August 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: August 2013

AHA!  Let me go look.

ETA:  "Perfect Percale.  400 thread count.  100% Egyptian cotton"

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Huh, interesting - I've never seen "percale" with "100% cotton," but at least we've solved your wrinkle mystery.  Any sheets that are 100% cotton will wrinkle even the long staple variety, although, long staple helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In the old days, percale was the best cotton.  My mother used only 100 cotton percale by Wamsutta on her own bed.  I still have some of those sheets which were purchased in the 60s/70s/80s by my great aunt; she gave my mother one sheet each year for Christmas.  Wear like iron, no wrinkle if you take them from the dryer immediately. I still have the towels I took to college in the 70s too.  The new stuff just can't compare, thread count or no thread count.  I think the reason is the strength of what they used for the warp and the weft, that is the up and down threads.  The back and forth threads are not as important, but that's what this modern 'thread count' is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cheeeeeeseeeeeecaaaaaake......that pretty much sums up my thoughts right now, hahaha.  Oh, that and I hope Gracie chooses to use the restroom before 2:00 today.

What a glorious post-rain day for everyone's plans.  Have a great day!  I'll be around, but need to go to the dump, finish cleaning for in-laws, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got up - pain free.  Swelling is down too, and redness.  Maybe it was gout, read on one of the blurbs that it lasts 24 - 48 hours.  My miracle drug, ibuprofen, took one of those again last night plus soaked it.  Anyway, I'm taking this as a sign that I'm meant to find my kitchen table today.  Had put my DIL on hold for tomorrow too, and now she'll be able to come and we'll shop.

Muggy last night, had the a/c on and then off, as it got too cool and the noise bothered me.  But right now I'd better get around, get something ironed to wear.  Imagine they'll be down bright and early, looking forward to one of my scones - boy will they be surprised - they're such funny looking things.

Hats, I too had sheets and towels that lasted years.  When I got engaged I used to to go into T.W. Rogers or Burroughs (Spelling doesn't look right to me) in Lynn every week when I got paid and buy either a towel set or sheets for my hope chest.  Had those for years and years.  I must say these last night were soft and comfortable, just need an owner who has time and the wanting to iron them.  Never ironed sheets in my life.  I remember visiting my mother's cousin in Maine when I was a teen, and she had one of those commercial, I suppose it was, ironers.  She did all her sheets.

Ok, I'm up to shower and iron - clothes, that is!  Wish me luck with the crowds.  I'm not fond of them, and G.T. has even less tolerance for them.

Have fun with your get together today, Kargiver.  Hope the cheesecake turns out perfect when you cut into it.  I'm sure it will.

I'll be on later - with news of my new kitchen set, I hope.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, fabulous to get up so much better!  That will make the people seem more tolerable.  I can't imagine spending time with people who would write you off for foot pain.  They should consider how much of a pain in the you know what they are.

I'll let you know how it tastes and will post a photo later of the cut cake.  

I noticed something else I love about the range yesterday.  Wanting to let the cheesecake cool very slowly so as not to crack (before I thought of topping it), I opened the oven a crack thinking it would have the average required space of 5 or so inches (my replaced one actually was more like 10" before it wouldn't snap closed), and I found to my glee that it stays where you put it down to about an inch open.  It's the little things. :)

My great-grandmother ironed sheets, but that tradition stopped with her - my grandmother covered wrinkled sheets with a quilt and was done with them!  Don't suppose I have to tell you how my mom and I handle it. ;)

