August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August 2013

Indeed, that pesto Gouda is waaaaaay good.  TJ's sells such unique and tasty things.  I love to go with time to browse.

Trappist jams and jellies are another fav - had no idea they made pepper jelly. Thanks, hats!

got an early batch of pickles started so I can hopefully can the zucchini pickles and the cucumber ones after.

dh is away on business so I just had leftover Chinese for breakfast. :)  now, for a nice cuppa before I get knee deep in canning. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Kargiver, you have such sustained energy - did I have that at your age?  Probably, I just forget.  My big decision today is whether or not to get around and head out this morning.  Don't really have things that have to be done today especially, and I was out yesterday, so think I'll make a cup of regular coffee and then decide.  It may give me that little umpth I need.

Neighbor gave me a couple of too large cukes, and I think I'll slice at least one of them up and put it in the pickle jar with remaining dill slices.  There!  Now I can say I made pickles this summer!

I'm not a spicey person, jam or otherwise, but do love the Trappist jams.  Job Lots has them a lot of times, not sure of the price, I really don't keep that careful a check on what something costs at this stage - if I really want it, I buy it.

Chinese?  I have the leftover container of Chinese that I was going to salvage the boneless pork ribs from and freeze - only thing they still sit in a bag in my fridge.  Thanks for reminding me - that will go in the trash when I put it out later.  Do you thnk overnight the animals will smell it and tear the trash apart? 

Mattress is working out well.  Another good night's sleep last night.  Only thing taking getting used to is, there is added warmth.  I'm sure in another couple of months I'll love that aspect of it.  Have left that afghan I pulled from the hope chest folded on the l.r. couch for the cooler nights TV watching now.  Kept falling asleep last night, so never got to watch Jeff Lewis.  I'll catch it on the rerun next week.

Kiddies back to school today, at least my kiddies are.  I think they were ready.  They had a good summer, a busy one, and I'm sure it was starting to wind down now.  Their parents are able to give them so many more opportunities to experience new things than I could do with their father and his brothers.  But, that's what life is all about, each generation doing a little better.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Well, Winter, I'm out o fideas, so your DH will just have to fend for himself the night you have my pizza!  Although I've made two at a time - one on each rack of the overn - so you could make a DH friendly one as well.

We got baby girl a little kitchen set.  She is in her glory, moving the pieces all around with no particular thought to purpose of course.  Last night the mixer came out of the fridge and went into the stackable washing machine.  And this morning I found a Rhino taking a bath in the little sink.  This is such a fun age!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, glad the mattress is working out so far. My son is sad that camp is ending, he's been a CIT this year and they "service" (when they watch the younger kids twice at week at his age). He said he likes the 5/6 year olds best they listen. The 9/10 year olds not so much..lol. I have to get him black dress shoes this weekend and I don't think he needs a haircut as it looks good when he decides to comb it. I'm not a fan of the messy hair looked, but haven't complained becuase it's summer.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yeah, I don't think DH was exposed to this stuff as a child. He also hates rice! who hates rice? I love it, but don't have it much anymore because we're not going to make two meals. Though I am going to keep your pizza idea, because I think DS would love it. He likes when I make chicken, brocolli and zitit when DH isn't home. At least she was giving the Rhino a bath. :) Love that she is putting the mixer in all of these places.  

- Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, tt!

Gosh, I wish I had more stamina - I push myself to keep up.  However, like everything, when you enjoy the task at hand you seem to have more energy for it, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the jam process...and result!

Refridgerator pickles count!  That's a great way to use those cukes, tt, and they last quite awhile in the fridge not having been actually canned for long term.  The only step you're skipping is the boiling of the filled jars in the water bath...yours will be crispier for that.

Glad you and Gracie are still loving your memory foam gel beds.  Forgot to ask her about her bum. ;)

Yes, if I were a raccoon, I'd make a huge mess to get to that trash, tt.

I don't know what I pay for groceries, individually, either. DH used to ask me how much was this and that, and stopped after I asked in response if I needed to decide if we were going to have milk that week BASED on the price.  Of course not so my answer would have always been I dunno.

