can get good deals on cups from BJs or Costco, can't remember where you are a member.

Nov, how nice!  Those childhood musings hardly ever really come true - very cool.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh I'm not worried, I've never gotten anything less than a B. :)

- Darth Vadar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice, Novem to hook up with an old jr. high classmate.  Lots of times I thnk of going on Facebook for just that reason - reconnecting with old chums, but still haven't done it.  Hope you two are living close enough to be able to get together often.

They are getting ready to write Phyllis (my favorite) out of Y&R - not as dead, but as in a deep coma and being transferred to a specialty hospital off the Carolina's.  Rumor is that in real life she has adopted a dau and wants to spend more time with her.  -  So, that leaves it open that she may at some time come back.

I'm going to do a quick dry mopping and bathroom cleaning this afternoon, and that's it.  House is still pretty slick from last week-end's cleaning.  This group coming tomorrow wouldn't notice, anyway.

Spoke with neighbor and asked if she had seen the little bunny any more, and she said, yes, he had been out there last night.  I didn't bring up what I had heard, and neither did she.  I kidded her about her crop of basil and parsley, saying that's what bunnies loved, and she said yes, there was plenty, he could have some -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I live on the street I grew up on.  She is moving back to the street she grew up on.  Two blocks away.