Hope you'll have a good time in spite of the less than gracious company, tt.  At least your foot doesn't hurt!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hey, Kargiver, these "people" you are talking about is my son, G.T. !  They simply aren't old enough to have had "old age" aches and pains, and still are in the mode that you can "walk through" most things and they'll go away.  It's kind of "payback", in a way.  I know when I was in my 30's I wasn't all that tolerant of my mother's inability to keep up with us when we climbed up back blueberry picking, or when she'd say to one of the boys, "Oh, be careful of my knee (arthritis)".  You don't know until you've walked in those shoes, that not all things you can get through by just forging ahead.  -  have trouble walking distances, well, just get out there and walk  - doesn't work when there are other problems too.  When I was first having bursitis in my hip, G.T. asked an older friend of his how old she was when she had her hip replaced, and thought that was the way I should go!  No, thanks.  Part of it is they just don't like to face the fact that I'm getting older.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, goodness - you said they'd write you off for limping around - you must have been kidding!  That's a relief. :)  Indeed, it is hard to empathize before you experience pain yourself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In-laws are due any second...no lunch, though, since they said they want to go ready for a big feast at SIL's.  The house is as clean as it's going to get, and I need a bite to eat.  I can't go famished anywhere I get grumpy and headachy.  Gracie finally decided to use the restroom before   7 pm, thankfully, so that means I don't have to stay home.  I thought the in-laws were going directly to the party so I could take our car home early if need be and DH could go home later with them, but they are coming here and we're all going together.

What have I got around here to eat that won't make a mess?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I had my brown rice, chicken, mushrooms,with walnuts, parsley, onion and chopped celery, a salad, and peach pie for dessert.  I'm set for an hour or two, and then some!  Finished off the bottle of wine in the fridge.

No table, no cabinet for the kitchen.  Just didn't see anything that spoke to me.  Did see a hutch bottom that I liked, but it was a pale green, and I don't want to introduce another color on a big piece in the kitchen.  On one hand, G.T. offered to paint it, and then on the other, said the shelf that pulled out was not strong enough for me to prepare and knead on.

Wandered up to the mattress room and did buy a new mattress and box spring.  In fact, salesman directed me to a lower priced one than I was looking at, saying with hip problems this one would be easier on my hips, since I lay on my side.  That will come in 2 weeks.

We did stop in Home Depot for a couple of things and a lady came up to me and chatted about ceiling fixtures I was looking at, and then said, "How old are you?"  I told her and she said, "I'm 91" - Told her she had to kidding, she looked younger than me.  Wonder if she drove herself there, she was all alone and just as spry and with it as me, carrying her own purchase.

Came home, ate, G.T. did a little yard work, and now they have left to do some shopping of their own back in their neck of the woods.  Foot/toe is feeling fine.

Have a great time at your SIL's Kargiver.  It's a beautiful day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well, TT, I hope that your toe was one of those mysterious things that comes and goes and not something chronic like gout.  Sorr that you did not find your kitchen set. 

Kar glad that Gracie cooperated and you are at the party.  Sounds as if she is getting better. 

I got a lot of errands done or partly done today; I admit it, I didn't want to brave the rain yesterday so I just did laundry and put off until today what I should have done yesterday.  OTOH we found a dress that DD needs for a special occasion, for which she has been looking all summer and ....we bought it without her there and ....it fits perfectly and .....it was free!!! marked down - minus the bonus points and with a gift card we had been given, and we have 7$ left on the card.  Glory hallelujah.  It was worth not taking the field trip we had planned (DD is sick, just a cold but she is in no shape to have fun.) We had anticipated having to trek to Wrentham next weekend, so it saved us so much time to find it at home.

So it's the old Costco chicken for supper tonight. 

TT how is SS this weekend?