And, since losing weight and getting to my ultimate size goal I've adopted (at least temporarily) a similar attitude with clothes and shoes.  You only live once, and I'm tired of skimping alllll the time.  I'm not paying full price for things, but I'm not aiming to spend less than $10 on each piece at a thrift shop, either.  Rue La La and Hautelook have been good sources of my spree that, after a few more Fall/Winter pieces, is winding down.

So, are you going out, tt?  It's hot and humid...  Have a great day either way. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sat on my post awhile and missed the ones after tt's.

Nov, that is so cute!  The trips' sis (3 yo) has one in their kitchen and uses it with great gusto all the time.  I'm sure your dd will get years of fun out of it, too.

Winter, indeed, who hates rice, lol?  I guess it's all what you got used to growing up.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Cream cheese on cracker with pepper jelly will be on the snack menu this weekend, when the kids are here. And so will November's pizza. Any other good (and easy) ideas?
    Glad to hear the mattress is working out for you so far, tt. Extra heat, I don't need. That would be a big problem for me. How is the odor?
    Shopped all day yesterday w/ DS.  When he was here in April, he bought 4 new pair of jeans. They were falling off him. He has lost a lot of weight by running, so he needed new jeans and shorts again. He was never really heavy, but he looks super good now. His good suit pants need to be taken in as well, I am sure. Glad I am able to do that.
    He ordered 7 pair of shoes as well over the net. Not that he is keeping them all. But he wanted a variety to try. Most importantly new running shoes. Free shipping and returns.
    Office is calling today. DS will come along and do some work there. Then we will have lunch w/ DH - probably Bercucci's.
    Ready to leave as soon as my dryer stops. Have a good day everyone.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats to DS, Pingo, for getting where he wants to be, too - his MOM is a dramatic inspiration, I know.  Good running shoes are a necessity. The technology today prevents so much joint and disk damage...as you know, of course.

When you serve the cream cheese and pepper jelly be heavy handed on the jelly, not just a garnish-like drizzle - omgosh, I'll be there, ok?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"So, are you going out, tt?  It's hot and humid...  Have a great day either way. :)"

Left 5 minutes ago!  haha

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have fun!  I don't have a data plan on my iPad or phone so if I'm posting I'm either home (99%) or at a hotspot if I've bothered to take the iPad with me.  I forget that others can post on the go!  Happy trails. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hates rice?!  Does he really hate these things, or does he jsut think he hates them because he hasn't had them or isn't used to them?  Does he "try"?  I'm personally trying to expand my palate for baby girl's benefit.  There are a lot of foods I didn't think I liked, like avacado and hummus, but am now incorporating into my rotation.  I want to exposse her to all kinds of foods because I feel like I have a limited list of things I eat.

Kar - have you been on Zulily? (warning - its addictive!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He has tried them. He also doesn't like aspargus (sp).

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

tt, glad the mattress is working out so far. My son is sad that camp is ending, he's been a CIT this year and they "service" (when they watch the younger kids twice at week at his age). He said he likes the 5/6 year olds best they listen. The 9/10 year olds not so much..lol. I have to get him black dress shoes this weekend and I don't think he needs a haircut as it looks good when he decides to comb it. I'm not a fan of the messy hair looked, but haven't complained becuase it's summer.

- Darth Vadar

That's great that he enjoyed the camp and all the opportunities that went along with it.  My GS has a buzz cut just like his father, his uncle, and everyone else they know.  His father has beautiful curly, wavy hair and I can't understand - well, yes, I guess I can.  Being in law enforcement he felt the curly hair wasn't quite the image he wanted!

Flew out and got a few things done.  Route 1, Pingo, if you can believe it is practically trafficless!  Of course I got in about 20 minutes ago, but even so, I was prepared for heavy traffic coming and going.  No problem getting in and out of the exits.  Enjoy your shopping with DS.

