August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August 2013

Hats, I agree, the power of extended family has been largely lost - and what an amazing example of it your family shows.  Yes, DH has mentored the young man next door and I have tutored kids in danger of not graduating due to a failing math course for free because their parents couldn't afford to pay me.  I was paid, anyway, when they graduated knowing they CAN do math (and pretty much anything else).  The time I spend with the trips' family, though, is just as much for me - the parents and I are very close.  I met the mom soon after they started dating and knew she was the ONE for him.  how life has changed since then!

tt, that's too bad - enjoy your book, though.

Winter, no party for 75?  I'd be there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Have been grocery shopping and cooking up a storm for our weekend's smorgas board, so I don't have to do it, while the boys are here. It is very time consuming. Ice creams are in the freezer. Still have to do some more cooking tmw., and I want to stop at Whole Foods tmw. to pick up some of their special cheeses.
    They will arrive late, so I still have some time tmw. That is good, for I am p00ped now. Already announced, that we will eat out tonight - I am done for the day.
    I may not be much on the Chat over the weekend. Hope you all will have a great Labor Day weekend, whatever your plans or no plans are.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, what a busy day, Pingo - we understand wanting to get it all done ahead and how exhausting that is.  Have fun out at a deserved dinner prepared by someone else and get a good night's rest so you can enjoy your family and all your hard work.

Happy Anniversary!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Got up at 6:00 to the rumble of thunder in the distance, but it never came this way.  Now tho, it has started large rain drops, and the earth smells so good.  Caught the morning TV weather and I think Winter is right in that it won't be pool party days.  Cool air coming in the window right now (no smoke, she must not be up yet), but I guess we're in for humidity.

Back to the subject of non-parents influencing kids - Hats is right in her evaluation of how much you and your DH already are making a contribution to kids that might not biologically be your own.  And I agree that it's entirely possible to love those children every bit as much as tho they were.

Everyone touches each other's life that they come in contact with.  My mother had a good friend who lived in Milford NH and who because she had asthma and we always had a houseful of pets, we only saw a couple of times a year.  She was my Aunt Kate, and how I loved her.  To me, she was the mysterious, husky voiced, movie star friend of my mother's, never in a housedress like my mother wore, but heels, nylons, suits - in actuality, she was the town telephone operator, working on a switchboard that was set up in her home.  She never married, having fallen in love with a divorced man the church frowned on, and they "lived together in sin" for all of their lives.  How much more Hollywood movie glamourous could you get?!  She would drive all the way down to Lynn when it was her turn to be the visitor, and sit on our front steps for fear of all the animal allergies that waited inside.  No one could have been any different from my canning, sewing, baking home based mother, but she gave me an image of a different kind of woman, a "working woman" (no other mothers I knew worked), a strong woman who made  her own way in the world, giving up the dream of having children of her own to be with the man she loved.  I adored her.

Seeing as there is no thunder/lightening here as yet, think it's a good time to jump in the shower and then get dressed.  Did you notice that a couple of jars of pickles were missing this morning, Kargiver?  I had a tough time finding your house, and getting past that new storm door your DH built, but it was worth the trip.  Ate one of the pickles on the long drive back home - delicious!

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Have been feted all morning with flowers, cards, telephone calls etc. Coffee was made and we were hanging out for a bit. DS had gave us a gorgeous orchid. Lovely salmon pink color, I have never seen before.
    Just realized, that since I worked hard yesterday, there is not much more to do today. Only have to stop at WH for some cheeses. Also have to make a strata for tmw. breakfast. Asparagus and ham. Going out for lunch. Don't know, where we will end up. Our to-go-to place on the ocean is no fun, when it rains.
    Hope you all will have a good day, despite the lousy weather.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hello all--Happy Labor Day weekend.So nice to see I was missed on one of the threads here. I think of you all often, and have lurked a few times, but didn't feel I had anything to contribute.  FB and Pinterest control my time--that is getting too much.   So with only looking back a page,  I can see Pingo has DS coming, and Kar is canning. Of course, TT is baking whoopine pies, and kids going back to school---can't believe summer is almost over. I had a nice 4 day weekend down the cape last week with my two BFFS.  Lots of food, wine, and shopping. Then brunch on the Odyssey two weeks ago with two couples who take good care of me. Both guys were my husbands Bffs since they were little, and we all are good friends.  Boy--muggy today-I think  I will turn the AC on. I will have my kids over tomorrow--not sure what to cook yet. I did not do any "cookouts" this year--now I am wanting hot dogs and burgers,  but everyone else is probably sick of them. Lobsters for $3.99 at S&S--maybe I will get a bunch all cooked, and do cold food....will have to decide!  Pingo--I love a smorgasboard--all different "pickies". What are you doing on yours? 

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well, Tulips, you can always get a couple of burgers just in case someone is 'picky.' No need to tell them it's you...then eat them so they don't go to waste.

Sounds as if you have had a couple of fun and invigorating events to go to while you are resetting the buttons on life.  I'm sure it's hard, even though you sound as if you are fighting the good fight.