Pingo, you must have enjoyed the deck this morning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon,
    Good your bunion was behaving this morning, tt. Sorry, you didn't find what you were looking for. Have you searched the net?
    I iron everything, but sheets I would never do. What's the purpose, they wrinkle again as soon as you lay down on them. I think one of the reasons, our great grand parents and grand parents did iron their sheets, was they had no dryers so they hung them outside and they dried up to become card boards. Ironing made them softer. My mother didn't iron sheets, but I used to take a stack on my bike to be rolled and pressed. I wash my sheets and put them right back on. This way they smooth out nicely.
    Re thread count. There is a lot of confusion out there. An 800 count may actually not be more than a 200 count. The manufacturer cheat the customers, by spinning several very thin, short threads together. So if they use  3 ply threads, it becomes a 600 count. According to our friend, who is a Textile Engineer, a 200 count made with one long thread is much stronger and last longer than the 400, 600, 800 or more counts. That's why old sheets last forever, while the newer need to be replaced often.
    Kar, have a good time tonight at your in-laws. Sorry, you got early company, but I think it made sense for them to stop by at your place to get ready after traveling. Your cheese cake sounds delicious.
    Came back from the shower/ lunch. Kept at home with finger sandwiches and a punch. Very nice, and not too overwhelming. Then of course a delicious cake. It had strawberries and rum, and a wonderful non-sweet frosting. Was made by the bride's aunt. My gift got accepted well, especially from the attendants and my friend, the bride's mom. The bride hardly looked at it, but that cannot be expected during a shower. Too busy to open all the gifts. I am happy with the way it went.
    Made ginger ice cream for company tmw. Have decided to do my rack in my oven, the way I know. Would be terrible to ruin such an expensive piece of meat. Was looking at a flank steak, but since I have never done one on the grill, I didn't dare to chance it. Did pick up a small one I will marinate  and do some evening for ourselves.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats,
    We posted more or less at the same time. Yes, indeed, we enjoyed our deck this morning. Glad for you, you found a dress for your DD. Isn't that true. Things like that happens, when you least expect it. Your daughter must be so delighted, that her cold disappears.
    Enjoy your Costco chicken. We had that for dinner last night. With cucumber salad and Cranberry sauce, as we usually do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds as tho you had a profitable day, Hats.  Lucky find on the dress.

Haven't talked with SS for a couple of days.  She gets on and reads some of the postings, but I think it's still uncomfortable for her to sit and post.

Told Cat Lady about the mattress find and gave her the really helpful salesman's name, but she is uneasy about getting out into the 128 traffic.  She had been telling me she needed a new one.  I probably wouldn't have driven out there either, but with someone else picking you up and driving - -

Can't even think of supper yet.  We ate lunch later than usual, and I more than my usual salad.  Just thirsty from the rice/mushroom/chicken dish.  Would love a nice cold beer, but I read that beer particularly is bad for the whatevers that cause gout.  Guess I'll grab a cold water out of the fridge.  Will keep the appt. with the podiatrist Monday and see what she says by looking at foot.  Cannot get over the quick recovery myself.  2 ibuprofen??

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, your post was there when mine came up.

Sounds like a nice shower.  Glad your gift was well received.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks to you, my friend, who got me into yo-yos. And of course my DIL, who suggested it. Considering everything (including a crazy bride) it was a really nice shower, and I am glad I went.
    Remember the olden times, where showers were always held at someones home, and the gifts were put together with much needed things? Like a sewing basket for repairs and such, a bucket w/ a mop, broom and such. Then of course sheets, towels and such. There were no registries. How things has changed. I once went to a shower, where we were 3 people getting together for a blender. That was a big thing in those days. If I remember correctly, we each contributed about $15. Can't get much of a bridal or baby shower gift for $15 today. LOL

- Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, Pingo, I hear you...and of course at a home shower people can actually talk to each other.  I remember the gifts I was given when I use them.  The coffeemaker from Auntie J, the placemats from W, etc. - every time I use/used them I think of the people. With the number of guests and gifts now, people probably can't remember each gift and who gave them.  I think that's something valuable lost.   As for the handmade things, well, that's really special and I am glad the bride's mother was happy.  Because really, since you can't make the bride happy, you might as well shoot for the mom.

DD is better.  She got some (slightly) bad news yesterday and is busily turning lemons into lemonade.  It's not one of my traits; I admire her for it.

TT when you do talk to SS let her know we are thinking of her.  Wonder how Winter's vaca is going.  My sister used to live down there; thinks sometimes of going back, she told me.  I am surprised because I thought that since she became a grandmother she would not think of leaving where she is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Don't know what I'm doing up so early (6:00 I got up actually), since I sat up thinking a program I wanted to see was airing at 11:30!  Then, I was overtired and couldn't fall asleep.  Harry came stretching out from under the shrub - do they ever let that cat in where he lives?  Again this morning, didn't want the food I put out, just preferred to talk and roll around.  Cheerio went right to the door and stuck her head out, to be sure he had no thoughts of coming in.  She doesn't go for all this "cuteness" on his part!