P.S.  You're right, Kargiver - - muggy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, my mother was great at introducing me to new foods but not forcing me to eat whole portions of food I didn't like so I approach it like that today - I'll try anything.  That came in handy when I was in Korea, lol.  I like just about anything.  I've never been on Zulily...I've seen ads for it, though, on bdc.

Winter, your DH hates all my favorites!  I see asparagus as candy from the ground, lol.

ETA:  tt, glad you got a few things checked off the list. Yes, getting warmer and steamier in here by the minute.  I have the shades pulled, but water bath canning sure does put a lot of moisture in the air!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Heating up a piece of eggplant for lunch.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh I don't think he likes eggplant either..lol. Kar, when we go out to eat and his steak comes with asparagus I get happy because I know I'm going to get it.

MY DS can't get a buzz cut, it's not allowed in the school dress code. He got one at the beginning for summer, so know I think it looks nice, we'll see what he thinks.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I've got a really good memory for prices, so if I know something is cheaper at MB, and I go to MB every week, then I will buy it there if it is not an emergency.  What I really resent is going to a place like Job Lots, BLDG 19 or CTS, where they are buying merchandise that has been returned or salvaged, and the price is the same or more than at a retail store.  The Trappist jams are a case in point; CTS gets all the stuff that stores have returned (large amounts of port wine jelly, ginger marmalade, cranberry conserve, etc and smaller amounts of common stuff such as strawberrry, raspberry, etc.)  They used to charge 30 cents less than MB did - now it's the same price.  So I buy at MB because it's fresher.

Pingo, I posted the recipe over in Chatter's recipes.  You could do chicken the same way, adjusting the cooking time down. 

Kar, I agree about piling the jelly on; we usually have to top it up halfway through the party.

My strange diet means no spinach or asparagus or beans either.  I'm not following it slavishly - there are so few foods on it I would be dead if I did.  But I'm cutting out the things that I think are the worst culprits and those I can live without.  For example, tuna is out - ok, fine, I love it but it's really bad for me so I'll eat chicken salad instead.  The cabbage family is out - not nuts about anything but broccoli, but I"ll live w/o it.  Dairy is bad - I love it but I have cut out yogurt - a former staple, milk, cream and therefore coffee!  It's helping, I think.  OTOH, I'm not going entirely dairy free; I'll still eat quiche because the eggs are one of the few sources of allowable protein.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, sorry that you're on such a restricted diet.  Almost takes the joy out of eating.  Is this just something temporary or will it be a permanent way of eating?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Temp or permanent?  I don't know.  What I do know is that the limited extent to which I have implemented it now (and it's only been a week) has helped me dramatically.  If the unbearable symptom is controlled by this limited implementation, then I will live with it and the bearable symptoms.  I don't want to be too specific here...details would be too identifiable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I understand, it's just that you made a pretty substantial list of foods you should avoid.  I do understand, anonymity has always been one of my prime concerns.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cooler breeze coming in window now.  Think I'll take advantage and bake some custard.  Tomorrow I'm thinking will be whoopie pies to have in the freezer - for as long as they stay there, that is.

Anyone going away this last long week-end of summer?  Any plans?  None here.  G.T. and partner are going down the Cape for 4 days.  Intown son is getting two of his kids ready for college, not sure of the other two sons' plans.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh Whoppie pies, when should I be over? I believe we are having the season's last pool party. DH doesn't like the leaves to start falling on it, so we'll close it up the weekend of the 7/8.

- Darth Vadar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I would be careful regarding food items from Job Lot, Bldg 19, CTS.

Often they don't have a visible expiration date and come from countries I have never heard of, lol.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

I would be careful regarding food items from Job Lot, Bldg 19, CTS.

Often they don't have a visible expiration date and come from countries I have never heard of, lol.

Having lived the number of years I have, my intelligence level is such that I know enough to check expiration dates on products no matter where I purchase them, and also buy as many items as possible that are grown/packaged in USA.   I like to think my co-chatters are at the same level of intelligence, we are not kids.  However, I'll just speak for myself.