We have lots to do this weekend; nothing fun though!  It's the beginning of the new school year rather than the end of summer.  I have showered, now must dress and get going.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So nice to see a post from you Tulip. You were so missed. Sounds like you are doing ok with lots of good friends. I am sure it must be a struggle not to have DH around, but it looks like you are keeping your self busy. I have never done Pinterest; don't know what it is all about. I am not on FB either. MY kids are, and I see how addicted they are to it. Constantly texting and reading. I don't want to start.
    Have fun w/your children tomorrow. Don't think it will be much of a cook-out weather though. Your idea of cooking lobsters ahead of time, sounds great. MB had them on sale last week, and I was thinking of doing the same for rolls, but my family loves to sit and pick them and do clams and oysters at the same time. We spend hours that way. Shaw's have them on sale this week; didn't know S&S has them on sale too.
    Please try to check in again, whenever you can. Just give up FB for half and hour - LOL.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I left them out just in case - I can just imagine the hard time you had finding the house.  Gracie must have recognized you since she didn't make a peep.  Glad you enjoyed them!  I so enjoyed reading about your speicial Aunt Kate.

Tulips, welcome back!  I never tire of burgers and dogs, by the way, but you can't be lobster for $4/lb!!  Have fun!

Pingo, enjoy your family, anniversary, and all the goings on! Ask for help. :)

We don't have big plans, but here on the Kargiver homestead there's always a lot to do.  DH is currently fixing broken spots in Gracie's fence wire and spreading the crushed granite (load 3) over the back 1/3rd of the driveway (behind the house).

I'm not sure what I'm going to accomplish.  Made pancakes for breakfast and a fried, pounded, and potato chip breaded chicken breast with refrigerator pickles (from leftover brine and veggies that didn't fit in the preserved batches) for lunch.  Wow, that was yummy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We finally had a little rain, but just before it started I was back in the house from S&S.  Coupon for $5 off of $50 total bill, so extended my scimpy list a bit to include baking items I'd have been out of in another week or so.  When I first got there (9'ish?) hardly anyone there, but by the time I had filled my basket, so had dozens of  other people, so many that they opened up the rest of the checkout lanes.  Potato pancakes are on my mind for tomorrow or Monday, so bought some sour cream, and chicken tenders to fry up.

Tulips, so glad to see you back on our boards.  I love Pinterest too.  Haven't actually joined, but you can get quite a few ideas by just scanning the pages.  Never did get on FB, as I've said before, because my kids are all on there and I don't want them to be self conscious about anything they might write about.

Kargiver, your lunch sounds delicious.  I had a mini eclair when I got home, then a whoopie pie I forgot I had defrosted before I went out, and then I put some sliced tomatoes with mozzarella on top and a little dressing sprinkled over, under the broiler.  I'll probably be eating all afternoon. - Lady that was two shoppers in front of me literally had her cart filled with all the day old bakery goods - cakes, pies, half pies, muffins and rolls, danish.  She must have a separate freezer where she puts all that stuff.  I was tempted to pick up one of their apple pies, but I still have a bag of Early Cortlands I got at Brooksby's to do with - apple crisp tomorrow, I'm thinking, and then maybe some applesauce to go with the potato pancakes.

As for Gracie being quiet, I'll tell you my secret - - BACON!  You didn't smell it on her breath this morning?

Hats, take a leisurely time getting things ready for the first day of school. Always an exciting time.

Enjoy your day, Pingo.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm addicted to Pinterest.  Shamefully so.  Don't tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You fed her bacon?!  Oh, my, I'm sure she loves you more than me, now, lol.  No, I didn't smell it - she's very, very thorough...every trace was GONE!!  Good you resisted those "treats" - you spoil yourself with your homemade yummies and I know you'd wonder why you bought something.  I know someone who had that much of that store bought stuff she stored IN HER OVEN.  Clearly the oven wasn't used, LOL!!!

Hats, enjoy - I won't tell. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I won't tell, Hats!  I wound up buying 5 lobsters--2 I blanched and are in the freezer now - 3 I fully cooked, and will do something with--maybe salad.  My elderly neighbor--94-died last week. Now his family-who NEVER came--are throwing  everything into a dumpster. So sad- and disgusting that they did not call someone to donate/ take away the useable things. I saw some beautiful things there..may go dumpster diving! One thing looked like a black Hitchcock rocker- I am hoping they put that aside and will take it themselves--nosy me. So sad--but his wife died about 15 years ago--they are happy together again, I hope. Anyway--I have a broken ankle, so dumpster diving is not really on my agenda! DD is coming  over tonight- we will have a nice visit with a little wine and neighbors.

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

OOOHHHH, a scandal and a sin!  Maybe DD can get some good stuff out of the dumpster.  Sorry to hear about your ankle - prayers for healing!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, everyone!

You will not believe what I did - messed up the router security so bad I couldn't access the Internet to fix it!  I could have from the PC, but its switch is broken, and from the iPad I was dead in the water.  Town friend came over with her laptop this afternoon and I got things straightened out, again.

So sad about your neighbor and his family tossing everything, Tulips...so strange.  What happened to your ankle?

Hope everyone is enjoying the last of the 3 day weekend.  I'm making more peach jam right now...

Sections
Shortcuts