Have taken a large container of lasagna (that last kind with the Mexican shredded cheese) out of the freezer and will heat that up today for dinner for whomever comes with DIL.  I actually had a piece the next day, and it sort of gained a little more flavor.  Not my best certainly, but with a little extra tom sauce over it, and some fresh scones I'll make this morning, we'll get by.  Hoping the two teens are able to come to shop.  The boy usually has scrimmage now that football has started, and the girl did not have her work schedule for the week-end, the last we talked.  Now these types of stores we will be  hitting today will be the ones that are mobbed, I imagine.  DIL or her dau will do the driving, so again, the traffic won't worry me.  Hoping Lilly likes the clothes I bought - seems like ages ago I did that shopping, well, guess it was, probably 3, maybe 4 weeks ago now.

Going to get dressed, eat, and then knead out some scones, using my old measuring cups today, haha.  G.T.'s partner did an experiment with my new ones - poured 3/4 cup of water from my old cup into the new 1 cup, and it filled up to that line that is on there below the top rim.  So that was my problem - I thought that was the stop line for 1 cup, and doing that measuring twice, skimped my scones of 1/2 cup of flour.  No wonder they were such floppy looking things - tho they said they were good (partner had two!)

How was the party at your SIL's, Kargiver?  Did everything go nicely?

Looks like a beautiful day out there. Enjoy.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Quick good morning, all - in-laws are here.  Party was great (no BIL - it was kept secret), and the cheesecake was such a hit I literally couldn't take a picture; it was descended on and devoured.  I was admonished for not bringing two!  

Church in 15 minutes, I was just informed - great.  Will have to catch up and respond later today.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Nice cool night. Good sleeping weather. Saw dew on the grass earlier - well it is the middle of August.
    How is your toe this morning, tt? Still good enough to go shopping? Hope you will have a successful shopping day, despite the tax free weekend. Clothing stores should not be too bad, since they are always tax free.
    You need to keep a party secret, so BIL won't show up, Kar? That says more than words. Glad it was a success and that your Cheese Cake was devoured. But why shouldn't it be? You are a seasoned cook and baker.
    This morning, preparations for tonight's company. They come from RI, so they will be here early, not to drive 2 hours home late at night. Hope the weather is such, we can enjoy a drink or two outside.
    Have a good day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Couple pulling their son in the wagon with the covered wagon-like topping, just went by again.  It's the cutest thing.  Wish I could post pics and would surely snap one of them and post it.

Heard from DIL and she, Lilly and Lilly's bro are coming.  As feared, older teen has to go into work earlier than what they could get back home.  Too bad the original plans fell through, that had worked for everyone, but then, of course, noone could foresee DIL's fa's illness.

I'm going to get a wash in and then make up a batch of scones.  Other than that, free day ahead as far as cooking - wait, I may make some kind of pastry dessert for the kids.

Such a comfortable morning.  Oh, forgot to tell you, sitting at table yesterday with the boys, looked out and there was a hummingbird flitting from sunflowers to wisteria.  Don't know that he could get nectar out of either, but the butterfly bushes were nearby, perhaps he stopped there too.

Oh - just got a call back.  Older teen wants to come, as long as they can leave here by 3:00 so she can be back home for work at 4:00 - Of course, I said.  We'll shop first, they can bring a scone in the car to eat on the way, and then we'll have the lasagna when we get  back and they can keep an eye on the clock.  So glad she is coming.  I love the outfits she puts together.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, it is beautiful outside, warm but sunny and breezy!

TT, so glad you will get to see the older girl.

I had ice cream yesterday so I can hear about your cheesecake without suffering Kar.  I am glad it turned out well.

I just did my grocery shopping, and as soon as i get it put away, can start puttering. Unless we decide on a late beach run, but I think it won't happen since DD is sick and DH will be mowing.  Have fun all!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Group just left.  What a great day.  Found quite a few things for the boy, and the teenage girl made out like a bandit in T.J.Maxx, saw so many things she liked, just the style she likes to put together.  Then her grandma bought her a couple of pairs of pants in Hot Topics (which I wouldn't have let her wear, let alone to school, but her stepmother, my GD, may have something to say about that).  Went into another new store that seemed to be all $5 $7 $10 racks, probably will fall apart after one washing, but she'll get enjoyment out of the 3 tops she picked out, so let her get them.

Home to lasagna which tasted even better heated up the what, 3rd time?  Had to cut the 6 scones in halves - they were going like hotcakes, and notice the teen girl grabbed one for the ride home.  Also gave her my recipe - she likes to bake and finagles with recipes, so told her as long as she didn't knead the dough too much, she'd be fine.  Maybe next time she gets down, we'll make a batch together.  That's the best way to learn.  Never did get to make dessert, so the kids had vanilla ice cream cones with jimmies.  Better for me, because now I won't be nibbling on the leftovers!  Funny, while she was here she was sketching - had a smudge on one of the pics and I asked her if she had an art gum eraser.  She never heard of it.  I looked in my desk drawer and there was one, probably from G.T.'s Mass College of Art days, and I gave it to her to put in her sachel.

DIL said there was little traffic on the way down, and googled some WBZ traffic watch before they left here, and saw an overhead pic of 128, moving right along with little traffic.

I have to go find something to TV watch and relax now.  Hope you all are having a good day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Hi all! We've had a couple of very busy weeks. The split week of July and August the kids preschool / daycare was closed for vacation bible school,  so I took a few 1/2 vacation days.  Luckily I was able to plan 2 play dates for DS during the week and Saturday our good friends and their DD came over.  Last week was pretty tough getting back into the swing of things, particularly getting out of the house in the mornings! But at least we weren't the only ones running late for school. DD started solids, rice cereal and oatmeal,  which is helping with night time sleeping.  I had a job interview and was offered the position,  but unfortunately it was not enough money. It was too bad because it was less than 30 minutes from home and only 4 days a week.   Saturday DS had his first birthday party for a school friend. We have 2 more in 2 weeks! He has a busier social calendar then I do. Today was pretty unproductive.  I hung one load of laundry and pick about a cup and a half of wild blackberries, before we went to lunch with my BIL.

I did get out shopping today and bought myself a new sewing machine! Mine is at least 15 year old and has a short. I got a heavy duty Singer. 1100 stitches per minute!  I'm nearly as excited as Kar and her stove.  But mine was a total impulse purchase.  I researched for only an hour this morning, I hope I like it! I saved  almost $90 between the sale price and saving on taxes. I also found superman and avenger flannel to make pjs for DS for Christmas and butterflies and elephants for DD. I also picked up a pattern for American doll clothes for my niece for Christmas and birthday. Once I get my sewing space reorganized, I'm thinking about starting a etsy store for extra spending money. I haven't quite figured out how they work but it seems like the best place to sell handmade items. 

Well both kids are asleep, so I should get them to bed and make DH something for lunch tomorrow. It will probably be cheerios for supper for me and leftover tacos for DH. Tomorrow night I must shred the zucchini that is taking up half the fridge before there are more to pick!  Have a great week! 

Saw :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So exhausted can barely think straight...

Skimmed a little - will catch up in good shape when my brain is engaged.

in the meantime, I see you got a new sewing machine, SAW, how exciting!  I don't sew, but I think you will love your heavy duty Singer; not a better name in that business. Enjoy!!  What do you like to do?  The kids' clothes?  You must save so much.  My grandmother was an expert seamstress and made all my mom's clothes including winter coats and prom gowns.

Apologies to everyone for not reading more just yet.  So tired can barely function.  After a good night's sleep I'll be back to myself.

Sections
Shortcuts